Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The World Cup is the pinnacle of football.

Removing it ruins the passion, as you only have players literally playing only for money in clubs.

Winning a trophy with your people will always be more satisfying, than winning something with some other foreigner players who are just there because they got paid shiton of money to be there.

The celebrations from WC winners are another level, true real happiness, you don't get that level of happiness from CL winners, except very few cases.

I don't think the WC shows the better football, but i respect what it means for people and players.
Just look at the relief and happiness from Messi's face and it is for everyone to see what World cup is meant for him. It is everything. He said already he would trade all his Ballon d'Or for a world cup trophy.

jm99

For longevity and consistency, Messi is way better than Maradona for sure. In terms of talent and football ability, leadership, and as a football player, I am not sure if Messi is better. Maradona played in the era the defense and tackles were completely different than today's standard.
And Messi plays in a time where players don't go out drinking, smoking and snorting cocaine every weekend, so there's that

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
And Messi plays in a time where players don't go out drinking, smoking and snorting cocaine every weekend, so there's that
To be fair, Maradona was pretty elite in the snorting departement as well

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
This is just pure nonsense, as any person having seen the tournament knows. He missed 2 games after his red card, after being really average in the group stage!

His Euro 2000 was excellent though.
People who saw the tournament chose him in the team of the tournament before the final was even played.

Yes, i did watch the tournament, more than once btw, cause is still my favorite WC till nowadays.

His Euro 2000 was even 100 times better.

jm99

To be fair, Maradona was pretty elite in the snorting departement as well
Yeah true, but I'd imagine at that time the gap between the best players and the rest was probably bigger because it mostly just came down to natural talent, no sports scientists, dieticians, tactics being lesser. Not to mention much less money in the game, I'm not sure how much less but I'd imagine this impacted the smaller teams far more, as the biggest teams probably could still pay players enough to attract the best but as you go down the league, less players could afford to make a living just playing football, meaning a smaller pool to choose from

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
There is a reason why Maradona is considered as one of the greatest football player, even though he didn't score many goals in today's standard. Same can be said for Zindane too.
Maradona played against tough defenders and in times where you could break a leg, and sometimes not even get a red card.
Also when scoring rates were much lower than now, due to more defensive set ups.

LennartsParadis

People give it far too much weight. There are people who genuinely believe Maradona was better than Messi! Almost entirely because of his world cup performances - a few games every four years.
We've got this idea into our heads that the great players are the ones who perform well in the World Cup and nobody else matters. In fact it's probably why Haaland won't be remembered as one of the all time greats.
The WC was the biggest stage at the time. In some ways it still is, even though CL is on par/eclipsed it today.
It's all about showing up on the BIGGEST stage.

Ladron de redcafe

Just look at the relief and happiness from Messi's face and it is for everyone to see what World cup is meant for him. It is everything. He said already he would trade all his Ballon d'Or for a world cup trophy.
Yeah and he said the same thing even when he hadn't won it. The world cup is by a comfortable distance the most important competition in the sport for many footballers. Winning it the way he did will be his proudest accomplishment by a country mile. Similarly, Maradona's exploits in 86 are by far the most important thing he ever did and the reason many had him as the greatest ever (or part of of the consensus triumvirate of Messi, Maradona, and Pelé).

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yep, I never saw Messi that happy celebrating a CL with Barca, not even close.

Ronaldo also was way more happy when he won the Euro 2016 than in all his CL wins with Madrid combined.

Winning with your countrymen will always mean more than winning a trophy with a superteam assembled with money, and playing for a club that isn't even from your country.

next_number_seven

Yeah and he said the same thing even when he hadn't won it. The world cup is by a comfortable distance the most important competition in the sport for many footballers. Winning it the way he did will be his proudest accomplishment by a country mile. Similarly, Maradona's exploits in 86 are by far the most important thing he ever did and the reason many had him as the greatest ever (or part of of the consensus triumvirate of Messi, Maradona, and Pelé).
I think when Maradona died, someone said "I'm not sure he was the best, but his best was the best".

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I struggle to imagine any talented football-mad kid growing up NOT dreaming of winning the World Cup.

