Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Taribo's Gap

No. Mourinho's 100 points season is

Pellegrini's was better than anything that had come before though
I meant at the time it happened. Mou's season came after Pellers.

That Pellegrini team was actually awesome, but were most RM fans calling it the best ever performance because it was, at the time it happened, the highest ever points/wins total?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

That Pellegrini team was actually awesome, but were most RM fans calling it the best ever performance because it was, at the time it happened, the highest ever points/wins total?
Don't remember how it was seen at the time other than a failure. In hindsight it absolutely was our best league performance at least since the Capello's title in '97, and I'd say it was indeed our best ever to that point. Though that doesn't mean it was our best team

Grande

Hehe, was waiting for the mention of “sports science”.
Everyone loves Sports Science:
Man United and a host of other teams prodding along with 69 injuries and players who can’t stay fit for half a season but the sports science is amazing ….
Your theory is that injuries are more prevalent because football has become more scientific? Sounds outright weird.

Increased number of games seems a more obvious explanation. And more onus from players to protect their own health and livelihood, you could see that play a part.

The idea that increased use of scientific methods in sports will reduce the level of the teams and lead to more, not less injuries, no I don’t buy that. I think that’s the laughable idea here.

Grande

Bit of a silly way of phrasing things. It’s quite obvious that most of the top teams across Europe now are significantly weaker than they were in the 90s/00s, in relation to the Premier League. It’s also quite obvious how much financial muscle the PL has in relation to the rest of Europe now.
Did I misunderstand the exchange you were in?

Someone claims Liverpool and City showed an impressive level by getting close to a hundred points from games vs the Englis PL.

Someone retorts it’s not so impressive because it could just mean that the other 18 English PL teams were worse than usual.

Someone points out that it doesn’t seem like that’s a good explanation, because City and Liverpool frequently were among the best two or four teams also in Europe.

Someone retorts that that doesn’t mean much either because all the European teams are gash, pointing to how much better the English PL teams are.

Either one of these two retorts are false, and Liverpool and City have been delivering some fantastic results in total, or it must be that the Brazilian and Saudi league is were all the quality is at these days.

One of these two

erikcred

Someone claims Liverpool and City showed an impressive level by getting close to a hundred points from games vs the Englis PL.

Someone retorts it’s not so impressive because it could just mean that the other 18 English PL teams were worse than usual.

Someone points out that it doesn’t seem like that’s a good explanation, because City and Liverpool frequently were among the best two or four teams also in Europe.

Someone retorts that that doesn’t mean much either because all the European teams are gash, pointing to how much better the English PL teams are.

Either one of these two retorts are false, and Liverpool and City have been delivering some fantastic results in total, or it must be that the Brazilian and Saudi league is were all the quality is at these days.

One of these two
Brilliant! :lol:

Ludens the Red

Your theory is that injuries are more prevalent because football has become more scientific? Sounds outright weird.

Increased number of games seems a more obvious explanation. And more onus from players to protect their own health and livelihood, you could see that play a part.

The idea that increased use of scientific methods in sports will reduce the level of the teams and lead to more, not less injuries, no I don’t buy that. I think that’s the laughable idea here.
Nah that isn’t my theory and I’m not suggesting anything either way. I just always find it funny when in these debates people start throwing around the “sports science” stuff like it’s something concrete. It’s a better idea than is reality and in terms of reducing actual injuries there is clearly no correlation.

I also don’t believe there’s a negligible increase in number of games now to that of late 90’s/00’s that has somehow caused for more injuries.

There used to be two Champions League groups. In England the Fa Cup had replays every round. There was also less subs and less ability to rotate then than there is now. The ball is also out of play a lot more now than it used to be. I’m sure if you took the most minutes played by our players in the 98-99 season you will see more minutes on the clock for that of city’s last season.

People need to start realising footballers are not fitter than they’ve ever been and are actually carrying more injuries than they ever have because all these ‘sports science and fitness programmes they are on are clearly causing issues. It’s the big elephant in the room but nobody seems to want to join the dots. The only significant improvement is that of recovery from injuries. Far less players careers are being affected by ligament tears etc. and that’s actually more down to the general improvement in health and surgery than “sports science”.
Also below 90 points won lots of titles in the earlier decade. What I meant with "aim for" was an amount that (almost) guarantees you to win the league in that decade.
Well yeah I guess but that’d be the case in every league throughout history really. 100 points will always win you the title because nobody ever gets it.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Pellegrini's side was an odd one though, the team was great against most league sides, but got pummeled by Barca, crashed out in CDR to some team i don't know, and got dunked on by Lyon in R16.

