Official Ballon D'Or Dream Team (best team of all time)

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Imo Dani Alves deserves to be there somewhere.

RedDevil@84

The fact that G.Müller didn't even make the third team, while guys like Henry or van Basten made it, is an absolute joke.
Henry is competing against Rivaldo, Giggs, Rummenigge etc.

Van Basten was competing against G. Muller

RedDevil@84

He’d be in my team. For a player who’s main job was to make goals and set up play, his goal scoring was phenomenal
Just FYI.. This was the list against which Sir Bobby was competing.

NationalityPlayerYearsClub with most appearancesBest result at Ballon d'Or
Roberto Baggio
1983–2004​
Juventus (200)​
Winner in 1993
Bobby Charlton
1956–1976​
Winner in 1966
Alfredo Di Stéfano
1945–1966​
Real Madrid (396)​
Winner in 1957 and 1959
Enzo Francescoli
1980–1997​
River Plate (233)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Ruud Gullit
1979–1998​
Milan (171)​
Winner in 1987
Gheorghe Hagi
1982–2001​
Galatasaray (192)​
4th in 1994
Andrés Iniesta
2002–present
Barcelona (674)​
2nd in 2010
Raymond Kopa
1949–1968​
Reims (463)​
László Kubala
1945–1967​
Barcelona (256)​
5th in 1957
Diego Maradona
1976–1997​
Napoli (259)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Sandro Mazzola
1961–1977​
Inter Milan (570)​
2nd in 1971
Pelé
1957–1977​
Santos (656)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Michel Platini
1973–1987​
Juventus (224)​
Winner in 1983, 1984 and 1985
Ferenc Puskás
1943–1966​
2nd in 1960
Gianni Rivera
1959–1979​
Milan (658)​
Winner in 1969
Juan Alberto Schiaffino
1945–1962​
Peñarol (227)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Sócrates
1974–1989​
Corinthians (269)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Francesco Totti
1993–2017​
Roma (786)​
5th in 2001
Zico
1971–1994​
Flamengo (505)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Zinedine Zidane
1989–2006​
Real Madrid (231)​
Winner in 1998

James Peril

It's a hypothetical team of course, since it would never work in that setup.

I still think that including Cristiano, despite all his stats, is recency bias.

I'm 100% convinced that he won't be included in those lists 50 years down the road, just like they left out arguably the most lethal striker of all time, Gerd Müller. He had even better numbers than Cristiano, but he also lacked that kind of "extra magic/flair" that Cristiano doesn't possess either.
This post is so stupid I have to go outside and scream to the ocean. Recency bias?!? If anything, recency bias leaves out players like Ronaldo because of exactly that... the fear of it.... and hipster mentality that older players have to join the party. Football wasn’t even professional back in the day, but of course Pele is added to the list, every single list - from a time all defenders looked like they just stumbled out from the pub. Don’t you dare compare Gerd Müller to Ronaldo, it’s highly ignorant. Ronaldo has been active in developing the sport, everything from his early technique, to how players now shoot the ball, the heel flicks, you name it. On top of that, five ballon d’ors in the same era as the best player in history, records here there and everywhere, longevity, all trophies (even one with a smaller footballing nation), still scoring goals for fun at 35.... he checks every single box. You say your thing, I wager he would be on every single list fifty years from now.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
My high school friends and I used to draft a lot of dream teams, until we got sick of it. That was in the 90's. Then the internet arrived in my country, and people got better hobbies.

lex talionis

Since there is no thread about it yet, I though it would be worth creating one.

France Football, who are also the guys responsible for the Ballon D'Or, are currently revealing their Ballon D'Or Dream Team.

140 football journalists from all around the world have elected the players.

So far the goalkeeper, defenders and midfielders have been revealed:

GK: Yashin
DEF: Beckenbauer, Maldini, Cafu
DM: Matthäus, Xavi
OM: Maradona, Pele
FW: ?
Not too sure about Pele as an outside midfielder, but to play along and answer the question FW ? surely it has to be Lionel Messi.

