Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

ForeverRed1

He has incredible personal stats yet despite that Dortmund got no closer to toppling Bayern and even finished below Leipzig in his first full season aswell as a weak for their standards 75 goal team tally (they usually hit numbers in the 80's).

He will score goals and be far from a flop but i don't think he's going to fit into the dynamics as neatly as people think.
Look at the quality he has around him at city in comparison to Dortmund and Leipzig. City will set him up with so many goals it’s going to be ridiculous. This guy is the real deal, insanely good and still so young, he will improve a lot.

He will walk the ball into the net over and over next season.

Crashoutcassius

Literally any player will score a ton of tap ins at city. I'm not sure he makes them better, maybe only when they need a plan b, because he won't be getting slipped through on goal over and over like at Dortmund. His contribution to the team will be the same as other city strikers, build up, pressing, taps in. Is he so much better at the tap ins to justify the drop off on build up play. The more they have the roadshow the more it makes me think city wanted to sign him to be a poster boy more than pep said that he perfectly suits the system. City are living on middle Eastern sponsor subsidy and need to become and actual big club if they are to be sustainable if the tap ever turns off.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Literally any player will score a ton of tap ins at city. I'm not sure he makes them better, maybe only when they need a plan b, because he won't be getting slipped through on goal over and over like at Dortmund. His contribution to the team will be the same as other city strikers, build up, pressing, taps in. Is he so much better at the tap ins to justify the drop off on build up play. The more they have the roadshow the more it makes me think city wanted to sign him to be a poster boy more than pep said that he perfectly suits the system. City are living on middle Eastern sponsor subsidy and need to become and actual big club if they are to be sustainable if the tap ever turns off.
If you watch City regularly you’ll have noticed that even with our existing style, since Aguero left we don’t have anybody with the movement and composure to regularly finish the volume of chances we create in and around the box. We put the ball in the box into dangerous areas countless times each game and Jesus has managed just 17 goals in 57 PL appearances in the last 2 season playing pretty much solely as the front man.

I think you’re right that we’ll see Haaland score slightly different goals at City than Dortmund (more around the box and less on the break), but I also think his movement and finishing around the box is infinity more potent than what we’ve had over the last couple of years and that will make us much more dangerous. We’ve not bought him to have a better Plan B. He improves our Plan A.

That’s what I am looking forwards to at least.

Crashoutcassius

If you watch City regularly you’ll have noticed that even with our existing style, since Aguero left we don’t have anybody with the movement and composure to regularly finish the volume of chances we create in and around the box. We put the ball in the box into dangerous areas countless times each game and Jesus has managed just 17 goals in 57 PL appearances in the last 2 season playing pretty much solely as the front man.

I think you’re right that we’ll see Haaland score slightly different goals at City than Dortmund (more around the box and less on the break), but I also think his movement and finishing around the box is infinity more potent than what we’ve had over the last couple of years and that will make us much more dangerous. We’ve not bought him to have a better Plan B. He improves our Plan A.

That’s what I am looking forwards to at least.
I hear you. I think he will score more goals than whoever you have had, I agree. Just not sure that improves the team. He will score plenty of 5th goals when you might have scored 3. But when the going is tough he might add value and be the difference in those games because you can go direct or get balls into the box. But maybe he will make a difference in those games in a plan A way as well.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Look at the quality he has around him at city in comparison to Dortmund and Leipzig. City will set him up with so many goals it’s going to be ridiculous. This guy is the real deal, insanely good and still so young, he will improve a lot.

He will walk the ball into the net over and over next season.
If he's THAT insanely good then isn't it fair game to expect him to win it (or at the very least challenge) even with an unfavoured but hardly untalented side? Mbappe, Courtois and Hazard at a similar age all dragged much more unfancied sides/clubs to titles, to some extent CR7 with you guys in 2007 could be added to that (no one gave you a prayer of toppling Jose's Chelsea at the time).

Maybe I'm wrong and he will have City permanently at the 100 plus point barrier and close the league to every one else, but I don't think it's going to be the case (although I do think they'll win it again next time round).

Chief123

City continue with their unusual ‘unveiling’ style… Grealish, Aguerro statue, Haaland road show.

This tweet reply did make me smile though (have to open photo/vid to see the person in question)

They have to do roadshow unveiling to make it seem “packed” in a narrow road as it would be a bit embarassing if they did it in a stadium.

Chief123

If he's THAT insanely good then isn't it fair game to expect him to win it (or at the very least challenge) even with an unfavoured but hardly untalented side? Mbappe, Courtois and Hazard at a similar age all dragged much more unfancied sides/clubs to titles, to some extent CR7 with you guys in 2007 could be added to that (no one gave you a prayer of toppling Jose's Chelsea at the time).

Maybe I'm wrong and he will have City permanently at the 100 plus point barrier and close the league to every one else, but I don't think it's going to be the case (although I do think they'll win it again next time round).
Even though I think Haaland will score plenty and City will win the league again, I’m actually not sure they’ll beat their recent points/goals in a season over last few years.

I think it’ll be a similar case to how Ronaldo scored plenty for us but at the same time the rest scored a lot less than they did previously.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Even though I think Haaland will score plenty and City will win the league again, I’m actually not sure they’ll beat their recent points/goals in a season over last few years.

