Ole and his new influx of coaches

pascell

According to Ole we have new coaches, does anyone know who they are, what role they'll have and what type of coaches they are? Ie defensive, throw in, attacking etc.

Here are his comments from last night...

THE OLD TRAFFORD ATMOSPHERE

"[It was] fantastic. Absolutely incredible. We have some new coaches coming in and they were asking this morning, ‘what do you reckon, how many fans - are we going to get 40, 50 [thousand]?’ No, I knew it would be close to full. No doubt about our fans, they are brilliant. They kept going and the atmosphere was brilliant."

captaincantona

According to Ole we have new coaches, does anyone know who they are, what role they'll have and what type of coaches they are? Ie defensive, throw in, attacking etc.

Here are his comments from last night...

THE OLD TRAFFORD ATMOSPHERE

"[It was] fantastic. Absolutely incredible. We have some new coaches coming in and they were asking this morning, ‘what do you reckon, how many fans - are we going to get 40, 50 [thousand]?’ No, I knew it would be close to full. No doubt about our fans, they are brilliant. They kept going and the atmosphere was brilliant."
I heard there are three...
- an attacking patterns of play coach...
- a left wing embroidery coach...
- and a crochet rondo coach.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Whoever they are, if they thought we’d only get 40k people at Old Trafford then fire them immediately.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Travis Binnion is the club’s new Under-18s lead coach, with Neil Ryan moving up to assist Neil Wood with the Under-23s. Colin Little will continue in his role as Under-18s assistant coach.
Newly appointed head of player development and coaching (U17-23), Justin Cochrane, will oversee the programme across the phase. He will work closely with Wood and Binnion to provide each player with experiences that will help them to play professional football at the highest level possible.
Mark Dempsey will lead the core coaching team across the Academy, working to educate and mentor the club’s world-class group of development coaches as well as establishing individualised plans to maximise player potential.

Binnion, who will also continue in his role as head of player development and coaching (U14-U16), was previously United’s Under-16s lead coach. He will continue to work with a large part of the group of players who will begin their scholarships this season.

Previously, Binnion was Academy manager at Sheffield United, where he worked with current United captain Harry Maguire, and a number of other now senior international players.

Along with Eric Ramsey, I'm assuming these are the 3 new coaches

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Well he said 'coming in' so they're due to start soon. Let's see what happens
He mentioned them in the context of the first team though. I doubt he'd be that bothered to mention them if they were for the youth team, who would be doing all their work at Carrington and not Old Trafford.
Hope restored, thanks

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Travis Binnion is the club’s new Under-18s lead coach, with Neil Ryan moving up to assist Neil Wood with the Under-23s. Colin Little will continue in his role as Under-18s assistant coach.
Newly appointed head of player development and coaching (U17-23), Justin Cochrane, will oversee the programme across the phase. He will work closely with Wood and Binnion to provide each player with experiences that will help them to play professional football at the highest level possible.
Mark Dempsey will lead the core coaching team across the Academy, working to educate and mentor the club’s world-class group of development coaches as well as establishing individualised plans to maximise player potential.

Binnion, who will also continue in his role as head of player development and coaching (U14-U16), was previously United’s Under-16s lead coach. He will continue to work with a large part of the group of players who will begin their scholarships this season.

Previously, Binnion was Academy manager at Sheffield United, where he worked with current United captain Harry Maguire, and a number of other now senior international players.

Alright then, who's starting the "What does Justin Cochrane do?" thread?

wolvored

This is great and all, but we need coaches for the first team definitely.

kkj25

Didn't these guys start ages ago. Cochrane was in June and Binnion was early August surely he wouldn't mention them now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

World class coaches need education and mentoring from Mark Dempsey ?

Looks good though.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Didn't these guys start ages ago. Cochrane was in June and Binnion was early August surely he wouldn't mention them now.
True. It's been 8 - 12 weeks or so he wouldn't mention them as 'coming in' if it were those guys.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
World class coaches need education and mentoring from Mark Dempsey ?

Looks good though.
Everyone needs a sounding board, world class or not. Different perspectives are always necessary.

