Oil Money in Football | New City expose

ash_86

Nothing can be hidden anymore , can it? Anyway, i don't think anyone is surprised.

MuFc_1992

You've "passed" FFP because it's a joke.

As for the other stuff, I'd be amazed if all PL clubs aren't up to dodgy shit financially and if doping isn't rife.
But those things coming out will completely destroy the parties involved, People didn't just say It was obvious when stuff about Lance Armstrong came out.

padr81

Supports
Man City
How does it change anything for you? FFP was a rule brought in to stop your owners from spending and it was brought in after the takeover to stop you from whatever you were already doing. Most City fans I know think FFP shouldn't exist in the first place.
It shouldn't but rules are rules, the club got a pass from me in 2014 because Uefa sprung it on them after telling them there could be acceptable losses and their were huge disagreements on numbers which almost ended up in us taking UEFA to court. I stood by the club and still do.

But... its been 4 years since then and if it's proven we are blatantly bribing officials, I want those responsible held accountable.

Yes FFP is a farce but I want to win by the rules or die trying. I've defended the club in all FFP conversations on here for 3 years, and I will continue to do so until proven wrong, but... if we are corrupt at boardroom level and the allegations are true, then I will call cheating for what it is. I want that out of my club and we'll deal with the ramifications.

MuFc_1992

If you want more than a couple of clubs capable of winning, you'd be against Oil Money.
Also, there would be some sort of organic growth such as Leicester being able to get into top 4 after winning the title instead of being unable to compete for those spots with oil clubs.

MuFc_1992

It shouldn't but rules are rules, the club got a pass from me in 2014 because Uefa sprung it on them after telling them there could be acceptable losses and their were huge disagreements on numbers which almost ended up in us taking UEFA to court. I stood by the club and still do.

But... its been 4 years since then and if it's proven we are blatantly bribing officials, I want those responsible held accountable.
Yes FFP is a farce but I want to win by the rules or die trying. I've defended the club in all FFP conversations on here for 3 years, and I will continue to do so until proven wrong, but... if we are corrupt at boardroom level and the allegations are true, then I will call cheating for what it is. I want that out of my club and we'll deal with the ramifications.
Yeah it makes some sense but FFP as a room has so much wiggle room that it's hard to distinguish what's cheating and what's not.

Greck

So, twenty two twenty two Man Utd?

If proven what's likely to happen? I know what should happen and honestly, I have expected this day for a very long time.
Lol no.They aren't getting stripped of previous titles

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah it makes some sense but FFP as a room has so much wiggle room that it's hard to distinguish what's cheating and what's not.
100% and this is what most my 4352 (soon to be 4353 posts) have been about. If there is a disagreement on money I'll side with City obviously, but if the Sheikh was on the phone to Sarkozy saying "hey, put some pressure on Platini" then I draw the line at that.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn't that just result on owners like Glazers taking all the money out as dividends.
Would depend on the limits. May as well mandate majority fan ownership like in the Bundesliga at the same time. UEFA and the PL have no interest in a real level playing field financially. Fans want to watch the traditional big clubs, that is where the big TV money comes from.

EyeInTheSky

Have you actually read the article?

In January 2014, UEFA monitors sent auditors from PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) to Manchester. The result was a disaster. Fully 84 percent of "other commercial income" originated from sponsors from Abu Dhabi.:lol: According to the report, the club had hidden 35 million euros in costs from UEFA in its annual statement of accounts.

Manchester City reacted reflexively to the pressure with pressure of its own. The club put its lawyers on war footing, and almost all of its responses to UEFA reflected that aggression. "The PwC Report is seriously flawed in that it contains numerous erroneous interpretations of the Regulations, false assumptions of fact, errors of law and erroneous conclusions," read the reply. The lawyers demanded that the PwC auditors revise or delete large sections of their report. PwC refused, which further enraged the Manchester City attorneys.

In mid-March, Manchester City CEO Ferran Soriano carried out negotiations with Infantino related to the Financial Fair Play rule and threatened to challenge the Financial Fair Play rules in European Union courts. In an internal memorandum, the club's attorneys noted that if a "sensible settlement" was not reached with the Investigatory Chamber, Manchester City would "have no choice but to fight U (meaning UEFA) on all legal fronts." The club, they suggested, was expecting "a warning, but no further action."

Yet the evidence did not appear to be in Manchester City's favor. The marketing experts from Octagon, who had already issued a disastrous report card on Paris Saint-Germain at the behest of the FFP monitors, found that three of the four sponsoring contracts that Manchester City had signed with companies from Abu Dhabi were "significantly overvalued." They added that the deals, which had brought in 50 million euros in revenues, were up to 80 percent higher than their actual market value. Following an additional visit to Manchester, the PwC auditors determined that two Man City sponsors were "related parties." The same situation as with Paris Saint-Germain.

