Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

You do realize that "Ole trying to save his job" means "Ole trying to win games", right? Ole trying to save his job is a good thing. I don't know what kind of mental gymnastics you do to come to the conclusion that Ole trying to save his job is a bad thing.

Right now, neither Ole or Manchester United can win in this thread.

Rotating = Bad. Useless. Get rid.
Not rotating = Bad. Useless. Get rid.

Ole doesn't rotate the squad, but wins games in the PL and progresses in Europa = Useless. The players are exhausted and they're being run to the ground. He's just trying to save his job, thinking about himself over the team.,
Ole rotates the squad, and gets knocked out of the FA cup = Useless. He should never have rested the players for such an important game.

Every game for the past 5 months have been "must win".
We brought in Donny in the summer, and two youngsters. One was loaned out, the other arrived in January.
Pogba has been injured for a long time.
Bailly is (almost) as injury prone as Phil Jones, but still plays in the Europa League ahead of Lindelöf.
Tuanzebe has gotten a few chances, but properly failed to impress every time. Same with Donny (who's also been injured for a while).
Cavani has been more injured than fit.
Telles plays in Europa ahead of Shaw.
James have been played quite a lot lately, but Ole gets a ton of criticism for playing him at all.
Martial was dropped the very second Cavani got back (again), but being made of biscuits, Cavani got re-injured straight away.
Mata is Mata (and he's also been injured). He shouldn't be relied upon to win us games.
Bruno plays all games, but as this thread has made very clear, he's the only improvement Ole's made to the team. Who do we drop him for? And when?!
De Gea was dropped for Hendo, but Hendo subsequently made a massive howler, making Ole trust De Gea for another long while.
I realise him trying to save his job means a sacrifice on trying to improve our playing style. Like what LVG did after we got spanked by Leicester. We all hated his football too.

Skåre Willoch

Actually the inital argument was that Pep nor Pochetino would do a better than Ole, which doesnt necessarily includes winning the league. Which I think shows how blind some people are regarding Ole.

No one objective would even start a serious discussion on Ole vs Pep. Thats how far away they are. We can like Ole all we want but he doesn’t even sit at the same table that Pep, thinking otherwise borders on blind fanaticism.
This is a false narrative. Nobody is placing Ole at the same table as Pep.
People are pointing out that Pep would struggle to win anything with this team and the funding he'd get with us.
Saying Pep would struggle as well is not the same as saying Pep and Ole are equal. You know this, obviously, but it's less fun than saying "people are blind fanatics".

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Of course it’s an accumulation of minutes. Those extra 45 minutes could have been used to help us get through a quarter final tie that actually wasn’t dead in the water.

I appreciate the debate as it’s actually a debate and not someone thinking I’m attacking the manager but you are bringing up things that can be interpreted in anyway. There’s actually no right or wrong answer in what he has done but we can’t deny he doesn’t utilise his bench good enough for a Manchester United manager. Too many times in the last year we have seen players suffer burnout. I believe he has the 3rd best squad in the league but it you was to analyse how he gives out minutes (maybe someone can do that) I wouldn’t be surprised if he users out squad lesser than a peak Klopp who really only had a strong 11.
But the bolder is what I’m arguing against, after the recent run of must win matches against very strong opposition brinonwkuld have been left out yesterday even if he played no minutes against sociedad.

Ole rotated our strongest team out for the fa cup, va de Beek had his chance, cup qf playing where he wants and he blew it, the players chosen instead of our first eleven showed they couldn’t be trusted as much, which IMO justifies Oles decision not to use them in the must win games lately

SAFMUTD

This is a false narrative. Nobody is placing Ole at the same table as Pep.
People are pointing out that Pep would struggle to win anything with this team and the funding he'd get with us.
Saying Pep would struggle as well is not the same as saying Pep and Ole are equal. You know this, obviously, but it's less fun than saying "people are blind fanatics".
Did you bother to read the initial discussion post before assuming I just decided is more fun "blind fanatics"? my guess is not.

But hey its easier jumping to conclusions without actually reading the whole discussion right?

Skåre Willoch

I realise him trying to save his job means a sacrifice on trying to improve our playing style. Like what LVG did after we got spanked by Leicester. We all hated his football too.
That sacrifice is just that. A sacrifice. We'd sacrifice our league position to please your tastebuds. Would you be happy sacrificing top 4 for an "improved playing style"?
That would be just as bad for the club as it would be for Ole.

Skåre Willoch

Did you bother to read the initial discussion post before assuming I just decided is more fun "blind fanatics"? my guess is not.

But hey its easier jumping to conclusions without actually reading the whole discussion right?
I did indeed. I don't see anyone placing Ole at the same table as Pep anywhere.
And it's silly and daft to call optimists "blind fanatics" when pointing out certain aspects of our club, Ole's abilities, and Pep's management history.

