Not in the Race?

OleBoiii

You should never lose hope when the title is within reach, but realistically speaking we were never gonna win the league with this team.

I like our team, but we are another 2-3 top players away from being a typical PL winner. If we win this season then we'll probably be viewed as one of the most underwhelming teams to win the PL. At least in the bottom 20%. The Ole critics will of course whine, but the truth is that we are over-performing this season. Ole should be given some credit for that, as that is typically the sign of a good manager.

El Zoido

City are too good, regardless of what we do. They have won 14 games in a row in all competitions. Let’s continue to build and develop the team, we’re still on an upward trajectory.

RashfordisRed

There's no doubt that City are overwhelming favourites now. In my mind they've won it, but there is that small chance that complacency steps in.

This was hard to read but a reminder of what could go wrong: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/17853469

Payback time? You never know...
I can't say this season has not crossed my mind on more than one occasion, for all of the recent down mood I do think this sort of blip and run of fixtures a year ago would probably have resulted in 1-3pts out of the 12 available. We have got 5pts, and were very close to doubling that - there is no doubt we are improving.

If you actually look at the way we have played in our last 3 games, I don't think many could argue we have played much better all season. Lest we forget, the performance at Brighton, the first halves at Southampton and West Ham generated 9 points but I don't think many can say the performances were very good.

I am starting to see some attacking patterns emerging, a confidence that we can break teams defences down and a control in games which I have not seen for a long time. We are not the favourites, and if we are to even have a sniff it will mean City have thrown things away but I do think we could be going into the game at the Etihad in a position where a win brings us right back into a race.

City are good, and are the best team in the league but they were not very far away from dropped points against Brighton and Aston Villa, with Europe coming into the mix, not to mention the League Cup final - it is not guaranteed that they will continue this brilliant run, no game in the PL is easy.

If we can get through against West Ham, and get a full house against Newcastle and WBA we could be the closest challengers to City and closer than the current mood makes us think.

Peterfeeter

Think we need to taper our expectations, we just finished third, if we can finish third or second and win something then I think that would be a solid spring board.
Exactly. Second this season hopefully and a couple of good additional players for next season.

Smores

Is a piss poor excuse to lower the expectations and ease up the pressure.

Yes, we're not favorites but we should always be contenders. That type of weak ass statements shouldn't be accepted in a club like ours, losers mentality no matter how you look at it.
Agreed but it seems like the forum is already turning from 'look at this great team Ole has built' to 'they're all shit what can Ole do'. Anything to frame the manager in a good light.

That city team is far from special but they've got a special manager. Our current squad is good enough to challenge, maybe not win but be very close to the winner.

We've seen many times before that as soon as teams are out of the race form drops. Our players aren't pumped to retain a top 4 position. He should be sending out the message that we'll fight for every game to make sure we catch City if they falter. Instead it's the same all weak defensiveness from Ole.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Got to admit it kind of sucks to have the 2 best managers in the world currently managing our two biggest rivals. It couldn't be a worse situation for us.

Ole to his credit is doing a decent job and we are certainly not mugs under him. We are just not quite good enough to take that final step..

SuperiorXI

What frustrates me most about this is that it was obvious to 99% of fans in the transfer window that we needed a CB and RW, it was not a nice to have, we were absolutely desperate.

Ole wasn't backed and it was a terrible window. I predicted we'd be comfortably out of the top 4. Ole has achieved a miracle so far to be where we are... imagine if he had been backed? No question, we'd be in a title race in a strong position.

EdinburghDevil

We either need to get Bailly fit and playing regularly or sign another CB and there needs to be a serious look at whether Henderson is up to the job of replacing DDG. Those 2 positions would have made the biggest difference to our season so far.

RedStarUnited

What frustrates me most about this is that it was obvious to 99% of fans in the transfer window that we needed a CB and RW, it was not a nice to have, we were absolutely desperate.

Ole wasn't backed and it was a terrible window. I predicted we'd be comfortably out of the top 4. Ole has achieved a miracle so far to be where we are... imagine if he had been backed? No question, we'd be in a title race in a strong position.
Based on what? we finished third last year and only Chelsea really improved on their squad. You thought a a finished Jose/Arsenal were going to be that much better than us?

