Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriac

Don't forget resting Bruno before an international break for our fa cup quarterfinal loss. He did well in the league but terrible in all the cups though maybe par for the course in the league cup.
You know that international break doesn't mean it's a break for players like Bruno, right? They are still gonna play 2-3 matches in that "break"-period.

Y'all complain he doesn't trust the bench to rotate any of the players, then complain he doesn't play the main players if we lose.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
You know that international break doesn't mean it's a break for players like Bruno, right? They are still gonna play 2-3 matches in that "break"-period.

Y'all complain he doesn't trust the bench to rotate any of the players, then complain he doesn't play the main players if we lose.
It's a fa cup quarterfinal. There are other times to rotate.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He has two objectives next season to keep his job for me.

1. He must get top 4 again as it's a basic requirement of the job and also not be a million miles behind 1st place. Probably within 5 to 10pts max I'd say.

2. He simply has to win something too. 4 years without a trophy isn't all on him but it's too long for a club of our size. Winning the PL and CL aren't going to be easy so one of the cups is definitely a must for him.

If he fails at either of those two requirements then the time will come to thank him for steadying the ship and pass the mantle to somebody else for sure. No idea who though.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's a fa cup quarterfinal. There are other times to rotate.
Easy to say with hindsight. But we were 1 point ahead of Leicester in 2nd at that time. Also, the previous 5 games leading up to it were Palace, City, AC Milan, WHU, AC Milan. Now where do you choose to rest? And note all these games were over a 2.5 week frame

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Easy to say with hindsight. But we were 1 point ahead of Leicester in 2nd at that time. Also, the previous 5 games leading up to it were Palace, City, AC Milan, WHU, AC Milan. Now where do you choose to rest? And note all these games were over a 2.5 week frame
Rest him in the 5 games preceding that run. This is the same manager that started Bruno in the second leg when we were 4-0 up. He also rested Shaw for that game, threw in matic, vdb and martial. Go look at the matchday thread and see the comments before the game started.

anant

Rest him in the 5 games preceding that run. This is the same manager that started Bruno in the second leg when we were 4-0 up. He also rested Shaw for that game, threw in matic, vdb and martial. Go look at the matchday thread and see the comments before the game started.
I doubt a rest then that long ago would have made any difference. These were all incredibly draining games not just physically but mentally as well.

As far as playing 2nd team is concerned, I think people really need to realize that our 2nd team, that people were hoping for isn't good enough to play for EL games, even if you have a 4-0 lead. If you recall the 2nd leg, RS could have been 2 up inside 20 mins - they had a pen and missed plenty of chances. Play your 2nd team and fall 2 behind and it will become a nervy affair

BFernandes

My concern with Ole is I haven't really seen him resolve and overcome a problem. Our awful form at home wasn't just the result of a lack of pre-season. It was an issue that persisted all season. Our susceptibility at set-pieces. Something that plagued us throughout the season and cost us in the final. Against a team that had one of the lowest percentages across the top 5 leagues for headed goals scored.

He wasn't able to get a handle on either of the above problems.

Our record away from home, and our ability to overturn losses into wins is commendable, but the vast majority of those wins came about not by making and ringing any subs/ tactical changes.

I've yet to see him really get on top of a problem if it's not going well.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I doubt a rest then that long ago would have made any difference. These were all incredibly draining games not just physically but mentally as well.

As far as playing 2nd team is concerned, I think people really need to realize that our 2nd team, that people were hoping for isn't good enough to play for EL games, even if you have a 4-0 lead. If you recall the 2nd leg, RS could have been 2 up inside 20 mins - they had a pen and missed plenty of chances. Play your 2nd team and fall 2 behind and it will become a nervy affair
He doesn’t ever have to play a whole second team. That’s the problem. Our whole identity with rotation is either playing a really weak second team with no chemistry or match fitness that still features a few of the same overworked first teamers or just the same 11 over and over. You don’t have to make wholesale changes to rotate certain players out for only 4/5 games a season. It’s been turned into this kind of taboo at this stage when it should just be common sense to rest your best players occasionally and not just all at the same time early in the cups/dead rubbers. It’s later in the season where it’s needed most. Ole got that dead wrong this season and needs to majorly improve that aspect of his management. So what if the players always want to play. It’s his call. Let someone else have a shot

anant

My concern with Ole is I haven't really seen him resolve and overcome a problem. Our awful form at home wasn't just the result of a lack of pre-season. It was an issue that persisted all season. Our susceptibility at set-pieces. Something that plagued us throughout the season and cost us in the final. Against a team that had one of the lowest percentages across the top 5 leagues for headed goals scored.

He wasn't able to get a handle on either of the above problems.

Our record away from home, and our ability to overturn losses into wins is commendable, but the vast majority of those wins came about not by making and ringing any subs/ tactical changes.