I don't believe Pep would do much better with the squad we have right now. I guess I'm a blind fanatic. You believe he would? I guess you're just a delusional and entitled hater.

SAFMUTD

That sacrifice is just that. A sacrifice. We'd sacrifice our league position to please your tastebuds. Would you be happy sacrificing top 4 for an "improved playing style"?
That would be just as bad for the club as it would be for Ole.
It depends on weather that improved playing style is progressive which would eventually get us closer to titles, such as Klopp did with Liverpool or if its just beautiful football for the sake of it like Bielsa's who we all know wont win a thing.

Right now cementing our top 4 position by sacrificing style (which to be clear I dont think we are, we are just incapable of playing better under current management) feels as stagnation. Even if we finish second there's not much optimism that next year we will suddenly click and actually compete for big titles.

Its like Mourinho's kind of football, yeah we got a distant second but nobody would assure us next year we will, nevermind win the title, get second again.

Mainoldo

But the bolder is what I’m arguing against, after the recent run of must win matches against very strong opposition brinonwkuld have been left out yesterday even if he played no minutes against sociedad.

Ole rotated our strongest team out for the fa cup, va de Beek had his chance, cup qf playing where he wants and he blew it, the players chosen instead of our first eleven showed they couldn’t be trusted as much, which IMO justifies Oles decision not to use them in the must win games lately
Come on now. He didn’t blow it he just doesn’t play often enough. He confidence has decreased as the season has gone on. If he played that game in October he would have delivered a different performance. These players aren’t robots. I no nothing about you but if you have played football you should be able to relate to confidence.

VBD is a very talented and respected football amongst the Dutch camp. He probably believes he is better than Bruno but also knows the manager will not pick him over Bruno no matter what he does. This affects your ability to perform for the team. Jesse Lingard hinted at the samething. Even though I’m sure we both agree Bruno is a far better player I’m sure if Lingard played over the weekend we wouldn’t have got the same West Ham performance he delivered.

That’s not a level thing either because he’s not improved at West Ham he’s just performing to the level he is as a player.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
- Rested Bruno before international break vs Leicester in a quarter final, had 2 defensive CMs on the pitch up until the 85th minute when we were already 3-1 down.
International break is not two weeks break in a beach, they are high level wc qualifiers. 2cm is how we play and used to play. It worked in the previous must win games, we
Run out of steam.

- Brought Dan James off for Shaw vs Milan first leg, fecked with the team shape and was all Milan after that point, conceded late goal.
I seen it differently but can’t remember it enough to argue agaisnt

- Played 2 defensive midfielders vs Crystal Palace for the entire game, finished 0-0
So? Have other teams failed to score also? We drew 0-0 what a brain fart

- Made one sub in the 79th minute vs Chelsea finishing 0-0 despite playing poorly, Chelsea made 3, on the 45th, 65th, 78th.
Again, so? Do you know who was on the bench that day that could have changed the game? Let me guess you’d suggest changing the shape and then when we conced you’d blame Ole for changing the shape (milan

- Brought Diallo on for his Debut vs Sociedad and played him out of position on the left wing.
Who played full backs that game? Diallo is new and young, he doesn’t need the pressure of defensive duties too at the moment, the suggestions of replacing James with him at the moment don’t make sense to me at the moment, each to their

- Took Greenwood off for Tuanzebe vs Everton without instructing anyone to cover the right wing, the space was exploited and we conceded late again.
how do you know no one was instructed to Cover
This is all since the 6th of Feb, then you have the already mentioned howler of him keeping Fred on vs PSG and effectively costing the club CL qualification.

These are hardly brain farts and you’re really reaching just to criticise imo, their tactical decisions people may disagree on. Brain farts... no.
@b82REZ just for you

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Seeing as you love to hound people over posts they haven't replied to I just found it comical.
Oh right, I remember the ‘hounding’ I give by asking one poster why they didn’t reply, what others are there

b82REZ

Oh right, I remember the ‘hounding’ I give by asking one poster why they didn’t reply, what others are there
I have no idea, you've done it to me and I'm sure if I could be arsed I could find plenty more in this thread alone.

Skåre Willoch

It depends on weather that improved playing style is progressive which would eventually get us closer to titles, such as Klopp did with Liverpool or if its just beautiful football for the sake of it like Bielsa's who we all know wont win a thing.

Right now cementing our top 4 position by sacrificing style (which to be clear I dont think we are, we are just incapable of playing better under current management) feels as stagnation. Even if we finish second there's not much optimism that next year we will suddenly click and actually compete for big titles.

Its like Mourinho's kind of football, yeah we got a distant second but nobody would assure us next year we will, nevermind win the title, get second again.
So you would indeed sacrifice top 4 this year, if we could potentially be closer to the title next year? Why not have both 2nd this year and still be closer to the title next year? I believe we can do both, and don't really see the similarities to Mourinho at all. But again, I'm just a blind fanatic.

