Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olecurls99

That's once again not what I said, no. We don't need to hire them, we need to hire managers who can coach to a level that can bridge that gap.

Also yes, Pep can't coach, him winning titles everywhere he goes, breaking records etc. is purely down to chance. His great players look even better because of his system, I can't say the same for ours
Agreed. Ole is that man. I guess it comes down to how much emphasis you place on coaches and how much you place on players.

Pep, along with Zidane, is the perfect poster child for the fact that players make coaches look good.

-He had the games greatest player and squad at Barca.

-He then joined Bayern. Enough said. But I'll also say they were already European champions. He couldn't repeat.

-He then joined UAE City who have had the best squad of players in England since 2011.

Switch the squads and everybody would be lauding Ole as a great coach.

Players make football. Players make football teams. Players make styles. Coaches can help but you can't make chicken soup from chicken sh**. By the way I think our squad is at most 3rd best.

M16Red

Pretty much this.
The last 12 league games:

Rashford: 5 goals, 2 assist
Greenwood: 0 goals, 0 assist, he last scored in the league vs WHU in December
Marital: 2 goals, 3 assist
Fans not in the ground having an affect?

Red & White

Happy to hear him say the players are too nice. Would have been great to tell them this earlier in the season but with the drop off in performances, this could be nice timing to put some fire back in their bellies. I’d expect to see a reaction now, starting with the game tonight. Also, the ref will think twice now, I think, when they try and give poor decisions against us with the Sheff Utd game ref being in the spotlight now, for the wrong reasons.

Polar

I don't think Ole is the man for the job so the best way to part company is to let his contract run out. It saves a club legend from a lot of embarrassment from getting 'sacked' which is best for all parties.
Sadly don't see that happening.
Like lightening on a clear day :eek: Understand your opinion on Ole, but don’t understand your timing.
Timing is everything;)

Also have to say I don’t agree. Many people use the “Ole card” to explain everything going wrong, even when someone misses a penalty.

Ole is a great manger in the process United is into; a rebuilding creating a better foundation for the future. Many players are offloaded and new young players are recruited. It’s also about culture, mentality, cohesion and the structure of the “sport department” as a whole.

How long are we suppose to wait is a relevant question. As long as we progress is one answer, but I also think it’s about when to expect things to settle down.

Is Ole the right man to bring us to the final destination when things are a little bit more settled? Don’t know, but I think we’ll have the answer before Christmas.

I’m happy with Ole and, especially when looking on the bigger picture, we shouldn’t expect more right now. Can’t see another manager bringing the club through a difficult time in a better way than Ole.

Raven

Average possession per season
2016/2017 - Jose - 56.5%
2017/2018 - Jose - 54.8%
2019/2020 - Ole - 56.2%
2020/2021 - Ole - 54.1%

Average goals per game - Premier League
Jose - 1.6
Ole - 1.7

We are definitely disjointed and imbalanced and have been since 2013 to be fair.

McTominay and Rashford would definitely not have been squad players or gone when Jose was here. Due to the fact Jose brought McTominay through and gave Rashford more appearances than any other player in the 2017/2018 season.

Transfer spend by Jose in five windows - approx 360 million
Transfer spend by Ole in five windows - approx 295 million

Covid probably meant less spending in the summer to be fair.

Louis van Gaal sold or released the following players - Evans, Buttner, Rafael, Cleverley, Welbeck, Nani, van Persie, Hernandez, Lindegaard, Bebe, Fletcher, Anderson, Zaha, Ferdinand, Macheda, Vidic, Evra, Kagawa, Welbeck.

Ah finally, you've said something that is factually true.

I keep responding to posts like this and I wanted Mourinho gone and am glad he's gone but this whole pretending we're a more aesthetically pleasing football team is just kind of fantasy. I think people are seeing what they want to believe. Nobody outside of Man United thinks Man United play good football. You'll see people talk about Brighton and Southampton playing good football but never Man United but for some strange reason half the people on here are convinced we're miles ahead of Mourinho's teams when it comes to style of play and attacking intent.
I just wanted to interject and say our style of play has come on leaps and bounds since Mourinho. Sure we're not the sexiest footballing outfit in the league but I honestly can't remember a time that we we're, even under Fergie.

