Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

The story is that he wasn't happy with how the FAI, who he has little time for, handled the whole thing.

Whatever went on appears to have re-affirmed the negative opinion he had of them and he's decided he can't work with them as per his earlier quote that he never had the urge to work with the FAI, not even 1%.

It could still be a face-saving exercise of course but does it make sense to throw the FAI under the bus rather than Kenny?
Tabloid revelations are part of the job. Every club and national manager will face it at some point during their reign.

Just seems like a very flakey excuse. The FAI didn't do much wrong as far as I can see. They launched an investigation based on a tabloid revelation then decided it was a non-story. Seems to be pretty standard protocol the way they dealt with it. I don't see how Duff would have felt undermined. Seems to be more to this story than meets the eye but maybe not.

Withnail

Tabloid revelations are part of the job. Every club and national manager will face it at some point during their reign.

Just seems like a very flakey excuse. The FAI didn't do much wrong as far as I can see. They launched an investigation based on a tabloid revelation then decided it was a non-story. Seems to be pretty standard protocol the way they dealt with it. I don't see how Duff would have felt undermined. Seems to be more to this story than meets the eye but maybe not.
From the outside all seems standard but we don't know how they handled it internally or what was said in their discussions.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There was also the matter of the story being deliberately leaked by someone within the FAI. If you're going in with pre-existing antipathy towards the FAI then that sort of politicking against the manager might well piss you off.

lsd

The Oracle
The story is that he wasn't happy with how the FAI, who he has little time for, handled the whole thing.

Whatever went on appears to have re-affirmed the negative opinion he had of them and he's decided he can't work with them as per his earlier quote that he never had the urge to work with the FAI, not even 1%.

It could still be a face-saving exercise of course but does it make sense to throw the FAI under the bus rather than Kenny?

Maybe he doesn't want to work with the guy who gave the story to the media. Duff has nothing to prove and doesn't need the job so if he feels there are people he can't trust and who he doesn't want to be around then he has the luxury of being able to walk away

Champagne Football

Lee Carsley and John O'Shea mentioned as posdible Duff replacements by The Independent. Would love to see Carsley brought into the fold but can't see it happening. He has a really top track record now in youth football. Would be an innovative appointment.

Champagne Football

I think it was obvious this is what happened. I personally think Duff was naive. He was just trying to do what was best to use whatever motivational techniques he could think of, but I think he was naive to think it would not cause offense to one or two players/backroom team.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40206722.html
Damien Duff and Alan Kelly clashed over Stephen Kenny speech

Withnail

I think it was obvious this is what happened. I personally think Duff was naive. He was just trying to do what was best to use whatever motivational techniques he could think of, but I think he was naive to think it would not cause offense to one or two players/backroom team.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40206722.html
Damien Duff and Alan Kelly clashed over Stephen Kenny speech
The other day it was that obvious Duff had lost faith in Kenny's ability.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
It seems that Ryan Johansson of Bayern Munich, currently on loan to Sevilla, is still eligible to play for Ireland.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Do you have a link? Last we all heard was that he declared for Sweden.
I came across this interview, recorded a couple of days ago, on another forum.

FIFA's new eligibility rules, coupled with the fact (from the video at least) that he hasn't formally switched to Sweden, make him eligible to play for Ireland.

The relevant part starts at 8:25.

Last edited:

always_hoping

This game can also be used as a watching brief of Nikola Milenković a possible Man United centre back signing.

diarm

Coleman forgot who he was playing with there, trying that pass under pressure.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Aaron Connolly has a very punchable face

Status
Not open for further replies.