I guess it may be different in England, as you may dream of winning stuff with your club too, probably the same if you are Spanish, but already doubt if you were German or Italian you'd put club over country.

The moment your country of origin means you would be playing for some big club in a foreign country, it's the World Cup and nothing else.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
I've never understood the infatuation with international football. I couldn't care less about it.

j65454

I've never understood the infatuation with international football. I couldn't care less about it.
The vast majority of football players, football fan, in fact the majority of people in general, would disagree with you. It's by miles the biggest followed football competition in the world and nothing else comes even close. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Last edited:

j65454

I fail to see how any true fan of football could show no interest in the football World Cup. I'd say they were a fan of something else and it's not football. Maybe they are "glory seekers", a fan of a big money brand that they some how think they are part of and can go around shouting about cheaply to other people, but they're no fan of football in my humble opinion.

jm99

Its a remnant from a time when club football didn't have billions and billions of pounds in it and it was genuinely the highest level of football. But it's hard to change people's minds when they've grown up hearing that it's the pinnacle of football

j65454

Its a remnant from a time when club football didn't have billions and billions of pounds in it and it was genuinely the highest level of football. But it's hard to change people's minds when they've grown up hearing that it's the pinnacle of football

It's by far the biggest and greatest football stage in the world today. It's as simply as that. There's no question about it, it's just the fact. There's nothing in club football that even comes remotely close. That's not talking about the past, it's talking about today.

Also, unlike club football teams, it doesn't involve buying titles like Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Barca, Real, Blackburn, Chelsea etc etc do and have done in club football.

On another note there's a difference a with a player playing well surrounded by all the best players bought in the world, dominating a league and a player turning up and showing true quality when your team mates are not the best in the world. So many players shine when surrounded by a team bought to win a title, a team dominating everything through steeling every other clubs best players , yet don't show up when not surrounded by the same for a national side. I'd question their true quality. Sadly some people make excuses for them. There are some United players who today are regarded as the best ever, when taken out their comfort zone at a dominating United who had the best of everyone apart from Real and barca, were pretty rubbish for their national sides.

Last edited:

jm99

It's by far the biggest and greatest football stage in the world today. It's as simply as that. There's no question about it, it's just the fact. There's nothing in club football that even come remotely close. That's not talking about the past, it's talking about today.
I'd say in 20-30 years time, people who've grown up with club football as the uncontested best level of football, who can watch every game from around the world in high definition, rather than only seeing several players play at world cups and not the rest of the time, international football will be seen as more of an irrelevance

I mean look at the recent international break, how many people actually gave a shit, and how many would have rather given all our players a few weeks off and had no international football

KeanoMagicHat

I'd say in 20-30 years time, people who've grown up with club football as the uncontested best level of football, who can watch every game from around the world in high definition, rather than only seeing several players play at world cups and not the rest of the time, international football will be seen as more of an irrelevance

I mean look at the recent international break, how many people actually gave a shit, and how many would have rather given all our players a few weeks off and had no international football
Nah no chance, the scarcity makes it special the more of something makes it less special. National pride will always be a bigger deal than club pride, it’s a global game. The World Cup is the biggest deal in sport, you can’t compare. I’ve personally found the Champions League to be a big let down compared to the excitement of the World Cup, in fact the whole season has been overwhelmed by it.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

May be. I doubt it. I highly doubt anyone live outside of England and Spain care more if EPL big 6 or Liga big 2 win the CL than their own country's performance in World cup.

jm99

Nah no chance, the scarcity makes it special the more of something makes it less special. National pride will always be a bigger deal than club pride, it’s a global game. The World Cup is the biggest deal in sport, you can’t compare. I’ve personally found the Champions League to be a big let down compared to the excitement of the World Cup, in fact the whole season has been overwhelmed by it.
Tbf this seasons champions league has been somewhat worse with stronger teams like Liverpool, Barcelona, psg being knocked out early. Plus there's only been 22 world cups ever, but the more that number increases the less it will feel quite as scarce. There was definitely a point in the mid 2010s where if real and Barca had played each other in the CL final it would have overshadowed any world cup game.

