Nkunku | Chelsea player

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
boehly booting his fm save back up.

JuriM

Broja is coming off an ACL injury and has played 0 minutes since before the World Cup. He played no part in preseason. No one knows where he is with his recovery yet, don’t think he’s even training with the team yet, so I’m pretty sure we won’t see him for another month or two.
Oh wow, haven't seen any news of him having major setbacks. Didn't he do his ACL preseason last year? So it's been over a year already?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh wow, haven't seen any news of him having major setbacks. Didn't he do his ACL preseason last year? So it's been over a year already?
It was in November. It’s been about 9 months now. Very little updates on his recovery so far.

bringbackbebe

Sad when this happens to a player, especially when they move to a new club. Hope he recovers quick.

They have Lukaku, so not sure what's to worry about?

vodrake

Yet to see any player permanently remaining on the ground after being knocked down, so not sure if that's a benchmark to consider...
Not since the days that players used to have a whisky and a vodka prematch at least

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh for a reason I remembered that he got injured last pre-season.
Your memory is fine actually. He did get injured last preseason. He was sent back from the US tour because of it. The was a cloud of speculation around him and a potential move to Southampton at the time so a lot of people assumed he was missing because of that. It was very minor though, he rejoined the team within days.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think now will be Ian Maatsen’s time to rise up and make his name as a player, instead of getting dropped in here and there.

Noni can step up, and Olise would obviously help… but Nkunku brought something unique. I hope he recovers well.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I see a lot of ACL type guesses. I’m not a doctor, but my brother in law was on the orthopedics team for a Universities’ athletes before opening his practice (droning stories): If you are moving around the way he was afterward it seems very unlikely to be one of the stabilizing ligaments.

My guess, considering the way his leg came down and the impact, would be something like the Patellar Meniscus? (Part that holds your little kneecap bone in place) Just partially torn and people come back after weeks of rest and rehab. In some sports you can play without one at all. If the tear turns out to be 50% or more the safest route long term is surgery, and the surgery recovery is what makes it months. BUT, if that guess is correct the quality of the recovery and success rate for athletes is very high.

That guess could be totally wrong, but it would fit all 3 factors (the film of the actual Injury happening , how he looked moving after the injury, the way the timeline changed)

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
The small small silver lining is I actually felt Jackson looked better in pre season when he was the main man up top as opposed to playing second fiddle to a Christo centered attack.

The worry now is we nullify even that by panic buying a number 9, getting Felix back on loan as a placeholder doesn't sound like too bad an idea a point and this is coming from someone who thinks he's hideously overrated.
We played well with him and without him too in pre season. Yes he mostly played as striker in first part of pre season until Fulham game first half. Tactically it's major blow though for pochettino. He surely planned start of the season with nkunku in all possible tactics.

Chukwuemeka or maatsen one of them will start instead of nkunku. Our front four will be like

---mudryk---chukwu/maatsen---sterling

-----------------------jackson-----------------------

If pochettino go by pre season form sterling should stay in bench but he is the only experienced attacker in our squad and hopefully he ups his game.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I see a lot of ACL type guesses. I’m not a doctor, but my brother in law was on the orthopedics team for a Universities’ athletes before opening his practice (droning stories): If you are moving around the way he was afterward it seems very unlikely to be one of the stabilizing ligaments.

My guess, considering the way his leg came down and the impact, would be something like the Patellar Meniscus? (Part that holds your little kneecap bone in place) Just partially torn and people come back after weeks of rest and rehab. In some sports you can play without one at all. If the tear turns out to be 50% or more the safest route long term is surgery, and the surgery recovery is what makes it months. BUT, if that guess is correct the quality of the recovery and success rate for athletes is very high.

That guess could be totally wrong, but it would fit all 3 factors (the film of the actual Injury happening , how he looked moving after the injury, the way the timeline changed)
It's confirmed to be a meniscus injury requiring surgery. The timeline lines up with them repairing it instead of shaving it, which makes sense for his long-term prospects.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I've had injuries on both of my knees and at the time tried to "run it off", been able to walk away but then seized up soon after or the next day unable to walk. You can get fully functionality over time but there will always be that extra bit of healing fluid left in the knee and it won't feel the same internally. Really horrible injuries because they come out from nowhere and at the time don't feel serious.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Got to seriously feel sorry for the kid, but Chelsea need to stop buying players with long injury records and think they can be relied upon if they want to compete.

Chief123

For some reason I thought he was a lot younger. He turns 26 in a couple of months.