The standard is so low for United these days in some fans eyes.

Infra-red

Got to admit it kind of sucks to have the 2 best managers in the world currently managing our two biggest rivals. It couldn't be a worse situation for us.

Ole to his credit is doing a decent job and we are certainly not mugs under him. We are just not quite good enough to take that final step..
The fact that both Liverpool and City are (by their standards) having poor seasons, has given us a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately, there's every chance that Klopp and Guardiola will get their sides back up to speed at some stage and everyone (including us) will be left 20 points adrift again. I think we'll look back in a few years and see this season as a bit of a missed opportunity.

SuperiorXI

Based on what? we finished third last year and only Chelsea really improved on their squad. You thought a a finished Jose/Arsenal were going to be that much better than us?

The standard is so low for United these days in some fans eyes.
Easy to say in hindsight. The window was a shocker and our 3rd place finish was because of one man in incredible form.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
And?

The back 5 still isn't good enough. The two he bought would stay, no problem.

Get DDG and Lindelof replaced and we could win something.
Two that he bought for 130 fecking mil pounds are biggest problem and when/if new manager comes, they will be first who will go on the bench. One is slowest player in league because of who we can't play with high line and other can barely control the ball.

Anyway, this quotes about title are disgrace (no matter can we win it or not). If Moyes or Jose have said that ....

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There's no real title race this year. We were misled by City being behind us with two games in hand, in reality them winning one and drawing one would have put them either level with us or 1-2 points within, while obviously having a much stronger and deeper team and more experience in the same situation. I think the perception of us being in title race simply came from the fact people came into this season adoring Liverpool (including this board) and refusing to admit they were not the main title contender after losing Van Dijk.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The fact that both Liverpool and City are (by their standards) having poor seasons, has given us a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately, there's every chance that Klopp and Guardiola will get their sides back up to speed at some stage and everyone (including us) will be left 20 points adrift again. I think we'll look back in a few years and see this season as a bit of a missed opportunity.
Opportunity missed by us? Nah not for me. That would imply we have the best team and have messed it up. We don't.

Covid has wrecked our hopes of adding another world class player or two though for sure.

Adamsk7

Honestly a cup win and a comfortable top four finish (which we’ve not done twice in a row since Fergie) would be good enough for me. I’d like us to get second, which I think is achievable, and I believe so far we truly have been the second best team in the league so it’s an accurate reflection.
theres no way we’re gonna get ahead of City this year but they have some issues in their squad that need addressing next year, most notably their forward line, so I do see that with a good window, we can compete. That’s the issue though isn’t it? Will our board let us have a good window? Debatable.

bsCallout

Two that he bought for 130 fecking mil pounds are biggest problem and when/if new manager comes, they will be first who will go on the bench. One is slowest player in league because of who we can't play with high line and other can barely control the ball.

Anyway, this quotes about title are disgrace (no matter can we win it or not). If Moyes or Jose have said that ....
You really think a new manager drops AWB & Maguire, you're off your rocker.

Ole doesn't agree the price, he says who he wants and Eddy gets it done. The price is irrelevant.

And what comments? That we aren't talking about titles? He's being straight and honest.

Giggsy13

I honestly believe we are a world class CB and right sided attacker away from being title contenders. We’re similar to the scousers pre-VVD.

Upamecano and one of Grealish or Sancho would have us challenging for the league next year. It’s a pity though that Glazers will likely fail to pony up that type of investment this summer.

Crashoutcassius

the first team needs to improve this summer... seems like everything has gone quiet on the higher ups at the club but if we really dont improve this summer again then that is insane

OleTheGreat

Simple as getting more points than us.
I think they are losing more points at this point in time than us and I think we can keep up with them but it's City that really concerns me. It really bugs me that we are not even mentioned even though we are second in the table. It is even sadder that Ole thinks we don't have a chance now.

