Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

Seeing how good we can potentially play against PSG and Leipzig, makes the Chelsea result and lineup all the more frustrating. Thought he got it spot on last night and made Leipzig look bang average.

Ibi Dreams

League Form:
Manager​
Games​
Win %​
W​
D​
L​
CS​
GF​
GA​
GD​
GSpG​
GCpG​
Total Pts​
APpG​
Moyes​
34​
50%​
17​
6​
11​
12​
56​
40​
16​
1.6​
1.2​
57​
1.68​
LVG​
76​
51%​
39​
19​
18​
29​
111​
72​
39​
1.5​
0.9​
136​
1.79​
Jose​
93​
54%​
50​
26​
17​
38​
151​
86​
65​
1.6​
0.9​
176​
1.89​
Ole​
64​
50%​
32​
17​
15​
19​
111​
73​
38​
1.7​
1.1​
113​
1.77​

GSpG - Goals Scored per Game
GCpG - Goals Conceded per Game
APpG - Average Points per Game
Incredibly interesting table. On the face of it looks like there really hasn't been much difference between any of our managers since SAF. Actually watching the teams tells such a different story though.

I suppose one thing that's true for all of them (bar Moyes, perhaps) is that they've all had very good streaks and very poor streaks. That's probably why everything has averaged out so much.

AshRK

That was horrendous. Deserves all the blame. His obsession with pogba and Mctominay today was weird. No excuses and deserved a loss.

NinjaFletch

I don't pretend to know the answers to every question on the planet, but I'm pretty sure the answer to the question 'Who do you take off when you need a goal?' is not, and never has been, Greenwood and Fernandes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He makes changes too late and today he made the wrong ones and then some.

I mean he does know he doesn't have to wait until half time to make changes right? That formation change should have been at 25 minutes, not 45.

Djemba-Djemba

I love Ole and defend him a lot.

There can be no defence of him after today.

A genuine 0/10 from him.

Think we're nearing the end of his time as manager.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Support Ole but that was clueless.

For someone who supposedly "gets the club", the feck was that shite??!

edit - also, know it's not his style, but show some fecking fire when we're playing like that in the last few minutes. Fecking demand better. If you're not down there doing that, you're just announcing to every man and his dog that this is the standard.

dabeast

I don’t understand why Ole didn’t play 4231 like post lockdown (with Cavani for Martial). Too much reactive crap. We are Man Utd, we should attack.

Ludens the Red

Absolutely vile to be honest.

Yet another game where we come out and are just so slow, passive and lacking any sort of intensity. How can it be happening every single game?

what the hell was the formation in the first half? Why was Mctominay playing in front of Wan Bissaka on the right, as if Arsenal had peak Eden Hazard.

I literally had no idea what or tactics or formation or what we were trying to do during that game.
It was beyond pathetic.

It’s pretty obvious at this point that this team is complete and utterly useless against teams that restrict space whether that be a deep block or the high compact press (not that idiotic high dline RBL had)

You look at those Cl wins and both PSG and RBL played intk our hands.
The minute we come against a team where we need to impose our game on them there is nothing happening.
And what kind of idiotic subs were those? you need a goal so you keep on the most unreliable player out there and take off the most reliable one? As in what?

Utterly incompetent managerial performance.

Utdstar01

Still don't know what his plan is. Think the players will start to doubt him if they already haven't.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I like how he has built the squad up to a standard that other managers havent.

However, his tactical ability isnt good enough.

The sticking with a 4231, the use of certain players in positions and not using others in that position, using a diamond with 2 defensive minded midfielders and no one to interlink the midfield and attack together. His subs are always too late and trash.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don’t understand why he’d take off the one player where we keep saying ‘yeah he played as bad as the rest of them, but he still played that killer pass/scored the goal/put the pen away’.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I can’t believe he kept Pogba on until the end. He was giving the ball away almost everytime and offered nothing going forward. At least he should have been moved to the left side of midfield after as early as 25 mins. My guess is that maybe he has an eye on Europe and wanted Pogba more game time to get going again. But what’s the point if we lose this game.

kiristao

There is no excuse to take off Bruno and keep Mctominay unless he was injured. And if he was, it should have been him and Mctominay coming off with a front 3 of Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood with VDB behind them and Pog and Matic behind him with Pogba given the licence to get forward as much as possible.
Much rather lose 2-0 going for the equalizer then the stuff we played today.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Amazing how he is defensive manager. This is a joke now. Against this Arsenal with our roster to set us up to play defensive football is ridiculous. Not only lineup and playing with both Fred and McT. It is obvious now that his instructions are to play deep and wait on counters. That is the way how small clubs are plsying ffs.
United fans called for Jose's sack because he is defensive coach. Solskjaer is twice more defensive than Jose.

And what is about that "team high press" which was his main idea when he got a job? I don't see it.

spiriticon

I give him credit for trying something new tactically today. But it didn't work. Shame.

I mean, 4-2-3-1 is our solid formation but it's so predictable for the opposition.

saivet

We looked like we had no idea what were doing today which was the most worrying thing from today while Arsenal looked to have a clear plan.

Some may not agree but I think the late flurry of goals against Leipzig glossed over what was largely a pretty average performance in my opinion.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I wasn't concerned about our first half performance, as I thought as long as we kept in it Arsenal's press would tire and we'd be able to nick it late on. That plan was unfortunately undone by Pogba's brain fart.

I was disappointed by Ole after the Arsenal goal though. Bruno was playing very badly but I don't understand the logic of taking him off when you get all the big lads on. We had so many set pieces after Bruno went off that we completely wasted. Bruno's a moments player, as bad as he was he might have dropped a ball on Cavani's forehead when we were chasing the game.

Classical Mechanic

I wasn't concerned about our first half performance, as I thought as long as we kept in it Arsenal's press would tire and we'd be able to nick it late on. That plan was unfortunately undone by Pogba's brain fart.

I was disappointed by Ole after the Arsenal goal though. Bruno was playing very badly but I don't understand the logic of taking him off when you get all the big lads on. We had so many set pieces after Bruno went off that we completely wasted. Bruno's a moments player, as bad as he was he might have dropped a ball on Cavani's forehead when we were chasing the game.
His subs were terrible. No one knew where they were supposed to be playing.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This guy was in charge of a 6-1 defeat to fecking Spurs and a home loss to Arsenal. fecking Pathetic.

RedStarUnited

I can see how he lasted so long at United as a sub player. He loves the game from that point of view doesnt he?

What sort of football person can watch that first half and not want to fire the players up or try change something? We did the same thing last weekend against Chelsea.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Biggest area of concern for me is how we stumble on a formation that gets us a good win and we then persist with it for the next game, it then reads less as a change of formation that works out against 1 specific opponent and more like blind luck

Sylar

He didn't make a single change in the first half which cost us the game

He just said we didn't turn up but that was obvious after 20 minutes. A change to tactic was needed straight away and he waited and waited

It's annoying how reactive he is rather than proactive

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm an Ole supporter, but I worry he's in a bit of trouble here. I think the players are letting him down, but he picks them. Everton next.
Were the players letting him down when we smashed Leipzig?

If it was 1 or 2 players playing poorly today, then you might have a point.

The entire team was awful. He took too long to change shape and then shoehorned Pogba out wide for the change in shape. He made subs too late and made the wrong subs.

It was one of the worst games he's managed for us. A complete failure from him. Undid everything well he did vs Leipzig.

Heinzesight

I’m clinging on to the hope he was hanging Pogba out to dry by leaving the prick on but I’m not sure and maybe he was naively hoping he’d rectify his mistake. But really, if he starts Pogba again he’s going to lose a lot of supporters.

Coops73

The in play management of this game was dire, he’s going to shoot him self in the foot.

I feel for Ole, he hasn’t been backed but it feels like he should be getting more out of these players and yes the players need to give more but it’s not looking good for him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The first half defend, 2nd half attack is not going to work every game. Most games it wont.

dabeast

We did not play well against Leipzig in the first half. We got lucky in the 2nd half because of their suicidal manager (playing Centre halves at the halfway line against us).

passing-wind

I don’t understand why Ole didn’t play 4231 like post lockdown (with Cavani for Martial). Too much reactive crap. We are Man Utd, we should attack.
A keen assessment is the word you've used in reactive. Anytime a manager sets out to nullify the opposition more than impose their beliefs in a game they will lack consistency. Reaction is always a defensive element hence we have a pragmatic manager.

I think the key for the club moving forward is not to go for the hottest name but more for the individual who has a plan, has a ideology, has the conviction to carry it out and has traits of a leader. Hansi Flick is the perfect portrayal of that reality. It doesn't make him the best manager in history or world football but it gives the club a sense of direction and destination.

Solskjaer looked more assuring in the opening 10 games of his temporal appointment compared to now. A manager needs a sequential narrative and his doesn't make sense he's absolutely finished but deservedly has the season to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.