One of the few examples were having a high points tally doesn't equate to quality, the team was incredibly soft.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Well yeah I guess but that’d be the case in every league throughout history really. 100 points will always win you the title because nobody ever gets it.
But City got 100. That's my point, it moved from pure theory to reality. Which had never happened before.

Charlie Foley

People need to start realising footballers are not fitter than they’ve ever been and are actually carrying more injuries than they ever have because all these ‘sports science and fitness programmes they are on are clearly causing issues. It’s the big elephant in the room but nobody seems to want to join the dots. The only significant improvement is that of recovery from injuries. Far less players careers are being affected by ligament tears etc. and that’s actually more down to the general improvement in health and surgery than “sports science”.
Do you have any literature/evidence of this? Would be quite interested if so. I would also be interested in the physical expectations of players now vs previous eras, especially with the focus on systems and positioning: whether players fitness is indeed improving but not at the same rate as the demands/expectations

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

One of these two
The rest of English league not being that great compared to it's past levels and still being better the league still being better than the other European leagues is actually a valid possibility, they're not mutually exclusive.

Ludens the Red

Do you have any literature/evidence of this? Would be quite interested if so. I would also be interested in the physical expectations of players now vs previous eras, especially with the focus on systems and positioning: whether players fitness is indeed improving but not at the same rate as the demands/expectations
No I don’t but I’m sure someone someday will produce the numbers. There’s articles about this seasons injury numbers but that’s about it.
But I don’t think it takes a study to be able to see players are getting injured at an alarming rate at the minute. Especially muscular injuries.
The argument about more minutes doesn’t wash when the players we’re talking about spend about half their time on the treatment table and not actually playing any games (take Mount and Martinez for example) and also there isn’t actually that many more games and when you factor in larger squads and 5 substitutes, players should be getting in lesser minutes. To me from a speculative viewpoint I would be looking at what players are doing in training and outside of match day. On the pitch football hasn’t actually changed that much. The most changes are off the pitch, on the training ground, in the gym, dietary etc.

Korwas

Pl stats only. With Haaland:
43-11-7 149-56 65,1% possession
Without Haaland
8-1-1 25-9 69,8% possession

Games he has missed:
1-0 win vs Leicster
4-1 win vs Liverpool
0-1 loss vs Brentford
2-1 win vs Luton
2-2 draw vs Crystal Palace
3-1 win vs Everton
2-0 win vs Sheffield UTD
3-2 win vs Newcastle
4-1 win vs Aston Villa
4-0 win vs Brighton

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The rest of English league not being that great compared to it's past levels and still being better the league still being better than the other European leagues is actually a valid possibility, they're not mutually exclusive.
Unless you either believe the overall talent level has significantly dropped compared to the past, or you believe the saudi and brazilian leagues are indeed were most of the talent is, then; No. They are in fact mutually exclusive

sebsheep

Unless you either believe the overall talent level has significantly dropped compared to the past, or you believe the saudi and brazilian leagues are indeed were most of the talent is, then; No. They are in fact mutually exclusive
Firstly, if you start with an 'unless' you're kinda agreeing with the point.
Secondly, they are not the only reasons, for instance a concentration of the better players at fewer clubs provides an explanation as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Firstly, if you start with an 'unless' you're kinda agreeing with the point.
Secondly, they are not the only reasons, for instance a concentration of the better players at fewer clubs provides an explanation as well.
I wasn't refuting so much as contextualizing what you were saying

Bolded still implies the best teams are better now than ever

sebsheep

I wasn't refuting so much as contextualizing what you were saying

Bolded still implies the best teams are better now than ever
It only requires the gap between the best and the rest to be bigger than previously, you don't really need a significant drop off in quality to achieve that, or a drop off at all in some positions.

Zen86

One of these two
I said most of Europe is gash now, and it is.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It only requires the gap between the best and the rest to be bigger than previously, you don't really need a significant drop off in quality to achieve that, or a drop off at all in some positions.
It still implies either the best got better or the rest got worse.

No. Either global talent pool overall has gotten worse, or a significant % of it isn't playing in Europe. If neither of those is true, than the PL can't both be weaker than previous eras but better than other leagues relative to previous eras

sebsheep

It still implies either the best got better or the rest got worse.

No. Either global talent pool overall has gotten worse, or a significant % of it isn't playing in Europe. If neither of those is true, than the PL can't both be weaker than previous eras but better than other leagues relative to previous eras
Which is fine for this discussion.

Why are you changing from significantly worse to worse by the way?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Which is fine for this discussion.