I've yet to see him really get on top of a problem if it's not going well.
You sure about that? I believe our subs have scored the most number of goals in the league this season.

BFernandes

Did you watch the game? Did they score a header?

So, his original plan working out is somehow a bad thing?
Hard a brain fart there. However the point still stands. They did us on a set-piece. The same phase of play that we have struggled on for the entire season. So what's your point exactly?

As for the original plan working, do you deliberately wash over a point to suit your narrative? That wasn't my point and you know it. So let me spell it out for you. He seems completely unable to a stem a tide when it's going against us.

When his first 11 haven't been able to get the job done, how many times has he rung the changes and it's had any kind of sizeable impact? That's even if he does it at all, of course. Cavani against Southampton of course, but whenever we've really needed to turn something around (such as Turkey away, Europa final) he's not been able to conjure anything up.

justsomebloke

Hard a brain fart there. However the point still stands. They did us on a set-piece. The same phase of play that we have struggled on for the entire season. So what's your point exactly?

As for the original plan working, do you deliberately wash over a point to suit your narrative? That wasn't my point and you know it. So let me spell it out for you as you. He seems completely unable to a stem a tide when it's going against us.

When his first 11 haven't been able to get the job done, how many times has he rung the changes and it's had any kind of sizeable impact? That's even if he does it at all, of course.
How can the manager of a team that has by far the best record in the league in matches where the opposition scores first be considered "completely unable to stem a tide when it's going against us"?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Our second team consists of an above average gk, two decent CBS, an above average left back And a bunch of players Ole either signed or gave new contracts to (matic, Mata, vdb, James, diallo) . You're saying they're not good enough, and I'm saying either way the blame falls on Ole. The dvb thing being a prime example, the player was not given a fair chance to succeed at all, judging him on 5 minute cameos and one start every few months is ridiculous. Look at James for example, most would say he's not good enough but at least he's been given a fair chance. The result of that is he knows his limits and his role in the team , and that helps the entire squad.

anant

He doesn’t ever have to play a whole second team. That’s the problem. Our whole identity with rotation is either playing a really weak second team with no chemistry or match fitness that still features a few of the same overworked first teamers or just the same 11 over and over. You don’t have to make wholesale changes to rotate certain players out for only 4/5 games a season. It’s been turned into this kind of taboo at this stage when it should just be common sense to rest your best players occasionally and not all at the same time early in the cups. It’s later in the season where it’s needed most.
But he did make 4/5 changes vs Sociedad. Post that, the fixture list meant you can't really rotate as much because of the kind of games we were playing.

People talk about us overplaying Rashford, but Salah has played more minutes than him this season, despite them having played significantly lesser games than us. As far as Bruno is concerned, we have seen the record when he isn't playing - I dont think that point is even up for debate, and thats the reason why we need him in most games

justsomebloke

This whole discussion is being waged with far too much certainty. Whether a certain player plays too much, or how much a team should be rotated, isn't something you can really reliably judge from the outside or in general terms I think. I would have expected, and liked, a more regular rotation, but on the other hand the results with the other approach seem to justify it. It sort of feels integral to what this team currently is, for better or worse. So this is one area where I'm prepared to assume the manager knows what he's doing.

anant

Our second team consists of an above average gk, two decent CBS, an above average left back And a bunch of players Ole either signed or gave new contracts to (matic, Mata, vdb, James, diallo) . You're saying they're not good enough, and I'm saying either way the blame falls on Ole. The dvb thing being a prime example, the player was not given a fair chance to succeed at all, judging him on 5 minute cameos and one start every few months is ridiculous. Look at James for example, most would say he's not good enough but at least he's been given a fair chance. The result of that is he knows his limits and his role in the team , and that helps the entire squad.
Giving a player contract extension does not mean they are expected to just beat any decent side. They are backup for a reason Ole giving them contract extension was more likely due to us having more pressing needs elsewhere rather than them being top class players now.

Look, I love Mata, Diallo, and all but Mata and Matic have lost their legs, Diallo is too young to be given a 90 min run around, VDB is yet to settle and I can go on. BTW, Mata was on personal leave at this time, I believe VDB was injured and same for Bailly as well(?). The 2 CBs you're talking about - one of them has had a poor season, and the other, if fit, will give either a 2/10 performance or an 8/10 How can you trust such a CB? The side has a lot more depth in terms of quality now, but not many of these players are proper game-changers

If you really believe these players are good enough, then would you say that with a different manager - we'd have won the league this season? What about if we just sack Ole and sign a different manager - we win the league?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
But he did make 4/5 changes vs Sociedad. Post that, the fixture list meant you can't really rotate as much because of the kind of games we were playing.

