Oil Money in Football | New City expose

Josep Dowling

It's investment in the club by Qatar and it is justified by the notion of "nation branding". What does that mean? It serves to build the image of the country, make it known as a diplomatic and business partner or potential touristic destination and provide a communication platform.

Concretely it shows their reliability and determination when when leading project, that may make the difference for obtaining a contract. It's one of their ways to diversify their economy for when the gas reserves run out.
It also helps them to get known to the world for what they are (good and bad sides) enough to keep their independance and discredit potential propaganda from Saudi Arabia looking for a cheap excuse to invade them to bring them to submission or to turn them into another Yemen (which is a real risk).

Finally contrary to, say, a lone shirt sponsorship, the investment in PSG grants increased visibility through thousands of press articles and hours of TV time highlighting the role of Qatar in PSG's success every year. That is definitely worth many millions.
Worth many millions more than any other club can achieve though sponsorship? You sound like the PR team of PSG.

Fact is the sponsorship is being used as a way to pump more money into the club. If you can’t see that than you’re just in denial.

Denis' cuff

Platini still involved in skullduggery after his involvement with Blatter. They carry on with their corrupt ways with impunity. What happened to Blatter btw? Thought the yanks were going to make sure he was put away for a long, long time and they’d throw away the key.

MDFC Manager

FFP should be chucked out all together and all clubs in UEFA competitions should only be allowed to spend, say, €100m a year on wages and another €100m on transfers net. The wealth of the club and the sources of their income shouldn’t come into it.
That'll also be circumvented as easily as ffp was.

Needham

The very words Football Fair Play sound like some tokenistic wishy washy tacked on semi-regulation. And fining a filthy rich team is about as effective as forcing a paedophile to hand over part of his hard drive.

tedketterman

Unfortunately nothing will happen as a result of this. Football is only going to get worse.

Lmarco

Imagine being as pig-headed as you :lol:

Here are some numbers, the jump in commercial revenue from 2009 to 2015:

Man United - 66m to 196m

Man City - 18m to 175m

Liverpool - 60m to 116m

Chelsea - 50m to 108m

Arsenal - 48m to 103m

For comparison some other top clubs in Europe's commercial revenue in 2015: Barcelona £186m, Real Madrid £188m, Bayern Munich £212m, PSG £226m

Nothing dodgy here at all folks, Man City's revenue is on par with behemoths like Barcelona, Bayern, Madrid and United in space of 6 years on top of 2 title wins. PSG are actually ahead of these giants because of 3 title wins on the trot :lol:

I really question sanity of some who genuinely believe all these sponsorships are a result of organic growth.

One can clearly view part of the QTA contract as far excessive and unrealistic but the context surrounding PSG cannot be forgotten.

This was a club from the most visited city in the world which had no viable commercial/marketing strategy linked to this very status and attractivity. The stadium atmosphere was incredible to live (really, far far far away from the dull ENglish stadiums) but somehow agressive with a few violence issues and a monolothic fanbase that needed to evolve to be able to welcome a far more diverse public. PSG has done a lot on the commercial and branding side, nationally and globally which also explains why they now top 100M in ticketing revenues in an improved stadium with more security and a better fan experience. Same goes with commercial revenues, you're not the same brand when you've become a random French team with players like Hoarau, Rothen, Bourillon and so on, and when you get players like Ibrahimovic, Beckham, Pastore, Cavani, Neymar, M'Bappé, Alves, Buffon...

I'm also pretty sure that PSG will drop most of their Qatari / middle east sponsors and without trouble. Emirates currently pays 25/30Me per year for the shirt, PSG are looking for a new sponsor for at least 60Me. Nike contract comes to an end too and PSG will get far more than the current 20Me per year, they already have done a great coup by tying an exclusive sponsorship with Jordan for 3 years that still allows them to add another brand, presumably keep Nike with a huge yearly increase. They are slowly coming into Asia and signed with Desports agency for 20Me per year with possible extra bonuses.