Polar

Players make football. Players make football teams. Players make styles. Coaches can help but you can't make chicken soup from chicken sh**. By the way I think our squad is at most 3rd best.
You are pointing on an element which many supporters forget. It requires experience to understand what “the system” is a result of. It’s not one dimensional; only a result of the manager.

I think a coach can do more than only help, but it’s important to remember that “the system” also is a result of all the individual bricks which to a certain extent already is formed.

All teams has their own inherent or special character. United will never be City and visa versa. If we want to play 80-100% like another team, the alternative is to buy all their players :D

We have to find our own way and play on our existing strengths. Systems are developed step by step over long time.

Last edited:

Olecurls99

I just wanted to interject and say our style of play has come on leaps and bounds since Mourinho. Sure we're not the sexiest footballing outfit in the league but I honestly can't remember a time that we we're, even under Fergie.
Hey Leroy. You don't think we play better attacking football than the Mourinho double full back stuff? or the throw Fellaini on stuff? or the let's have a big immobile lump up front stuff?

If you honestly think how we play isn't better than that, well that's fine. Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

rotherham_red

Average possession per season
2016/2017 - Jose - 56.5%
2017/2018 - Jose - 54.8%
2019/2020 - Ole - 56.2%
2020/2021 - Ole - 54.1%

Average goals per game - Premier League
Jose - 1.6
Ole - 1.7

We are definitely disjointed and imbalanced and have been since 2013 to be fair.

Fair enough, I might have been wrong on the specifics of possession. But consider this: Ole has us near enough to Jose's output and better in terms of GPG with a demonstrably worse squad. That 2017/18 team was the peak of Jose's time here, and he didn't have us as close to the top as Ole has done while the latter is still has a work in progress squad at his disposal.

McTominay and Rashford would definitely not have been squad players or gone when Jose was here. Due to the fact Jose brought McTominay through and gave Rashford more appearances than any other player in the 2017/2018 season.

I disagree entirely. Rashford was predominantly a bench player under Jose, and then shared the LW spot with Martial. He only started getting more games in 2016/17 because of Zlatan's injury and he got more time in that final season because of Martial's contract issues. Jose never really developed him or Martial in his time at the club and it's no surprise that both players went up a level or two after Jose left. He would have probably been cast out by Jose if he had stayed and there were discussions with his camp and Barcelona (a fact corroborated by people who would know). A happy player, who has the trust of his manager, would not be entertaining such talk, especially one that is homegrown like Rashford. Contrast that with how he is under Ole, and it's a night and day's difference.

Re McTominay, like I said, he would not have been more than a squad player under Jose. He rarely played the big games under him (as far as I can remember he started against Chelsea and Liverpool once in the two and a bit years Jose was here) again, contrast that with Ole who brought him on and played him against PSG and Barca within 3-4 months of him joining, at a time when many Utd fans didn't think much of him at all.

Transfer spend by Jose in five windows - approx 360 million
Transfer spend by Ole in five windows - approx 295 million

Covid probably meant less spending in the summer to be fair.

Cool. Now do the net figures. Jose spent what he did (and broke the world transfer record in the process) and added to the squad. He just added to an even more bloated squad that desperately needed trimming. Other than Schneiderlin and Depay, there weren't many players who left that needed to have been shifted, and in moving Blind, he left out a player who we could have done with. His transfer record is hideous viewing, with many of the players he bought not even being at the club anymore. Contrast that with Ole, who had to sell Lukaku to get Maguire last season, or Smalling to get Telles this season, and the comparison between their spending really doesn't hold up to any sort of scrutiny.

And it's nothing to do with Covid either. If Ole was able to get the backing in the market like the other two managers did (i.e. being able to get a midfielder in the summer to replace the two who left/were sold), we'd be much further along the process.

Louis van Gaal sold or released the following players - Evans, Buttner, Rafael, Cleverley, Welbeck, Nani, van Persie, Hernandez, Lindegaard, Bebe, Fletcher, Anderson, Zaha, Ferdinand, Macheda, Vidic, Evra, Kagawa, Welbeck.

Yes, this was a mistake, I was meant to specify Jose and say that LvG fecked it up when he sold the good squad players we had under Fergie, but I'll let you have this.

