Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Zen86

What I don't believe is that Haaland automatically causes City to have less control and creativity. Or that having him in the team means City has to play in a fundamentally different, and detrimental, way.
It clearly does effect the way they play though. They now have a big unit up front with the sole aim of getting on the end of crosses and final balls, rather than contributing to buildup play. Of course that’s going to have an impact. Whether that’s an overall positive or negative is something we’ll find out over the course of the season.

justsomebloke

It clearly does effect the way they play though. They now have a big unit up front with the sole aim of getting on the end of crosses and final balls, rather than contributing to buildup play. Of course that’s going to have an impact. Whether that’s an overall positive or negative is something we’ll find out over the course of the season.
Well, that's exactly the kind of exaggeration and unproductive oversimplification I'm talking about. True, he has little involvement in buildup further back on the pitch, but he is clearly very involved not just in finishing chances but in creating them. He's got 0.26 assists/90 - good for fourth best on City, after KDB, Silva and Foden. He's second in expected assisted goals/90, after KDB. He has the most touches in the oppo box/90 of any City player.

Zen86

Well, that's exactly the kind of exaggeration and unproductive oversimplification I'm talking about. True, he has little involvement in buildup further back on the pitch, but he is clearly very involved not just in finishing chances but in creating them. He's got 0.26 assists/90 - good for fourth best on City, after KDB, Silva and Foden. He's second in expected assisted goals/90, after KDB. He has the most touches in the oppo box/90 of any City player.
Why is it an exaggeration? I’m not saying he’s incapable of making a pass, but he’s clearly more limited in those areas than who he’s effectively replaced. We all know he’s there purely to score goals, so there’s no point in beating around the bush.

justsomebloke

Why is it an exaggeration? I’m not saying he’s incapable of making a pass, but he’s clearly more limited in those areas than who he’s effectively replaced. We all know he’s there purely to score goals, so there’s no point in beating around the bush.
I already bolded the most obvious exaggeration in the post you quoted. In which you wrote that his sole aim was getting at the end of crosses and final balls. Which quite obviously is not the case. If it was, he wouldn't be second in expected assisted goals, or have the most touches in the box of any City player. Which means that your idea of his role and how he plays is imprecise, inaccurate and exaggerated.

Anderson_7_

One good thing about tomorrow’s final between Argentina and France is that Haaland loses in this no matter what the outcome.

Mbappe lifting his second World Cup trophy or Alvarez (his substitute) lifting his first and coming back at City as #1 superstar striker.

Either of these two outcomes will sting like a mf. His stock is going down. :drool:

Eriku

No. No you don’t. It’s incredibly easy to not like him at all. Obviously helps he plays for Manchester City but even so…
I really don’t see why people find him so hateable, it’s always superficial stuff about a punchable face. He’s light-hearted and a breath of fresh air in interviews, even if he’s not your cup of tea.

Rockets Redglare

I really don’t see why people find him so hateable, it’s always superficial stuff about a punchable face. He’s light-hearted and a breath of fresh air in interviews, even if he’s not your cup of tea.
He plays for City and he’s an arrogant smug cnut. Surely that’s enough of a reason for a United fan?

zaafi

One good thing about tomorrow’s final between Argentina and France is that Haaland loses in this no matter what the outcome.

Mbappe lifting his second World Cup trophy or Alvarez (his substitute) lifting his first and coming back at City as #1 superstar striker.

Either of these two outcomes will sting like a mf. His stock is going down. :drool:
Imagine a grown man being this obsessed. Alvarez is not going to take Haaland's spot and you know it.

Did he shag your girlfriend at some point growing up or something? This obsession is just creepy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think he’s very likeable unfortunately. There’s a bit of Zlatan in him.

Eriku

He plays for City and he’s an arrogant smug cnut. Surely that’s enough of a reason for a United fan?
Smug arrogant cnut? Less so than Ibra, did you think the same of him?