The weird thing was actually that Paris had a very low financial valuation and commercial capacity until more recent years. No one is to say that they can cut the gap from Real or Man Utd in 6 months but they have a lot of traction which is not a surprise. Full stadium capacity, French TV rights finally exploding, lot of commercial/branding work, global stars endorsing the PSG brand even if among others, or at least showing publicly at the stadium or with the shirt (Steph Curry, Lebron James, Gary Payton, Jimmy Butler, Ronaldo, Justin Timberlake, Rihana, Beyonce, Jay Z, Car Lewis, Russell Wilsson, Julia Roberts, Kendal Jenner and Gigi Hadid, Nadal, Di Caprio, Michael Jordan and so on), overseas tournaments, etc. They are also building a new training centre which will help their bookings and they wand to improve and rebuild partly their stadium which will boost revenues again. I think having to drop Qatar revenue will be one of the best things for them in the future, they might suffer one year or two, they will sell again mostly and buy scarcely... but in a few years, it will be a diferent financial story. Like Man Utd who is now barely the shadow of its former football self (shit play, no results, one Europea League to ease the sufferings), when you become a global entertainment brand no matter the results or the facts, you enter a new financial world of growth and hyper revenues that will come for PSG too.

Paris is what it is a city, nothing can prevent PSG from becoming such commercially if they act wisely to grow their baseline without Qatar sponsorship or at least very little.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Good, we have as strong Parisian presence here :cool:

Treble

City's lawyer should be fired, that comment is disgraceful.

AP88

Supports
Man City
This combined with the horrendous number of deaths of workers building the stadia in Qatar for the World Cup simply underlined that Arab Sharia states should never have been allowed anywhere near football in the first place.

City and PSG should compete in an Arabian super league where their vulgarity doesn’t tarnish the traditions of our sport here.

Reddy Rederson

I still don't see any credible allegation of bribery. I might be a little thick.
Credible or undoubtedable? We all knew OJ did it. We knew that fifa were about as corrupt as you can get without wearing a sign saying so, yet it took years before anything was done. People even knew what Savile was up to, but nothing happened until after he was dead. There’s a smoking gun, and then there the smell of gunpowder. I’d say we are in smelling the gunpowder territory rather than bang to rights caught red handed with the gun in hand.

I wouldn’t begrudge any city or PSG fan wanting to believe in their club. It’s your club and I don’t blame you at all for wanting that smoking gun. But that’s what investigations are for.

cheeky_backheel

For several years, big clubs have been using their influence to corner more and more of the CL money to cement there hegemony.

I have no problem if some rich guys wants to inject their personal money into the sport - it probably the only way to compete against the big clubs anyways.

AP88

Supports
Man City
For several years, big clubs have been using their influence to corner more and more of the CL money to cement there hegemony.

I have no problem if some rich guys wants to inject their personal money into the sport - it probably the only way to compete against the big clubs anyways.
Nonsense - clubs like Atletico, Liverpool, Dortmund and Juve have been able to reach Champions League finals utilising the resources they’ve generated organically, while domestically the likes of Spurs and Leicester have cracked the top 4 without selling their soul to oil tyrants. What the oil clubs do is reduce their chances of success by artificially leapfrogging their admirable projects with inifinite spending power.

Monaco knocked City out of the Champions League, and pipped PSG to the Ligue 1 title in 2017...but then saw their team pillaged by the very same plastic clubs, losing Mbappe, Bernardo and Mendy to them that summer.

Their vulgar ‘if you can’t beat them, buy them’ policy is not something that should be accommodated in football, ultimately to avoid domestic leagues becoming a one-camel race.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Credible or undoubtedable? We all knew OJ did it. We knew that fifa were about as corrupt as you can get without wearing a sign saying so, yet it took years before anything was done. People even knew what Savile was up to, but nothing happened until after he was dead. There’s a smoking gun, and then there the smell of gunpowder. I’d say we are in smelling the gunpowder territory rather than bang to rights caught red handed with the gun in hand.