Ah finally, you've said something that is factually true.

I keep responding to posts like this and I wanted Mourinho gone and am glad he's gone but this whole pretending we're a more aesthetically pleasing football team is just kind of fantasy. I think people are seeing what they want to believe. Nobody outside of Man United thinks Man United play good football. You'll see people talk about Brighton and Southampton playing good football but never Man United but for some strange reason half the people on here are convinced we're miles ahead of Mourinho's teams when it comes to style of play and attacking intent.

I disagree. It's a lot easier to play nice football when you're the plucky underdog who seldom wins anything. It's much, much harder to do it when you're at a team like Utd where every result matters. As it is, we're not 100% there as a team as we don't have that proper DM and CB with pace to enable us to play a higher line that Ole wants us to, but you can't say that there hasn't been beautiful passages of play under Ole that we hadn't seen from us in years. Jose's team was functional. Their counter goals were likewise, functional at best. With Ole, our one touch play in and around the box can be a joy to watch at times. It really doesn't bear resemblance. I was there week in and week out under both managers and even when we were winning 4-0 every week, it was a slog. With us generally being 1-0 up for 70 mins and then countering to score 3 in the last 10 mins or so after the opposition opened up. If ever a 4-0 win was a chore to watch, it was those 4-0 wins.

Mainoldo

So because Fergie’s last two years wasn’t the best we should just always be a boring side?

I think the team is always a reflection of the manager and coaching staff and I’d like better football considering that what United has been about.

Raven

So because Fergie’s last two years wasn’t the best we should just always be a boring side?

I think the team is always a reflection of the manager and coaching staff and I’d like better football considering that what United has been about.
It goes further back than that. There have usually been teams in the league who play better football than us. The last bout of playing the nicest football in the league for us was 06/07 to about 09/10. People seem to forget that Fergie was all about grinding out wins when needs be and understood that keeping the squad fit and healthy was more important than playing pretty football.

This team is still very much a work in progress, we still don't have a RW for feck sake. Ole's always said this is a 3 year project, he was given a 3 year contract to reflect that. We're currently in our second season and things are coming together but we're still a little short of the final product. Once we have sorted weaknesses in our team, probably by integrating Diallo and summer signings of a CB and possibly a DM, I will expect a proper title challenge and some good football.

My initial point was that we play much better ball now in comparison to Mourinho's time here. I don't think that's particularly debatable.

Mainoldo

It goes further back than that. There have usually been teams in the league who play better football than us. The last bout of playing the nicest football in the league for us was 06/07 to about 09/10. People seem to forget that Fergie was all about grinding out wins when needs be and understood that keeping the squad fit and healthy was more important than playing pretty football.

This team is still very much a work in progress, we still don't have a RW for feck sake. Ole's always said this is a 3 year project, he was given a 3 year contract to reflect that. We're currently in our second season and things are coming together but we're still a little short of the final product. Once we have sorted weaknesses in our team, probably by integrating Diallo and summer signings of a CB and possibly a DM, I will expect a proper title challenge and some good football.

My initial point was that we play much better ball now in comparison to Mourinho's time here. I don't think that's particularly debatable.
Well fair enough so you have the same aim the club has. A title challenge next season.

Just out of interest with everything that’s going on with this current seasons and is really benefiting from no serious injuries wouldn’t you say we could win a title early? Like Fergie did in 06?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Christ if you are trying to argue that the football under Mourinho was comparable to that served currently under Ole this isn't the right sport for you. The difference is night and day.

Ludens the Red

Fair enough, I might have been wrong on the specifics of possession. But consider this: Ole has us near enough to Jose's output and better in terms of GPG with a demonstrably worse squad. That 2017/18 team was the peak of Jose's time here, and he didn't have us as close to the top as Ole has done while the latter is still has a work in progress squad at his disposal.
Which squad is worse is subjective. The second half of that sentence is another one of those factually incorrect statements. Our peak position under Mourinho was 2nd with 81 points. Until this season finishes you cannot make that kind of statement because you don't have the results to be able to make it.