jm99

May be. I doubt it. I highly doubt anyone live outside of England and Spain care more if EPL big 6 or Liga big 2 win the CL than their own country's performance in World cup.
Well I mean yeah obviously, if a minnow wins the world cup it's going to be an absolutely huge deal, but theres only a handful of nations that ever actually have a chance. I mean I can't speak for them, but I'd imagine when Leicester won the premeir league, that was a far bigger deal for their fans than anything England could win

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Well I mean yeah obviously, if a minnow wins the world cup it's going to be an absolutely huge deal, but theres only a handful of nations that ever actually have a chance. I mean I can't speak for them, but I'd imagine when Leicester won the premeir league, that was a far bigger deal for their fans than anything England could win
To a lot of countries, even qualify for the world cup, or make it to the knock out stage is already a HUGE deal.

jm99

To a lot of countries, even qualify for the world cup, or make it to the knock out stage is already a HUGE deal.
Well yes, but equally there's a ton of clubs for whom making the knockout stage of the champions league would be a huge deal.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
People who saw the tournament chose him in the team of the tournament before the final was even played.

Yes, i did watch the tournament, more than once btw, cause is still my favorite WC till nowadays.

His Euro 2000 was even 100 times better.
By chance, do you have a link to this "team of the tournament" you have mentioned twice now? I can't seem to find anything official and the only thing I can find where he is included seems to have been written by a 14yo who mentions everything about Zidane bar his WC performances. Also mentions he helped his team get past Paraguay which is quite a feat since he didn't play in that game!

And icing on the cake, it didn't include Deschamps who was massive in that tournament. From the 98 squad, I'd say Blanc, Desailly, Deschamps and Barthez were all better and more important than Zidane, and you could make a case for Djorkaeff and Petit too. You say you watched him in that tournament, I honestly recommend you go back and watch again, he wasn't great at all.

But you seem to deal in hyperbole with your "100 times better" quote, so maybe we'll just leave it at that.

Libero_of_Yore

By chance, do you have a link to this "team of the tournament" you have mentioned twice now? I can't seem to find anything official and the only thing I can find where he is included seems to have been written by a 14yo who mentions everything about Zidane bar his WC performances. Also mentions he helped his team get past Paraguay which is quite a feat since he didn't play in that game!

And icing on the cake, it didn't include Deschamps who was massive in that tournament. From the 98 squad, I'd say Blanc, Desailly, Deschamps and Barthez were all better and more important than Zidane, and you could make a case for Djorkaeff and Petit too. You say you watched him in that tournament, I honestly recommend you go back and watch again, he wasn't great at all.

But you seem to deal in hyperbole with your "100 times better" quote, so maybe we'll just leave it at that.
Help is at hand. Zizou most definitely did not have a great tournie before the final. Here's a precise summary of his tournament:

https://footballwhispers.com/blog/world-cup-icons-zinedine-zidane-1998/

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
For longevity and consistency, Messi is way better than Maradona for sure. In terms of talent and football ability, leadership, and as a football player, I am not sure if Messi is better. Maradona played in the era the defense and tackles were completely different than today's standard.
Everything you've said here is correct IMO

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I struggle to imagine any talented football-mad kid growing up NOT dreaming of winning the World Cup.

I guess it may be different in England, as you may dream of winning stuff with your club too, probably the same if you are Spanish, but already doubt if you were German or Italian you'd put club over country.

The moment your country of origin means you would be playing for some big club in a foreign country, it's the World Cup and nothing else.
Aspirations of winning the World Cup are curtailed here by the likelihood of it ever happening, but any set of players that managed know they'd be anointed living gods, so if we're talking about the pursuit of absolute glory, there's no question whatsoever of players not knowing what it would mean for them and this country.

Is there a single player (not in the throes of separatism) that puts club football before country?

Fan-led notion, particular to this generation borne of Ronaldo and Messi's inability to win international trophies up until the very recent past.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
People give it far too much weight. There are people who genuinely believe Maradona was better than Messi! Almost entirely because of his world cup performances - a few games every four years.

