Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

soapythecat

We haven’t played well consistently for a long time. He’s bought a few players but the squad is hugely unbalanced - something which he has no answer to judging by the teams he puts out.
We can’t rely on VAR and penalties to bail us out every week as we get out played more often than not.
He will be gone by Christmas.

Asger

We haven’t played well consistently for a long time. He’s bought a few players but the squad is hugely unbalanced - something which he has no answer to judging by the teams he puts out.
We can’t rely on VAR and penalties to bail us out every week as we get out played more often than not.
He will be gone by Christmas.
We just need to wake up and stop overrating our players. De Gea, Bruno and Pogba are the only players that are good enough for a top team.

diawl_coch

We just need to wake up and stop overrating our players. De Gea, Bruno and Pogba are the only players that are good enough for a top team.
There's a lot of issues with playing Pogba and Fernandes in the same team.

4-3-3 or combinations of that is the way forward, but the midfield must have Fernandes and Matic, and Pogba gets the third spot because he's Pogba.

Lindelof doesn't justify his place. Personally I do not understand why we're selling Smalling, his athleticism would complement Maguire so much more.

soapythecat

I’d suggest most of them players have shown more quality that the players of Palace and Brighton whom played us off the park this last week. I’ve seen plenty from this squad to say the quality is there. Poorly trained and managed by the look of it.

Shimo

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rio-ferdinand-accuses-man-utd-22746384

Ferdinand provided a full analysis of where the centre-back pairing went wrong against Palace, and called on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to address the issue and sign someone.

"The centre-back area, it was slow and cumbersome," Ferdinand told BT Sport. "I can see so many different mistakes, areas where there can be improvements.

"This is an area I've been talking about for many months. It has not been addressed."

On the first goal, he highlighted Lindelof's "impossible" mistake.

"Once the ball gets to this position, here, as you're the centre-back, Lindelof, he can see Jeffrey Schlupp wanting to make that run," he added.

"He's [Lindelof] in the control. He's the man in advantage. There is no way the ball should be getting into that area and the striker should be getting on that ball first, it's impossible.

"But you will see, he does everything he shouldn't be doing."
Ignore the title in the article. To me this is exactly one of the main reasons I still question if Ole is the right man. The CB partnership is seriously flawed, everyone but, the most ardent Lindelof supporters can see it for what it is. It's one that is highly susceptible on the break, it's weak defensively in the air, neither of them compliment each other by covering the other's flaws, they are hardly on the same wave length even after a year together playing majority of the games - yet it's for some reason Ole has dug his heels that it's the right pairing.

Rio is not the only pundit / ex-pro - it's pretty much across the board that pairing has been questioned. Leaving out that for now we have a playing like Smalling who may fit better as a stop gap, when he had a chance to even start Baily after a good game, he persisted with Lindelof. Leaves me with no confidence that he is someone that will build a solid foundation for us to challenge at the top level.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
"Manchester United’s Carabao Cup win at Brighton & Hove Albion means we’ve now gone unbeaten in 16 away matches in all competitions – our longest such run since 1999."

Take that haters.

Matriac

"Manchester United’s Carabao Cup win at Brighton & Hove Albion means we’ve now gone unbeaten in 16 away matches in all competitions – our longest such run since 1999."

Take that haters.

SAF regen!

Foxbatt

Take that haters.
the problem is that we get beaten at home. When we draw in a league game we drop two points too.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
the problem is that we get beaten at home. When we draw in a league game we drop two points too.
You expect OGS to be SAF 1999 within 18 months of inheriting a totally broken and disjointed club?

this is the whole problem with people who don’t get or appreciate what Ole is achieving.

Mickson

You expect OGS to be SAF 1999 within 18 months of inheriting a totally broken and disjointed club?

this is the whole problem with people who don’t get or appreciate what Ole is achieving.
What is he achieving?

On another note, where is his youth investment? The only one who played or was subbed on who can be considered to be youth was Brandon Williams, and that's mainly because he hasn't got another left-back. Wasn't he supposed to give youth a chance, build around youth? Ighalo, Lingard, James, Mata....

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
What is he achieving?

On another note, where is his youth investment? The only one who played or was subbed on who can be considered to be youth was Brandon Williams, and that's mainly because he hasn't got another left-back. Wasn't he supposed to give youth a chance, build around youth? Ighalo, Lingard, James, Mata....
And you conveniently ignore Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Scott, AwB?

Do you want 11 players u18 players to start every week?

Ibi Dreams

What is he achieving?

Williams, Dalot, Henderson, James, McTominay and Van de Beek are all 23 or younger. Literally half the team was young players

CG1010

Imagine being the manager who brings Greenwood to the prominence, has turned around Martial, introduced Williams, and others, and then fans gunning for him to not develop youth. That's literally the last valid criticism against him

Mickson

And you conveniently ignore Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Scott, AwB?

Do you want 11 players u18 players to start every week?
So it's a youth investment playing Martial, 25 years of age, who has been at the club for five years? AWB, you're having a laugh This isn't a youth investment or playing academy graduates.