But by then, Infantino was already in the process of trying to outmaneuver the Investigatory Chamber. Together with CEO Soriano, he set up a meeting in early April between two lawyers, one representing Manchester City, the other UEFA. The two attorneys reached an agreement that the club would make a proposal for an amicable solution. It was a bit like a bank robber proposing an appropriate sentence to the prosecutor.
Yes, but behind closed doors with no sentence and license to continue robbing at will.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't particularly think oil money is all bad. If they don't invest in football clubs they are going to invest them in yachts, rare art or some other stuff rich people buy. At least with this we get to see some good product out there for our entertainment, not to mention the community around the clubs benefit from match day spending, improved facilities for developing footballers etc.

Throwing money at everything doesn't necessarily produce a good end product, like we've ourselves experienced without any oil money. These people have also hired well and done some really smart business.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I imagine the genuine threat of a European Super League was an ultimatum from the organic superclubs - that UEFA either stops the Arab vanity projects from destroying the sport with their vulgarity, or lose the prestige of having the genuine elite participating in their lucrative competitions. This selectively-timed leak could be used as a catalyst to finally act.

To put it into context, Real Madrid’s starting 11 that won the Champions League last season cost circa £250m; the amount spent by City on defenders and goalkeepers since 2016 easily eclipses that, so any dubious ‘success’ is ultimately an inevitability rather than an achievement.
Between Bale, Ronaldo and Benzema they almost cover those 250M. :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's colossal news really but fans will just ignore it. It'll be football's Panama papers. "Heads will roll" for a day or two and then "Whatever, football's on."

City are a grubby little front though. You can't call them a club, even a project is too kind. Disgusting shower of cnuts.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It was blatant to anyone with a brain cell that City had a doped up sponsors list. Only unsurprisingly the City fans were denying it.

Johan07

Wouldn't that just result on owners like Glazers taking all the money out as dividends.
Yeah, it would. Hate on the Glazers all that you want but they have been really silent on this issue and havent been afraid to inflate our wage bill to the largest or nxt largest in the PL. If they were the leeches many consider them to be, we would se them pushing for a wage cap.
But that would also mean a more even playing field which might long-term hurt United.
That said; this is far from an easy subject.
We should all start by getting rid of this narrative that the transfer fees spent by teams like PSG and City is money spent/expenditure. Its really not, its an investment and as long as the market does not nosedive its not a cost to invest in a player (if he is not old) and not something that should affect FFP-rules. The problem with what teams like PSG and City, and even Barca have done by inflating the transfer market is that it will kickback on all clubs wage bills. Their own not at the least.
This is why FFP should have been applied in 2015/16. Its actually not a bad idea; FFP is IMO. What is happening now is only the result of UEFA being corrupt and not sanctioning City and PSG when they had a rule system in place to do exactly that. And now we are in a situation where it is probably to late to do something about it. Sadly.

MuFc_1992

Would depend on the limits. May as well mandate majority fan ownership like in the Bundesliga at the same time. UEFA and the PL have no interest in a real level playing field financially. Fans want to watch the traditional big clubs, that is where the big TV money comes from.
You cannot just mandate a majority fan ownership. Are you proposing that UEFA take away billions worth of assets from owners and just give it to the fans.

tomaldinho1

I don't particularly think oil money is all bad. If they don't invest in football clubs they are going to invest them in yachts, rare art or some other stuff rich people buy. At least with this we get to see some good product out there for our entertainment, not to mention the community around the clubs benefit from match day spending, improved facilities for developing footballers etc.

Throwing money at everything doesn't necessarily produce a good end product, like we've ourselves experienced without any oil money. These people have also hired well and done some really smart business.
As rational as that is, it's sad we've got the point where it's become a case of 'if they've got them money, let them spend it'. I don't care if the money comes from oil or selling lemonade but how it is earned is the issue here - and when your owners are up to their neck in human rights issues it's not good.

I actually felt a bit sorry for Guardiola when he tried to talk about Catalan 'human rights' earlier this year and then (rightly so) got a tidal wave of shit for being employed and paid handsomely with 'dirty' money. It was like he forgot he works for a sovereign state.

Johan07

You cannot just mandate a majority fan ownership. Are you proposing that UEFA take away billions worth of assets from owners and just give it to the fans.
No, of course one can´t. Thats a really naive suggestion to put it nicely. This fan-owned idea is more of a beautiful dream than anything else. It does not work. It has crippled Swedish football financially for example. And to take another bigger club as an example; Barcelona is defaulting on their own club-rules by having a wage bill that pretty much equals their turnover. To the extent that they and La Liga wants to go and play games in the USA. It is not healthy that either. The FFP was/is not a bad idea, but now its fecked because UEFA was to scared to implement it. It will be difficult to remedy this situation now.

JohnnyKills

Financial "fair play" was a terrible idea in the first place. It's just designed to entrench the current top teams. So easy to circumvent, overly complicated and unfair in nearly every way.

If you want real fair play introduce a team salary cap / transfer spend limit.
Very hard to do unless everyone is on the same page. Only really works in one-country sports like baseball.

Bottom line is journalists don't care enough about City to push this, and the FA's actions are completely determined by the media.