We've got this idea into our heads that the great players are the ones who perform well in the World Cup and nobody else matters. In fact it's probably why Haaland won't be remembered as one of the all time greats.
everything you've said here is wrong. Like everything.

jm99

Aspirations of winning the World Cup are curtailed here by the likelihood of it ever happening, but any set of players that managed know they'd be anointed living gods, so if we're talking about the pursuit of absolute glory, there's no question whatsoever of players not knowing what it would mean for them and this country.

Is there a single player (not in the throes of separatism) that puts club football before country?

Fan-led notion, particular to this generation borne of Ronaldo and Messi's inability to win international trophies up until the very recent past.
How would you go about finding this out? Apart from Bale with his Wales.golf.madrid flag, do players ever talk about which is more important?

There's certainly suspicions that players fake knocks to miss international breaks (I believe giggs was fairly routinely accused of this), plenty of players retirr from international football to prolong their club career, varane has just done it for us, and yes he's won the world cup, but he's also won 4 champions leagues.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He was consistently the best scorer on his teams though. Not sure why Maradona should be used as an example of somebody who wasn't about goals...
Well he wasn't someone who was 'about goals' in the same way that Haaland is about goals, that's for sure

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
The World Cup is the pinnacle of football.

Removing it ruins the passion, as you only have players literally playing only for money in clubs.

Winning a trophy with your people will always be more satisfying, than winning something with some other foreigner players who are just there because they got paid shiton of money to be there.

The celebrations from WC winners are another level, true real happiness, you don't get that level of happiness from CL winners, except very few cases.

I don't think the WC shows the better football, but i respect what it means for people and players.
But that's not even the point. Maradona is not called the greatest solely because of the World cup.

KeanoMagicHat

How would you go about finding this out? Apart from Bale with his Wales.golf.madrid flag, do players ever talk about which is more important?

There's certainly suspicions that players fake knocks to miss international breaks (I believe giggs was fairly routinely accused of this), plenty of players retirr from international football to prolong their club career, varane has just done it for us, and yes he's won the world cup, but he's also won 4 champions leagues.
There's a difference between an international break and a major tournament. I bet Varane wouldn't give up the feeling of his World Cup win for the world. He played in two World Cup finals and a Euros final. That's a lot of emotional pressure.

He said of winning the World Cup "I still feel every emotion I felt that day, July 15, 2018. It was one of the most amazing and memorable moments of my life." Do you think he remembers the date of all his club trophies?

jm99

There's a difference between an international break and a major tournament. I bet Varane wouldn't give up the feeling of his World Cup win for the world. He played in two World Cup finals and a Euros final. That's a lot of emotional pressure.

He said of winning the World Cup "I still feel every emotion I felt that day, July 15, 2018. It was one of the most amazing and memorable moments of my life." Do you think he remembers the date of all his club trophies?
I mean probably his champions leagues, certainly his first one I'd be sure he will.

But what I'm saying is the other poster said how many players pick their club over their country, but how is that information going to come out, is any footballer apart from bale, going to say they care less about their club.

Their club pays their wages and for some footballers it's just a job, not loads but there's a definitely a number who don't care much for football bar the income it brings

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I mean probably his champions leagues, certainly his first one I'd be sure he will.

But what I'm saying is the other poster said how many players pick their club over their country, but how is that information going to come out, is any footballer apart from bale, going to say they care less about their club.

Their club pays their wages and for some footballers it's just a job, not loads but there's a definitely a number who don't care much for football bar the income it brings
It comes out by players talking about it and all the players I recall speaking about it said country was more important to them. Even being capped by your country is a huge honour to most.

jm99

It comes out by players talking about it and all the players I recall speaking about it said country was more important to them. Even being capped by your country is a huge honour to most.
And yet it's far more common for a player to retire from international football to prolong their club career than vice versa

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
And yet it's far more common for a player to retire from international football to prolong their club career than vice versa
What does that mean FFS? You can't retire from club football to prolong your international career! :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well he wasn't someone who was 'about goals' in the same way that Haaland is about goals, that's for sure
The first two things people think of when talking about Maradona are 2 goals