Offseason Checklist

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
We have a lot of stuff to take care of this summer. There was a post in a different thread with a list of things we need to sort out but I can't find it so figured it might be helpful to put it in a new thread so we can easily look back and see what has been dealt with and what hasn't.

1. Pogba- last year of his contract. Must sign or sell.

2. Lingard- do we sell or bring him back?

3. Gk situation- I don't think we should have both de gea and Henderson taking up the wages they are. Selling one is probably the move.

4. Deadwood situation- Jones, Pereira, Matic,Mata and maybe a couple others fall into this section.

5.New signings- Cdm, Cb, rw are the three most important positions to strengthen.

6. Oles contract- Also entering his last year. I would personally be ok with a one year extension but lets see what happens.

7. Youth products- what is the plan for the likes of Chong,TFM, pellestri, Elanga, Hannibal etc.

8. Dalot- sell or keep?

Red Rash

My opinion about what we should do with the mentioned situations:

1. Try and get him to sign a new contract if not then sell. I think he proved how important a player he can be for us but the reality is it's better to get 50-60 million now rather than lose him for free in a year. It will give us a chance to find a replacement otherwise give Donny more chances

2. I would sell Lingard. He has been great at West Ham but we need to remember how bad he was for us in the past year or two. It seems he is at the level he should be and wish him the best of luck.

3. Personally I would keep DDG. Henderson is good but still seems a bit shaky at times. He would also be easier to move on as the wages are not as high. De Gea could still have another 4 or 5 years at the top

4. I would keep Matic for one more year but the rest are free to leave

5. These are the areas we need to fix. Ideally we get Varane/Koundé, Rice/Bisoumma and Sancho. If we can only get two positions I would probably sacrifice Sancho as I think Greenwood and Amad can be good options on the right.

6. I would wait another year and make a decision. Ole is a loyal guy so I don't think he would leave it we offered a contract next summer. It's still a bit risky to offer a long term contract with question marks about him

7. I think the players ready to make the breakthrough are Amad and Hannibal. I think Shoretire may need another year in the under 23s. I would also probably loan out Elanga. I think Garner and Laird are interesting and would be tempted to bring them back to the squad as backup for our CM and cover for Wan Bisakka

8. Happy to keep as cover at RB for AWB as I think Williams needs to leave on loan. If not I would be happy to see Laird as backup

Ballache

Supports
Martial
1. Sell
2. Sell
3. I'm 50/50 on this. I agree that we should sell one but I'm not sure who.
4. Sell all of them
5. Rice, Sancho, CB, Trippier
6. I think Ole has reached his potential, but we will probably give him an extension.
7. Loan everyone and sell Chong.

Red_toad

Checklist = make up random threads about shite that’s already covered on numerous other threads. Yep the Caf will have that covered in many multitudes.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Checklist = make up random threads about shite that’s already covered on numerous other threads. Yep the Caf will have that covered in many multitudes.
If a mod feels its redundant, go ahead and delete or lock it no problem.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
With the transfer window closing in a week. Just a quick recap.

Points 1,2,3,4 and 8 are still unresolved

We got the signings and sorted out Oles contract. The youth kids have largely got loans.

Still an overall negative grade for the way we conduct business though unless things dramatically change over the last week.

M Bison

Supports
York City
The deadwood situation is absolutely true, but what's the answer? They're all on big money so near impossible to ship out unless on subsidised loans.

Sylar

The deadwood situation is absolutely true, but what's the answer? They're all on big money so near impossible to ship out unless on subsidised loans.
You gotta take a bit of a loss, no? For example, Romero. This is what was reported (from a quick search):

Everton were willing to take Romero on a season-long loan from United, covering the entirety of his £100,000-a-week wage packet and throwing in a £2m loan fee on top. United knocked back the offer, holding out for a one-off fee of £8m to take Romero, who is now in the final year of his contract at United, on a permanent basis.

So based on very simple equation, that we ended up paying him for an extra 52 weeks after this with him not playing, we ended up paying 5m in wages? So we could have saved on that and had 2m on top (thus 7m). Instead we wanted 8m, and ended up getting neither and making a loss?

We need to stop paying reserves / youth crazy money of course (especially for a good one month spell which is about 3-4 games). I think we gotta take a 'hit' on some of our players right now. I think we would have buyers for some of the players if we lowered our asking price, but long term it would be better for us as you save those wages and get some money in (even if its a small amount). you can then replace those played moved on with youth.