Why are you changing from significantly worse to worse by the way?
Because i don't feel like typing all that all the time. That the difference is significant is implied, it's the basis for the argument

If the rest got worse, then either someone else got better, or there is less talent to go around

Lay

Pl stats only. With Haaland:
43-11-7 149-56 65,1% possession
Without Haaland
8-1-1 25-9 69,8% possession

Games he has missed:
1-0 win vs Leicster
4-1 win vs Liverpool
0-1 loss vs Brentford
2-1 win vs Luton
2-2 draw vs Crystal Palace
3-1 win vs Everton
2-0 win vs Sheffield UTD
3-2 win vs Newcastle
4-1 win vs Aston Villa
4-0 win vs Brighton
City don't miss a beat whenever one of their players are injured. Our centre back gets injured and the team falls apart defensively, in midfield and attack.

sebsheep

Because i don't feel like typing all that all the time. That the difference is significant is implied, it's the basis for the argument

If the rest got worse, then either someone else got better, or there is less talent to go around
Not really, the original argument was something different.

2nd part is fine. You don't need a significant drop off for that.

Grande

Nah that isn’t my theory and I’m not suggesting anything either way. I just always find it funny when in these debates people start throwing around the “sports science” stuff like it’s something concrete. It’s a better idea than is reality and in terms of reducing actual injuries there is clearly no correlation.

I also don’t believe there’s a negligible increase in number of games now to that of late 90’s/00’s that has somehow caused for more injuries.

There used to be two Champions League groups. In England the Fa Cup had replays every round. There was also less subs and less ability to rotate then than there is now. The ball is also out of play a lot more now than it used to be. I’m sure if you took the most minutes played by our players in the 98-99 season you will see more minutes on the clock for that of city’s last season.

Sorry if I seem crass, but when answer a post that actually is about something else, where ‘science’ is one of many things mentioned as things that have gone into improving the level of football, it comes across to me as unnecessary arrogant, uninterested and derisive to answer with ‘Hehe, I was waiting for someone to through about the word ‘sports science’. And then go on a general rant about how stupid ‘everybody’ are. If you are tired of people who are too easily swayed by impressive surfaces, fine, but you don’t need to paint me in that picture to have an excuse to laugh at people. That’s how it comes across to me.

My post was about reasons to think that the level of the best teams in football now are better than they were in the 90’s, not worse (as someone implied). If you find that laughable too, fine, but maybe you could give arguments to why not. I don’t think mine is a ridiculous position, nor that it in itself is evidence that I am necessarily a gullible fool falling for any catch phrase that trends. Neither is the idea that science (or ‘sports science’ if that is a term you prefer) has contributed to higher levels of football, wether in game analysis, optimizing anaerobe or aerobe capacities, patterns of play, nourishment, restitution, effects of alcohol or nikotine or PEDs, I don’t think the idea is ridiculous. Maybe PED’s where more broadly and effectively used in football in the 80’s and 90’s, like in sprint and cycling, but I’m not so sure that goes for football. I think you’d need a lot of evidence to say that either position is laughable just on that aspect alone.

Your point about minutes played is an interesting and good one.I checked a few players just for fun, and found that Denis Irwin played about the same amount of matches from 90-95 as Marcus Rashford did the years Solskjær and others were accused of running him into the ground. Maybe he played more minutes then, probably. I think there are also stats showing that there are more intensive runs per player per game now than back then (can’t dig it up) so maybe there is also a question wether still those minutes might be more taxing now. It’s a fair discussion to have at least, even if it wasn’t the point I was making in the post you answered.

Grande

I said most of Europe is gash now, and it is.
My mistake, I thought you were relating to the post you were answering, and the context it was made in.
Only if the context was based on the premise A) Liverpool and City’s point records seasons were worse than the winning seasons of Liverpool in the 80’s or United in the 90’s and B) football in general have evolved since the 80’s and 90’s.

Then they are mutually exclusive. If you disagree with the premises of the discussion the post was an answer to, they are not.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not really, the original argument was something different.
I wasn't replying to the original argument, I was replying to your assertion that the PL can both be weaker than it was in the past, and stronger relative to other leagues.

2nd part is fine. You don't need a significant drop off for that.
So how did they drop off? What happened to that "lost" talent?

Saffron

City don't miss a beat whenever one of their players are injured.

This is just the latest false narrative to try and deflect any criticism away from Haaland.

If you look at Rodri, every single league game he has missed this season except Luton, City lost.

Every single game he has played in all competitions this season, City won or drew. Not counting penalties.