RedDevilQuebecois

Couldn't care less about those guys. What we need are people to replace Carrick and McKenna; we're talking of people who are good enough to even survive the day when the manager steps down or gets sacked just like Brian Kidd managed to stay under 3 managers at City.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Couldn't care less about those guys. What we need are people to replace Carrick and McKenna; we're talking of people who are good enough to even survive the day when the manager steps down or gets sacked just like Brian Kidd managed to stay under 3 managers at City.
Honestly I don’t know how much that would help. It ultimately all boils down to the manager. If he’s not replacing his coaches then he must think they are helping him to realise his vision on the pitch to a satisfactory level. I doubt there are coaches who are so great that they can redefine the manager’s vision; if they were that good, they’d be head coaches at least.

I recall Mourinho brought in a highly rated assistant manager at Spurs to help him modernise his philosophy. Didn’t seem to help him.

dinostar77

So we aren't getting more coaches to cover up all of Oles failings as a manager?

Tactics coach ?
In game management coach?
Getting rid of deadwood coach?
Using all the players at your disposal properly coach?
How to keep a clean sheet coach?

UpWithRivers

Must be ex United players whoever they are - Who's left? Giggs, Ferdinand, Ince?

SAF is the GOAT

If it was a tactical coaches we would hear about them from the official website. They probably would announce them just like they did with Eric Ramsay.

Crustanoid

We need a life coach and a hypnotist to convince the likes of Jones, Martial and Lingard to feck off

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yes there are three of them. Michell Kayla, Miki Felana and Keira McKenzie. Dont trust Ole one bit.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
he’s talking about the fleet of new coaches to take players to the ground. the lease on the old ones had expired. a clear sign of his mental state when he thinks the team bus can ask him questions. no wonder we’re shit.

SAF is the GOAT

I wouldn't mind if Ole will bring back Rene Mulenstein.

In the Fergie era I think that Rene and Carlos were responsible on our tactics and attacking play.

Wouldn't surprise me at all with Ole if they were named Volvo and Scania.

Honestly I don’t know how much that would help. It ultimately all boils down to the manager. If he’s not replacing his coaches then he must think they are helping him to realise his vision on the pitch to a satisfactory level. I doubt there are coaches who are so great that they can redefine the manager’s vision; if they were that good, they’d be head coaches at least.

I recall Mourinho brought in a highly rated assistant manager at Spurs to help him modernise his philosophy. Didn’t seem to help him.
I don't know about that. Ferguson always openly said he wasn't a master tactician and he preferred to have coaches who were to help him. Kidd, Meulensteen, Phelan (at one time or another) were all in charge of a lot of the work done at the club and were credited with making a huge difference to our play.

As long as our assistants consist of an inexperienced Carrick, an unknown quantity in McKenna and a seemingly past it Mick Phelan, all inherited from another reign, we are in trouble. All of our rivals have far more established setup, with the majority of the assistants having been with their managers for decades.

Mourinho's downfall coincided with the loss of Rui Faria. He was sacked less than 6 months after that and has never been the same since.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Wouldn't surprise me at all with Ole if they were named Volvo and Scania.

I don't know about that. Ferguson always openly said he wasn't a master tactician and he preferred to have coaches who were to help him. Kidd, Meulensteen, Phelan (at one time or another) were all in charge of a lot of the work done at the club and were credited with making a huge difference to our play.

As long as our assistants consist of an inexperienced Carrick, an unknown quantity in McKenna and a seemingly past it Mick Phelan, all inherited from another reign, we are in trouble. All of our rivals have far more established setup, with the majority of the assistants having been with their managers for decades.

Mourinho's downfall coincided with the loss of Rui Faria. He was sacked less than 6 months after that and has never been the same since.
It’s a fair point and I thought about that too. But SAF was exceptional in so many ways, and I just don’t think it’s a good idea to keep validating what Ole does now by comparing with what SAF had done a decade ago. And SAF actively sought to compensate for this supposed weakness by bolstering his coaching staff; Ole is still relying on the likes of Carrick and McKenna which doesn’t suggest that he sees them aa a component he needs to improve on. And in terms of coaching ability, who’s to say SAF wasn’t superior as well…

The reality is that now, Ole has to compete directly against at least three other managers who are themselves super coaches. What are the chances that he manages to hire someone good enough to match them to work under him?

I don’t know how much of Mourinho’s downfall was due to the departure of Faria. He still followed the same pattern that he had followed even with Faria around.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
They already survived under Jose, so who's to say they can't outlast Ole.

