North-South (London) Divide Evident in the Window?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
With the exception of Newcastle, it is telling the difference in approach from the London PL clubs to those up north.

Don't underestimate the impact that rising cases/extended lockdowns have had/are having/will continue to have.

Under this government, I can't see them shutting down the capital again. That's an economic hit too far in the lead up to Brexit. Big clubs in London are clearly feeling more optimistic about the forecast than those elsewhere, or are at least currently operating with more certainty and clarity.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are all having the sort of windows we'd hoped for. In contrast to City and Liverpool, our window isn't totally dissimilar.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
With the exception of Newcastle, it is telling the difference in approach from the London PL clubs to those up north.

Don't underestimate the impact that rising cases/extended lockdowns have had/are having/will continue to have.

Under this government, I can't see them shutting down the capital again. That's an economic hit too far in the lead up to Brexit. Big clubs in London are clearly feeling more optimistic about the forecast than those elsewhere, or are at least currently operating with more certainty and clarity.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are all having the sort of windows we'd hoped for. In contrast to City and Liverpool, our window isn't totally dissimilar.
You can take Chelsea out of your theory because they had a war chest after the transfer ban.. City have spent £70m so far which is more than Arsenal who have spent £31m.

In fact I'm not researching this anymore because it seems the effect of covid and the London centric dynamic you are trying to spin just doesn't exist. Apart from Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd who have spent the same as Arsenal, your theory holds up. Oh yeah, City have spent more than Spurs as well.

The centre of London is still very quite. The theatres are closed. Anything to do with tourism is just about to collapse if it hasn't already. The streets of central London are still eerily quite and the cab drivers are suffering. The capital is just about closed. Football stadiums are closed all over the country.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
We’ve still gone about our business. Even with a £20m loss, we’ve managed to get deals done.

RashyForPM

City? I’m sure Mansour’s pocket hasn’t been hit too hard during this covid period. In fact, I’m sure it hasn’t been hit at all.

KeanoMagicHat

I'm very thankful for football as a distraction through this second coming of the virus but the schedules that are planned without any disruption and some of the transfer fees touted come across as delusional and like football is in a total bubble from the real world. Chelsea are the outlier with their transfer fees but they have an oligarch owner, big transfer sales and a year transfer ban to catch up from. Look around Europe and you're not seeing Real Madrid or Barcelona throw 100m at players.

The money quoted for Sancho is too much in this economic climate, as unpopular as it sounds. Doesn't mean United can't do smart business elsewhere but some of the transfer talk is somewhat unrealistic.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Spending so far (all figures from Transfermarkt for consistency)....

Man City - £70 million (Ake + Torres)
Spurs - - £58 million (Le Celso, Docherty and Hedgehog or whatever the feck his name is).
Liverpool - £40 million (Tsimikas and Thiago
Everton - £40 million (Allan and Doucoure)
Man United - £35 million (DVDB)
Newcastle £35 million (Wilson and Lewis)
Arsenal - £30 million (Gabriel and Mari)

Seems like there's not really a north-south divide. Chelsea are a massive outlier of course and skew it massively but that's not really a "south" thing.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Spending so far (all figures from Transfermarkt for consistency)....

Man City - £70 million (Ake + Torres)
Spurs - - £58 million (Le Celso, Docherty and Hedgehog or whatever the feck his name is).
Liverpool - £40 million (Tsimikas and Thiago
Everton - £40 million (Allan and Doucoure)
Man United - £35 million (DVDB)
Newcastle £35 million (Wilson and Lewis)
Arsenal - £30 million (Gabriel and Mari)

Seems like there's not really a north-south divide. Chelsea are a massive outlier of course and skew it massively but that's not really a "south" thing.
Leeds have spent £61m.

It could be argued that confidence is higher in the North because London is seriously fecked with no sign of a lot of business coming back. Aside from the stadiums being closed, which is happening everywhere, the offices in central London are at least half empty. People are working from home and a lot of companies have decided to downsize their head offices. Tourism, a large part of Londons economy, is almost nothing and The West end is also closed. I work in construction and number of jobs we have tendered in central London have been put on hold. I see the highest yields on rental properties are in Liverpool and Manchester with Middlesborough close behind.

Josep Dowling

Newcastle have done very well with transfers this season. This divide has absolutely nothing to do with COVID cases in the North. More like the team that’s have invested in the South are behind he rest in the league, hence investing more.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

I blame Brexit, Boris and the tories.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Aston Villa have also spent quite a bit, and I don't think Birmingham is doing all that great at controlling the virus either.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Leeds have spent £61m.

It could be argued that confidence is higher in the North because London is seriously fecked with no sign of a lot of business coming back. Aside from the stadiums being closed, which is happening everywhere, the offices in central London are at least half empty. People are working from home and a lot of companies have decided to downsize their head offices. Tourism, a large part of Londons economy, is almost nothing and The West end is also closed. I work in construction and number of jobs we have tendered in central London have been put on hold. I see the highest yields on rental properties are in Liverpool and Manchester with Middlesborough close behind.
I live in Yorkshire, and this could just as easily be said about Sheffield, Leeds and every other city in this region.