Also, Klopp didn't really sacrifice anything, did he? He's been lauded here for building and progressing since day 1, albeit a bit slow in the beginning. Which is fully comparable to what is happening at Man United right now.
And no, before you say I'm comparing Klopp and Ole's abilities, I'm not. I'm merely pointing out how the circumstances/progress can be viewed as similar for the two.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Tl
Come on now. He didn’t blow it he just doesn’t play often enough. He confidence has decreased as the season has gone on. If he played that game in October he would have delivered a different performance. These players aren’t robots. I no nothing about you but if you have played football you should be able to relate to confidence.

VBD is a very talented and respected football amongst the Dutch camp. He probably believes he is better than Bruno but also knows the manager will not pick him over Bruno no matter what he does. This affects your ability to perform for the team. Jesse Lingard hinted at the samething. Even though I’m sure we both agree Bruno is a far better player I’m sure if Lingard played over the weekend we wouldn’t have got the same West Ham performance he delivered.

That’s not a level thing either because he’s not improved at West Ham he’s just performing to the level he is as a player.
You’re agreeing with me ain’t you? Van de Beek is better than he showed on the weekend. Yeah his confidence is low and he may be better with a run of games but that game was there for him, go looking for the ball, be aggressive, take the game and move the ball. He just looked weak and went out with a whimper. Which like unsaid justifies oles decision to not play him in the important games

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Look at the reaction to us losing one game and people wonder why Ole tries to play his best team as much as possible. :lol:

SAFMUTD

I did indeed. I don't see anyone placing Ole at the same table as Pep anywhere.
And it's silly and daft to call optimists "blind fanatics" when pointing out certain aspects of our club, Ole's abilities, and Pep's management history.

I don't believe Pep would do much better with the squad we have right now. I guess I'm a blind fanatic. You believe he would? I guess you're just a delusional and entitled hater.
Im certain Pep would do better than Ole not only with this squad but with pretty much any squad.

Hypothetically if we were given the choice of choosing between Pep or Ole who do you think the great majority of fans would choose?

What you are arguing indirectly is that not even one of the greatest managers in football history would do much better than Ole, does that sound objective to you? I can understand people debating Pochetino or Rodgers. But no people want to take it as far as Pep and Klopp.

I've seen some posters, and not joking here, even saying that Sir Alex wouldn't have done a better job because the Glazzers or whatever. I guess those people ignore the fact that Sir Alex won everything that there's to win while under the Glazzers.

Those arguments do seem like blind fanatism to me.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
your u
I have no idea, you've done it to me and I'm sure if I could be arsed I could find plenty more in this thread alone.
Your username doesn’t stand out to me but I do remember laughing at the cartwheel fella ignoring a post that absolutely rinsed his facts that he conveniently ignored. Ignoring made up ‘brain farts’ is slightly different in my view but maybe not in someone else’s so fair enough

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That would require reading through your posts and I'm not in a masochistic mood this afternoon.

I think you know as well as I do you've done it.
As I’ve said yes, the cartwheel guy, you, I can’t remember ever replying to you or seeing your name before

and I’d like to see the hounding I have you tbh :lol:

SAFMUTD

So you would indeed sacrifice top 4 this year, if we could potentially be closer to the title next year? Why not have both 2nd this year and still be closer to the title next year? I believe we can do both, and don't really see the similarities to Mourinho at all. But again, I'm just a blind fanatic.
Well of course I would want to do both, but when asked if I would take this one or that one usually is not valid to say "I'd take both". Is a wether question where you are asked to sacrifice one thing to get the other.

Regarding the blind fanatic drop the drama, it lowers the discussion level.

Also, Klopp didn't really sacrifice anything, did he? He's been lauded here for building and progressing since day 1, albeit a bit slow in the beginning. Which is fully comparable to what is happening at Man United right now.
And no, before you say I'm comparing Klopp and Ole's abilities, I'm not. I'm merely pointing out how the circumstances/progress can be viewed as similar for the two.
I dont actually think any manager sacrifices anything, thats a poor man's argument that paints the manager as a martir sacrificing himself for a higher purpose or whatever.

I actually think all managers, excluding the ones from relegation fight teams, try to develop the best football they can play to get to their goals. As I said in the previous reply I dont think Ole is sacrificing style for results I think he is just incapable of making this team play better.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Either way he'd have winning it soon or well on our way. He's one of the managerial greats FFS. Next we'll have people arghing that Sir Alex wouldn't have done any better than Ole too. It's like Klopp at Liverpool. Didn't win it quickly but everyone willing to pay attention to performances could see the immense progress they were making. That's what top managers do.
I'm not sure why are you arguing who is better manager here FFS, anyone know Pep is top manager and much better. But the point you are missing is critical and that is any manager even if you are proven, unproven, world class or not, they still need time and if the board doesn't the support the manager and delaying the progress then the manager will need more time. If the only way to solve all these problems are by hiring someone as good as Pep or Klopp then we are fecked because there is no one right now can come anywhere near their level.

