Northern Ireland Milk Cup 2009

PS18

Bit early as we're still just under two months away from the start of the tournament, but the draw's been made today and our first two opponents are known:

Monday, 27 July – Shamrock Rovers v Otago; Cruz Azul v Desportivo Brasil; Cherry Orchard v FC Porto; South Coast Bayern v Galatasaray; Co. Down v Trudovye Rezervy; Co. Armagh v Cantolao; Co. Fermanagh v Aspire; Sheffield Utd v Co. Tyrone; Manchester Utd v Co. Antrim; Burnley v Co. Londonderry.

Tuesday, 28 July – Otago v FC Porto; Burnley v Trudovye Reservy; Sheffield Utd v Aspire; Manchester Utd v Cantolao; Co Down v Galatasaray; Co. Antrim v Cherry Orchard; Co. Tyrone v South Coast Bayern; Co. Armagh v Shamrock Rovers; Co. Londonderry v Desportivo Brasil; Co. Fermanagh v Cruz Azul.
Should be interesting this year as we defend the trophy. We had the benefit of having several of the second year being eligible for the tournament last season, whereas only Josh King and Robbie Brady will be eligible this time around, so the make-up of the squad will be very interesting.

PS18

Just looking into who the hell Cantalao are, they appear to be either an academy from Columbus, Ohio, or an academy from Peru. Not really sure which.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Bit early as we're still just under two months away from the start of the tournament, but the draw's been made today and our first two opponents are known:

Should be interesting this year as we defend the trophy. We had the benefit of having several of the second year being eligible for the tournament last season, whereas only Josh King and Robbie Brady will be eligible this time around, so the make-up of the squad will be very interesting.
Johnstone, Fryers, Hussain, Morrison, Thorpe, Keane, Brady, King, Cofie, Giverin, Gorman, Dean, Blackett, Lingard, Cole

I expect one or two of the above to be unavailable for whatever reason so another 5/6 names from the juniors or new players.....a couple of Northern Irish boys usually come in each year.

Also, a couple of years ago we took a few triallists from Crystal Palace and Walsall.

As you say...interesting!

oskarutd

Johnstone, Fryers, Hussain, Morrison, Thorpe, Keane, Brady, King, Cofie, Giverin, Gorman, Dean, Blackett, Lingard, Cole

I expect one or two of the above to be unavailable for whatever reason so another 5/6 names from the juniors or new players.....a couple of Northern Irish boys usually come in each year.

Also, a couple of years ago we took a few triallists from Crystal Palace and Walsall.

Is Jack Dean still with us? I thought he had left. You might multiply Keane with two. Is Blackett 17 next april?

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things

Is it fair to say that Morrison, Thorpe, Brady and King (and possibly Lingard) are the names to look out for especially?

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Is it fair to say that Morrison, Thorpe, Brady and King (and possibly Lingard) are the names to look out for especially?

Yes, but you can add Fryers, Cofie, and Cole to that list, and possibly others, depending on who is in the squad. Cole was the really small player who started in the final U18's fixture against Blackburn.

All in all, we have as many promising young players of a similar age as I can remember. Of course, it's likely that some will excel, while others fail to live up to expectation, but I can't remember an age group for a number of years with so many highly rated players.

Decotron

Do you know anything on that lad from Leeds, I believe he played for us in that other youth tournament recently???

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
This article is from late May, before he played for us in Holland:

Agent brought in to handle rising star

THE mother of Hipperholme Grammar School athlete and footballer Elliot Kebbie has brought in top soccer agent Kevin Moran of Pro-Active to handle her 14-year-old son's next moves.

Maggie Goodyear told Echo Sport that it was a far too complex situation that Elliot and herself find themselves in to try and handle it on their own.

This comes on the back of the Sun newspaper coming up with a sports news story last week that her son was all set for a £1 million pound move from Leeds United to Manchester United.

"We have no idea who gave them that story and also his age of 16 but it was inaccurate in every way although he had been invited to have a trial at Man Utd," she said.

"While there is a possibility in the future he could secure a good contract and the figure mentioned would be nice, we are way off sorting anything like that out at present."

Last Thursday Elliot went to the Carrington training headquarters of the newly crowned 2008-09 Premier League champions but both he and his mother were left disappointed.

"It was a mass trial when he only thought two or three boys would be there and when it came round to a game Elliot was struggling to get on the end of the ball to show what he could do. At the end we were invited back on the Saturday and were in two minds what to do.

"Mr Moran and his assistant came along with us and it was different altogether and he even played with the Manchester United squad in that age group in a competition that I know involved Leicester City and Bradford City, which was nice for him.

"I know he is my son but he was clearly head and shoulders above the players alongside him when playing in better company and at the end of it all we have now been invited back for talks and some more action on May 30.

"He is near burn-out now with the amount of football and training he has been doing and they emphasised how they want him to take it easy before they see him again.

"Should we hear they do want him then it will get interesting with the compensation severance to sort from Leeds United.

"All a fourteen-year-old boy wants to do is play football and it will be up to Mr Moran and I to ensure we get the best for him.

