Official: De Gea Signs New 4 (+ 1) year deal

NK86

Yeah we install it in all contracts now. It's essentially a 5 year deal but the option is ours. I guess it protects against injury or Andersonitis but also means we aren't liable to pay up an extra year of a contract if we sell them.
So the onus is all on us. Even better :D

Member 39557

We waited ages for him to sign a contract then he signs two at once (albeit at different clubs).

I'm sure he's really "delighted" :lol:

Still, we'll benefit in the long run regardless of him staying or going so I'm happy enough.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Regardless of what the specifics of this deal may be, this is absolutely excellent news. Hope he's starting tomorrow.

NK86

Where is Charlie "United have been exposed" Nicholas?

Don't think I can wait until tomorrow to hear him spin this, the spike haired, earring wearing gimp.
Who is that prick? Never heard of him.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Serious cash money when they next come calling and Dave back as our #1 fighting for a Euro 2016 starting spot.

Jackpot lads, surely?

Made our summer deals look fecking awesome hey.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Is it me or does anyone else feels with an option of extending contract for further 1 year he has not just agreed a contract as a formality but wants to stay here for much longer ?

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Just saw it. Fantastic news!

This is better (at least in short term) then any signing we have made.

feck Perez and Madrid!

settembrini

Absolutely fantastic news.

Well done Woodward. Amazing how much he has improved in such a short space of time as vice-chairman. He's gone from clown to competent to genius in a couple of years.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Good, now at least we'll get decent money for him, and we can finally stop playing Romero. Woody you brilliant bastard.

stubie

About time Real Madrid were knocked down a peg or two!

Angelinho

Ha ha - awesome. Keep DDG and stick two fingers up to Real. All hail Woody.

Bape

Is it realistic to expect him to stay for more than this season now? Or is this just a case for him to inevitably leave still and we can get a decent fee next summer?

predator

Youth NITK
Why did De Gea sign a new contract though?

Did we promise him serious gametime if he did sign it - which he needs for the euros?

littlepeasoup

The best thing is, our defence has actually been rather solid this season (apart from that funny 20 minutes we had in Wales). With DDG back between the sticks it's sure to gee up confidence even more.

LS17

Cannot wait to see how people manage to twist this to try back up their idiotic claims that we got played and were embarrassed, Soccer Saturday will be enjoyable.

Can see it tomorrow, after all that's been said about players using us... "DE GEA USED MADRID TO GET NEW CONTRACT"

DevilRed

Get in! I don't care if its for another year or two..we still gave the finger to those twats in madrid.

Don't give a toss what anyone says, we are a bigger club globally and have the most fans. We also will have more spending power than them in the coming years due to the popularity of the prem and the increased money that comes with it.

It sickens me that madrid/barca still negotiate their tv deals separately causing the rest of their league to suffer. If they had to share revenues like we do in the Prem they wouldn't nearly have as much spending power. Even with their individual deals we will soon eclipse their spending power anyways.

Shark

@NotShark
Is it realistic to expect him to stay for more than this season now? Or is this just a case for him to inevitably leave still and we can get a decent fee next summer?
I think so. We'll command a ridiculous fee now and Madrid might not cough it up for a goalkeeper. They barely coughed up the £30m.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brilliant. Here's hoping he's put that silly club out of his mind.

NK86

Is it me or does anyone else feels with an option of extending contract for further 1 year he has not just agreed a contract as a formality and wants to stay here for much longer ?
I am not sure what his intentions are because we none of us know of any release clause or verbal agreement. But as you said, it is not a simple one year extension. Signing a 4 year contract is a pretty big sign for me that we will have Madrid by the balls next time they come calling, those cheapskates.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If we stood firm on his price and didn't sell him with a year left on his contract this year, I'll be very surprised if they even bother trying to sign him next season with 4 years left on his contract.

Personally, I think this whole Edurne wanting him in Madrid thing was a method of negotiating through the press in the same way Mendes used Di Maria's burglary to look for a sympathetic response and ease the transfer through. I think De Gea was being wooed by Madrid with promises of his importance to the club as Iker's successor and ultimately when it all failed to go through he has been left realising what a snake Perez is and how little he actually meant to that club. He knows how good he's got it here and made an easy decision.

Alias

Did we promise him serious gametime if he did sign it - which he needs for the euros?
A number of factors i think. As Jerry Maguire said to Rod Tidwell... "If you get injured, you get nothing". This may have been a factor but it probably wasn't.

crimsonife

I'd assume so. No other reason why he would sign if he wasn't even going to play.

Although in my mind he's just used Real for a new contract :wenger:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i really hope there was some truth in those "de gea to get 10m if real fail to get him" stories. that would be the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake.

redevil2

Regardless of what the specifics of this deal may be, this is absolutely excellent news. Hope he's starting tomorrow.
Absolutely feeling ecstatic. And thinking that just 10 days ago we were almost emailing him away to Spain..this comes totally brilliant news. If he does not start tomorrow LvG is losing the plot. Am sure his mind set is now all pumped up and our defence believe we have a chance of a clean sheet. Wonderful.
p.s. damn, my prediction was 2-1 win, now I want to change it to whatever-nil!!!!