Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halftrack

Two points dropped because of a shitty team selection and hesitant subbing. Leeds had nothing all game, we just lacked a bit of quality in the final third to play off their press. Instead, James gets rewarded with 75 mins...
9 of these 11 players started when we beat them 6-2 last time. Martial's injured, so Greenwood took his spot this time around, and Henderson has displaced de Gea.

Last edited:

Dinghy

10 of these 11 players started when we beat them 6-2 last time. Martial's injured, so Greenwood took his spot this time around.
They weren't ever gonna be play that naive this time around. Everyone knows McT, Fred and James can't cope with being pressed at all, and it was obvious early in the game that we needed to make changes to win it as the passing was shite. At least two out of these should have been on the bench, or subbed off way earlier.

Fahad Jawaid

This is why I am not completely on board with Ole and it makes me feel that we are never going to win the league with him. I think this is 8th time we had a 0-0 draw this season and the worse part is, plenty of them were avoidable if we had played our best players, or if we had made the changes at half time.

But Ole makes these stupid changes at 75 odd minutes, sometimes even 85+ plus minutes, which does not give enough time for the subs to act.

He needs to know that at a club like Utd we are more than happy to lose 3-2 rather than draw 0-0. Specially when a club is in a title race, 1 win and 1 loss is better than 2 draws. I think this stupid away run has got to the head of Ole.

Lastly starting Mcfred plus James and with half injured Rashford would never result in a win against any half decent side. I think by now he should has figured out you can't sustain any kind of pressure with players who can't keep hold of the ball, that's why we had the most joy after project restart, when our team consisted of players which are good on the ball, and not players whose second touch is a tackle (James).

Last edited:

90 + 5min

Good coachning once again. Put a team that didn’t Lose against ManCity, Liverpool and Chelsea under constant pressure but without real threat. Pleased even if We didn’t won. Could have introduced Cavani little earlier.

90 + 5min

This is why I am not completely on board with Ole and it makes me feel that we are never going to win the league with him. I think this is 8th time we had a 0-0 draw this season and the worse part is, plenty of them were avoidable if we had played our best players, or if we had made the changes at half time.

But Ole makes these stupid changes at 75 odd minutes, sometimes even 85+ plus minutes, which does not give enough time for the subs to act.

He needs to know that at a club like Utd we are more than happy to lose 3-2 rather than draw 0-0. Specially when a club is in a title race, 1 win and 1 loss is better than 2 draws. I think this stupid away run has got to the head of Ole.
He knows the club as much or even better then most of fans. I rather draw 0-0. Better then losing 3-2.

Halftrack

They weren't ever gonna be play that naive this time around. Everyone knows McT, Fred and James can't cope with being pressed at all, and it was obvious early in the game that we needed to make changes to win it as the passing was shite. At least two out of these should have been on the bench, or subbed off way earlier.
I think the team selection was fine, but it clearly didn't work, and he should have started making subs earlier.

Based on his pre-match comments, he clearly didn't expect Leeds to be as negative as they were. These guys went all-out against City, they've shown that they have no respect for anyone, only to come out and play for a draw against us. I can understand not expecting that, but that's just all the more reason to make changes.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yet we have scored more goals from subs than any other team this season. It isn’t close either from what I recall.

Ole isn’t perfect but our hesitancy to shoot today was the problem, Bruno, James, Rashford all could have done better.

AshRK

I think the team selection was fine, but it clearly didn't work, and he should have started making subs earlier.

Based on his pre-match comments, he clearly didn't expect Leeds to be as negative as they were. These guys went all-out against City, they've shown that they have no respect for anyone, only to come out and play for a draw against us. I can understand not expecting that, but that's just all the more reason to make changes.
Leeds had more possession with all other top 6 minus city who they were playing with 10 men but today we had 56% possession and dominated the ball. I feel this whole myth that we like to sit back is a joke.

rotherham_red

I thought we were fine today, for the most part. Similar to the Arsenal away game, the good approach play was let down by our forwards not turning up.

