Norwegian Football Thread

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Bizarre situation. A Haugesund player sent off for arguing with his own keeper (after a penalty was wrongly given against him). I feel it's very harsh to send him off for that, but is it by the rules? http://www.tv2.no/v/1032890/
Should have been a yellow. Stupid behaviour from the keeper, why on earth provoke a teammate?

Also I don't like these new rules where the smallest signs of dissent is rewarded with a booking. Two bookings in this game for players that aren't happy with offside calls. One other guy booked for shooting at goal 0,5 seconds after the whistle for offside. Footballers aren't robots.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The penalty decision was absolutely wrong, if ref had gotten it right, the situation would never occur.
But aren't the rules quite clear about hitting, or pushing people in the face, teammate or not?
It's a small town, they probably got issues with eachother outside of football or something... ;)

Didn't watch the game, so haven't seen the other situations, but sounds... special.

Grylte

4th game, and the supporters in Bergen are singing "Gullet ska hem" - hahaha :)

Laphroaig

I don't get why all the Norwegian papers had Vålerenga finishing 5th in their predictions. They overrated them badly and it's hard to see why. I suppose because most of the teams are poor/unpredictable. Of course the season's just begun, but they're not going to magically turn good with this squad.

Last edited:

Asger

Behind the striker.
Ok that or midfield three is perfect for him... Can't understand why many teams after the Chelsea and Barca era let him be a lone striker... Are any other Icelandic players doing well so far in the season???

Laphroaig

Ok that or midfield three is perfect for him... Can't understand why many teams after the Chelsea and Barca era let him be a lone striker... Are any other Icelandic players doing well so far in the season???
Yeah, he's there to assist and he's already got a few, another one today. I don't watch the most Icelandic sides much (Lillestrøm, Viking, Tromsø?).

Asger

Yeah, he's there to assist and he's already got a few, another one today. I don't watch the most Icelandic sides much (Lillestrøm, Viking, Tromsø?).
Yeah and there are 3 in Rosenborg. Our best keeper at Bodo/Glimt í think

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Can you guys tell me anything about Daniel Bamberg? Played almost all his professional life in Tippeligaen and Allsvenskan but he's now playing in Iceland. I heard he managed to be the player with the most assists sometime in either league so what's he doing in Iceland?

Laphroaig

Can you guys tell me anything about Daniel Bamberg? Played almost all his professional life in Tippeligaen and Allsvenskan but he's now playing in Iceland. I heard he managed to be the player with the most assists sometime in either league so what's he doing in Iceland?
The main thing I remember about him is the realization that he's Brazilian. He'd probably played in Norway a couple of years when I heard that. It's a perfectly legit Norwegian name.

Haugesund is a bit of a nothing team, so I never watch them (they're consistently midtable, which is respectable for a club of their stature, I think). He's been Haugesund's top assister three of his seasons there, but never in the (Norwegian) league. He's played with some very good strikers there, Djurdic, Søderlund and Gytkjær.

Stats here: http://www.altomfotball.no/element....&tournamentId=1&seasonId=333&useFullUrl=false He played for Haugesund in 2011 and 2013-15.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The main thing I remember about him is the realization that he's Brazilian. He'd probably played in Norway a couple of years when I heard that. It's a perfectly legit Norwegian name.

Haugesund is a bit of a nothing team, so I never watch them (they're consistently midtable, which is respectable for a club of their stature, I think). He's been Haugesund's top assister three of his seasons there, but never in the (Norwegian) league. He's played with some very good strikers there, Djurdic, Søderlund and Gytkjær.

Stats here: http://www.altomfotball.no/element....&tournamentId=1&seasonId=333&useFullUrl=false He played for Haugesund in 2011 and 2013-15.
Maybe the difference between top teams in Iceland and mid-table teams in Norway isn't big. You mention Søderlund, he spent a season here with FH and wasn't particularly good. Didn't stand out in the league and he played for the champions. I guess the top teams here can pay good money now and maybe the allure of European football, albeit early qualification European football, is high and the manager of Breiðablik has connections everywhere.

Laphroaig

Maybe the difference between top teams in Iceland and mid-table teams in Norway isn't big. You mention Søderlund, he spent a season here with FH and wasn't particularly good. Didn't stand out in the league and he played for the champions. I guess the top teams here can pay good money now and maybe the allure of European football, albeit early qualification European football, is high and the manager of Breiðablik has connections everywhere.
Søderlund's story is a special one though. He's the Norwegian version of Vardy. He played in lower leagues in Italy, Belgium, Iceland, then lower league in Norway. Then he showed up at Haugesund aged 24 and almost immediately became an international.

There's many good Icelandic players in the league now, and your NT is better than ours, so I don't doubt that going from Norwegian midtable to an Icelandic top team might be a step up.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
:lol:

Grylte

Just go to the pub, drink beer, talk with your friends while watching.
Best way to ignore the annoying Norwegian commentators.
Ooooor go to pubs where they use British tv-channels ;)

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Nordlie? WTF. Besides obviously knowing feck all about football he also sounds like a stoned hobo while talking.

1/10 choice.

Laphroaig

Just go to the pub, drink beer, talk with your friends while watching.
Best way to ignore the annoying Norwegian commentators.
Ooooor go to pubs where they use British tv-channels ;)
51 matches. 4 beers per match. £7 per pubby beer. Total cost: £1428. Can I sue Nordlie/NRK for 15 000 NOK?