People talk about us overplaying Rashford, but Salah has played more minutes than him this season, despite them having played significantly lesser games than us. As far as Bruno is concerned, we have seen the record when he isn't playing - I dont think that point is even up for debate, and thats the reason why we need him in most games
What changes did he make? The defenders? That was forced. Everyone can name the managers favourite 11 now without blinking. The only questions are Rashford right or left or Pogba left or in the middle. Is Cavani fit to play. The rest of the team picks itself.

According to tranfermarkt Bruno and Rashford are numbers 3 & 4 in the top European leagues for most matches played. It’s not a coincidence they both looked shattered and out of ideas in so many games. A club our size shouldn’t need to be so over reliant on individuals that they must play no matter their condition or the difficulty of the fixture. I’m sure even Ronaldo and Messi got more rest in their primes. Also what happens if we buy more squad players like VDB or Telles this summer? It all just feels a bit pointless.

Shark

@NotShark

It's just that the consensus when VDB was signed, was that he'd cover for Bruno in that number ten position, but aside from a couple of cameos I'm not sure that was even tested fully. Lingard seemed to get more opportunities in that role so we were probably better off keeping him around of Ole didn't want to use VDB.

anant

What changes did he make? The defenders? That was forced. Everyone can name the managers favourite 11 now without blinking. The only questions are Rashford right or left or Pogba left or in the middle. Is Cavani fit to play. The rest of the team picks itself.

According to tranfermarkt Bruno and Rashford are numbers 3 & 4 in the top European leagues for most matches played. It’s not a coincidence they both looked shattered and out of ideas in so many games. A club our size shouldn’t need to be so over reliant on individuals that they must play no matter their condition or the difficulty of the fixture. I’m sure even Ronaldo and Messi got more rest in their primes. Also what happens if we buy more squad players like VDB or Telles this summer? It all just feels a bit pointless.
Maguire didn't play, Neither did Shaw, nor did McT nor Shaw. At HT, we subbed AWB, Bruno and Fred. And last I checked people want the manager to know what his best XI is. Wasn't this the criticism used against Ole last season, when people said, he has no clue of his best XI?

justsomebloke

It's just that the consensus when VDB was signed, was that he'd cover for Bruno in that number ten position, but aside from a couple of cameos I'm not sure that was even tested fully. Lingard seemed to get more opportunities in that role so we were probably better off keeping him around of Ole didn't want to use VDB.
What I think is even harder to understand is why Pogba isn't seen as a backup option there. It's not his best position, but he's had good games there in the past.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Giving a player contract extension does not mean they are expected to just beat any decent side. They are backup for a reason Ole giving them contract extension was more likely due to us having more pressing needs elsewhere rather than them being top class players now.

Look, I love Mata, Diallo, and all but Mata and Matic have lost their legs, Diallo is too young to be given a 90 min run around, VDB is yet to settle and I can go on. BTW, Mata was on personal leave at this time, I believe VDB was injured and same for Bailly as well(?). The 2 CBs you're talking about - one of them has had a poor season, and the other, if fit, will give either a 2/10 performance or an 8/10 How can you trust such a CB? The side has a lot more depth in terms of quality now, but not many of these players are proper game-changers

If you really believe these players are good enough, then would you say that with a different manager - we'd have won the league this season? What about if we just sack Ole and sign a different manager - we win the league?
Giving a player a new contract means you have faith in their ability , doesn't matter how you slice it. Those players have to be able to perform if they're part of the first team squad. Giving an aging number 10 a new contract because we need a right back more urgently is conflating two separate decisions.

I've already said the reason I believe dvb has yet to settle has to fall on the manager. We have a very good second squad , it's probably in the top ten in all of Europe and in terms of wages maybe even higher. With our resources we cannot use the shit bench argument and that blame has to fall at least partially on Ole. He's had 4 transfer windows.

My friend I believe in maximizing our chances to win and to keep winning. I have seen enough of Ole to conclude ( of course I could be wrong) that he is not maximing our squad/talent. Ask yourself honestly if there was a world out there with some hypothetical manager better than Ole and he was available should we consider making the change?

No manager will guarantee anything just like no signing does. But we still want the best don't we?

anant

In the final? Shaw AWB and Mct started?
I'm referring to the Sociedad game.

And are you saying these guys shouldn't have started the final? Considering Fred was unfit, the lineup was exactly what everyone would have preferred

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Yet in our most important game of the season at that point our manager chose to rest him. You can understand why that would be a very criticized decision surely considering the result.

anant

Giving a player a new contract means you have faith in their ability , doesn't matter how you slice it. Those players have to be able to perform if they're part of the first team squad. Giving an aging number 10 a new contract because we need a right back more urgently is conflating two separate decisions.