I think it’ll be a similar case to how Ronaldo scored plenty for us but at the same time the rest scored a lot less than they did previously.
The question is, can he make the difference in games where they need a goal. Not the ones where they are winning 3 nil already and he bags a hat-trick

Chief123

The question is, can he make the difference in games where they need a goal. Not the ones where they are winning 3 nil already and he bags a hat-trick
It’s going to be interesting to see. City are effectively going to have to make a major change to how they attack compared to what they’ve done last 2 seasons. Playing a system with a false nine who is constantly involved in build up to then change to an out n out striker who will barely get involved in build up is quite a drastic change. I’m sure Pep will come up with something but it’s not a certainty they will start off flying.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Was more alluding to the fact that he has a release clause for 2024-2025.
Which is fair enough. He wanted the proper development and not going for big money too early. BVB gave him the time he needs to flourish and got a nice sum on top of a great striker for 3 season.

Win win.

He could have signed a 2 years contract with Dortmund and get off on a free and goes to the highest bidder. But he pursue chances for trophy under a great manager and a functioning team. The big wages that comes along is a given wherever he goes city or united.

Crimson King

Unless he lets his contract run down and joins United for free at some point in the future, I couldn't care less what this guy ever achieves in his career.

I felt the same when Neymar went to PSG, and I'll feel same about any other high profile player that joins either of them, or whatever Newcastle go on the achieve.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting older and can't be invested in football as much these days, but I just cannot bring myself to care about anything the oil state clubs do. In fact, if it can't be United then I'd choose City to win the league every year ahead of Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, and probably even Spurs!

It just would not register in my life at all. Although not living in Manchester probably helps, mind. I feel for the Reds on here who have to suffer through that.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

When did these happen? For Mbappé at Monaco, he wasn't their best or main player that season, Falcao was. And B. Silva, Lemar and Fabinho were all atleast as valuable as Mbappé to the team that season.

I can't think of any side that Courtois or Hazard dragged to the title that was much more unfacied or less superior to the Dortmund team in which Haaland was.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
He'll be gone in a few years to spain.
Reportedly there is a £150 million release clause but for only clubs in Spain that activates at the beginning of the 2025/26 season.

SoCross

It’s going to be interesting to see. City are effectively going to have to make a major change to how they attack compared to what they’ve done last 2 seasons. Playing a system with a false nine who is constantly involved in build up to then change to an out n out striker who will barely get involved in build up is quite a drastic change. I’m sure Pep will come up with something but it’s not a certainty they will start off flying.
I think Pep has concluded that he needs a system change to win old big ears. Wouldn’t put it past him to bench Haaland though and keep him as a plan B in the big league games!

Anderson_7_

According to the experts on here, Nunez is technically poor and guaranteed to flop hard, but Haaland is predicted to be a huge success and score 40 goals. Never mind the fact they're similar players who share the same strengths and weaknesses.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Never mind the fact they're similar players who share the same strengths and weaknesses.
You're stretching the meaning of the word similar a bit here. Haaland has averaged a goal a game for club and country for three years.

Anderson_7_

Sam Lee basically confirmed he's Injured already (go check his replies on twitter). He was absent from all training pics and vids.

And people in this thread were laughing when I said he would struggle to score 10 league goals.

He could be City's Hazard.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Injured again? Is it always the same type of injury he keeps picking up?

I’m sure Pep will sort him out with some alien placenta or something.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
Injured again? Is it always the same type of injury he keeps picking up?

I’m sure Pep will sort him out with some alien placenta or something.
Not an actual injury. It's preventive, as he has only a couple trainings yet.

GMoore23

Sam Lee basically confirmed he's Injured already (go check his replies on twitter). He was absent from all training pics and vids.

And people in this thread were laughing when I said he would struggle to score 10 league goals.

He could be City's Hazard.
Hazard was an unbelievable player and once carried Chelsea to a league title.

I really hope he's not their Hazard.

Eriku

Haaland getting his debut in 30 mins vs. Bayern.
Was always going to happen, barring major injury. To quote Guardiola:

"If this afternoon [Friday] there is nothing wrong in the training session, or tonight he [doesn't] feel bad and falls out of bed and breaks his ankle, then he will play."

Pep clearly doesn’t believe in jinxing :lol:

Trequarista10

Is it fanciful to hope Pep overthinks is and plays him as a false 9 or left wing and it turns into a disaster?

Probably, but I can hope right?

Hoof the ball

Was always going to happen, barring major injury. To quote Guardiola:

"If this afternoon [Friday] there is nothing wrong in the training session, or tonight he [doesn't] feel bad and falls out of bed and breaks his ankle, then he will play."

Pep clearly doesn’t believe in jinxing :lol:
:lol:

This could be terrifying, even in a friendly, watching De Bruyne popping balls through to Haaland.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Haaland getting his debut in 30 mins vs. Bayern.
Sad thing is, I was talking to this 25 year old the other day, that said he always liked City because he grew up watching them play great football... So there is a new generation of football fans that grew up with this version of City, unfortunately.