Grylte

51 matches. 4 beers per match. £7 per pubby beer. Total cost: £1428. Can I sue Nordlie/NRK for 15 000 NOK?
We should atleast try!
And take into consideration that after beer 3, there is no turning back, then i drink till the pub closes.
So it will in reality be alot more expensive.
Unless i only have one beer for each half, then i'm still capable of going home.
The third one really is dangerous!

Laphroaig

We should atleast try!
And take into consideration that after beer 3, there is no turning back, then i drink till the pub closes.
So it will in reality be alot more expensive.
Unless i only have one beer for each half, then i'm still capable of going home.
The third one really is dangerous!
Three beers per game might be my average, but you have to take into account the beers for turning up early to get a seat and the one hour wait between matches (as well as the six (?) beers after the final match until the pub closes, as you rightly point out). On the other hand - the final group matches are simultaneous, so I'll have to subtract six beers from my lawsuit.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
So, Molde fans / Noggie football followers, Ole’s Molde have dropped from the top places with the last 7 matches’ results of W1 D1 L5. The team should be doing better with the players they’ve got, or am I way off? What’s the issue?

Laphroaig

So, Molde fans / Noggie football followers, Ole’s Molde have dropped from the top places with the last 7 matches’ results of W1 D1 L5. The team should be doing better with the players they’ve got, or am I way off? What’s the issue?
They've turned it around with four wins in a row, some very tough games as well. The perhaps biggest problem was losing many of their best players early this summer, then having to wait for the Norwegian window to open so their replacements could come. They've bought well, I think. Hopefully they'll be able to challenge Rosenborg next season, but they look strong at the moment. But will probably start to lose their best players soon. And Rosenborg pissing away their chance of playing in Europe is probably good for their rivals (but overall bad for Noggieball).

Laphroaig

NFF thankfully told Odd to do one after their pathetic protest...

I'm watching the Norwegian kids at the moment. A front six of Dæhli, Ødegaard, Zahid, Moa, Aursnes and Fossum look very promising on paper, despite the lack of a striker.

top1whoisman

Scout
They've turned it around with four wins in a row, some very tough games as well. The perhaps biggest problem was losing many of their best players early this summer, then having to wait for the Norwegian window to open so their replacements could come. They've bought well, I think. Hopefully they'll be able to challenge Rosenborg next season, but they look strong at the moment. But will probably start to lose their best players soon. And Rosenborg pissing away their chance of playing in Europe is probably good for their rivals (but overall bad for Noggieball).
Cheers! Yeah noticed the change in results, good to hear it’s getting better. In Scandinavia, it’s unfortunately, and fortunately, always the case of losing your best players abroad. Hard to build a good long-term squad that would have a chance to do well in Europe unless it’s 30yrs+ players.

Laphroaig

Cheers! Yeah noticed the change in results, good to hear it’s getting better. In Scandinavia, it’s unfortunately, and fortunately, always the case of losing your best players abroad. Hard to build a good long-term squad that would have a chance to do well in Europe unless it’s 30yrs+ players.
Yup. Molde have lost seven of their key players from their 2014 title winning squad, plus sold and brought back two(!). They've had to change everything except one centre back and the left full back. Not to excuse their last two seasons, they have certainly underachieved.

Grylte

In Norway it is considered a step up to go to a weak dutch team, 2. Bundesliga, Austria or Switzerland.
Even if the league is worse, they pay is so much higher than he Norwegian teams can afford.
Many even go to weaker leagues, and teams lower on the table, than playing in Norwegian teams who get into EL, or even CL, once in a while.

Laphroaig

In Norway it is considered a step up to go to a weak dutch team, 2. Bundesliga, Austria or Switzerland.
Even if the league is worse, they pay is so much higher than he Norwegian teams can afford.
Many even go to weaker leagues, and teams lower on the table, than playing in Norwegian teams who get into EL, or even CL, once in a while.
Yeah, I'm not liking the 2. Bundesliga trend. The Norwegian league was a stepping stone to the big leagues, now it's a stepping stone to the stepping stone to the big leagues. Well, now Henriksen and Diomande have finally made it there, but it's a bit sad too see one of our best players, Stefan Johansen, going to that awful Scottish league, and when he's finally moving, it's only to the championship. Midtable/bottom half PL teams should have had look at him.

Grylte

Agree about Johansen, on his day, he's a brilliant player, his passing and vision is plenty good for midtable or lower, PL-club. The poor Scottish league probably made him a worse player than he was before going there.

You did forget Nordtveit at West Ham btw.
Probably not good enough player to take West Ham higher than last season, but a decent defensive midfielder who can play CB aswell. Personally rate Johansen over Nordtveit, even though they play different position.

Is Tettey still at Norwich?

Laphroaig

Tettey's still at Norwich. He even captained them, didn't he? That's good, especially for a player I didn't think would amount to much.

I didn't include Nordtveit since he took an entirely different route: Arsenal youths then a good Bundesliga team. And tbh he's another one I never quite got the point of. Johansen is better than both of them and has a far higher ceiling. In addition to the qualities you mention, he has fight and bite in him. He can battle and he can play. He's probably a good fit for the PL. Well, he might be there next season already.

top1whoisman

Scout
Sounds familiar.. Although we’ve (one club) made it only once to CL proper and EL proper respectively.