"No big clubs wanted me" Van Der Sar

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Didnt that West Brom game end 2:2 and we lost the title on GD? And yes thats my no1 memory of VDS
2-2 yep from 2-0 up but we won the league that season. That was the only home game we failed to win that season.

stubie

Interesting that he moved to Fulham the season Barthez started his decline

Looking back I wished we could have signed him in 2003 instead of Howard

Oranges038

He was top class, maybe the few years at Fulham ultimately helped him become a better player.

Anyway, I think one of my favourites was saving a Vassell penalty in the derby, 07 I think, which meant they finished the season without having scored a home goal since the start of the year.

Falcow

It should be a lesson to all. There are some excellent players out there, just because they don't play for a big club, or have pushy agents doesn't mean that they can't do a good job. So when United, as widely reported want to sign a CF and CD this summer, everyone should appreciate a big fee or a big name doesn't always bring success, and having neither should also not be a decisive factor. This is when our new structure could and should pay for itself.
Good point, Schmeichel, Irwin, Kanchelskis, Evra, Vidic and Park are all great examples of this along with VDS. I'm sure we have plenty more examples.

As for VDS, surprised at few posts above saying they didnt want him etc, I thought it was widely accepted that he was a top keeper playing for the wrong club. I was thrilled when we signed him. What a keeper.

K Stand Knut

I dont get this, how can someone be "livid" over a signing? I can understand baffled or unimpressed but livid?
I remember how poor we’d been that season and how I felt GK was a huge priority with Carroll and Howard as the other options.

I may also have had anger issues as a younger man.

Think I was in Selfridges at the time and remember punching a mannequin in the face

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
@FujiVice and he wasn’t shabby there either. Maybe clubs just assumed he was on the decline after leaving Juve. A blessing for United.

davidmichael

Van Der Sar was about in an era with Schmeichel, Kahn, Buffon, Seaman, Taffarel, Peruzzi, Kopke, Pagliuca and Barthez pre us which is just off the top of my head and his stint at Juve seriously damaged his stock as he looked like a keeper who couldn’t really cut it at a major club outside of in Holland.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and knowing now what we didn’t then means we’d have got rid of Barthez and signed Van Der Sar from Juve for sure, my memory isn’t great from back then but didn’t Van Der Sar leave Ajax the same summer Schmeichel left us after winning the treble.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It was the bad experience he had at Juve which scared the big clubs off him IMO.

I remember we were massively in for him when he was at Ajax but he ultimately decided to go to Juve. A missed opportunity as I think back the struggles we had back then from Van der Gouw (though he was by no means a bad player and was actually pretty decent all in all, especially compared to what came after him), Taibi, Ricardo, Barthez, Carroll and Howard etc.

Still, he came in the end and was a fantastic servant for as long as he was here.
Didn't Henry also have a bad experience at Juve?

They let go of Henry and Van der Sar.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Van Der Sar was about in an era with Schmeichel, Kahn, Buffon, Seaman, Taffarel, Peruzzi, Kopke, Pagliuca and Barthez pre us which is just off the top of my head and his stint at Juve seriously damaged his stock as he looked like a keeper who couldn’t really cut it at a major club outside of in Holland.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and knowing now what we didn’t then means we’d have got rid of Barthez and signed Van Der Sar from Juve for sure, my memory isn’t great from back then but didn’t Van Der Sar leave Ajax the same summer Schmeichel left us after winning the treble.
He did. He signed with Juve around May/June 1999, may have agreed earlier.

ti vu

He needed that time out of pressure cooking environment to recollect himself at a smaller club after his Juventus stint TBF. And adapt to PL pace, physicality. A ball playing GK by trade low on confidence, definitely time to adapt to PL to bring out his best ability. IIRC He still made questionable mistake during his first 3 years at Fulham. Only his final season, he looked to come out of it at top of his game.

I think we picked him up at the right time. We were in no good position to fix a broken GK back then.

Yes. He left Ajax same time at Big Pete left us. There were few factors in place. Juventus, Serie A definitely a huge lure despite us just winning a Treble. Edwards had different idea. Already stroke some agreement with Bosnich, so we're not as serious as Juventus who definitely needed a new no 1.

Gopher Brown

He was a 'top team' keeper - which is a very different job I feel to a normal keeper. A keeper for a top team often needs to do nothing for 89 min then pull out a big save. I think a lot of keepers don't work out when they move to a big club because they're not used to not being involved. Our defence was so strong too then, that it was even more pronounced.