It’s a fair point and I thought about that too. But SAF was exceptional in so many ways, and I just don’t think it’s a good idea to keep validating what Ole does now by comparing with what SAF had done a decade ago. And SAF actively sought to compensate for this supposed weakness by bolstering his coaching staff; Ole is still relying on the likes of Carrick and McKenna which doesn’t suggest that he sees them aa a component he needs to improve on. And in terms of coaching ability, who’s to say SAF wasn’t superior as well…

The reality is that now, Ole has to compete directly against at least three other managers who are themselves super coaches. What are the chances that he manages to hire someone good enough to match them to work under him?

I don’t know how much of Mourinho’s downfall was due to the departure of Faria. He still followed the same pattern that he had followed even with Faria around.
Klopp:
Lijnders - 20 year CV. 8 successful years at Porto, been at Liverpool 7 years.
Krawietz - 20 years with Klopp since his days at Mainz.

Pep:
Borrell - 25 year CV, started at Barcelona with Pep. Coaching in the PL for over 10 years at Liverpool and City.
Lillo - 40 year CV. New to City.
Vicens - New there, but before him it was Kidd who was there 12 years and before that helped us win everything there is to win.

Tuchel (who let's not forget was considered a poor manager until the last game of last season):
Michels - 20 years with Tuchel.
Low - 10 years experience, proved himself at Leipzig and moved on to join Tuchel at PSG.
Barry - the only random one. New coach and still involved with the national team.
Edwards - coaching at Chelsea since 2004.

Ole:
Carrick - 3 year CV. Won nothing.
McKenna - 6 year CV. Won nothing.
Phelan - won a lot 10 years ago. Failed and moved around jobs since then and was in the wilderness until we brought him back.

Other than Phelan, and we dont know how good he is anymore, we have very little experience or proven coaches in our setup. We also have the least experienced and proven manager of the four.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Klopp:
Lijnders - 20 year CV. 8 successful years at Porto, been at Liverpool 7 years.
Krawietz - 20 years with Klopp since his days at Mainz.

Pep:
Borrell - 25 year CV, started at Barcelona with Pep. Coaching in the PL for over 10 years at Liverpool and City.
Lillo - 40 year CV. New to City.
Vicens - New there, but before him it was Kidd who was there 12 years and before that helped us win everything there is to win.

Tuchel (who let's not forget was considered a poor manager until the last game of last season):
Michels - 20 years with Tuchel.
Low - 10 years experience, proved himself at Leipzig and moved on to join Tuchel at PSG.
Barry - the only random one. New coach and still involved with the national team.
Edwards - coaching at Chelsea since 2004.

Ole:
Carrick - 3 year CV. Won nothing.
McKenna - 6 year CV. Won nothing.
Phelan - won a lot 10 years ago. Failed and moved around jobs since then and was in the wilderness until we brought him back.

Other than Phelan, and we dont know how good he is anymore, we have very little experience or proven coaches in our setup. We also have the least experienced and proven manager of the four.
Thanks for the information. Interesting that some of these coaches have followed the same manager for 20 years.

Just to be clear, I’m not disagreeing with you that our coaching setup is vastly less experienced than those of our rivals. I’m just skeptical that hiring better coaches alone is sufficient to push us above our rivals, because a lot depends on the managers. Our rivals’ managers are great coaches themselves who have very defined football philosophies. (And I think Tuchel had always been highly rated, despite losing his way slightly at the circus that is PSG.)

Thanks for the information. Interesting that some of these coaches have followed the same manager for 20 years.

Just to be clear, I’m not disagreeing with you that our coaching setup is vastly less experienced than those of our rivals. I’m just skeptical that hiring better coaches alone is sufficient to push us above our rivals, because a lot depends on the managers. Our rivals’ managers are great coaches themselves who have very defined football philosophies. (And I think Tuchel had always been highly rated, despite losing his way slightly at the circus that is PSG.)
I don't know if it is enough or not, but i'm pretty certain an inexperienced manager coupled with inexperienced coaches is not the best way to go about things.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'm starting to hold my breath, wish me luck. Mark Dempsey will finally bring us into the 21st century.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
:lol:

Spoken in ignorance. I really can't be arsed to explain why Kidd 'survived'

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We need a life coach and a hypnotist to convince the likes of Jones, Martial and Lingard to feck off
Good idea, we could send him/her around to fans as well, starting with you as a trial candidate :)