I disagree entirely. Rashford was predominantly a bench player under Jose, and then shared the LW spot with Martial. He only started getting more games in 2016/17 because of Zlatan's injury and he got more time in that final season because of Martial's contract issues. Jose never really developed him or Martial in his time at the club and it's no surprise that both players went up a level or two after Jose left. He would have probably been cast out by Jose if he had stayed and there were discussions with his camp and Barcelona (a fact corroborated by people who would know). A happy player, who has the trust of his manager, would not be entertaining such talk, especially one that is homegrown like Rashford. Contrast that with how he is under Ole, and it's a night and day's difference.

Re McTominay, like I said, he would not have been more than a squad player under Jose. He rarely played the big games under him (as far as I can remember he started against Chelsea and Liverpool once in the two and a bit years Jose was here) again, contrast that with Ole who brought him on and played him against PSG and Barca within 3-4 months of him joining, at a time when many Utd fans didn't think much of him at all.
It's fine to disagree but appearances and situation speak for themselves. Rashford made over 100 appearances between 2016 and 2018. Marcus Rashford was a 19/20 year old striker. He was not good enough to be given the starting striking spot at the time. Zlatan was much better than him. At what other club do you see a 19/20 year old as a starting forward? Him and Martial competed for the left wing spot and rightfully so.
Martial went up a level last season and has now gone on to have his worse ever season with us this year, worse than anything we've ever seen, maybe just maybe the problem is Martial and not Ole and not Mourinho. He looks a player void of any sort of conviction.

RE: McTominay, Scott Mctominay is not good enough to be anything more than a squad player at United. Under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer now he IS LITERALLY a squad player. I mean your whole Mctominay post is so inconsistent. You even admit Mctominay played big games under Mourinho against Chelsea and Liverpool. You mention the PSG game as if he would have played in it had we had any other fit players. That post is just the epitome of the spin and gymnastics played to praise Ole and criticise Mourinho. Both managers know his limitations and he was used and is being used exactly how he should be. You say two and a half seasons under Mourinho as if McTominay was even in the squad in 2016/2017. I suppose by the logic being applied to how Mourinho used Rashford and McTominay we can now claim that Ole doesn't want Greenwood and will not progress under Ole seeing as how he's not starting every single game at the minute.

Cool. Now do the net figures. Jose spent what he did (and broke the world transfer record in the process) and added to the squad. He just added to an even more bloated squad that desperately needed trimming. Other than Schneiderlin and Depay, there weren't many players who left that needed to have been shifted, and in moving Blind, he left out a player who we could have done with. His transfer record is hideous viewing, with many of the players he bought not even being at the club anymore. Contrast that with Ole, who had to sell Lukaku to get Maguire last season, or Smalling to get Telles this season, and the comparison between their spending really doesn't hold up to any sort of scrutiny.

And it's nothing to do with Covid either. If Ole was able to get the backing in the market like the other two managers did (i.e. being able to get a midfielder in the summer to replace the two who left/were sold), we'd be much further along the process.
Not much difference with net figures, players sold under Mourinho show between 80-90 million incoming and under Ole between 90 and 100 million. At this stage the facts show Mourinhos net spend at between 60-70 million more, so for arguments sake we can say he's been allowed to bring in ONE more player than Ole has. These are what the facts say but of course I expect myths to continue to be peddled.
Nothing to do with covid? Again you're arguing against actual fact. Every single self run club had to veto heavy spending in the summer because of covid. This literally happened, it's not a theory or an opinion, it's actually what happened.
But again, I expect these spins, these narratives. It doesn't matter what the facts or situation say, it's long been decided that Ole has been starved on funds and transfers and Jose and LVG were given heaven and earth.

I disagree. It's a lot easier to play nice football when you're the plucky underdog who seldom wins anything. It's much, much harder to do it when you're at a team like Utd where every result matters. As it is, we're not 100% there as a team as we don't have that proper DM and CB with pace to enable us to play a higher line that Ole wants us to, but you can't say that there hasn't been beautiful passages of play under Ole that we hadn't seen from us in years. Jose's team was functional. Their counter goals were likewise, functional at best. With Ole, our one touch play in and around the box can be a joy to watch at times. It really doesn't bear resemblance. I was there week in and week out under both managers and even when we were winning 4-0 every week, it was a slog. With us generally being 1-0 up for 70 mins and then countering to score 3 in the last 10 mins or so after the opposition opened up. If ever a 4-0 win was a chore to watch, it was those 4-0 wins.
Like I said, the stats show a similarity in goals and ball possession and my eyes and a lot of other peoples eyes and then pretty much everyone outside the clubs eyes tell us our football is still way behind where it needs to be.

