Television Noir Detective TV

Mark Pawelek

All the detective series I like seem to wallow in gloom and Noirish twilight. Recurring themes: Detectives dedicated to their jobs. Quite intricate plots, sub-plots, and plot-twists. Realist drama: meaning not often so real as in you believe it could happen (especially some of the body counts), but 'realist' in suspending disbelief. Even the Sci-Fi of Fringe seems to happen within clearly defined rules writers made for themselves. I hate Deus ex-machina, and lazy, impossible plots. These usually feature dry Noir-like humour, or should that be 'irony'?

Here are some recommended ones. Can you recommend one yourself, for me?

Title​
# series​
Bosch​
6 +​
Centred on ex-special forces homicide detective with a long kill record, but honest as the day is long (in his own eyes). Each season one or two crimes are solved. Recurring meta-story of the first 6 series is his attempt to solve the long cold case of his prostitute mother's murder.​
The Bridge​
4​
Subtitled. Saga is the very competent but unnerving Asperger's-like female detective entirely lacking social graces. Øresund Bridge, links Malmö (Sweden) with Copenhagen (Denmark). The action happens in both countries.​
Endeavour​
6​
Set in Oxford, England from about 1965 onward. Detective Endeavour mostly solves murders.​
Foyle's War​
7​
Set in England during World War II (first 6 series). In the 7th he's with MI5 post-war​
Fringe​
5​
Not purely in the detective genre. They solve Sci-fi crimes. Initially similar to X-files - the 'Fringe squad' investigate fringe events. Solve crimes instigated from parallel universes and eventually thwart an 'alien' invasion. Recurring meta-plot? More than one; each character has their own.​
Justified​
6​
Adventures of a US Marshall around Harlan, Kentucky who's quite the cowboy: Quick draw, Stetson, rocky love life, hard-drinking, bar fights, …​
The Killing​
3​
Subtitled. Danish version of course. A bit slow. Inspector Sarah Lund is a dogged detective absolutely dedicated to solving the killing and bringing the murderer to justice (at any cost to herself). The initial Killing is the meta-story.​
Montalbano​
14​
Subtitled. 14 series but sometimes a series has only 2 episodes. Italian detective series set in Sicily. The Italians are portrayed as almost cut-out cliches and I never believed real Italians were like that until I worked with a few. Very humanist plots.​
The Shield​
7​
Mostly about a corrupt LA cop vice squad controlling the drug trade and making sure they have plenty put away for retirement.​
True Detective​
3​
Series 1 features another Asperger's-like character. Bloke this time. It has a doom-laden serial killer / 'Silence of the Lambs' quality to it. Series 2 and 3 are entirely different with new actors, characters, locations, styles Not seen 3. 2 was OK but not exceptional.​
Veronica Mars​
4​
Features blond teenage Californian girl through high school and uni (sound familiar?) who moonlights as a private eye. Veronica has a similar sassy put-down repertoire to Buffy plus a scooby squad helping her: Wallace and "Mac" (geek girl). Glad I wrote this because I now discovered a 4th season made 13 years after the first 3! There's a movie too you'll need to watch set after the 3rd series featuring the same characters. Recurring meta-story of the first 3 series was Veronica's attempt to solve the murder of her best friend and her own rape which both happened before High School.​
The Wire​
5​
Realistic. If it has a weakness, for me it'll be the characters are too real : meaning not OTT like say: Raylon (Justified), Saga, Olivia and Walter (Fringe), …​

littlepeasoup

Definitely think Terriers fits into the noir/detective genre. It's an older show, 2009-2010 I think, and they only made one season, but it's a brilliant self-contained one of those.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I feel like noir should have a certain vintage style to it that a lot of these don't. It's not neccessarily the correct use of the word, but I feel like it should be.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hinterland you might like. Sort of Scandinavian style cop show but based in dramatic mid West wales setting. Moody troubled lead character fighting his demons whilst solving some dark cases.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

The signature narration style in Film Noir. A bored-looking, world-weary, utterly cynical Hardboiled Detective with his feet on the desk meets a Femme Fatale, while the voiceover gives us his mental play-by-play:

"She walked through my door like a tigress walks into a Burmese orphanage -- strawberry blonde and legs for hours. No dame her age could afford a coat like that, and the kinda makeup she had on gave me a good idea how she got it. She had bad news written on her like October of '29."

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The signature narration style in Film Noir. A bored-looking, world-weary, utterly cynical Hardboiled Detective with his feet on the desk meets a Femme Fatale, while the voiceover gives us his mental play-by-play:

"She walked through my door like a tigress walks into a Burmese orphanage -- strawberry blonde and legs for hours. No dame her age could afford a coat like that, and the kinda makeup she had on gave me a good idea how she got it. She had bad news written on her like October of '29."
This immediately made me think of Max Payne. That voice is perfect for this kind of thing.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
1) Too Old to Die Young (Amazon) - absolutely watch this, created by Nicholas Refn (Drive) and Ed Brubaker (Criminal graphic novels)
2) Utopia (UK) - Amazon just came out with a new one but watch the classic UK
3) Spiral (Fra) - from the 2000s this is a great French courtroom noir show,
4) Perpetual Grace (US) Ben Kingsley in a great role with a great story
5) Longmire - western noir