Odion Ighalo: Manchester United player on loan until the end of the season

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I like Igahlo but unless we are having a top class summer in other positions just extending him till the summer would have been better.

Important to remember we need to be closing the gap on City and Liverpool which will be very hard if with them most likely adding Werner.

We need a big summer. Talking keeping Pogba and getting Sancho.
Well we got Ighalo because there was a need. That need does not go away just because Rashford is back. We need a reliable backup striker that, as Ole put it, will break his nose to score a goal. Ighalo fits all the bills and frankly he's proven himself during his time here.

This has no bearing on summer business in other positions. It does however make a Joshua King purchase extremely unlikely.

TheReligion

Abusive
Great news. Looks like he's staying until January. Hopefully will be confirmed later today or tomorrow but certainly a boost to the squad.

Zoo

Quite like this. By January we’ll have a better idea of where Greenwood is at and whether we’d need a new striker.

Great news if we can get him until Jan. means we have some continuity into the first half of next season and allows any new striker we might but to settle in.

if everyone we signed had his attitude then we would have no issues with transfers.

I’m sick of buying players like Sanchez, Lukuku and Di Maria. Give me attitude over talent (not in Lukuku’s case, who nether had the talent or attitude required) every time.

Dan_F

Quite like this. By January we’ll have a better idea of where Greenwood is at and whether we’d need a new striker.
Agree completely. We have to focus everything on the right wing and potentially a CM, although Pogba staying means that can be put off till next year to replace Matic.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great news if this goes through. Til January is also a good time until Greenwood is more ready to get more game time.

CM

Seems sensible. Keeping him here as an alternative to Martial works for us in the short-term while we wait for Greenwood to develop. Beats splurging however many millions on Josh King anyway.

POF

Great news. I am delighted for him. He seems genuinely thrilled to be at the club. It's great to see.

He's ideal for what the club needs right now. An experienced head who provides something completely different to Martial/Rashford/Greenwood. It also gives the club time to assess the post-COVID market and the continuing progress of the 3 young forwards.

Who knows how active anyone will be in the market at the end of the season? It's not the market where you want to desperately need new players. This at least gives United enough numbers up front.

el3mel

Very good news. Now the likes of Joshua King aren't really needed.

dalriada

Great news if it's true. As the Sky reporter says, he gives us something different to our other forwards and takes the weight off Rashford when he's just coming back from injury. If we're playing catch-up in the EPL and two cup tournaments, he'll be worth the money we're paying for him. He's like Fernandes as well, he's brought a feeling of hunger and success to the team.

meamth

This story about Ighalo, from a fan until a United player, warms my heart.

Seeing the caf backing him also made me so happy.

There's faith in caf, love it.

Guapa

Great news if true.Brings us something different up front that was sorely needed.

RUCK4444

Great news if true. Much better option to keep Ighalo if possible, he's already settled in and more importantly he hit the ground running, he will be ready and waiting to come on and make an impact when required. I happen to think that will be quite often, other than the young Greenwood he is the only true no. 9 in the squad.

When he had game time you can see the benefit of the positioning of a true number 9.

Let's get this one done and then hopefully focus our full attention as a club on Sancho.

Macedonian Red

Its great for us to have Ighalo for the rest of the season. But my opinion is that we should buy new striker for next season this summer and not waiting till january when clubs dont want to lose players for end of season. Anyway, thumbs up for this deal.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The best possible outcome for the club in a post covid market. Saves us a tonne of money that we can funnel into priority areas

Red Viking

He moves far better in the opposition goalkeeper area than our other attackers + he is far harder to deal with physically than Rashford and Martial. He scores a good amount of goals while also making us stronger as a team on the pitch as he dosn´t hide away when things gets tough. This guy deserves more time at the club as he adds something valuable to the team through experience + qualities we need. I really think he deserves praise and more time playing here as i look forward to see him play more.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Great news. I was very impressed by features of his game I didn't know he had as much. His hold up play, physicality, first touch and movement among others were impressive. Ideal squad player and a starter vs teams defending deep.

Red00012

Why don’t we do the honourable thing and give them Sanchez until January ?

RkkMan

Him agreeing to sign a new contract with his parent club shows he won`t stay here permanently so not a bad deal for all parties. Shanghai eventually get to keep their best player and get him back on full fitness, Ighalo continues to play for his dream club and I know he`ll continue giving it his all and Utd more or less make a cheap temporary back up CF signing freeing up funds for Sancho.

siw2007

Good news. Obviously the right move by the club, in a period where the games are going to come fast we will need every player to play a part. Ighalo has played well since he arrived here and expect him to play an important role going forwards.

The extension to January is also a good move for all parties. He was never a long term solution but it’s good that the club can keep him a bit longer. It becomes one less thing for us to worry about come summer.

EwanI Ted

No brainer really. Turned out far better than I expected and he's just the kind of decent utility/bench player you need in a season. Given the lack of certainty about the coming season, going gung-ho for a perm deal wouldn't make sense, so I think we balanced it just right.

MalcolmTucker

Best possible outcome. Offers us something different to Martial and gives Greenwood time to develop over the next 7 months. Hopefully by then Greenwood will be mature enough to be our 2nd striker and push Martial for the first team spot going forward.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm very happy with that. He deserves a better shot at it here due to his performances pre-covid-19. Furthermore, it gives us two transfer windows to sort out our offensive dealings before he leaves. By January we'll have an idea of where Greenwood's at and how we line up after our summer business. Bring in someone for the right and see what happens.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I reckon the reports of the Chinese club desperately wanting him back are wide of the mark.

Given the current global situation, you'd think they'd be keen to get his inflated wages off their books and confident that they could get another player of equal standing in for half the outlay.