Now we need changes to ownership rules - German model please

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So who would have thought these rancid cnuts, most of whom have shipwrecked their clubs, would exercise a lack of judgement in pulling this off :lol:

Now for the big win, structural changes in ownership. It's not enough for them to back down from this ludicrous proposal unilateral decision, we need to really see this momentum pull through all the way.

This all began with vulture capitalists and dictatorial states' sport washing programmes. I don't think there'll ever be as golden an opportunity to get the game back.

stevoc

Sadly if it falls apart because of teams chickening out then I doubt the government will get involved in club ownership. So we're stuck with them.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sadly if it falls apart because of teams chickening out then I doubt the government will get involved in club ownership. So we're stuck with them.
I'm not too sure. There's such enormous momentum and we've looked with envy towards Germany. I decided early on to look at this as an optimist and it turns out being optimistic about their horrific misjudgement and lack of sensing the public mood was exactly right.

I'm still quite optimistic.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think you lads on that side need to keep the pressure up on the clubs and on your MPs. Would love for nation states and vulture capitalists alike to be banned from club ownership. Ideally fan ownership is the end result. One can dream.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

This needs to be pushed.

Good thread. We need root and branch reform on ownership and governance. The German model is a one hundred per cent improvement on the corrupt, seedy and greedy model we have. This has to be the moment when everyone in the game, including government, says football clubs are community assets and not the private plaything of billionaires across the world. We need a majority of the power with the fans of each club. We also need financial reforms to create a more level playing field. The bigger clubs will always be bigger, but we need to stop allowing a cartel of super rich clubs (including United) in control. We need a more equal distribution of TV revenue within all leagues. Let's return to splitting gate receipts fifty-fifty so smaller clubs are net beneficiaries. There are a million things that need changing: the constant changes made to the Champions League, in order to help the 'big clubs' is one example. The gap between the elites and the rest has been growing for thirty years, which is detrimental to the game, IMO. Football needs re-balancing.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Relieving owners of their multi billion dollar businesses is a huge undertaking, probably with huge diplomatic efforts involved. I sincerely doubt there will be a tenth of the momentum and political effort present to tackle something like that, once the ESL idea is dead for good.

Bundesliga aha this model out of tradition, it's not something you can just suddenly impose after the financial dimensions of the business blew up like this.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Good thread. We need root and branch reform on ownership and governance. The German model is a one hundred per cent improvement on the corrupt, seedy and greedy model we have. This has to be the moment when everyone in the game, including government, says football clubs are community assets and not the private plaything of billionaires across the world. We need a majority of the power with the fans of each club. We also need financial reforms to create a more level playing field. The bigger clubs will always be bigger, but we need to stop allowing a cartel of super rich clubs (including United) in control. We need a more equal distribution of TV revenue within all leagues. Let's return to splitting gate receipts fifty-fifty so smaller clubs are net beneficiaries. There are a million things that need changing: the constant changes made to the Champions League, in order to help the 'big clubs' is one example. The gap between the elites and the rest has been growing for thirty years, which is detrimental to the game, IMO. Football needs re-balancing.
Agree with all of that. For this to happen we need huge pressure and popular support. I don't think UEFA or FIFA are progressive or credible to promote such changes, but within England, this groundswell of unison against the Super League needs to be harnessed to make the necessary changes.

Relieving owners of their multi billion dollar businesses is a huge undertaking, probably with huge diplomatic efforts involved. I sincerely doubt there will be a tenth of the momentum and political effort present to tackle something like that, once the ESL idea is dead for good.

Bundesliga aha this model out of tradition, it's not something you can just suddenly impose after the financial dimensions of the business blew up like this.
I don't doubt it's hugely complicated to enforce. There would have to be significant legislative changes and period of adaptation. And it may not be possible to force sales, but it's certainly possible to change conditions so that clubs can't be milked for money, and the attractiveness for the vultures diminished through regulation, in order to get to a place where structural changes can be implemented.

Great job Garry.