No, but I want a talented youth prospect like Mengi or Laird against fecking Luton Town. Is that too much to ask for? Even Pep Guardiola played more.

ayushreddevil9

Take that haters.
Well Sevilla was away too.
So it's a youth investment playing Martial, 25 years of age, who has been at the club for five years? AWB, you're having a laugh This isn't a youth investment or playing academy graduates.

No, but I want a talented youth prospect like Mengi or Laird against fecking Luton Town. Is that too much to ask for? Even Pep Guardiola played more.
So now you shift goalposts for academy graduates.

You do want u18s to play all games, I get it.

When the first team requires match fitness, the manager plays them but no according to you the academy graduates should be starting those crucial matches that help with fitness.

Mickson

Well Sevilla was away too.

So now you shift goalposts for academy graduates.

You do want u18s to play all games, I get it.

When the first team requires match fitness, the manager plays them but no according to you the academy graduates should be starting those crucial matches that help with fitness.
Did Lindelof need fitness yesterday? Did Maguire need fitness against Luton? Stop putting words in my mouth just because you don't have anything to come up with.

ayushreddevil9

Did Lindelof need fitness yesterday? Did Maguire need fitness against Luton? Stop putting words in my mouth just because you don't have anything to come up with.
There are 4-5 preseason games needed before every season and we had zero. We have only played 4th game of the season and clearly are still struggling. We also need to win games.

Mickson

There are 4-5 preseason games needed before every season and we had zero. We have only played 4th game of the season and clearly are still struggling. We also need to win games.
City hasn't played any games and he still has given plenty of debuts and plenty of minutes to fresh academy prospects. All I'm asking for is a Mengi against Luton, or a Laird yesterday. But I have said it for a long time, he's really not brave in these situations. He's very afraid of losing. Look at the team against a League One relegated team like Tranmere. And don't come with Greenwood, the boy is a generational talent and EVERY manager would've played him. And for all the times he chose Daniel James instead, including against Palace.

Sweet Square

Henderson, McTommay, Williams all United academy players who started last night. And Lee Grant was the only player not from the academy on the bench.

romufc

City hasn't played any games and he still has given plenty of debuts and plenty of minutes to fresh academy prospects. All I'm asking for is a Mengi against Luton, or a Laird yesterday. But I have said it for a long time, he's really not brave in these situations. He's very afraid of losing. Look at the team against a League One relegated team like Tranmere. And don't come with Greenwood, the boy is a generational talent and EVERY manager would've played him. And for all the times he chose Daniel James instead, including against Palace.
I think you are misunderstanding why some of the players played. City gave debuts yes, so? they still had Sterling, Walker, Laporte, Fernandinho, KDB, Mahrez playing.

You can say play Mengi but you also have to look at the bigger picture? playing Mengi will have 0 benefit to the club at the moment. We need to give Bailly game time so he can prove he can be first team, Ole wants to see how a Maguire Bailly partnership could look like. They also need minutes, match sharpness.

Also, Laird has just come back from injury, there is no chance he is even ready to play.

Well, you don't just hand out starts to players willy nilly, Greenwood, Chong, Williams, Tuanzebe have all got opportunities under Ole.

ayushreddevil9

Holy shit now you want youth, from academy and someone who is not talented. Just pick someone from academy who is a nobody and want him to become a legend down the road. That's really sad.

There is a huge cloud of negativity over the club and it got worse after the palace defeat. Now is the time to get shit together and win some games, the entire team is performing shit and needs to play games to get back to fitness. We don't have the luxury of city who have 3-4 new players added for their depth. Guardiola literally said that he doesn't care about the carabao cup because they have been winning it for the last 3 years.

This is our longest streak without trophies and you want the manager to risk letting that go as well?

Withnail

The players all need fitness. They still haven't played as many games as they would in a normal pre-season.

We have bigger fish to fry than giving young players games at this stage.

Isn't Pep giving those lads minutes due to injuries? He said himself he only has 14 fit outfield players.

Mickson

Holy shit now you want youth, from academy and someone who is not talented. Just pick someone from academy who is a nobody and want him to become a legend down the road. That's really sad.

There is a huge cloud of negativity over the club and it got worse after the palace defeat. Now is the time to get shit together and win some games, the entire team is performing shit and needs to play games to get back to fitness. We don't have the luxury of city who have 3-4 new players added for their depth. Guardiola literally said that he doesn't care about the carabao cup because they have been winning it for the last 3 years.

This is our longest streak without trophies and you want the manager to risk letting that go as well?
He didn't play youth in any cups last season and we won feck all. Chances are we are not going to win anything this season either. Mengi and Laird are not 'nothing players'. No way Dalot and TFM are better than Laird, and with Dalot on his way out, it becomes laughable that he started yesterday. And Mengi needs to play.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am bashing Ole a lot but what Ed did to him is pathetic. Going in fight with Spurs for 4th place with only VDB as new signing while Levy is buying Jose one player per week is insane.

