Nostalgia Draft - Winner - Isotope

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He wasn't a liability. Who said that? He was good at reading the game and interceptions when playing deeper. More than capable just not so much if it was him on his own with the defensive role. Fine in a two though in my opinion.
Nah, I hear he needs at least two bodyguards, if not five.

antohan

I’m still sore about people questioning him even when protected by Davids and Keane.
Fecking unreal. No idea when that happened, but someone mentioned it in my game along the lines of "if Davids and Keane can't protect him then..." and I was like "then you have all lost your marbles" :lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Most of us have got blood on our hands regarding the Pirlo underrating in fairness. Imagine that you've drafted Maradona in some obscenely stacked all-time draft, you're facing a Davids/Pirlo/Keane midfield, and the opposition manager says something remotely critical about one of your players or their fit, and I defy you to say that you wouldn't mention the possibility of Maradona rinsing Pirlo in a 1v1. And as a great bard once said:

Yeah, I think it's more of a draft thing where we see it as a series of 1v1 match-ups, sometimes with 11 balls on the park. I'd say that a generic lazy 10 is more of a defensive liability than Pirlo in a 3-man midfield unit, even thought that player is further away from goal.
I vaguely remember facing Vidic when I sported a striker that could accelerate faster than a mobility scooter and feeling virtuous as feck that I didn't mention 'pace' once. And I might even have imagined this match.

Himannv

Can you link the game? I hope I wasn't doing that
Went back and read through that. No, it wasn't you, or even any one specific person. In fact a lot of people said it was the best setup for Pirlo they had seen. Just that there was always that perception throughout that he needed that sort of support and if he was up against someone like Maradona instead of Di Stefano, he'd be toast. Replaced him with Beckenbauer in the next round (no regrets there, Keane, Davids, and Beckenbauer was probably the best midfield I've ever built).

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/coronavirus-draft-r1-eap-vs-himannv.454004/

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Went back and read through that. No, it wasn't you, or even any one specific person. In fact a lot of people said it was the best setup for Pirlo they had seen. Just that there was always that perception throughout that he needed that sort of support and if he was up against someone like Maradona instead of Di Stefano, he'd be toast. Replaced him with Beckenbauer in the next round (no regrets there, Keane, Davids, and Beckenbauer was probably the best midfield I've ever built).

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/coronavirus-draft-r1-eap-vs-himannv.454004/
It seems like only your opponent tries to question him there slightly but even he backs off himself.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Apparently the guy is a defensive liability though. It's no good to slice teams wide upon, you are suppised to run over them, preferavly with long studs.

I would have sworn that's why I played rugby and not football, my coach was wrong all along. Too late now.
I wasn’t a fan of how you used him in your game personally. I thought we had a better set up with Gattuso / Rijkaard on either side, but I know you had an issue with Rijkaard in that role.

He does seem to be a player who divides opinions but I agree that overall he seems to be a bit underrated in terms of draft influence. As Gio said part of this is the need to see everything as a 1 vs 1 individual battle, but I also think there’s a tendency for people to have a rigid view that there should only be one “designated playmaker” in each team, which causes issues when Pirlo is partnered with another technical ball-player.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He does seem to be a player who divides opinions but I agree that overall he seems to be a bit underrated in terms of draft influence. As Gio said part of this is the need to see everything as a 1 vs 1 individual battle, but I also think there’s a tendency for people to have a rigid view that there should only be one “designated playmaker” in each team, which causes issues when Pirlo is partnered with another technical ball-player.
Yeah, I think this tendency to think in 1:1 duels too much simply comes with the format. Collective processes are much harder to imagine, and are even more fantasy products than direct duels.

One major outcome is that the value of great buildup play has less importance than in real football. (Also true for the troubles a bumpy buildup brings with it.) The same goes for good collective defending, which is why it always seems better (against the ball) to have a collection of warriors in midfield.

So, buildup play underrated & hyperphysical defending overrated? Not hard to see why Pirlo loses out. But awareness of these issues has increased imo, and I have the feeling Pirlo is a bit more appreciated now than he used to be.

antohan

I wasn’t a fan of how you used him in your game personally. I thought we had a better set up with Gattuso / Rijkaard on either side, but I know you had an issue with Rijkaard in that role.

You did have a more agreeable setup indeed. I never saw an issue with him there, nor with him not being afforded "enough protection". My issue with Rijkaard had nothing to do with Pirlo.

Your approach was a lot more straightforward as well with your front three, but almost exclusively revolved around effective counters down the flanks, nothing much going on through the middle.

You were terribly unlucky you faced a team which looked made to deal with you, much like I was unlucky to get matched to Kaká of all people. There was no way I could say with a straight face I would be fine dealing with him without making those arrangements. But then, we know how things go when you break symmetry, one by one player matching and such shite. You wouldn't believe it's mostly United fans which saw us line up our midfield and attack differently regularly in the late 00s.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed. I always try to assess the overall team's performance, and try not to go 1 vs 1. Although there should be an arrangement to negate the impact of opponent best player(s) also.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Iso vs harms Wednesday, 7/14/21
Himman vs TheReligion

And congratulation @harms for reaching the Final.

antohan

You seem to be more confident in my team than I am at the moment :lol:
You'll be fine mate. Same as your initial lineup last time but Vidic left and Rio right instead of Tassotti and Shevchenko on for Litmanen.

Clear as day improvement.