Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It will be but it shouldn't be. Chelsea are a very strong team and they have players as good as ours and their manager has a lot of experience and managed top clubs and is not a newbie to top level management unlike Lampard. With the squad they have they shouldn't be where they are now. They are going to fight for second place for sure.
if they go for it in the market again this summer they are nailed on for a challenge next year. Their signings are coming good, it’s nearly always after 6 months/a season players settle in and start showing their real value. It was fun to take the piss out of them for a few months but the ruthless change of Lampard should illustrate even further that Chelsea are not messing around and Roman is as interested and invested as ever. Our owners should take a leaf out their book and try and fix at least 50% of the issues with the first team in one summer instead of the endless rebuild and talk of a mythical war chest that never materialises

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So we got 3rd last season and now in 2nd place only because of Ole?
But under Jose we got 2nd place and won two Cups in spite of Jose and only due to DeGea?
See this is the issue with you guys.

I wasn't talking about last season, I wasn't talking about Mou's 1st season as well- hell, even if we hadn't won any trophy, I'd have said that that season we played some of our best football post Mou.

The debate started as people claimed Ole might not get the funds in the summer if we finish 2nd, like what happened to Mou. Your eyetest+ any and every underlying stat showed that we were in a 'false' position. And that's the point.

As far as last season is concerned, Bruno was the catalyst who changed the mentality around the team and helped us get 4th. If you really don't see the difference in the two cases, then there is no point in continuing any argument around Ole.

EDIT: If tomorrow, we have just 2 shots in the entire game, both of them from 30 yards out and both end up in the top corner resulting in a 2-0 win for us, I don't think anyone will claim it was because of Ole's tactical masterclass. Ditto on the other end of the pitch, if it's a GK's God-like reflexes saving games week in week out, I don't think the manager should be credited for that

Last edited:

Foxbatt

See this is the issue with you guys.

I wasn't talking about last season, I wasn't talking about Mou's 1st season as well- hell, even if we hadn't won any trophy, I'd have said that that season we played some of our best football post Mou.

The debate started as people claimed Ole might not get the funds in the summer if we finish 2nd, like what happened to Mou. Your eyetest+ any and every underlying stat showed that we were in a 'false' position. And that's the point.

As far as last season is concerned, Bruno was the catalyst who changed the mentality around the team and helped us get 4th. If you really don't see the difference in the two cases, then there is no point in continuing any argument around Ole.

EDIT: If tomorrow, we have just 2 shots in the entire game, both of them from 30 yards out and both end up in the top corner resulting in a 2-0 win for us, I don't think anyone will claim it was because of Ole's tactical masterclass. Ditto on the other end of the pitch, if it's a GK's God-like reflexes saving games week in week out, I don't think the manager should be credited for that
we are not in a false position at any time. Even under Jose. Even now. Great keepers are supposed to save everything they are supposed to save and save a few that they are not supposed to save. It is the same with strikers. Bruno under any manager will be a top hit. DeGea was a top hit long before Jose came to United. Both managers should be credited to get us what they got. Jose won us two Cups and a 2nd spot. Hopefully Ole can win us the EL and get us 2nd spot too. Actually if we win tomorrow with just two chances and they do not miss sitter after sitter it will be due to Ole's tactical masterclass.

FatherWolff

I do not think we have the players at our disposal to win against Chelsea. To many key players missing. This is pragmatic thinking and logical. Guess who is useless if we loose.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
That’s all subjective though isn’t it. Our strikers where also our top scorers. You could argue you can’t be called the 2nd best side in the league if your striker doesn’t score goals.
Liverpool last season, Firminho.

Robbie Boy

I do not think we have the players at our disposal to win against Chelsea. To many key players missing. This is pragmatic thinking and logical. Guess who is useless if we loose.
Getting the excuses in early. At least you can quote this if we lose. Funny, half the forum thinks the Chelsea squad is shite.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Getting the excuses in early. At least you can quote this if we lose. Funny, half the forum thinks the Chelsea squad is shite.
Do they? I remember the cafe melting down at how good their summer business was (maybe that was the other half).

Withnail

Yeah, plenty seem write them off and Tuchel has also been lumped into the 'hipster' manager category.
Before the season, I only remember people being worried about the strength of their squad and how it was now much stronger than ours.

Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember it was only once they didn't settle and Frank couldn't get a tune out of them ("the germans" in particular) it seemed like some people started to write them off and I started seeing comments about Werner not being suited to the PL etc.

