Norwegian Football Thread

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Glimt are going to win it again aren't they?

Kjetil Knutsen is insane. Loses 3-4 key players every year and he somehow manages to replace them effortlessly. Last year he signed a striker who hadn't scored for 2 years, got him scoring 22 goals and sold him to one of the top teams in Russia. This year again, new striker hasn't scored a top flight goal for 3 years (!) but on his debut away to high flying Celtic he scores within the opening minutes. Everything Knutsen touches turns to gold. I'd be shocked if he isn't at a big foreign club within the next year or two.

Pintu

And I thought this was a tough draw.

Really impressive work by Knutsen. Somehow reminiscent of Potter's exploits with Östersund a few years back. I hope he will find his way to the top leagues soon.

Skåre Willoch

Awesome! It would be awesome if they could repeat the 6-1 from the group stage! :wenger:
I actually think Roma is a decent draw for them. All the dutch sides have regular experience on artificial turf, no?

BarstoolProphet

Only four players in the starting lineup that also started the 6-1 match for B/G. While Roma started pretty much full-strength. Very impressive even if the artificial turf gives them an edge. 6-1 again if Solbakken had been fit?

lysglimt

Scout
This is the impressive part:

Marius Lode -Schalke 04
Fredrik Bjørkan - Hertha Berlin
Patrick Berg - Lens
Philip Zinckernagel - Nottingham
Kasper Junker - Urawa Red Diamonds
Jens Petter Hauge - Eintracht Frankfurt
Håkon Evjen - Az Alkmaar
Erik Botheim - Krasnodar

Players sold in 2.5 years...

5 of them are Norwegian internationals - one plays for Norway U21

Samid

Only four players in the starting lineup that also started the 6-1 match for B/G. While Roma started pretty much full-strength. Very impressive even if the artificial turf gives them an edge. 6-1 again if Solbakken had been fit?
Yeah Solbakken has probably been the best player in the competition. Big miss tonight and with him they would've surely had a bigger lead. At least he'll be back for the return leg.

Roma still favourites to go through imo.

Samid

What a team, hats off. When was the last time a Norwegian team beat a top 5 league team in a European match that counted?
Glimt back in October. Before that was probably Ole's Molde beating eventual winners Sevilla 6 years ago.

Before that was a year ago when Molde beat Hoffenheim!

Scratch that one too. They actually beat Granada in the following round.

Pintu

What a team, hats off. When was the last time a Norwegian team beat a top 5 league team in a European match that counted?
They also knocked out Celtic, the likely Scottish champions. Not the same as Roma, but it is also really impressive.

Fingers crossed for a good defensive display in the second leg... And why not a semifinal vs PSV or Leicester.

Bastionen

Supports
Lyn
What’s the origin behind the team name? Reminds me of Alan Johnson’s Consultio/Consultius agency from Peep Show.
They were founded in 1916, and originally they were just named "Glimt". In 1936 they changed name to what translates to "The Cross-Country Skiing and Football Club Glimt". However, in 1948 they discovered that there was already another club named Glimt in Norway, and they changed their name to "The Cross-Country Skiing and Football Club Bodø-Glimt", adding the city Bodø to the name. At the end of the 1960s, the Cross-country skiing section of the club was no more, and they changed their name to "The Football club Bodø-Glimt". The latest change happened in 1988 when the hyphen was replaced with the slash. This change was made to avoid confusion on betting coupons in Norway, where the hyphen normally was used to separate the teams.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Irrational.

They were founded in 1916, and originally they were just named "Glimt". In 1936 they changed name to what translates to "The Cross-Country Skiing and Football Club Glimt". However, in 1948 they discovered that there was already another club named Glimt in Norway, and they changed their name to "The Cross-Country Skiing and Football Club Bodø-Glimt", adding the city Bodø to the name. At the end of the 1960s, the Cross-country skiing section of the club was no more, and they changed their name to "The Football club Bodø-Glimt". The latest change happened in 1988 when the hyphen was replaced with the slash. This change was made to avoid confusion on betting coupons in Norway, where the hyphen normally was used to separate the teams.
Interesting, thank you :)

lysglimt

Scout
Was a huge fight in the tunnel after the Roma - Bodø Glimt game. Pellegrini accuses Kjetil Knusen (Bodø manager) of starting the fight, but according to other sources - it was the Roma goalkeeping coach Nuno Santos who got most aggressive. He was waiting in the tunnel after the game and when Knutsen told him to F..OFF - he attacked Knutsen and grabbed his throat.