Overall 7/10

Halftrack

Leeds had more possession with all other top 6 minus city who they were playing with 10 men but today we had 56% possession and dominated the ball. I feel this whole myth that we like to sit back is a joke.
Ole had no reason to expect them to be set up specifically to nullify us and play for a draw, because they've never done that to anyone before. He clearly rattled Biesla last time around.

rotherham_red

Lastly starting Mcfred plus James and with half injured Rashford would never result in a win against any half decent side. I think by now he should has figured out you can't sustain any kind of pressure with players who can't keep hold of the ball, that's why we had the most joy after project restart, when our team consisted of players which are good on the ball, and not players whose second touch is a tackle (James).
McFred was a massive reason why Leeds had almost no foothold in the game at all.

We lost 3-2 at Leipzig in November, I didn't see many happy faces round here that night, did you?

James was poor but considering we battered them the last time out with him in the team and we reasonably expected them to play a similar way, I can understand why we needed him for the counter press against them. Pogba was the alternative and we can see in his short cameo why he wasn't chosen to start. Rashford was our only option too, considering Amad played against Chelsea on Friday for the u23s.

AshRK

Ole had no reason to expect them to be set up specifically to nullify us and play for a draw, because they've never done that to anyone before. He clearly rattled Biesla last time around.
And that has been the trend with most of the big 6 we have faced. Other teams are conservative while facing us.

Fahad Jawaid

He knows the club as much or even better then most of fans. I rather draw 0-0. Better then losing 3-2.
Well, we will never win the league if he does not start to act brave as a coach. Remember Fergie we used to have 3, sometimes 4 strikers in the last 20 minutes, whereas with him, its always one striker in one out. Its like nobody gave him the memo that he can sub midfielders/defenders for strikers.

Lastly if he knew the club, he would have known that we give it all and the other team has to earn their 0-0 draw with us. We would be camped in their half with chances galore or their keeper having the game of their life (Friedal remember). Today I felt we would be lucky to get a shot on target let alone score with the starting eleven.

Jezpeza

Frustrating match. Didnt do much wrong, just no cutting edge. Fred is always an empty shirt against a team set up like leeds, and team selection with a mind on Thursday i think, saving cavani and pogba. You dont win them all and leeds arent a pushover. Second place is sewn up barring a total and utter collapse from us so all eyes on the europa now.

Fahad Jawaid

Yet we have scored more goals from subs than any other team this season. It isn’t close either from what I recall.

Ole isn’t perfect but our hesitancy to shoot today was the problem, Bruno, James, Rashford all could have done better.
We didn't create anything today, we barely had any chances, and that was because we had players in the final third like Rashford (injured) and James (could not control the pass) and Mcfred all they can do is pass backwards and sideways.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Choosing Daniel James from the start was always not going to work.

He knows it and is trying to sneak a goal without using the Cavani's or Pogbas.

KennyBurner

This game is precisely why Ole will never be good enough. He just never wants the win.

James no matter what he provides tactically should never start when we have better players available. Why do we always have to adjust to inferior opponents? Its sickening how this is always the case with us. Dull game that we could have won if we played Pogba from the start. Look at how many silly games weve drawn over the season. Just fast forward to the end our season is over.

AshRK

Never seen a journalist with so much agenda against a manager.

Paul_Scholes18

Should have played Cavani and Pogba after at least 60 minutes. Dan James did not work and also Fred and Mctominay is overkill in the easier games.

Rest players for Europe is fine though and Pogba might not be fully fit. Still he should have been on when it clearly did not work without him.

RedDevilzFox

Draw is not the worst result but fingers crossed next season is a better start or else knives will be out.

Second spot this year is keeping the barbarians at the gate, but that won't last if Ole keeps putting out substandard football and sketchy in-game management.

Well, we will never win the league if he does not start to act brave as a coach. Remember Fergie we used to have 3, sometimes 4 strikers in the last 20 minutes, whereas with him, its always one striker in one out. Its like nobody gave him the memo that he can sub midfielders/defenders for strikers.