I mean honestly, let's not even go there. Like I accept getting into an Ole/Mourinho debate but let's not even go to talking about Sir Alex's teams. It might not have been swash buckling but we are lightyears away from even the 2011-2013 team which scored 78, 89 and 89 goals in the Premier League in those last three seasons. That team might not have produced a Barcelona standard of football but it scored goals, it showed attacking intent, decision making in the final third, we took risks. None of this is in our play now.

And it is debateable, hence why it's always being debated. Hence why the number of people who do think its dramatically improved is a much smaller sample size than those who don't.

Raven

Well fair enough so you have the same aim the club has. A title challenge next season.

Just out of interest with everything that’s going on with this current seasons and is really benefiting from no serious injuries wouldn’t you say we could win a title early? Like Fergie did in 06?
I'd be delighted if we nicked the title this year, over the moon in fact, that doesn't mean I'm going to push for his exit of that's not achieved. City still have the strongest squad in the league and have been known to go on insane winning runs. Liverpool are still a far more balanced team than us as well, with or without VVD.

At the start of the season I would have been happy with a strong top 4 finish and anything beyond that a bonus. My opinion hasn't changed. Next season I want us to be arguably the best team in the league, if that doesn't happen then I think very serious questions have to be asked.

Raven

Which squad is worse is subjective. The second half of that sentence is another one of those factually incorrect statements. Our peak position under Mourinho was 2nd with 81 points. Until this season finishes you cannot make that kind of statement because you don't have the results to be able to make it.

It's fine to disagree but appearances and situation speak for themselves. Rashford made over 100 appearances between 2016 and 2018. Marcus Rashford was a 19/20 year old striker. He was not good enough to be given the starting striking spot at the time. Zlatan was much better than him. At what other club do you see a 19/20 year old as a starting forward? Him and Martial competed for the left wing spot and rightfully so.
Martial went up a level last season and has now gone on to have his worse ever season with us this year, worse than anything we've ever seen, maybe just maybe the problem is Martial and not Ole and not Mourinho. He looks a player void of any sort of conviction.

RE: McTominay, Scott Mctominay is not good enough to be anything more than a squad player at United. Under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer now he IS LITERALLY a squad player. I mean your whole Mctominay post is so inconsistent. You even admit Mctominay played big games under Mourinho against Chelsea and Liverpool. You mention the PSG game as if he would have played in it had we had any other fit players. That post is just the epitome of the spin and gymnastics played to praise Ole and criticise Mourinho. Both managers know his limitations and he was used and is being used exactly how he should be. You say two and a half seasons under Mourinho as if McTominay was even in the squad in 2016/2017. I suppose by the logic being applied to how Mourinho used Rashford and McTominay we can now claim that Ole doesn't want Greenwood and will not progress under Ole seeing as how he's not starting every single game at the minute.

Not much difference with net figures, players sold under Mourinho show between 80-90 million incoming and under Ole between 90 and 100 million. At this stage the facts show Mourinhos net spend at between 60-70 million more, so for arguments sake we can say he's been allowed to bring in ONE more player than Ole has. These are what the facts say but of course I expect myths to continue to be peddled.
Nothing to do with covid? Again you're arguing against actual fact. Every single self run club had to veto heavy spending in the summer because of covid. This literally happened, it's not a theory or an opinion, it's actually what happened.
But again, I expect these spins, these narratives. It doesn't matter what the facts or situation say, it's long been decided that Ole has been starved on funds and transfers and Jose and LVG were given heaven and earth.

Like I said, the stats show a similarity in goals and ball possession and my eyes and a lot of other peoples eyes and then pretty much everyone outside the clubs eyes tell us our football is still way behind where it needs to be.

I mean honestly, let's not even go there. Like I accept getting into an Ole/Mourinho debate but let's not even go to talking about Sir Alex's teams. It might not have been swash buckling but we are lightyears away from even the 2011-2013 team which scored 78, 89 and 89 goals in the Premier League in those last three seasons. That team might not have produced a Barcelona standard of football but it scored goals, it showed attacking intent, decision making in the final third, we took risks. None of this is in our play now.