Crashoutcassius

I honestly believe we are a world class CB and right sided attacker away from being title contenders. We’re similar to the scousers pre-VVD.

Upamecano and one of Grealish or Sancho would have us challenging for the league next year. It’s a pity though that Glazers will likely fail to pony up that type of investment this summer.
upamecano can obviously grow into that but we aren't getting a VVD like impact from him unless we are very lucky. He has a lot of mistakes in him that he needs to iron out. would be a no brainer signing at the cheap buy out clause but i think fans are buying into the hype and working themselves up for disappointment if they think he is VVD / world class level

Crashoutcassius

Lots of posts saying that ole said it because it is 'truth' or because he isn't strong enough etc. very few saying what is true, he said it for a reason to try to improve the club going forward, whether it is to take the pressure off players, make that the headline and not DDG, or force the club to actually invest this summer. All managers do this. I assume most of you have been watching football long enough to have seen it with other managers. he didn't just get scared and say it, or just 'tell the truth', although I can see why that would be convenient for some narratives

wolvored

While we are within reach and I would say 5 points adrift regardless of City having a game in hand, we are still in with a chance however unlikely that sounds. Imagine the uproar on here if City lost a game and we won to go 2 points behind. Saying that if the opposite happened that we lost and Liverpool Leicester and Chelsea won, then top 4 could be lost. Chelsea are on a good run under Tuchel and can see them getting back into the mix.

Infra-red

Opportunity missed by us? Nah not for me. That would imply we have the best team and have messed it up. We don't.

Covid has wrecked our hopes of adding another world class player or two though for sure.
This is our (and any other club that might be able to step up - Leicester/Chelsea/Spurs etc) best chance to win the league at any stage in the last 3 years. It might be another 3-4 years before Liverpool and City are both this bad again. That's what I mean by "missed opportunity".

If normal service resumes in 2021/22, we'll all be 20 points behind again.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nearly men due to a nearly manager.
I think that’s the golden statement that deserves one [serious] transfer window this summer to see if that’s true or not. Is Ole our Brendan Rodgers — good football, improves the side but takes us as far as he can get down to inherent issues with his coaching — or are we actually on the verge of hitting a level higher with the correct personnel added in the summer?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Lots of posts saying that ole said it because it is 'truth' or because he isn't strong enough etc. very few saying what is true, he said it for a reason to try to improve the club going forward, whether it is to take the pressure off players, make that the headline and not DDG, or force the club to actually invest this summer. All managers do this. I assume most of you have been watching football long enough to have seen it with other managers. he didn't just get scared and say it, or just 'tell the truth', although I can see why that would be convenient for some narratives
Yep. Agree with all of that. Ole has clearly made a decision to try and take pressure away and lower expectations rather than pile it on. Might not be the right call but it's pretty obviously a decision he has made rather than him just giving up and being brutally honest about it.

Some Man United fans do seem to look for reasons to bash Ole.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This is our (and any other club that might be able to step up - Leicester/Chelsea/Spurs etc) best chance to win the league at any stage in the last 3 years. It might be another 3-4 years before Liverpool and City are both this bad again. That's what I mean by "missed opportunity".

City are on pace for late 80's early 90's.

James35

Top 4 should be our realistic aim as it was before the season began. We flirted with the top for a couple of weeks which was great for us all but the team reverted to type almost immediately when it had something to fight for or hold on to.

The overall talent and mental fortitude is lacking to win a major trophy, hopefully with the correct and necessary improvements in the summer we can flirt with the top for a lot longer next season.

I seriously doubt any of the so called top 6 rivals will be as inconsistent next year and it is against these teams, we have dropped considerable points this season and need to improve.

SAFMUTD

Not really. Henderson has been given a year to learn and should get the chance.

He's bought two good defenders who would remain in the defence but he still needs a CDM & CB and even a GK if he wants one which he doesnt have and didn't buy. Klopp changed the whole back line. Pep has spent fortunes. Ole has only been able to change two players so far.
So you are saying he needs to change the whole defense and a new CDM in order to improve it? I think that's a free pass to him. IMO 145M should buy a solid defense, maybe not the best one in the league but we should have a solid one. We are the 11th defense in the league this season.