And just because he’s confident and expresses it doesn’t mean he’s those things.

massi83

Smug arrogant cnut? Less so than Ibra, did you think the same of him?

And just because he’s confident and expresses it doesn’t mean he’s those things.
He is a cnut, son of a cnut, playing for a cnut team. I am sure there is a Norwegian forum to fawn over him. 2,5/3 serious

zaafi

Not that you have a biased perspective either or anything.
I wasn't talking about Haaland, but it was a response to the whole idea of hating players for playing for other teams than United. I get the point about rivalries but I'm not 15 years old anymore.

When it comes to Haaland, though, I fecking love the guy. :devil:

tothetop96

You're weird

Eriku

He is a cnut, son of a cnut, playing for a cnut team. I am sure there is a Norwegian forum to fawn over him. 2,5/3 serious
feck off, I’m not fawning. Just finding the vitriol curious.

Will agree that his dad’s a cnut and he’s in a cnut team though.

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah, like he would have joined us :lol: a Haaland will never want to play for United.
He’s on record as saying the Keane incident would play no bearing on his decision. Of course he could have just been paying lip service, and I guess his dad did play for both City and Leeds, although not Liverpool at least haha

Traub

feck off, I’m not fawning. Just finding the vitriol curious.

Will agree that his dad’s a cnut and he’s in a cnut team though.
I mean your location gives away why you support him. Which is fair enough, I’d be the same if I was Norwegian. However, don’t expect a United forum to have anything but disdain for him.

Eriku

Zlatan played for United, not City.
That’s arbitrary tribal nonsense :lol:

Also: Schmeichel, Andy Cole, Denis Law, Matt Busby (he played for Liverpool too)

cnuts?

I mean your location gives away why you support him. Which is fair enough, I’d be the same if I was Norwegian. However, don’t expect a United forum to have anything but disdain for him.
I’m not a huge patriot. I’ve always thought John Arne Riise was a massive twat, no matter how useful he was for Norway. I can keep two thoughts in my head, crazily enough.

People need to stop with the lazy, superficial assumptions.

Rockets Redglare

That’s arbitrary tribal nonsense :lol:

Also: Schmeichel, Andy Cole, Denis Law, Matt Busby (he played for Liverpool too)

cnuts?

I’m not a huge patriot. I’ve always thought John Arne Riise was a massive twat, no matter how useful he was for Norway. I can keep two thoughts in my head, crazily enough.

People need to stop with the lazy, superficial assumptions.
Ok then:
Schmeichel- cnut but great player for United.
Cole- Not a cnut.
Law and Busby were well before my time, no idea if they were cnuts or not.

My point is that as a United fan I’m willing to overlook certain players cnutish behaviour while they’re at the club, and let’s be honest 90% of professional footballers are the absolute worst.
But as a United fan I find it very strange that someone would fanboy a player for one of our biggest rivals, but everyone is different.

Also if Haaland was here I’d love him like my own son, he’s fecking unbelievably good.

Eriku

Ok then:
Schmeichel- cnut but great player for United.
Cole- Not a cnut.
Law and Busby were well before my time, no idea if they were cnuts or not.

My point is that as a United fan I’m willing to overlook certain players cnutish behaviour while they’re at the club, and let’s be honest 90% of professional footballers are the absolute worst.
But as a United fan I find it very strange that someone would fanboy a player for one of our biggest rivals, but everyone is different.

Also if Haaland was here I’d love him like my own son, he’s fecking unbelievably good.
What’s the cnutish behaviour, though? A cheeky sense of humour doesn’t qualify, for me.

Anyway, I will admit some of my enthusiasm is down to me being Norwegian. Me not thinking he is a cnut is not down to that, though.

Abraxas

Nothing wrong with him from what I can see of his public persona. Just doesn't do the media trained rubbish and is confident, which he should be at his level and doing what he does.

It's the fact he plays for City and is ridiculously good that is annoying. His dress sense is laughable but I suppose that's neither here nor there.