Official: Phil Jones will leave United at the end of the season

Licha M

Plot twist:

Jim completes takeover and re-signs Phil on rolling one year contract

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I am going to guess that there are quite a few on here who have forgotten what he was like when he was fit and healthy.

For my own part, I will say that he is one of the most natural defenders I have ever seen. He had a complete toolset for being an elite CB. Pace, power, reading of the game, bravery, aerial ability, quality on the ball, timing, tackling, leadership. If it wasn’t for his injuries, and he’d been able to play week in, week out, he’d be one of the PL’s all time best CBs.

And no, I’m not being nostalgic. People have just forgotten how brilliant he once was. And what enormous potential he once had.

There has been a lot of trash talk from fans over the years, which should only be directed at the club, who awarded that contract in 2019 to a player who couldn’t play anymore. Never towards Phil. No-one who is that good, has that much ability, promise, and fire in their belly, chooses not to play. He only didn’t play because he physically couldn’t.

He’s been robbed of a huge chunk of his career, and leaves with only a small fraction of the legacy that his ability and promise deserved. I wish him nothing but the best for the future, but above all, I hope that his body will allow him to play at least one more season somewhere he feels happy.

People will disagree with me, but keep it respectful. You don’t need to trash talk Phil to make your point. I think the vitriol directed towards him over the years, has been one of a few persistent distastes I’ve had for the direction this forum has trended in over the last decade.

TheHeya

my memory has failed me here but what happened to him after the Wolves game? He was sensational that game and didn’t play again after that?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good riddance.

He spent years stealing a living at United, had several chances to move away and re-ignite his career but chose to train on his own at our club while collecting a pay package worth much more than his ability. He also kept the number 4 shirt the whole time and made sure we had less money to spend on wages.

In the end I'll remember him as someone who chose money over actually having a great career. Let's not paint him as hero/legend.
Posts like this remind of what’s wrong with humanity. Well done

Idxomer

He had a lot of talent but the fact is he never matured as a defender. The last notable thing he had done as a United player is conceding a penalty for a clumsy tackle on Hazard in the FA Cup final.

golden_blunder

Staff
He had a lot of talent but the fact is he never matured as a defender. The last notable thing he had done as a United player is conceding a penalty for a clumsy tackle on Hazard in the FA Cup final.
Nobody else has ever done a clumsy tackle against one of the top attackers in the game at that time?

jem

Good riddance.

He spent years stealing a living at United, had several chances to move away and re-ignite his career but chose to train on his own at our club while collecting a pay package worth much more than his ability. He also kept the number 4 shirt the whole time and made sure we had less money to spend on wages.

In the end I'll remember him as someone who chose money over actually having a great career. Let's not paint him as hero/legend.
It's a strange and unsettling experience hating someone you don't even know.

Brophs

The One and Only
My dad’s favourite joke on the increasingly rare occasions Phil Jones is mentioned is to call him Jill Phones. For that reason alone, I can only see the positives in this.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Over the top send off for a player who was very unlucky with injuries but overall hasn't contributed anything of note to the club in years. He was also exceptionally well paid over all those years. Best of luck in whatever he does next but glad a big salary is off the wage bill.

arnoldS

Shamefull comments from a few guys. It's not his fault his body is made of glass and it's certainly not his fault that the management gave him new contracts. Who in his right mind would say no?

Good player that always gave it all when fit even though in the last few years he hardly ever was fit. I wish him all the best in the future as he seems like a humble, good person.

Gavinb33

Never said it is his fault, did I? I said that the club's incompetency has cost millions. What his mental state is - neither you or I know. Miserable or not, he's become rich by virtually doing nothing. You guys are acting like he is homeless or something.
Look how many people who are rich commit suicide, mental health is not about money and he pretty much says what his mental health has been in his statement and it probably hasn't been great based on the words he used.

El Zoido

That contract was negotiated by Ed when Ole was only caretaker. The full extent of Ole's involvement in that decision was showing up to the photo op when the contract was signed because he was told to.
Now now, let’s not have facts get in the way of finding any excuse to hate on Ole.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I had such high expectations when he first signed. I argued with a Liverpool fan who 24 hours prior was labelling him a generational talent but was now just a clogger.

I used to like him at right back, he was just a chaotic player there that it was great to see

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There are more comments in here complaining about negative comments than there actually are negative comments. For the most part, posters are magnanimous towards Jones and realize his injury hell wasn't his fault, nor was the fact that we offered him the extension in 2019.

roseguy64

An above average to very good player who had the potential to be a great one. Ruined by injuries. Firstly by delaying his progression so he could never fully realise his potential. Secondly, by ruining his final years with the club where he was hardly fit for multiple seasons and potentially ending his career.

Hopefully he retires and transitions into something else. Wouldn't blame him though if he wanted to give it one final shot at a lower level.

roseguy64

Was never a bad player, and despite fans being twats there was never a point you thought he was truly unprofessional.

I don't blame him for signing a 5 year deal with no medical advice suggesting his career as a footballer was over. That's his profession and it was his right to accept an agreement put forward. We can disagree with the people who offered it to him of course, but I've nothing against Phil Jones.

Could've been so much more, but he'll always have a PL medal and that game against Spain for England.
At the time he signed the deal in Ole's half season he was still getting injured but there was definitely no thinking his career was threatened. That one in Ole's first full season though was a doozy.

That last contract was definitely too long, not that we should have offered him it, but can't blame him for agreeing to it. Still, shouldn't have been for as long as it was when we did.

SoCross

People work with those conditions on less than half of that a year.
Of course. But would you or the poster I quoted do the same? Doubt it.