GameOn

This post is so stupid I have to go outside and scream to the ocean. Recency bias?!? If anything, recency bias leaves out players like Ronaldo because of exactly that... the fear of it.... and hipster mentality that older players have to join the party. Football wasn’t even professional back in the day, but of course Pele is added to the list, every single list - from a time all defenders looked like they just stumbled out from the pub. Don’t you dare compare Gerd Müller to Ronaldo, it’s highly ignorant. Ronaldo has been active in developing the sport, everything from his early technique, to how players now shoot the ball, the heel flicks, you name it. On top of that, five ballon d’ors in the same era as the best player in history, records here there and everywhere, longevity, all trophies (even one with a smaller footballing nation), still scoring goals for fun at 35.... he checks every single box. You say your thing, I wager he would be on every single list fifty years from now.
Sigh, grow up.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Tactically it's obviously complete lunacy, but it's hard to argue with any of the 11 selections who are all fully credible at the apex of the game.

Here are the second and third choice sides where the are a couple more eyebrow-raising selections.

No slot for Gerd Müller down to the third selection? That's a bit ridiculous.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Just FYI.. This was the list against which Sir Bobby was competing.

NationalityPlayerYearsClub with most appearancesBest result at Ballon d'Or
Roberto Baggio
1983–2004​
Juventus (200)​
Winner in 1993
Bobby Charlton
1956–1976​
Winner in 1966
Alfredo Di Stéfano
1945–1966​
Real Madrid (396)​
Winner in 1957 and 1959
Enzo Francescoli
1980–1997​
River Plate (233)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Ruud Gullit
1979–1998​
Milan (171)​
Winner in 1987
Gheorghe Hagi
1982–2001​
Galatasaray (192)​
4th in 1994
Andrés Iniesta
2002–present
Barcelona (674)​
2nd in 2010
Raymond Kopa
1949–1968​
Reims (463)​
László Kubala
1945–1967​
Barcelona (256)​
5th in 1957
Diego Maradona
1976–1997​
Napoli (259)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Sandro Mazzola
1961–1977​
Inter Milan (570)​
2nd in 1971
Pelé
1957–1977​
Santos (656)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Michel Platini
1973–1987​
Juventus (224)​
Winner in 1983, 1984 and 1985
Ferenc Puskás
1943–1966​
2nd in 1960
Gianni Rivera
1959–1979​
Milan (658)​
Winner in 1969
Juan Alberto Schiaffino
1945–1962​
Peñarol (227)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Sócrates
1974–1989​
Corinthians (269)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Francesco Totti
1993–2017​
Roma (786)​
5th in 2001
Zico
1971–1994​
Flamengo (505)​
Not eligible[note 1]
Zinedine Zidane
1989–2006​
Real Madrid (231)​
Winner in 1998
As a CM he had no peer. Some of those in that list are hugely overrated and one or two standout seasons. He did it for years, survived a plane crash and went on being great.

You can tell I’m biased :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
first team is undisputable
but zepp mayer deserves a place in one of the other teams
i rate him better than neuer
Might get shit for this but I think R9 being declared the greatest #9 of all time is overrating him.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
The fact that G.Müller didn't even make the third team, while guys like Henry or van Basten made it, is an absolute joke.
Any award based on votes will always be faulty

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
It's a hypothetical team of course, since it would never work in that setup.

I still think that including Cristiano, despite all his stats, is recency bias.