Hughes35

There's no way they don't repair his meniscus. He's only 25.
Nothing to do with age. Some are just not repairable.

One of mine was repairable, one had moved completely out of position.

I'd imagine his probably is repairable mind as that's more common.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Lack of depth isn't an issue when you aren't in European competitions. It's better to have a smaller squad in that scenario. Managing a big squad is far more difficult, but is required with big clubs as they usually are in Europe.
It has more to do with "quality depth." Which is still important for a team without European competition and trying to get top four. Nkunku was going to be there main man uptop. His importance is akin to how important rashford is for us and now, with his absence they don't have barely enough quality in depth to replace him. Carni is just 19 and even though he has potential, he is not fully developed yet. So, this type of depth is an issue when trying to be competitive.

I don't buy this excuse of nkunku or burst. Yes he is quality and will be missed much but squad has enough to mount a challenge for champions league spot.

He will get four more players before window shut. I have faith in pochettino and he will make us play very good football and keep us in cl spot. But don't give him excuse even before season started.
An attack of Jackson, Mudryk/sterling, carni/Gallagher, and madueke is enough to mount a challenge for a champion league spot? Last season these players had a combine goal tally of less then 10 :lol:. Only thing quality about that attack is their potential. Jackson and Mudryk will have to explode into top class talent this season if they would somehow make it into top four. It isn't an excuse but reality.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It has more to do with "quality depth." Which is still important for a team without European competition and trying to get top four. Nkunku was going to be there main man uptop. His importance is akin to how important rashford is for us and now, with his absence they don't have barely enough quality in depth to replace him. Carni is just 19 and even though he has potential, he is not fully developed yet. So, this type of depth is an issue when trying to be competitive.

An attack of Jackson, Mudryk/sterling, carni/Gallagher, and madueke is enough to mount a challenge for a champion league spot? Last season these players had a combine goal tally of less then 10 :lol:. Only thing quality about that attack is their potential. Jackson and Mudryk will have to explode into top class talent this season if they would somehow make it into top four. It isn't an excuse but reality.
And yet must have cost close to £200M combined? So again you need to question their work in market then surely?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Of course it's the speciality of pochettino isn't it. He developed young kids into stars. I liked what I saw from preseason. Players are fit and fight for the shirt. Let's see what s in the locker. Then I will decide this team have in it or not.

Once again I am not concerned about their lack of goals from last season. He said he want to win from first game. I liked his confidence much. So why i want to downgrade my expectation. I just want to see players come out of the block all guns blazing. Give it all for the shirt. I am very much confident we are in cl spot at the end of the season.

And he will get what he needed. Reports of four more players he wanted he will get it before window closed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

It's less depth and more Nkunku was the only one who provided proper attacking thrust, threat in behind and a goal threat.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
And yet must have cost close to £200M combined? So again you need to question their work in market then surely?

Of course it's the speciality of pochettino isn't it. He developed young kids into stars. I liked what I saw from preseason. Players are fit and fight for the shirt. Let's see what s in the locker. Then I will decide this team have in it or not.

Once again I am not concerned about their lack of goals from last season. He said he want to win from first game. I liked his confidence much. So why i want to downgrade my expectation. I just want to see players come out of the block all guns blazing. Give it all for the shirt. I am very much confident we are in cl spot at the end of the season.

And he will get what he needed. Reports of four more players he wanted he will get it before window closed.
Let see if that happens because the first team squad definitely needs some work if they are to mount a challenge for top four. This squad does fit pochettino, but to be competitive, they need more quality.

It's less depth and more Nkunku was the only one who provided proper attacking thrust, threat in behind and a goal threat.

That is why I mentioned quality depth because big team should rely on more than one player to do that. Unless jackson and Mudryk has a breakout season, I do not see where else their goals will come from.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
What's going on with him, looks like another set back

"I am a little bit worried about the situation of Nkunku because he has been unable to train for 10 days, and we are still going to assess what will happen," Pochettino revealed.

"In my first conference, after he suffered a small issue, it was complicated, and now it is between eight and 10 days without training, and we waited nearly six months for him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That knee injury seems to have really done a number on him. Shame, as I was looking forward to seeing him this season, might only see the real. Him towards the tail end now.

Teja

Let see if that happens because the first team squad definitely needs some work if they are to mount a challenge for top four. This squad does fit pochettino, but to be competitive, they need more quality.
They seem to believe buying young players and letting them hit their peaks together is the way to do it. It's an interesting experiment, let's see.