Music Oasis or The Stone Roses - Which was better?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Both bands peaked just a bit before I was born (1996). But as a football fan their songs are pretty much immortalised all around Manchester.

Which band was better in your opinon? Out of the 2 bands, Fools Gold was probably my favourite song.

lsd

The Oracle
Has to be a joke thread Oasis never had an original bone in their body whether it was musically or copying Ian Brown.

It's like asking was Status Quo better than the Rolling Stones

Blur vs Roses may be a debate but Roses were just better musically than pretty every band of that Era.

What other band was there where everyone could name the drummer and bassist?

The Gallaghers would probably struggle to name Oasis's

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Has to be a joke thread Oasis never had an original bone in their body whether it was musically or copying Ian Brown.

Blur vs Roses may be a debate but Roses were just better musically than pretty every band of that Era.

I like to think of them as the Kardashian's of the 90s.

kidbob

Stone Roses by an infinite amount. Oasis were ok, if a little (a lot) bland.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Happy Mondays or Chumbawamba ?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Stone Roses, easily. Their first album was better than anything Oasis ever did, their second was unfairly maligned and underrated.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Really like them both - well the early Oasis stuff anyway. Wasn't keen on the Roses' second album but the first was magnificent plus the tracks that didn't make it on there like One Love and Sally Cinnamon win it for me.

I didn't take that CD off my cd player for months when I got it - the only other albums I did that for were Nevermind, Disintegration and The Holy Bible.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The Roses, and its not even close. That debut album is miles above anything Oasis released.

Red Stone

Stone Roses takes it because of Wonderwall alone, although even without Wonderwall it's still Stone Roses. Their first album is a masterpiece. Oasis never came close.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Oasis were better overall. The longevity, overall better catalogue etc but the Stone Roses debut album is obviously better than anything Oasis ever managed. It's amazing how many Oasis songs sound almost identical to older songs... coincidental, of course... ;)

The Smiths are vastly superior to either and are comfortably the best band Manchester has ever produced.

Fingeredmouse

Oasis were better overall. The longevity, overall better catalogue etc but the Stone Roses debut album is obviously better than anything Oasis ever managed. It's amazing how many Oasis songs sound almost identical to older songs... coincidental, of course... ;)

The Smiths are vastly superior to either and are comfortably the best band Manchester has ever produced.
With you on the Smiths but Oasis have an overall better catalogue? I'm unaware of the run of great Oasis records that this back catalogue consists of.

Also: did Oasis last longer anyway?

Eckers99

It's true, Oasis went on for longer, with each album having less and less of what made them great. By Be Here Now they were offensively shite. Just plodding, coke-addled dad rock.

Thankfully The Roses finally called it a day when it became clear that the magic was gone. That moment being that awful 'All for one' thing they did after the reunion gigs.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Roses for the hipsters
Oasis for the common man
Blur for the soft southern ponces
Honestly, I was in my twenties and had no idea who they were in the 90s. Oasis on the other hand? Blimey, who the feck doesn't sing wonder wall at the top of their lungs when it comes on? If you don't then you're just lying.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
With you on the Smiths but Oasis have an overall better catalogue? I'm unaware of the run of great Oasis records that this back catalogue consists of.

Also: did Oasis last longer anyway?
Oasis' catalogue of hits actually spans across multiple albums though. They can release a greatest hits compilation, for example. The Roses would just re-release their debut album. I mean just by virtue of releasing Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and The Masterplan they top the Roses in terms of overall catalogue, IMO.

I don't have much love for Oasis past Be Here Now but if you accept them for what they were then at least they were still fairly successful well into the 2000's.

Eckers99

Oasis' catalogue of hits actually spans across multiple albums though. They can release a greatest hits compilation, for example. The Roses would just re-release their debut album. I mean just by virtue of releasing Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and The Masterplan they top the Roses in terms of overall catalogue, IMO.

I don't have much love for Oasis past Be Here Now but if you accept them for what they were then at least they were still fairly successful well into the 2000's.
You've obviously never heard Turns Into Stone.

Or the many highlights from Second Coming.

The first 90 seconds of 'Elephant Stone' are better than the whole Oasis back catalogue.