Falcow

I think Toldo played in goal for Italy back then or at least I remember him being brilliant for them in Euro 2000.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I must admit that I was livid when we signed him.

I was very wrong about him.
I was a bit disappointed Fulham signed him. I know he had his struggles at Juventus but guy was a top keeper for Holland and Ajax where he won the CL.

i still can't get over the fact that we replaced Schmikes with Mark Bosnich.

GueRed

With hindsight we should've moved in faster for Edwin's signature in 1999 to replace Schmichel.

We left it late.

Juventus moved in first and agreed in principle to join them so he understanably turned our late attempt down.

I remember us being linked to a host of GK's during that 98/99 season. Richard Wright, Carlos Roa, Barthez, Van Der Sar the constant names.

Although he was a top Premiership keeper at the time I think Bosnich was 4th or 5th choice for Fergie.

Reactions: Cheimoon

davidmichael

I think Toldo played in goal for Italy back then or at least I remember him being brilliant for them in Euro 2000.
Didn’t Toldo play because of Buffon or Peruzzi being injured ? He’s another keeper I forgot to list though, between 1995 and 2005 there was probably around 15 world class keepers that could have played for any club on any level.

K Stand Knut

I remember him being considered top tier as well. Chilavert is another name linked with big moves that never happened.
i think these names were the reason I used the word ‘livid’ in my earlier post.

Im sure we were being linked with all the top keepers and then we signed VdS from Fulham.

Ive grown up since and realised that most transfer stories are horse poop!

GueRed

We were heavily linked to Toldo during the 1999/00 season to solve our GK crisis. Was a top keeper at the time.

darko

I must admit that I was livid when we signed him.

I was very wrong about him.
I couldn't understand why we didn't sign him earlier prefering to try a bunch of hacks (except for Tim Howard who was a decent GK). Edwin was pure class. The best GK United ever had.

GueRed

I couldn't understand why we didn't sign him earlier prefering to try a bunch of hacks (except for Tim Howard who was a decent GK). Edwin was pure class. The best GK United ever had.
Wrong.

Peter Schmeichel is the best ever. :)

GueRed

Absolutely bizarre nobody wanted him. You only had to watch him for Fulham to know he was top class.

I was chuffed when we bought him. It was a low key signing but I knew our keeper situation was sorted with him on board and I can't believe it took so long for us to sort out the mess.

Was really pleased how long we got out of him though, a real bonus. I initially expected him to be an excellent experienced stop gap allowing us time to recruit a younger keeper.
Same I thought he would be a stop gap...a quality stop gap albeit, because he had pedigree. I didnt think he would last as long as he did at such a high level though!

He was fantastic in his first season. It was like he had been at the club for years.

World class keeper at Ajax and then us.

Shame his Juventus experience didnt turn out great for him...he was a flop over there. Was often shakey in games.

Falcow

Didn’t Toldo play because of Buffon or Peruzzi being injured ? He’s another keeper I forgot to list though, between 1995 and 2005 there was probably around 15 world class keepers that could have played for any club on any level.
That could have been it. Crazy to think Buffon still plays.

Yes there was, even in England, you had Tim Flowers, David Seaman, Khan in Germany

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ironically, history seem to be repeating himself in his post-playing days. Whilst we're promoting some guy no one's heard of to DOF, Edwin is stuck at Ajax.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The quality of keepers in Serie A at that period was immense. Toldo, Perruzzi, Pagliuca, Buffon, De Sanctis, Frey, Tafferel, Marchegiani, Abbiati.

alexthelion

Van der sar was a good solid unspectacular keeper and was exactly what the club needed at the time.

After years of unreliable keepers who made countless mistakes, he was a breath of fresh air and after Vidic was signed, he was the perfect keeper to play behind Vidic and Rio. They didn't need a superstar keeper. They needed a good organiser who didn't make mistakes and saved what he should save.

That's what he was. He shouldn't even be in the conversation with Schmeichel as he's nowhere near his level but United was the perfect club for him at the ideal time.
That's rubbish, Big Pete at his best was very good but he was very in consistent, whereas Edwin was the opposite, consistent and the best organiser of a defence we've had.

OverratedOpinion

Being a goalkeeper is bloody hard.

A striker can miss 3 sitters in a game and then score in the next 2 and his mistakes are forgotten. A keeper can make 3 high profile mistakes in a season and people think he is crap. From what I remember Edwin was a bit hit and miss at Juve and that probably stuck with him.

Cloud7

Peter was great, De Gea had his flashy moments, but in my time as a United fan VDS has been my favorite keeper.