Give Jones a break, he got injured playing for this club, for the fans. The way some of you are acting, it’s like he did all of this on purpose FFS.

delerium

Wish Jones all the best in the future. Maybe if the extent of his injuries was more known, the public wouldn't show such hatred at him, but no doubt it has been awful times trying to keep yourself mentally fit when fighting against major injuries and setbacks in recovery.

Some comments here are so over the top, but at least the club is showing more class than its supporters.

Red00012

Good riddance.

You’re an embarrassment

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Salud! United legend who out-survived Moyesey, Van Ghoul, Olé, Maureen, and Ralphs. May you rest in one piece for the rest of your days.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
The stick the guy gets its brutal, and really shows a lack of humanity in online conversations. The guy was a top class defender whose body ultimately failed him. His story isnt something to ridicule, it's fecking tragic. He does all the hard work to get to the top of his profession and then it all slips away because of injuries and the fact that while his mind was up to the task, his body just wasn't. Thats a damn shame for anyone. Yeah, he's been paid well. But that still doesn't change the fact that he put in the work to get to where he was and the life fecked him. Who here can't relate to that?

Should you ever read this, mate. Best of luck going forward.

Nori-

You’re an embarrassment
Why? Because I won’t blindly celebrate a player whose stolen a living for several years?

He’s had a lot of injures, no questioning that but he’s also had lots of opportunities to leave and kick start his career again. Instead he chose to collect a cheque every week for doing nothing. Any other area of society you would be stigmatised and encouraged to do better.

Instead, at United we thank you and give you a pat on the back and call you a great servant. We even let him do a commentary job a few weeks back WHILE still getting paid from us. Shameless!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Why? Because I won’t blindly celebrate a player whose stolen a living for several years?

He’s had a lot of injures, no questioning that but he’s also had lots of opportunities to leave and kick start his career again. Instead he chose to collect a cheque every week for doing nothing. Any other area of society you would be stigmatised and encouraged to do better.

Instead, at United we thank you and give you a pat on the back and call you a great servant. We even let him do a commentary job a few weeks back WHILE still getting paid from us. Shameless!
If I was you I'd give it up, you're on a loser with this

The Midnight Rambler

The stick the guy gets its brutal, and really shows a lack of humanity in online conversations. The guy was a top class defender whose body ultimately failed him. His story isnt something to ridicule, it's fecking tragic. He does all the hard work to get to the top of his profession and then it all slips away because of injuries and the fact that while his mind was up to the task, his body just wasn't. Thats a damn shame for anyone. Yeah, he's been paid well. But that still doesn't change the fact that he put in the work to get to where he was and the life fecked him. Who here can't relate to that?

Should you ever read this, mate. Best of luck going forward.
Agree with all that, great post.

For the folks arguing that he should have left, the obvious answer is why? And would you do the same in his position?

He’s working his backside off trying to get fit to do his job and has the best medical science at his disposal to help him. Why would he harm his chances by going to a lesser club… United were investing in him too and sometimes these things just don’t work out.

As for the money side. Who here knows the terms and conditions of his last contract? Nobody.
Good luck to him!

T_Model101

Looking back that game where he just randomly appeared, Brentford was it?
Was probably an incredible achievement for him to fight through the injuries and be fit enough to play

jimmyb2000

Only 6 years too late but at least he is defo going. Nothing against him personally but says a lot about how the club has been run the last 15 years that this absolute muppet has been here for over 10 years.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

What opportunities exactly? What clubs are lining up to take on a perennially injured player? There was the one to France a while back but other then that I can't recall anything.

Good luck with your own recovery and when you get back out onto that pitch, enjoy every second of it!
Cheers mate!

How has he he not shown ‘great desire for regular football’? Do you think he was throwing a sicky and didn’t want to play? What evidence have you got for that? The guy suffered from injuries. I bet as a professional footballer you are desperate to play.
It's been clear for a long time that he had no future here irrespective of injuries. A player who wanted to play regularly would have moved on to try and get a fresh start and cement themselves somewhere else.

miked99

my memory has failed me here but what happened to him after the Wolves game? He was sensational that game and didn’t play again after that?
You're right, that was his last appearance. Was on the bench a few times in the games after, but never came on and then vanished from view again. Seemed strange he never got another chance, he did well in that game and amazingly well considering his situation.

Edwards6

I recommend going on youtube and watching the 'under the cosh' episode with Malcolm Christie. You might learn to have some empathy with players having their career ruined by injuries

golden_blunder

Staff

Your post has a bit of a terrible attitude and dare I say your post is a bit twattish

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Only 6 years too late but at least he is defo going. Nothing against him personally but says a lot about how the club has been run the last 15 years that this absolute muppet has been here for over 10 years.
That's one of the worst posts I've read on here. Shameful. nothing against him personally but you call him a muppet in the same post?

Pathetic post.

He was a great player with a great attitude and very unfortunate.

golden_blunder

Staff
You're right, that was his last appearance. Was on the bench a few times in the games after, but never came on and then vanished from view again. Seemed strange he never got another chance, he did well in that game and amazingly well considering his situation.
He was playing with no shock absorber between the bones. I daresay his knee gave up

dubplate warrior

Quality control
I recommend going on youtube and watching the 'under the cosh' episode with Malcolm Christie. You might learn to have some empathy with players having their career ruined by injuries
There's kids out there who are about to get their first professional contract and a knee injury which ends their career and dreams. I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy whose done the square root of feck all for a 110k a week? My heart bleeds.

golden_blunder

Staff
Thank god some of you weren’t around for Robbo, you’d have shipped him off to the Travellers yard for stealing a living