Following the Spring Bank Holiday from school the athletic season also warms up for Elliot in June and it is when the county and national team selectors will be monitoring his progress.

http://www.brighouseecho.co.uk/sport/Agent-brought-in-to-handle.5296186.jp

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I am guessing we intervened and convinced his Mum to let us take him to Holland..

datura

Evans aims to be with the Elite in Milk Cup

Thursday, 23 July 2009

Manchester United’s rising star Corry Evans is hoping to help the Northern Ireland Elite team retain their Milk Cup prize.

While Jonny Evans continues to win admirers at Old Trafford, his younger brother is also making excellent progress.

Steve Beaglehole’s young stars will kick-off their title defence on Monday with a tough opener against Germany in Ballymoney (7pm). He will be hoping for a positive result to keep spirits high ahead of the clash against Bulgaria at the Coleraine Showgrounds on Wednesday (8pm).

Their final match will be on Friday, with the opposition, venue and kick-off time to be confirmed.

“I want to retain the Milk Cup this summer,” said Beaglehole. “I am a winner and I love my teams to win games no matter whether it is a friendly or a competitive match. I had a recent get-together with the players at Lilleshall which proved to be a very useful exercise.”

Beaglehole has named an 18-man squad for the tournament.

Port Vale striker James Lawrie, who also made his full international debut in the 3-0 defeat in Pisa, is also named in the panel.

Northern Ireland Elite Milk Cup squad: Goalkeepers: Conor Devlin (Manchester Utd), Wayne Drummond (Millwall); Defenders: Sean McCashin (Nottingham Forest), Nathan Hanley (Hull City), Conor McLaughlin (Preston North End), Chris Ramsey (unattached), Dean Jarvis (Aberdeen), Howard Beverland (Coleraine), Craig Hill (Ballinamallard); Midfielders: Corry Evans (Manchester Utd), Oliver Norwood (Manchester Utd), Eunan O'Kane (Everton), Stephen Dooley (Coleraine), Patrick McLaughlin (Newcastle); Forwards: Billy Kee (Leicester City), James Lawrie (Port Vale), William Gregg (Walsall), Josh Magennis (Cardiff City).

Elite Section fixtures: Monday: Northern Ireland v Germany (Riada Stadium, Ballymoney) 7pm; Israel v Bulgaria (Ballymena Showgrounds) 8pm; USA v Denmark (8pm); Wednesday: Bulgaria v Northern Ireland (Coleraine Showgrounds) 8pm; Denmark v Israel (Riada Stadium, Ballymoney) 8pm; Germany v USA (Ballymena Showgrounds) 8pm.

Mr. MUJAC

Here is the Squad that has been posted in Ireland.

1. Sam Johnstone
2. Michael Keane
3. Zeki Fryers
4. Sean McGinty
5. Tom Thorpe
6. Ryan Tunnicliffe
7. Rav'el Morrison
8. Etzaz Hussain
9. Josh King
10. Will Keane
11. Robbie Brady
12. John Cofie
13. James Wren
14. Larnell Cole
15. Jesse Lingard
16. Luke Giverin
17. Rico Gomes
18. Michael Ngoo

James Wren is a triallist/guest from Walsall and is the reserve keeper.

Michael Ngoo is a 6ft 4in forward from Southend United. There is lots of information on the internet about him, he played for Southend's U-16's last season and was drafted into the 18's for the last few matches. I think he has also turned out for their reserves.

Crerand Legend

Going to watch match tomorrow,Ballymena is only 15 minutes from me.Hard to believe it is only a year since we were watching Machieda play over here in the Milk Cup

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Is Petrucci too old for this, or is he still suffering from the mystery injury that took him out in February? Really worried about that guy to be honest.

Mr. MUJAC

Is Petrucci too old for this, or is he still suffering from the mystery injury that took him out in February? Really worried about that guy to be honest.
My understanding is that Davide had a groin problem that kept him sidelined for the last few months of last season. At the moment he has an injured hip as a consequence of growth spurts. This is normal for lads his age to grow rapidly and lot's of other players have had similar problems notably Luke Steele, Phil Bardsley.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Here is the Squad that has been posted in Ireland.

1. Sam Johnstone
2. Michael Keane
3. Zeki Fryers
4. Sean McGinty
5. Tom Thorpe
6. Ryan Tunnicliffe
7. Rav'el Morrison
8. Etzaz Hussain
9. Josh King
10. Will Keane
11. Robbie Brady
12. John Cofie
13. James Wren
14. Larnell Cole
15. Jesse Lingard
16. Luke Giverin
17. Rico Gomes
18. Michael Ngoo

James Wren is a triallist/guest from Walsall and is the reserve keeper.

Michael Ngoo is a 6ft 4in forward from Southend United. There is lots of information on the internet about him, he played for Southend's U-16's last season and was drafted into the 18's for the last few matches. I think he has also turned out for their reserves.
That looks like a pretty strong squad to me. It will be interesting to see how they get on.

Mr. MUJAC

cj_sparky

Also if you go to 973 on Sky it is BBC N Ireland and it is live on the red button.

PS18

No Massacci on the BBC's teamsheet, maybe just there for the experience/bonding?