I wouldn’t begrudge any city or PSG fan wanting to believe in their club. It’s your club and I don’t blame you at all for wanting that smoking gun. But that’s what investigations are for.
It's just that people present the latest football leaks as huge bribery scandals when there isn't any form of bribery mentioned in those articles.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you want to take the moral high ground you have to get your facts straight.

cheeky_backheel

Nonsense - clubs like Atletico, Liverpool, Dortmund and Juve have been able to reach Champions League finals utilising the resources they’ve generated organically, while domestically the likes of Spurs and Leicester have cracked the top 4 without selling their soul to oil tyrants. What the oil clubs do is reduce their chances of success by artificially leapfrogging their admirable projects with inifinite spending power.
You will always have, particularly in tournaments where luck of the draw is more influential, the occasional cinderella (of which Juve is not one) evidence by the fact that none of the Cinderellas has sustained their success. These are simply exceptions and not evidence of a fact. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
- Madrid and Barcelona have won 13 of the last 14 la liga titles
- Liverpool and Spurs are yet to win a PL title
- Dortmund are yet to win the bundesliga in 6 years (all won by Bayern)
- and Juve have won the last 7 serie A titles
This is not competing imo.

Chelsea and City had not won titles until being bought by rich owners, but have since won a few since then - that is competing. Prior to that, all except one title had been won by United or Arsenal. The addition of those rich owners made the league more competitive.
Monaco knocked City out of the Champions League, and pipped PSG to the Ligue 1 title in 2017...but then saw their team pillaged by the very same plastic clubs, losing Mbappe, Bernardo and Mendy to them that summer.
Pillaged? were they forced to sell? It was monaco's choice to sell thier players to PSG and City, after all those were not the only clubs interested in those players. But where was your outrage when Real madrid pillaged Spurs for Bale and Modric, United pillaged Leeds for Rio and Spurs for carrick and Berbatov, Juve pillaged Napoli for higuain, etc or is it only pillage when rich owners club buy players in a fair market?
Their vulgar ‘if you can’t beat them, buy them’ policy is not something that should be accommodated in football, ultimately to avoid domestic leagues becoming a one-camel race.
This is hilarious when the leagues like serie A and Bundesliga without oil owned clubs are the really one horse races.

There is nothing vulgar about it and i dont see the difference in raising £1 from each of 1 million fans and £1m form one rich fan. If we want to be fair then financial rewards should be based purely on the results on the pitch, not having half of the CL money go into some market pool and ten year coefficient ranking which only serve to reinforce the financial dominance of the incumbent big clubs.

People like you grumbling about rich owners is simply sour grapes imo. After all, it is not your money they are pissing away. At the end of the day, its still 22 players on the pitch.

Reddy Rederson

It's just that people present the latest football leaks as huge bribery scandals when there isn't any form of bribery mentioned in those articles.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you want to take the moral high ground you have to get your facts straight.
The Football Leaks investigation points the finger at PSG's five-year agreement with the Qatar Tourism Authority, valued at 1.075 billion euros, or 215 million euros a year.

That is despite the investigation claiming that "two independent auditors (Repucom and Octagon) assigned by UEFA valued the contract at...123,000 euros per year for one, and 2.8 million euros a year for the other".

Reddy Rederson

What’s hard to follow? They valued those two sponsors at vastly overly inflated prices. Two different auditors valued those deals a lot lower. So the accusation is that they got around ffp by artificially inflating sponsorship deals. A further question, if not mistaken, is were they advised to get around ffp by Infantino? There’s like 80 million pages of leaked emails, it’s all in there according to the journalists that went through them.

Giggsyking

We live in an ever-evolving world (!) and PSG is becoming a popular football club globally for diverse reasons: social media followers, famous players in key markets, shops opened...

PSG is getting a newly highly-remunerative contract with Nike for example.

That said, a part of these revenues are coming from Qatar. So, I can imagine the President Nasser Khelaifi calling his cousin or a friend of the Emir working for Qatar Tourism Authority and saying "Let's sign a sponsorship contract for 100 millions".
:lol:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What’s hard to follow? They valued those two sponsors at vastly overly inflated prices. Two different auditors valued those deals a lot lower. So the accusation is that they got around ffp by artificially inflating sponsorship deals. A further question, if not mistaken, is were they advised to get around ffp by Infantino? There’s like 80 million pages of leaked emails, it’s all in there according to the journalists that went through them.
It still has nothing mentioned about bribery.