Robbie Boy

I only remember people being worried about the strength of their squad and how it was now much stronger than ours.

Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember it was only once they didn't settle and Frank couldn't get a tune out of them ("the germans" in particular) it seemed like some people started to write them off and I started seeing comments about Werner not being suited to the PL etc.
They did worry. Then a-few weeks into the season Werner and Havertz were being written off as flops.

Last edited:

FatherWolff

Not really. It’s only rational thinking, and I think we will loose this one. We don’t have the players fit for it. Says more about half the forum than Chelsea, really. The only way we can nick this is being compact, but that is the wrong way, isn’t it?

Withnail

They did worry. Then a-few weeks into the season Werner and Havertz were being written off as flops.
Yeah that's what I thought.

But that's the usual recency/results bias and slagging off your rival stuff. Werner isn't in his prime yet and Havertz in particular is a scary prospect given he's only 21.

Robbie Boy

Not really. It’s only rational thinking, and I think we will loose this one. We don’t have the players fit for it. Says more about half the forum than Chelsea, really. The only way we can nick this is being compact, but that is the wrong way, isn’t it?
Weird take. I would be pretty pissed off with a defeat tbh. I would take a draw though as Chelsea have drastically improved since Tuchel came in. A win gives Chelsea real hope at catching up on us. Huge game tbh. And, what players are we missing?

Robbie Boy

Yeah that's what I thought.

But that's the usual recency/results bias and slagging off your rival stuff. Werner isn't in his prime yet and Havertz in particular is a scary prospect given he's only 21.
Yeah, of course it's silly.

Anyhow, if we win today it would be huge, but I also feel if we lose today it'll be huge for Chelsea. While I would be surprised with a win, we really need to avoid defeat. Lose today and our last five in all competitions reads W2 L1 D2. It's not really ideal especially given we have two tough games coming up in the next week.

FatherWolff

Weird take. I would be pretty pissed off with a defeat tbh. I would take a draw though as Chelsea have drastically improved since Tuchel came in. A win gives Chelsea real hope at catching up on us. Huge game tbh. And, what players are we missing?
With a full team, yes, very disappointed. But not now. They are on the new manager bounce alright. Pogba, Cavani, Mc’Tomney DVB, don’t we? Matic and Fred is not good enough for this.

Withnail

Yeah, of course it's silly.

Anyhow, if we win today it would be huge, but I also feel if we lose today it'll be huge for Chelsea. While I would be surprised with a win, we really need to avoid defeat. Lose today and our last five in all competitions reads W2 L1 D2. It's not really ideal especially given we have two tough games coming up in the next week.
Yeah we can't afford to lose but I'm not overly confident either given our midfield options. At this point I'd take a boring nil all with no further injuries.

Robbie Boy

With a full team, yes, very disappointed. But not now. They are on the new manager bounce alright. Pogba, Cavani, Mc’Tomney DVB, don’t we? Matic and Fred is not good enough for this.
DvB is probably going to fit and Ole has had to do without Pogba for a good chunk of his tenure. Cavani is a loss for sure as is McT considering his form. Fact is though, a win for either side would be huge. Given we to Palace during the week and the Etihad next Sunday, a defeat today could make things uncomfortable.

Robbie Boy

Yeah we can't afford to lose but I'm not overly confident either given our midfield options. At this point I'd take a boring nil all with no further injuries.
Well yeah I would take the draw. Doesn't change the fact that if we lose, it'll make things slightly uncomfortable.

Robbie Boy

God no, losing isn't an option at this stage.
If it wasn't for the fact that it'll really spur Chelsea on and we hadn't got City away next weekend, it might not be so bad. Add in a tricky away game to Palace on Wednesday and all of a sudden, today really has that massive game vibe feel to it.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I said could argue!!!

Flip side we don’t need to improve on Martial then.
I was trying to point out that when we say 'attack' I understand it as the sum output of the three or four players in advanced positions.

We would do very well and improve very much if we upgraded on Martial or he found his mojo, but I don't think that is our main problem. We are still a very unbalanced team.

There is a lot we could improve on.

Shark

@NotShark
While I understand that he's trying to emulate SAF in drawing against the bigger sides and beating the cannon fodder. It doesn't work when you lose games against Sheffield at home and draw to Brighton. Next season should definitely be make or break.

tomaldinho1

Let's just hope at the end of the season all these draws don't come back to bite us. Played for 0-0 and got 0-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.