And it is debateable, hence why it's always being debated. Hence why the number of people who do think its dramatically improved is a much smaller sample size than those who don't.
You'll notice that I never compared Ole to Fergie. What I did was compare Fergie's teams to the teams competing with them. We often played uglier football than our rivals but we were able to grind out results and nick late winners like nobody else. There were times when we played the sexiest football, but not always, not even most of the time.

My point is that we play far better football than we did under Mourinho, which is so obvious it's painful. Do we play the best football in the league? No. Is it still improving? Yes. Will we ever play as nice football as City do? Probably not. But does it really matter though... the point is winning and doing it well, you can do that without playing football as sexy as the likes of Man City and we've done it lots in the past. If Ole can do it too, I'll be happy.

Mainoldo

I'd be delighted if we nicked the title this year, over the moon in fact, that doesn't mean I'm going to push for his exit of that's not achieved. City still have the strongest squad in the league and have been known to go on insane winning runs. Liverpool are still a far more balanced team than us as well, with or without VVD.

At the start of the season I would have been happy with a strong top 4 finish and anything beyond that a bonus. My opinion hasn't changed. Next season I want us to be arguably the best team in the league, if that doesn't happen then I think very serious questions have to be asked.
Same as you. I fully agree.. I’d be delighted and not upset if it didn’t happen.

Only difference is I know City will improve next year. I know Liverpool will still have Klopp and lesa injures. I also know Chelsea now have a manager with sense.

So already that’s 3 teams who are stronger than us. Then you add in we will spend in the summer. So yes the squad will improve. But the squad improved this year and we still can’t integrate VDB and we still play the same football. I really don’t see Jadon Sancho and a CB who will still be asked to zonal mark therefore still being poor at corners is going to get us in a position to title challenge.

On that note I think Ole should do the honourable thing and resign at the end of the season.

rotherham_red

You speak of being objective but then allow your bias to colour your statements. We are closer to the top at this stage last season than we were at any point under Jose in 2017/18 after he lost to City at OT. That is an undeniable fact. Where we end up is another matter, but right now this much is at the very least true.

Well, what part of my initial statement was untrue then? It's an opinion that I hold, and which I feel is grounded in reality. Martial and Rashford were both forced to compete against each other when under the previous management they were playing together. They weren't given the time and patience to develop as they should have been and their development stalled. I'm sure you're also clever enough to also realise that 100 appearances at an average of say, 30-35 mins per appearance doesn't really amount to much more than 40-45 full appearances. I haven't done the maths, but surely you can agree that not all appearances are valid? To be honest, this statement just reminds me of that god awful cringe moment when Jose came out with that sheet of paper which listed 40-odd players he gave a debut to at his unveiling. It was bollocks then, and it's bollocks now.

Again, it seems like your projecting the insecurities of your argument on to me. It's not going to work unfortunately. McTominay played 2 big games out of how many under Jose? He played Barca in Ole's first caretaker stint when he had the full compliment of players to choose from and he's pretty much played every big game this season too. That is not screaming squad player status to me. The Greenwood comparison is a bit of a misnomer too. He's not played because of a few very public issues that he's had. The fact that Ole still trusted him to play in the do or die game against Leipzig and against Liverpool just last week shows how much he is valued. That is just this season, and I am sure there's at least another game in there too.

Speaking of squad players, if you want to talk about a player who has been used as one for the bulk of Ole's time here, we don't have to look too much further than Matic. He, who Jose decided that for £40m, was a good investment and who along with Lukaku, Jose famously referenced as "why M and L always play" after he screwed the pooch against Brighton. There's certainly no talk of "why always Matic" these days... I wonder why.

Can you provide those figures please? Because from the top of my head, I remember the following: £89m on Pogba, Free for Zlatan, £30m/£35m on Bailly and £23m on Mkhitaryan and he didn't sell anyone of note that summer. Likewise. the next summer he spent £72m on Lukaku, £40m on Matic and £30m on Lindelof with only Schneiderlin (£24m), Blind (can't remember if we even got a fee for him), and Depay (£31m) being notable outs as far as I can recall during that two year period. I'm not even counting the third summer where c.£60m was spent on Dalot and Fred (and Grant on a free), or Sanchez who nominally cost £35m but in actual fact didn't. So, where exactly did Jose recoup enough to say he had a similar type of net spend to Ole? Did he have one outgoing that was on a par with the Lukaku sale, for instance?