JeffBoomTetris

Why does it feel like some posters wouldn't be talking about the oil money if City weren't top of the table. If that were the case, we'd hear how bad Guardiola is. Now, it's the other way around, and Guardiola is just reaping the benefits of a fat transfer budget...

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
There's no real news here, we all knew that the QTA contract was artifically inflated, i'm just reacting to the tweet posted in the previous pages talking about bribery. It's a far more serious allegation and so far i haven't seen anything proving that PSG or City bribed anyone.

cyberman

Why does it feel like some posters wouldn't be talking about the oil money if City weren't top of the table. If that were the case, we'd hear how bad Guardiola is. Now, it's the other way around, and Guardiola is just reaping the benefits of a fat transfer budget...
Well..if Pep failed with a budget that needed corruption to implement then...

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The magazine is working with thousands of documents related to the subject.
I do not think they will publish a specific document, where the bribe to Infantino and other is perfectly clear.
The published information of football leaks has been true, I do not know if always but many times.
The fiscal problems of Mendes and other players, Contracts of players, with information about what they earn or what they cost.
And now, the deal Cristiano/Mayorga.
The publication itself is demonstrating its credibility

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't give a toss honestly. The more big clubs the better. Makes for more diverse competition.

Fluctuation0161

It has just come out that "Manchester City’s owners allegedly injected €2.7bn into the club over the last 7 years through its shareholders & over-valued sponsorship contracts which infringe FFP regulations...". Don't you think that makes ist slightly easier to buy success for City (and Pep)?

Fluctuation0161

I don't give a toss honestly. The more big clubs the better. Makes for more diverse competition.
Like for Leicester who have slipped back down to mid table after winning the league a few years back?

Or Everton who were pushing for top 4/5 until City (and Chelsea) pushed them back down the league table?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Like for Leicester who have slipped back down to mid table after winning the league a few years back?

Or Everton who were pushing for top 4/5 until City (and Chelsea) pushed them back down the league table?
A freak upset like Leicester is amazing, but it's just that an upset. The gap between big and small will only get wider with time. I've accepted that, so for me the more big clubs on the top of the gap the better.

Ideally there would a more level playing field and Feyenoord would have a chance to win another European trophy, but it will never happen anyway.

OldSchoolManc

I am watching a documentary right now on about maid slaves imported into Saudi Arabia. It is a legal/ignored thing to do in that country.
Their passports are taken off them and they are ‘owned’ by their captors.
There are millions in this position throughout the Middle East.
This is now. 2018.
If the Saudis ever buy United, I’m out.
It’s on BBC2 now, until 11pm.
I’m appalled that the UK has anything to do with them.

Last edited:

Rajma

I am watching a documentary right now on about maid slaves imported into Saudi Arabia. It is a legal/ignored thing to do in that country.
Their passports are taken off them and they are ‘owned’ by their captors.
There are millions in this position throughout the Middle East.
This is now. 2018.
If the Saudis ever buy United, I’m out.
It’s on BBC2 now, until 11pm.
I’m appalled that the UK has anything to do with them.
Same here, United will be totally dead to me. People are self-serving cnuts so it should come as no surprise why countries chose to turn a blind on them, as cliche as it sounds money do rule the world, unfortunately.

Rajma

PSG are not becoming a popular club globally ffs:lol: I can bet 98% still only catch PSG games during the CL nights and that’s with star packed team, inculding Mbappe and Neymar.

OldSchoolManc

Same here, United will be totally dead to me. People are self-serving cnuts so it should come as no surprise why countries chose to turn a blind on them, as cliche as it sounds money do rule the world, unfortunately.
Good man!
As bad as the Glazers are, at least they aren’t involved in mass murder and slavery.
If the Glazers sell to the Saudis however, I will curse them and go and support Salford instead.

Trizy

What's funny about Monaco is the huge money signings (Falcao, Moutinho, James) didn't win anything. It was there youth and unknown signings that set Europe on fire for THAT season.