What is he achieving?

Look at the average ago of the team last season, and compare that to Jose or compare it to the rest of the league.

I seem to remember we have the second lowest average in the league? That would clearly need to be fact checked.

He didn't play youth in any cups last season and we won feck all. Chances are we are not going to win anything this season either. Mengi and Laird are not 'nothing players'. No way Dalot and TFM are better than Laird, and with Dalot on his way out, it becomes laughable that he started yesterday. And Mengi needs to play.
Bailly and Lindelof needed to play. We need a partner for Maguire. Lindelof has not been in good form, and Bailly needs games - it was a needed game for them. Mengi using going to be partnering Maguire this season, and will have to bide his time.

Mickson

Look at the average ago of the team last season, and compare that to Jose or compare it to the rest of the league.

I seem to remember we have the second lowest average in the league? That would clearly need to be fact checked.
I'm not saying Ole hasn't done anything right. Selling Lukaku and trusting Greenwood, Martial and Rashford is one thing he did right for example. Obviously, that is a kind of trusting youth. What I mean here is that he rarely just throws in Mengi, even against a lower league team he usually play a lot of deadwood. And it's not just now. Look at the game against a very substandard Tranmere so you can't just say it's because they need games. As I said earlier, it wasn't exactly necessary to have Maguire against Luton. I guess Maguire would've been involved again yesterday if not for his minor injury.

I would have been fine with this team against Luton:

Henderson
Laird, Bailly, Mengi, Williams
McTominay, Fred
Mata, VdB, James
Ighalo

plenty of experience and it's not like Mengi and Laird are going to score two own goals.

James is another matter. Does anyone think he would give Chong, Gomes or even Elanga this many chances? It's unbelievable he still gets games.

I'm not saying Ole hasn't done anything right. Selling Lukaku and trusting Greenwood, Martial and Rashford is one thing he did right for example. Obviously, that is a kind of trusting youth. What I mean here is that he rarely just throws in Mengi, even against a lower league team he usually play a lot of deadwood. And it's not just now. Look at the game against a very substandard Tranmere so you can't just say it's because they need games. As I said earlier, it wasn't exactly necessary to have Maguire against Luton. I guess Maguire would've been involved again yesterday if not for his minor injury.

I would have been fine with this team against Luton:

Henderson
Laird, Bailly, Mengi, Williams
McTominay, Fred
Mata, VdB, James
Ighalo

plenty of experience and it's not like Mengi and Laird are going to score two own goals.
I think it’s far more difficult this season without the pre-season. Players are at different levels of fitness, which doesn’t help.

It’s also difficult with the huge squad we have. Pretty sure the manager would be happy to get rid of 5-6 of the squad in bring in a couple of players and give more opportunities to youth.

keithsingleton

Sammy you continue to knock those that doubt Ole yet on your profile you have Pochettino as your No1? Think you should change it to Ole surely

El Zoido

He’s under immense pressure to win every game, and not even a win is enough, it has to be a dominant win. Every game. Win 20 games in a row and score for fun, then one poor game and the knives are out again. The same fans then also complain that he doesn’t play enough youth players. Why would he risk youth players when he can’t afford to even win poorly? The fact is, Ole could win us another treble and we’d still have fans complaining that a “proper” manager would have won the quadruple. Part of me wants to see Klopp here just so I can see the cognitive dissonance from these fans when he also struggles at this club.

rotherham_red

It was the lowest, actually. We also had the youngest average aged starting XI and youngest squad in the league last year. Younger than Lampard's who have almost all been conveniently ditched once he was able to buy players.

Mickson

I think it’s far more difficult this season without the pre-season. Players are at different levels of fitness, which doesn’t help.

It’s also difficult with the huge squad we have. Pretty sure the manager would be happy to get rid of 5-6 of the squad in bring in a couple of players and give more opportunities to youth.
You know, he doesn't HAVE to use them. He can have Pereira in the stands (which he has). IMO, he has given far too many chances to average players, which resulted in Gomes leaving. James is another. Chance after chance. As I said earlier, no way a new academy kid would have given that many chances.

You know, he doesn't HAVE to use them. He can have Pereira in the stands (which he has). IMO, he has given far too many chances to average players, which resulted in Gomes leaving. James is another. Chance after chance. As I said earlier, no way a new academy kid would have given that many chances.
Let’s see where Gomes is in 5 years. My bet is nowhere. If he makes it, then good on him, but he clearly wasn’t ready to play for Utd.

As another poster pointed out, we actually had the lowest average age of any other club in the PL last season. He’s promoted Williams and Greenwood. Henderson is an academy player, Tuanzebe was set to be a first team player last season if it wasn’t for injuries. Chong made a good number of appearances that led to (hopefully) a good loan move.

Seems a strange way to bash the manager. We were playing against a PL team away from home, and squad players that we will need this season need to have games under their belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.