Again, you're missing my point. The argument I'm having is that Ole has not been backed to the same extent that Jose and LvG did. For every incoming signing, there have been at least 2 outgoings. Rightly so, as the squad was crap and the players in question needed selling, but in turn, they also needed replacing which didn't really happen. The most egregious aspect of this occurred a full year before Covid, where Ole sold Lukaku expecting a replacement to come in which never materialised (until the Ighalo loan), or when he sold Fellaini in January and had to let Herrera go six months later and nobody came in until January 2020. You like to talk about facts, well "this literally happened".

:houllier: :lol:

That's fine. It doesn't pass your eye test and we can agree to disagree. I'm pretty confident in my assertion that you're wrong, but there's no way either of us are going to concede on this.

Raven

Same as you. I fully agree.. I’d be delighted and not upset if it didn’t happen.

Only difference is I know City will improve next year. I know Liverpool will still have Klopp and lesa injures. I also know Chelsea now have a manager with sense.

So already that’s 3 teams who are stronger than us. Then you add in we will spend in the summer. So yes the squad will improve. But the squad improved this year and we still can’t integrate VDB and we still play the same football. I really don’t see Jadon Sancho and a CB who will still be asked to zonal mark therefore still being poor at corners is going to get us in a position to title challenge.

On that note I think Ole should do the honourable thing and resign at the end of the season.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree for now but I don't think he should be resigning and disagree massively that it would be the honourable thing to do. I have no doubt that we'll finish ahead of Chelsea, yet again, next season with Ole at the helm, the question is whether or not he can go all the way.

Mainoldo

I think we'll have to agree to disagree for now but I don't think he should be resigning and disagree massively that it would be the honourable thing to do. I have no doubt that we'll finish ahead of Chelsea, yet again, next season with Ole at the helm, the question is whether or not he can go all the way.
Yeah that’s fine. Difference of opinions, we’ll have to see. I hope we upgrade him for the benefit of us being able to going all the way. Your currently have doubts there and it’s probably due to the fact you know he’s not good enough as a manager to adapt to not having a team with mixing wholes in it or purely on the fact everytime we need to get over the line like a semi final we fail. So even though he will probably never win a trophy here we can rest on the fact he’s pushing us up the table. A bit like how Spurs fans probably felt under Poch.

But at the sametime I can’t knock your faith ..he’s shown you he can atleast get us top of the league for a month even without a fully invested squad like a Lampard had.

Ludens the Red

@rotherham_red

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I’ve produced statistical evidence our football isn’t that much better and that there’s not been a dramatic shift in money spent by either manager. This is the problem when you back a corner and decide on a narrative. You literally believe in it so much you argue against and question actual facts.

But anyway this comment you made kind I found quite astonishing and sums up the anti Mourinho agenda behind the posting.

Martial and Rashford were both forced to compete against each other when under the previous management they were playing together. They weren't given the time and patience to develop as they should have been and their development stalled.
So now squad rotation and putting young players in and out of the squad is forcing them to compete against each other.
So basically Sir Alex Ferguson spent decades forcing players to compete against each other. I suppose Ole is doing the same now, forcing Fred/Mctominay and Pogba to compete with each other. Forcing Greenwood to compete with Cavani, Martial and Rashford.

Last edited:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Solskjaer and his coaches were being ripped apart on Talksport earlier for the negative way they set the team up.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Even if you believe Ole is the right man or not, to take us back to winning the PL and beyond, he has done a great job shifting dead wood and players not good enough to be at the club. Just see below for all the players he has sold that were/are clearly not good enough for us in the long term.

Lukaku,
Sanchez,
Darmian,
Smalling,
Young,
Valencia,
Lingard (Just a loan but still gone),
Rojo,
Fosu Mensah,
Andreas Pereira (Just a loan but never going to be big enough),

Dalot is on loan and may come back better and offer us something long term as he is still young. Same with Chong.

Ole is doing a splendid job off the pitch and even if you don't want him here long term is also doing a very good job on the pitch.

Raven

Yeah that’s fine. Difference of opinions, we’ll have to see. I hope we upgrade him for the benefit of us being able to going all the way. Your currently have doubts there and it’s probably due to the fact you know he’s not good enough as a manager to adapt to not having a team with mixing wholes in it or purely on the fact everytime we need to get over the line like a semi final we fail. So even though he will probably never win a trophy here we can rest on the fact he’s pushing us up the table. A bit like how Spurs fans probably felt under Poch.

But at the sametime I can’t knock your faith ..he’s shown you he can atleast get us top of the league for a month even without a fully invested squad like a Lampard had.
I suppose that's fair enough, only time will give us a conclusive answer. Like I say, it's a work in progress and I'm willing to wait and see how he does because the sign so far have been positive for me.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
No rotation again, the same players playing every game. We will not last that long in any challenge for trophies at this rate.
What are you talking about? Ole rested players 2 games ago vs Sheff United and we lost. Tuanzebe played because Bailly got injured but rested Lindelof, Telles instead of Shaw, Matic and Pogba were in the middle but today is Fred and Scott, Martial played instead of Cavani. That is 5 different players to today.

Idxomer

Some great posts from @Leroy The Red.

I despise Mourinho but I haven't seen the vast improvement in the team's football some here keep talking about.

TheGame

What are you talking about? Ole rested players 2 games ago vs Sheff United and we lost. Tuanzebe played because Bailly got injured but rested Lindelof, Telles instead of Shaw, Matic and Pogba were in the middle but today is Fred and Scott, Martial played instead of Cavani. That is 5 different players to today.
Pogba has played about 11 games straight where VDB could have been used, Bruno is playing nearly all of the time as is AWB. We played the wrong team against Sheff Utd, that's why we lost. Players like Mata could have been more useful in unlocking them. I'm just worried we will burn out with lots of matches and the EL to come.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Pogba has played about 11 games straight where VDB could have been used, Bruno is playing nearly all of the time as is AWB. We played the wrong team against Sheff Utd, that's why we lost. Players like Mata could have been more useful in unlocking them. I'm just worried we will burn out with lots of matches and the EL to come.
Pogba is on the bench tonight though which means he is being rotated? Who do we play instead of AWB? Williams? Because he is no where near good enough to stand in for AWB unfortunately? You don't rest Bruno when we lack any kind of creativity without him, Mata is quite useless against low blocks as we have seen many times. We have some good depth in certain areas, but weak replacements in others unfortunately.

We will probably burn out but Ole should just play the back up players in the EL, because a strong league finish is much more important.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Ole really really prefers not losing over winning. Which is my eyes is a big problem. No manager for a title challenger should have that philosophy. When you play defensively against "bad" teams you won't score much goals, so a lucky goal at the other end really is a problem. As seen against Sheffield.

PoTMS

We are behind City and Pool in my eyes, in terms of squad. So 3rd is the logical position. But not far away from the top.
And that's the way it will always be under Ole. With him at the helm, we will never be better than Klopp or Guardiola's teams.

He'sRaldo

Can we give a manager MOTM?

Very good display from every player today, hence the credit has to go to the manager. Fine it was 10 (and then eventually 9) men, but it's not every time one can score 6+ goals vs 10 men.

Mainoldo

He’s got a night off.

But really positive note I hope he takes a look at that 4-3-3. Obviously this game is an anomaly but a really good training exercise to use it in a normal game.

el3mel

That was brilliant. Finally I saw United totally and fully getting advantage of the opposition getting a red and completely destroying them. He took the chance and kept on attacking to increase goals difference.

Brilliant business all around.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
I'll try to be the sober one again. Like I said in one of my previous posts, you're working on a project and there will be ups and downs. This one one of the ups and projects take time, take the downs in stride and we'll see you in a CL final soon.

Real Name

Ole really really prefers not losing over winning. Which is my eyes is a big problem. No manager for a title challenger should have that philosophy. When you play defensively against "bad" teams you won't score much goals, so a lucky goal at the other end really is a problem. As seen against Sheffield.
This aged well.

Status
Not open for further replies.