I'm 100% convinced that he won't be included in those lists 50 years down the road, just like they left out arguably the most lethal striker of all time, Gerd Müller. He had even better numbers than Cristiano, but he also lacked that kind of "extra magic/flair" that Cristiano doesn't possess either.
:lol: :nono: I'm laughing at this post, at the same time posts like these are sickening. One of the greatest LWF and striker the world has ever seen?. The greatest European player, the greatest Portuguese, the best player in EPL history, someone who along with Messi have dominated Football for 15 freaking years, "recency bias"?. You must have been watching a different sport the past 10 years.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Top 11 are complete:

GK: Yashin
DEF: Beckenbauer, Maldini, Cafu
DM: Matthäus, Xavi
OM: Maradona, Pele
FW: Messi, Ronaldo, CR7
Considering the tactical nightmare fitting this lot in one team, does anyone reckon they could pick an XI to beat this (not including the players listed above)?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Might get shit for this but I think R9 being declared the greatest #9 of all time is overrating him.
Not really looking at his achievements. Van Basten doesn’t even get close to this guy and he’s what? 35? Utterly ridiculous

Josh 76

Seeing as it's Ballon D'or we can expect Cristiano ROnaldo and Lionel Messi to be two of the three forward players, meaning there's one spot left.

Will it be Gerd Muller, Eusebio, Bestie, Cruyff?
George Best has never been rated by any other countries apart from the UK.
Can never understand that.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The fact that Gerd Muller is no where to be seen is ridiculous, he is the best goal scoring striker there ever has been, and he doesnt even make the 2nd team?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure how the voting system worked, but looking at those first, second and third string teams... Iniesta was a better midfielder (and player) than Xavi, Pirlo and Zidane in my book (probably Matthaus and Rijkaard too but never seen them play).

RUCK4444

It's down to peoples own opinion but I think he's the most complete no 9 imo.

Had insane levels of pace, power, skill, finishing, the lot.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I get it's more like a commemorative thing to be in those fictional dream team sides but I still do have a problem on calling them best team of all time with so many attackers making it to be something very unbalanced and quite possibly not a very good team if you could assemble such team in practice. For instance I think the third XI is more balanced and would win against the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Maradonna, Pele and fat Ronaldo as I think their midfield would get overrun with ease.

mancan92

I get it's more like a commemorative thing to be in those fictional dream team sides but I still do have a problem on calling them best team of all time with so many attackers making it to be something very unbalanced and quite possibly not a very good team if you could assemble such team in practice. For instance I think the third XI is more balanced and would win against the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Maradonna, Pele and fat Ronaldo as I think their midfield would get overrun with ease.
But imagine the counter :drool: do you need a midfield at that point?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Good grief......... Im a massive Ronaldo fan but your criticism of players from previous generations is just cringe worthy

Zen

Ever since the age of like 6 - I've done these fictional dream teams in at least a logical tactical setup.... do these journos voting not bother out of fear of leaving someone out?

Seeing a mish mash of GOATs in no real setup means nothing to me.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It's down to peoples own opinion but I think he's the most complete no 9 imo.

Had insane levels of pace, power, skill, finishing, the lot.
Ultimately I think given how long Footballs history now extends we are at a point where the candidates for various positions is no longer clear cut and comes down to personal choices. I struggle to have to choose for this team simply because the depth of quality now is so huge. So many amazing players from so many eras.

GameOn

:lol: :nono: I'm laughing at this post, at the same time posts like these are sickening. One of the greatest LWF and striker the world has ever seen?. The greatest European player, the greatest Portuguese, the best player in EPL history, someone who along with Messi have dominated Football for 15 freaking years, "recency bias"?. You must have been watching a different sport the past 10 years.
No, I for one have simply watched football for the past 30 years and also know/have watched games of the legends of the past.

Ronaldo isn't the best or most influential European player by any means.

Beckenbauer and Cruyff are both ahead of him.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Greatest of all time is always subjective, but young R9 is the perfect mix of everything you want in a striker : fast, strong, flair, finishing, ball control, he had it all and was doing everything faster than everyone. I have yet to see a player come close to being that unstoppable.
Old R9 is overrated IMHO, he was clinical but not that much better than Romario in his prime.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
But imagine the counter :drool: do you need a midfield at that point?
Yeah, it can be devastating and I can imagine a team with the younger versions of Ronaldo and Messi when they played as inside fowards from the flanks running and feeding passes into Ronaldo is a trio I don't think it can be bested but then I don't know what are Pele and Maradonna supposed to do in that set up. :lol: