Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would say is those defending the set up today, did you do the same when Mourinho was here and did it twice at Anfield? Cos I remember the reaction after the 0-0 here in 2017 was almost unanimously negative.
The context is a bit different when they're champions but we are sitting 3 points ahead of them at the top of the league.

passing-wind

100%, we have someone like Grealish in there and the transition would be so much better. We should have won today really, game plan was spot on.
Grealish would help but doing it at Villa with total fluidity of positional play and doing it for us is completely different. Press resistant individuals doesn't equate to a press resistant team. All that happens is the opposition double up to nullify the strengths. We are not going to see a possession based level of influence with Solskjaer as the manager. It's not his strengths nor his philosophy, he's provided the team with togetherness and unity with some tactical nous to create chances that is all we are going to get and on the basis of the league this season it's enough to grab a title.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It wasn’t a cowardly setup, what a load of absolute bollocks. Setup and tactics were fine, mentality issues seem to be with some of the players but we were the better team for 70 minutes of the game and created two game-winning chances that should have taken us to three points. At some point the
Agreed...

He places too much faith in rubbish forwards, put simply. To play like we do in these big matches, you need clinical world class players. Lads like Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Pogba need heaps of chances to get their eye in.
That’s the majority of our forwards, who would you drop the 4 of those and replace them with?!

Ash_G

He places too much faith in rubbish forwards, put simply. To play like we do in these big matches, you need clinical world class players. Lads like Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Pogba need heaps of chances to get their eye in.
Yeah I agree we are definitely missing a clinical finisher in general. I think this game had we just been more patient though we'd have created more chances like the one Shaw set up from Bruno or even got a position to run at Henderson/Fabinho and maybe exposed them being uncomfortable there.

Tapori

So many stupid comments, coward etc. fecking boring.

Doing a cracking job.
I would love some
I’m neither here not there with the set up today. For all the talk about getting at Liveroool, Fabinho is an absolute beast at centre back and their best central midfielder returned today. Ultimately we had two massive chances to win the game today.

What I would say is those defending the set up today, did you do the same when Mourinho was here and did it twice at Anfield? Cos I remember the reaction after the 0-0 here in 2017 was almost unanimously negative.
Oh Fabinho was immense.
What a player. And standing in as a CB too.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Set up well and got a good point and on another day, we win with that Pogba or Bruno chance

Halftrack

No it isn't. And the bold bit just shows you're so far stubborn in your own opinion that even in retrospect you wouldn't say its a bad decision to start him if he fecks up and leads to conceding a goal :lol:

I want this to play out differently but every big game in the domestic season has had us churn out shit performances with a Lindelof-Maguire combination. The last outing was particularly dogshit on defence particualrly. He dropped Baily when we played City, dropped for Lindelof and Maguire. For what? We got dicked on on set pieces.

This isn't about any agenda, because Ole has earned enough good will to take this risk, but whether it's Ole or SAF himself, a bad looking decision is a bad looking decision.
How is playing a solid defender who is very comfortable against team playing on the ground and who's very good under press "a bad looking decision"? It's a perfectly natural decision. He's far better than both Bailly and Maguire in those circumstances.
Not really your call to make, friend.

NinjaFletch

I moaned about the Lindelof pick, but it was one of the few things he got right today.

Not a fan of Martial left, Rashford through the middle and Pogba right, and I think he failed to realise how beatable Liverpool were on the day.

And yet came away with a point, so we'll live.

Halftrack

It is though, are you happy with how we used the ball today. Even ole is saying the Same in the post match
Your charge is that our set-up was cowardly, which isn't anywhere near what Ole said, so I don't know how you think that counts as a point in your favour.

passing-wind

Also how many clinical world class players are available in world football today. I can only think of two Lewan / Kane. Haaland sure but he's not proven enough. That's around two players in the entirety of football who will most likely convert chances when presented. The key if this is the case is to set the team up to have an array of chances so that the ratio goes in favour of the result.

Our forwards haven't been clinical all season it doesn't mean they are rubbish. Salah needs a bagful of opportunities and no one would utter his name without a mention of him being one of the best in his position.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How is playing a solid defender who is very comfortable against team playing on the ground and who's very good under press "a bad looking decision"? It's a perfectly natural decision. He's far better than both Bailly and Maguire in those circumstances.

Not really your call to make, friend.
Seems ole agrees... friend

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It is though, are you happy with how we used the ball today. Even ole is saying the Same in the post match
Of course I'd always want to see us play great football and go and kill Liverpool. Id like nothing more than that.

But

Top of the league

Gone away to the champions and come away with a point.

Just think back to how shit things have been the last 8 years or so. Of course things aren't perfect, but for the first time in a long time there is genuine progress and genuine signs of encouragement.

RUCK4444

Agree, people shouted me down for saying we should go for it. From what I just saw they were massively there for the taking and we played their reputation.
They didn’t look there for the taking for the majority of the first half though did they.

Different selection and they could have won the game in that period.

Easy to have an opinion with hindsight.

We could have won that game with two huge chances in the second half. Not like we totally bottled it.

Robindinho

Wish he’d stop being so afraid in the big games.

Could tell with the Lindelof selection that the game plan would be to sit deep and look to counter...
Would be nice for once if we looked to take initiative and play on the front foot - especially with their defence today.

Hopefully he’ll soon realise that Mcfred isn’t the answer. We lose the ball too easily and they’re poor at picking a forward pass.

Having said all that, it’s a good point in the end but that’s now 0 goals (other than a penalty) in 6 ‘big’ games.

TrustInJanuzaj

Your charge is that our set-up was cowardly, which isn't anywhere near what Ole said, so I don't know how you think that counts as a point in your favour.
He said we didn’t use the ball enough, which we didn’t. We didn’t set up positively and the changes were the wrong ones, we weren’t brave enough. Maybe cowardly is harsh but we didn’t set up to win that and ended up playing far worse than we can. People can be happy with the result but realise we are far better value that than performance.

TrustInJanuzaj

Wish he’d stop being so afraid in the big games.

Could tell with the Lindelof selection that the game plan would be to sit deep and look to counter...
Would be nice for once if we looked to take initiative and play on the front foot - especially with their defence today.

Hopefully he’ll soon realise that Mcfred isn’t the answer. We lose the ball too easily and they’re poor at picking a forward pass.

Having said all that, it’s a good point in the end but that’s now 0 goals (other than a penalty) in 6 ‘big’ games.
Echos my feelings

Polar

I don’t often criticise but he’s got it massively wrong today both tactically from the start and with his subs. We didn’t turn up, didn’t show any ambition to win and just the wrong subs way too late. He’s admitted today we won’t in the league which we probably already knew but it’s a really poor performance. That will teach me for believing we could actually do it.
Don’t agree at all. Some call it cowardly and you say we didn’t have ambitions to win. You even complain about the subs:eek:

The second half clearly shows the opposite of “no ambitions”. The match/plan was perfect, and if we had been more precise with our final passings we could have created several big chances.

I’m happy with the game plan and the performance today. It showed we have more quality in our team than LFC.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

Dont know why he refuse to make subs.

Big managers make subs in the 45-60th minute which decide the game.

Ole watches watches and watches and then subs Greenwood in the 90th.

TrustInJanuzaj

Of course I'd always want to see us play great football and go and kill Liverpool. Id like nothing more than that.

But

Top of the league

Gone away to the champions and come away with a point.

Just think back to how shit things have been the last 8 years or so. Of course things aren't perfect, but for the first time in a long time there is genuine progress and genuine signs of encouragement.
Sure I appreciate all that. My disappointment is because I know we are better than we showed today. We didn’t get on the ball, we don’t try and play and we didn’t create as much as we have shown we can. I think Ole felt the same way but he also didn’t set us up to play as much as we can.

TrustInJanuzaj

Don’t agree at all. Some call it cowardly and you say we didn’t have ambitions to win. You even complain about the subs:eek:

The second half clearly shows the opposite of “no ambitions”. The match/plan was perfect, and if we had been more precise with our final passings we could have created several big chances.

I’m happily with the game plan and the performance today. It showed we have more quality in our team than LFC.
Those chances we created were half chances and I wouldn’t expect them to be taken. I’ve expressed my position in this thread, we can be miles better and we shouldn’t have allowed Liverpool to dominate as much as they did with the side they had out. Yet again we haven’t been brave enough in a big game. We can do more.

TrustInJanuzaj

They didn’t look there for the taking for the majority of the first half though did they.

Different selection and they could have won the game in that period.

Easy to have an opinion with hindsight.

We could have won that game with two huge chances in the second half. Not like we totally bottled it.
I agree they were always going to start strongly, I’ll say it again though, do you truly not believe we can do more than that with the ball. We just didn’t have any control over any periods of the game which I know we are capable of. We need to have more ball .

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lindelof isn't a bad defender that's not the argument.

The point is, playing two slow defenders as a combination is not good because it invites extra pressure. You lose control of the game and you can't adapt as high a press because they can't be caught at the back in behind.

Top clubs don't partner 2 slow center backs for a reason. Stones covers Diaz, normally Gomes covers VVD, Dier covers Vertonghen, Zouma covers Thiago Silva.

You play 2 slow center backs and you have to play 2 holding midfielders to cover them. Then you don't have control of the game and invite the team on to you. This happened with Spurs, City, Arsenal and now today with Liverpool. Its quite obvious to be honest, I don't know why it needs spelling out to you.

If we were so set on Lindelof and Maguire as safety defenders we could have at least taken more of a risk centrally and perhaps put Pogba in the middle, Rashford right, Martial left and Cavani up top. But instead two slow defenders meant two holding midfielders to cover them, so a creative CM was put out right.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Sure I appreciate all that. My disappointment is because I know we are better than we showed today. We didn’t get on the ball, we don’t try and play and we didn’t create as much as we have shown we can. I think Ole felt the same way but he also didn’t set us up to play as much as we can.
Hyperbole.

We didn't dominate the ball but that we didn't try and play is silly nonsense.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Grealish would help but doing it at Villa with total fluidity of positional play and doing it for us is completely different. Press resistant individuals doesn't equate to a press resistant team. All that happens is the opposition double up to nullify the strengths. We are not going to see a possession based level of influence with Solskjaer as the manager. It's not his strengths nor his philosophy, he's provided the team with togetherness and unity with some tactical nous to create chances that is all we are going to get and on the basis of the league this season it's enough to grab a title.
You really underestimate Grealish. He's the type of player who can influence a teams general play on his own. He's that good. He's done it with a free role at Villa and a disciplined role.

There's a reason Ole was desperate for him. He knew this, and would love have us be a better possession team in which Grealish would've improved us at. It's why he's probably gutted we got Donny as he isn't half the player and buying him means the board probably won't even look at Jack now.

TrustInJanuzaj

Hyperbole.

We didn't dominate the ball but that we didn't try and play is silly nonsense.
I just don’t think so. I’d say we were far better against city and yet we lost that. I’d just rather us try and do more. That felt that a game under Jose.

RUCK4444

I agree they were always going to start strongly, I’ll say it again though, do you truly not believe we can do more than that with the ball. We just didn’t have any control over any periods of the game which I know we are capable of. We need to have more ball .
Yes I agree that needs to improve, it did somewhat in the second half.

I said in the Bruno thread a minute ago that it doesn’t help having both Fred and Scott on the pitch (just to do the job of one top level DM.)
They are both limited in their passing and negative with their positioning, which isn’t conducive to retaining possession especially under a Klopp press.

united for life

We still set up very defensive against top teams. I guess he still doesn’t believe the team can have a go at teams like Liverpool yet. Ideally, we shouldn’t sit back and defend like this against anyone. Agree, we need to have special tactics against such teams, but not park the bus.

he got it right though. Good point against Liverpool away from home.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Spot on with his approach today.

Went to the reigning champions, denied them anything of note. With a little more clinical finishing we would‘ve won the game, and deservedly so, I might add. Good result either way, even if we all feel like we should’ve claimed three points tonight.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yes I agree that needs to improve, it did somewhat in the second half.

I said in the Bruno thread a minute ago that it doesn’t help having both Fred and Scott on the pitch (just to do the job of one top level DM.)
They are both limited in their passing and negative with their positioning, which isn’t conducive to retaining possession especially under a Klopp press.
Also agree that’s got to be the clear upgrade in this team. You can carry either/or but we have to have someone more progressive in that midfield partnership. The reason I use the word cowardly, is because I think we should have pushed Pogba deep and gone to a 4-5-1 like we are best at and had Cavani/Greenwood on in the 60th/70th minute. We could have easily done some damage to that Liverpool team.

dutchred

He was cowardly today. Liverpool had a lot of missing players. We should have gone all out for the win. I cant understand his attitude today. First not playing Bailly and being so defensive against a weekened Liverpool

Robbie Boy

Either Neville or Carragher - can't remember which one - made a point that we set up against them based on reputation. Had we played any other team with that first eleven, I believe we would have gone for it and probably won.

Nevertheless, I would have taken a draw before the game so it's a good result. Still a-bit disappointed with our set-up and the two big missed chances. A draw was a relatively fair result and Liverpool's front 3 looks a shadow of what they were. Mane is ludicrously overrated and Salah is a numbers man these days. His all-round game is rubbish.

TrustInJanuzaj

He was cowardly today. Liverpool had a lot of missing players. We should have gone all out for the win. I cant understand his attitude today. First not playing Bailly and being so defensive against a weekened Liverpool
I think his starting tactics were okay and we approached the game fine first half as Liverpool were always going to come out strong. Personally we should have been braver in that second half, Pogba deep for Fred/McTominay, and get on another attacker alongside Martial and Rashford.

Status
Not open for further replies.