Last edited:

Siorac

Football fans love to talk about the future with so much certainty. Everything is laid out so why bother watching. Except ask a fan to predict the top four every season and most will get it wrong. Hell, ask one to pick 5 winners from the next round of matches and most of them will mess it up.

Football is unpredictable
Football might be unpredictable but United over the past 8 years have been nothing but predictable. 6 out of 7 seasons we finished with something between 64 and 70 points, with one season as an outlier where our results significantly exceeded the quality of the performances, much like this season. It's pretty much our level and there's very little to suggest it's about to change for the foreseeable future. Far more likely is that we'll be plodding along as always, buying players who turn out be underwhelming and fighting for top 4 with points totals around 70.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Really got under your skin this didn't it?

At least now you recognise your hypocrisy.
I just find it funny and I’ve got five minutes. I find it funny you remembered that enough to bring it back up, obviously didn’t get under your skin :yawn:

b82REZ

I just find it funny and I’ve got five minutes. I find it funny you remembered that enough to bring it back up, obviously didn’t get under your skin :yawn:
I just have a very good memory.

Especially as I've since seen you do it to other posters, but conveniently ignore posts when it suits you.

Skåre Willoch

Im certain Pep would do better than Ole not only with this squad but with pretty much any squad.

Hypothetically if we were given the choice of choosing between Pep or Ole who do you think the great majority of fans would choose?

What you are arguing indirectly is that not even one of the greatest managers in football history would do much better than Ole, does that sound objective to you? I can understand people debating Pochetino or Rodgers. But no people want to take it as far as Pep and Klopp.

I've seen some posters, and not joking here, even saying that Sir Alex wouldn't have done a better job because the Glazzers or whatever. I guess those people ignore the fact that Sir Alex won everything that there's to win while under the Glazzers.

Those arguments do seem like blind fanatism to me.
As people have pointed out (a lot) earlier, Pep actually didn't do any better with arguably a much better squad when he first came to the PL. Because the squad wasn't built for his philosophy and style. Neither is our squad. If the question is "Would Pep have done better after two and a half years of building his own squad with the same funds and backing as he had with City?" the answer is yes. Yes, he would have.

Paul_Scholes18

Having calmed myself down I can understand Ole to a degree.

Just think he should have made changes before 2-1 to them. He is always too late with subs.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I just have a very good memory.

Especially as I've since seen you do it to other posters, but conveniently ignore posts when it suits you.
You’re still making things up without backing it up but ok ok, I’ve had enough now, let’s be friends

AgentSmith

As people have pointed out (a lot) earlier, Pep actually didn't do any better with arguably a much better squad when he first came to the PL. Because the squad wasn't built for his philosophy and style. Neither is our squad. If the question is "Would Pep have done better after two and a half years of building his own squad with the same funds and backing as he had with City?" the answer is yes. Yes, he would have.
Surely the question is whether Pep would have done better with this current United squad if he’d been in charge of them for 2.5 years?

SAFMUTD

Was the question limited to one season or something? If so my mistake, I understanded it as Pep wouldn't have done a better job than Ole, such as wouldn't have done a better job than him in the last 2 and a half years after spending 300M. Which I think is safe to say yes he would have.

Finally we agree, I think it was misunderstanding thats all.

Skåre Willoch

Well of course I would want to do both, but when asked if I would take this one or that one usually is not valid to say "I'd take both". Is a wether question where you are asked to sacrifice one thing to get the other.

Regarding the blind fanatic drop the drama, it lowers the discussion level.
Alright, fair enough. I personally wouldn't sacrifice top 4, even if it meant being closer to the title next year. If it meant "winning the league", sure. We're closer than we've been in years right now, and I don't see why it can't improve further next year.

As for the drama, just stop with the name calling to begin with. That's when the lowering begins in the first place.

I dont actually think any manager sacrifices anything, thats a poor man's argument that paints the manager as a martir sacrificing himself for a higher purpose or whatever.

I actually think all managers, excluding the ones from relegation fight teams, try to develop the best football they can play to get to their goals. As I said in the previous reply I dont think Ole is sacrificing style for results I think he is just incapable of making this team play better.
I agree with you on the sacrifice part, that was originally an answer to Mainoldo. I don't think managers sacrifice anything most of the time either, most stay true to their beliefs even if it means losing their job.

In regards to Ole, we have played better football for extended periods several times. He's shown he is very much capable of making this team play better. With better depth and a higher floor, we'd be able to sustain those spells for longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.