And now another newspaper says that Knutsen punched Santos

Bastionen

Supports
Lyn
Was a huge fight in the tunnel after the Roma - Bodø Glimt game. Pellegrini accuses Kjetil Knusen (Bodø manager) of starting the fight, but according to other sources - it was the Roma goalkeeping coach Nuno Santos who got most aggressive. He was waiting in the tunnel after the game and when Knutsen told him to F..OFF - he attacked Knutsen and grabbed his throat.

And now another newspaper says that Knutsen punched Santos
I am probably biased, but I find it very hard to believe that Knutsen would be provoked to attack anyone, as Roma are saying. He had just won a huge game, and it would be completely out of character.

It's much easier for me to see how Roma staff would be frustrated after failing to beat Bodø/Glimt for the 3rd match in a row. Nuno Santos has been banned for improper conduct previously as well.

Samid

https://www.glimt.no/nyheter/-et-angrep-pa-klubbens-verdier

PRESS RELEASE: - AN ATTACK ON THE CLUB'S VALUES
Rome's behavior is not just a physical attack on Kjetil Knutsen, it is a systematic attack on Glimt's values. We as a small club can not stand with our hat in the hand and accept such behavior.

- I work in football as it is something I am passionate about and give myself joy. Experiencing unsportsmanlike manipulation up close makes me sad, says Kjetil Knutsen.

Video proves the attack on Knutsen
Rome is bombarding the media with untruths, in an attempt to hide the unsportsmanlike behavior. Glimt knows that there is a video of the incident, which shows the attack on Knutsen from representatives of Rome's support apparatus. The club has seen this video. We demand that the public have access to this video owned by UEFA.

Knutsen further says that he is shocked by the reprehensible behavior that Roma brought into the match.

A proven violation of the rules of the game is that the goalkeeping coach of Roma positioned himself illegally outside the coaching staff, where he continuously verbally and gesturingly harassed Knutsen. Glimt made the fourth referee and UEFA's delegate note this on several occasions. The complaints were not heeded and Roma's goalkeeping coach was allowed to continue his behavior unhindered.

- Everything culminated in a physical attack on me in the player tunnel. Usually I'm so by nature that I would withdraw. In this case, I was physically attacked. He grabbed me by the neck and pushed me into the wall. It is only natural that I then had to defend myself, says Knutsen.

Knutsen says that he has zero problems with adrenaline and commitment on a coaching staff during a match. He says this has been a natural part of everyday football in Hovding, Fyllingsdalen, Åsane and Glimt.

- The harassing behavior we experienced during yesterday's match, on the other hand, has nothing to do at a football stadium, Knutsen says.

- Glimt sees no other choice than to report Nuno Santos to the police on the basis of the physical attack on Kjetil Knutsen. It is completely untenable with such behavior. This is a systematic provocation, manipulation and finally the exercise of physical violence against Kjetil Knutsen. We are confident that an objective body will ignore incorrect claims from Roma's coaching team, says general manager of Glimt Frode Thomassen.

Thomassen expects UEFA to respond and secure football's global values of no violence, and fair play.

- Our focus is now on the matches in the days ahead. There, we at Glimt will put on sporting courage, and our football shoes solidly planted in the values we believe in, Knutsen concludes.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Video proves the attack on Knutsen
Rome is bombarding the media with untruths, in an attempt to hide the unsportsmanlike behavior. Glimt knows that there is a video of the incident, which shows the attack on Knutsen from representatives of Rome's support apparatus. The club has seen this video. We demand that the public have access to this video owned by UEFA.

Time to disqualify Roma from the tournament and send Bodø Glimt through. They will win in Rome anyway but it would be nice to get some rest.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
The Romans never made it as far as Norway. They are making a late push, but the fearless Cnutson stopped them with his bare hands.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why is Tom Brady coaching Bodø anyways, i thought he unretired!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Where are they in the Norwegian league, would be fun to see them in the CL given their results this season.

whitbyviking

Couple of the young players we had on loan or in our juniors are in the Eliteserien, makes it fun to watch! One of them in Denmark too.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
So Solskjær was contacted by NFF regarding the womens team. He turned them down, understandably.