Lastly if he knew the club, he would have known that we give it all and the other team has to earn their 0-0 draw with us. We would be camped in their half with chances galore or their keeper having the game of their life (Friedal remember). Today I felt we would be lucky to get a shot on target let alone score with the starting eleven.
Our draw record is fine, we have 10 IIRC. It's the stupid losses against lower table sides that screw us over. In 10/11 we had 11 draws and finished 1st, and in 11/12 we had 5 and finishes 2d. Not that that proves anything, but having the tactical know how to safe 0-0 is not a problem in itself as long as we manage get points agaianst significantly weaker opponents. There's a time and place for throwing everything at our opponents, today wasn't one of them. But yeah, if we don't improve attacking wise during next season it will start to become a problem.

rotherham_red

This game is precisely why Ole will never be good enough. He just never wants the win.

James no matter what he provides tactically should never start when we have better players available. Why do we always have to adjust to inferior opponents? Its sickening how this is always the case with us. Dull game that we could have won if we played Pogba from the start. Look at how many silly games weve drawn over the season. Just fast forward to the end our season is over.
Seriously, what game were you watching? We nullified Leeds at home to the extent that they were feeding on scraps and were the only team actually pressing for the win. Leeds, meanwhile brought off their marauding winger and put on a CB, while we took off a defensive midfielder for an attacker.

James did his job off the ball. So too did McFred. We didn't win today because our attackers did not turn up. Literally nothing else.

MattofManchester

Good lord, Ole. That was awful.

Says we need to pressure City and win every game, but the game management says otherwise.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Cavani and VDB coming on at 83 and 90 were the joke of the week. Seriously though, he just don't fancy any subs. It was a wonderful opportunity to put some pressure on City and they won't take any risks next week. They can easily rest players in epl for Europe and still win the epl easily.

Chairman Steve

Doesnt Dunc have to write hit pieces against Spurs following Joses dismissal this week? How did he find time to write about us?

Fahad Jawaid

This might be the most bonkers thing I've ever read on here.
Well if you try to understand the context its not wrong, we could act frightened and make half hearted changes only in 10 minutes just to show people we tried and get two draws and get 2 points. Whereas we throw caution to the wind and really go for it and sometimes get sucker punched and lose, the other time we win, therefore we get 3 points (in 2 matches) as compared to 2 points being extra cautious. I know which side I would prefer to watch and which side is more likely to get wins.

why do you think we used to win soo many matches late with SAF, because we used to make positive changes with taking defenders and midfielders off for strikers and having 2 to 3 strikers on sometimes, whereas now its all like with like changes and normally those done around 75+ minutes and sometimes the likes of VDB getting 2 minutes like today. Where is the hunger and desire to win matches, I frankly don't see it and I see our manager as a coward who is scared to lose first and foremost rather than trying to win.

matsdf

Good game from us today, had full controll. Just too bad Bruno missed a sitter and the forwards didn't turn up.

Eriku

Well if you try to understand the context its not wrong, we could act frightened and make half hearted changes only in 10 minutes just to show people we tried and get two draws and get 2 points. Whereas we throw caution to the wind and really go for it and sometimes get sucker punched and lose, the other time we win, therefore we get 3 points (in 2 matches) as compared to 2 points being extra cautious. I know which side I would prefer to watch and which side is more likely to get wins.

why do you think we used to win soo many matches late with SAF, because we used to make positive changes with taking defenders and midfielders off for strikers and having 2 to 3 strikers on sometimes, whereas now its all like with like changes and normally those done around 75+ minutes and sometimes the likes of VDB getting 2 minutes like today. Where is the hunger and desire to win matches, I frankly don't see it and I see our manager as a coward who is scared to lose first and foremost rather than trying to win.
You know we’re the comeback kings and top scorers in the later stages of matches, right?

Christ...

Status
Not open for further replies.