Would you swap the whole defense and CDM with this teams: Brighton, Burnley, Everton, Liverpool (with them playing midfielders as CBs), West Ham, Leicester, Aston Villa , Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs?

All of those teams have a better defensive record than us this season. I for sure wouldn't swap with them.

Foxbatt

I agree that this is exactly why it is an opportunity missed. Because City and Liverpool are having bad runs or did have bad runs is why it was an opportunity missed. If we had the best team then it would not have been a missed opportunity. We have to take into consideration that other teams will improve next season too.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
We are in a top 4 race with 6-7 other teams, including City.
It’s too early for any title race discussion this season with 45 points still to play for. A lot can happen. Let’s see where we are in april.

I still think we need two of Upamecano / Konate / Sancho / Grealish to really compete. Ole made us believe again - but it’s very clear to see we need a CB and a RW. I would say we need 2 CB’s actually since Lindelof and Maguire are not title winning standard.

tomaldinho1

City are pretty much the best team on paper every season because they have a top manager, unlimited resources and a stacked squad. They have only won two PL trophies though and this is Pep's 5th season...football isn't always logical and the 'best' team doesn't always win.

We dropped 3 points to bottom of the league Sheffield United and let slip a 2 goal lead at a difficult but average Everton; the fault lies with us, not them being untouchable. City will drop more points over the season, particularly if they progress deep into the CL.

peridigm

It would appear to me that the biggest problem our players face right now is mental. If Ole can make them believe they have a chance, they will play with confidence and put teams away early and see games out.
We were in a title race until Sheffield United. Since that match it appears some of the players have decided they are not in a title race.
City have hit their form and will stroll to the end but I think we'll manage 2nd.

bsCallout

So you are saying he needs to change the whole defense and a new CDM in order to improve it? I think that's a free pass to him. IMO 145M should buy a solid defense, maybe not the best one in the league but we should have a solid one. We are the 11th defense in the league this season.

Would you swap the whole defense and CDM with this teams: Brighton, Burnley, Everton, Liverpool (with them playing midfielders as CBs), West Ham, Leicester, Aston Villa , Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs?

All of those teams have a better defensive record than us this season. I for sure wouldn't swap with them.
Doesn't matter what your opinion is, nor is it Ole job to determine the price. He says what's positions he needs players and who he likes the look of. Ed does the rest. Hopefully Ole is now saying I need a GK, CB and CDM. Klopp and Pep have both spent plenty on all those positions.

Let's not ignore the fact we are more attacking than those but in any case I probably would swap the GK, CB, CDM with most of them. What a rubbish argument anyway.

If we swap Maguire for the best CB in the world we are still the same dreadful team defensively playing DDG, Lindelof & Fred.

Amir

theres no way we’re gonna get ahead of City this year but they have some issues in their squad that need addressing next year, most notably their forward line, so I do see that with a good window, we can compete. That’s the issue though isn’t it? Will our board let us have a good window? Debatable.
Thing is, if City improve their weaknesses, I can see them getting back up to 100-point-season standards. Can we match them? Doubtful.

SAFMUTD

Doesn't matter what your opinion is, nor is it Ole job to determine the price. He says what's positions he needs players and who he likes the look of. Ed does the rest. Hopefully Ole is now saying I need a GK, CB and CDM. Klopp and Pep have both spent plenty on all those positions.

Let's not ignore the fact we are more attacking than those but in any case I probably would swap the GK, CB, CDM with most of them. What a rubbish argument anyway.

If we swap Maguire for the best CB in the world we are still the same dreadful team defensively playing DDG, Lindelof & Fred.
Seriously would you swap? Ok lets just agree to disagree then, no point in arguing with someone who thinks those teams have better players than us.

bsCallout

Seriously would you swap? Ok lets just agree to disagree then, no point in arguing with someone who thinks those teams have better players than us.
Not hard to argue that they have better than Lindelof, Fred and DDG. Also, obviously you ignore the attacking comment.