Hopefully those moronic pundits stop saying how great City have been for football. But, sadly, they probably won't.

JohnnyKills

As rational as that is, it's sad we've got the point where it's become a case of 'if they've got them money, let them spend it'. I don't care if the money comes from oil or selling lemonade but how it is earned is the issue here - and when your owners are up to their neck in human rights issues it's not good.

I actually felt a bit sorry for Guardiola when he tried to talk about Catalan 'human rights' earlier this year and then (rightly so) got a tidal wave of shit for being employed and paid handsomely with 'dirty' money. It was like he forgot he works for a sovereign state.

Why did you feel sorry for him then?

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Did anyone genuinely believe that this wasn't going on, and that City and PSG suddenly became commercially attractive to the extent that they were rivalling the few biggest clubs in the world, despite having a mere fraction of the following?

And, worse yet, does anyone think that this will actually have any ramifications beyond a potential symbolic hand slap? Absolutely nothing will come of this. Money talks, in football as much as anywhere, and the people in positions to actually do anything are happy to look the other way, as long as their pockets are sufficiently lined.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Dr Fuentes.
And Dr fecking Cugat.

Spanish-affiliated football has been filthy for a decade, hence their sudden collective success at international and club level. It’s not even just the big 3 - Sevilla monopolising the Europa League with mediocre players who flopped elsewhere is a glaring point of reference. Plus there’s Messi’s reluctantance to leave his legacy-protecting dope haven.

Very hard to do unless everyone is on the same page. Only really works in one-country sports like baseball.

Bottom line is journalists don't care enough about City to push this, and the FA's actions are completely determined by the media.

Hopefully those moronic pundits stop saying how great City have been for football. But, sadly, they probably won't.
Indeed, it’s neuseating witnessing pundits pur while reeling off City’s ‘unprecedented’ records, failing to contextualise that no other team has ever had an £850m squad that facilitated those records either.

Last edited:

AP88

Supports
Man City
Wow so you're telling me Real Madrid's CL winning starting XI was about £166m cheaper than the team fielded by the current 8th best team in Premier League fielded vs Juve.
I think you'll also find City were part of the group in the super league talks.. interesting way to stop Arab vanity projects.
The Super League would be governed by Bayern, Juve and Real hierarchies, who’d have complete jurisdiction to handicap the Arab clubs in the way they’ve been lobbying UEFA to.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Why do you speak about PSG? PSG is mainly Gas money so this is not the right thread to say anything about PSG. Sorry.

Best regards,

padr81

Supports
Man City
The Super League would be governed by Bayern, Juve and Real hierarchies, who’d have complete jurisdiction to handicap the Arab clubs in the way they’ve been lobbying UEFA to.
It would be governed by the 11 founding clubs according to the article of which both City and PSG are "members".

arthurka

Some really scary info in there. Seems that FIFA has some more cleaning to do. UEFA can do one with them. Bribing surely wont go unpunished?

WensleyMU

Lol no.They aren't getting stripped of previous titles
I know they won't but I would like to see them not only stripped of them, but relegated out of the Premier League and Football League.

Though I could be persuaded to allow them the chance to keep their 2014 title ;)

Trizy

I used get excited by this kinda news thinking and hoping they'd leave that scum cheat club back into the lower leagues where they belong but as we've learned before; absolutely nothing will be done.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Reading into it a bit more found this little gem:

"There were many good reasons for FFP's introduction. One of the most persuasive was the need to protect the European club tournaments from the vast amounts of money flooding into the football market as oligarchs from Russia, billionaires from the United States and sheikhs from the Arab world invested in clubs across the continent. Tradition-rich clubs that didn't want to sell no longer stood much of a chance against the nouveau riche and their financial doping."

Pretty sure none of that is why FFP was introduced according to those who implemented it, though the behind the scenes reason all fans of the Tradition-rich clubs wouldn't admit too. So its not biased at all.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Some really scary info in there. Seems that FIFA has some more cleaning to do. UEFA can do one with them. Bribing surely wont go unpunished?
Proving it is where the problem begins and swiftly ends. If any such proof existed, beyond that of mere suspicion, the guilty parties would have been brought to justice already.

There is simply not enough evidence to convict, unfortunately.

arthurka

Proving it is where the problem begins and swiftly ends. If any such proof existed, beyond that of mere suspicion, the guilty parties would have been brought to justice already.

There is simply not enough evidence to convict, unfortunately.
I guess you might be right there

WensleyMU

If we want something to be done about it, we cannot expect Uefa or FIFA to be the ones who do it. It would require the club's to do so, with support from governments and the EU.

The chances are that Uefa and FIFA are likely to be involved in the corruption. It would be like expeftiex Russia to investigate it's own doping or the Saudis to investigate their own murder of a journalist. There's a term for it but it escapes me just now... Kangaroo Court?

The thing is, how clean are the other clubs? Are they clean enough to want independent investigation of footballs affairs? I'm not convinced. I would like to think United were clean but I would not be shocked if we were up to no good.