I've already said the reason I believe dvb has yet to settle has to fall on the manager. We have a very good second squad , it's probably in the top ten in all of Europe and in terms of wages maybe even higher. With our resources we cannot use the shit bench argument and that blame has to fall at least partially on Ole. He's had 4 transfer windows.

My friend I believe in maximizing our chances to win and to keep winning. I have seen enough of Ole to conclude ( of course I could be wrong) that he is not maximing our squad/talent. Ask yourself honestly if there was a world out there with some hypothetical manager better than Ole and he was available should we consider making the change?

No manager will guarantee anything just like no signing does. But we still want the best don't we?

Firstly, in a season you're planning on selling Sanchez, Lukaku, Smalling and Herrera and willing to lose Rojo, etc. I'm pretty sure he wont be willing to lose another player on a free because some depth is better than no depth.

As a second squad, I agree it's among top 10 in Europe, but this 2nd squad is supposed to play 1st team of the rivals. And that's where the issue lies. I'm pretty sure that in the games preceding the FA Cup exit, there was no chance of him making these changes.

I want us to win trophies, but I'm realistic. My expectation was 4th (optimistic expectation was 2nd). We exceeded that and hence, I'll back him. You can hire a proven winner like we did in the past and I think we became a worse side under that piece of shit manager

anant

Yet in our most important game of the season at that point our manager chose to rest him. You can understand why that would be a very criticized decision surely considering the result.
Because league games > FA Cup games, and you had to give him a rest some time. His performance levels had been dipping for 3 months!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Lets agree to disagree. I see your points and I understand all the risks that come with my approach however I still think he could have found chances to rest Bruno in those three months you mention and I still think he has to take the blame for the squad rotation and the performance of our back ups.

justsomebloke

Hahahaha. And people like you think that means that as long as you can imagine something better, that's actually an argument for firing the manager. I see you've got several other twattery classics lined up too, including "he's had 4 transfer windows", " "dvb has yet to settle has to fall on the manager" and "in terms of wages maybe even higher."

el3mel

The entire VDB debacle has surely to fall on the manager. Are some here actually claiming otherwise? We signed a 45m midfielder and we can't even know how to use him.

Skåre Willoch

Who even cares about the DVB «debacle». Bad signings happen. Basically every manager and every club does it (regularly, even) and this isn’t the last time it’ll happen to us either. £45m is not that expensive anyhow. Sell him / send him on loan and move on.

justsomebloke

Who even cares about the DVB «debacle». Bad signings happen. Basically every manager and every club does it (regularly, even) and this isn’t the last time it’ll happen to us either. £45m is not that expensive anyhow. Sell him / send him on loan and move on.
Mainly, I'd say it's rather too early to write DvdB off as a United player.

el3mel

So we sign a player, barely even play him, don't even know how to use him, sell him again and we shouldn't even question the manager for why he signed him to start with.

I like this logic. If he signs successful players then it's great business. If he signs a player who failed then who gives a shit? Happens all the time. Complete immunity. We shouldn't question anything he does.

justsomebloke

So we sign a player, barely even play him, don't even know how to use him, sell him again and we shouldn't even question the manager for why he signed him to start with.

I like this logic. If he signs successful players then it's great business. If he signs a player who failed then who gives a shit? Happens all the time. Complete immunity. We shouldn't question anything he does.
I'd say see them together. If you're judging a manager on his transfers, take the bad with the good. And getting the "good"s is more important than avoiding the "bad"s. But in any case, if DvdB still hasn't contributed much a year from now, then clearly a wrong judgment was made when he was bought, or something wrong has been done after he arrived. That's fair enough. But that's something different than talking as if it's clearly OGS fault at this point that DvdB hasn't done too much this season. Let's see.

el3mel

I'd say see them together. If you're judging a manager on his transfers, take the bad with the good. And getting the "good"s is more important than avoiding the "bad"s. But in any case, if DvdB still hasn't contributed much a year from now, then clearly a wrong judgment was made when he was bought, or something wrong has been done after he arrived. That's fair enough. But that's something different than talking as if it's clearly OGS fault at this point that DvdB hasn't done too much this season. Let's see.
And that's what I do. I give him credit for deals like Bruno, as much as I criticize him for deals like VDB. Meanwhile some here are trying to act as if any good signing is his and every bad wasn't "his player". Several times people criticized a deal like Daniel James here and the response was "blame the board, they don't always sign the manager's player".

I mean at the start of the season people were saying he will get chances along the road. Now the season has ended and we are talking about him getting chances next year? The problem is we signed a player for such sum of fee and we seem to not even know which position we should play him in on the pitch. We don't know if he's a number 8 or 10. We are absolutely clueless about one of our transfers that costed us 45m.

Of course people are right to question everything about this deal.

Skåre Willoch

Not at all what I’m saying, but sure. Question him as much as you like. Revoke his immunity. Beat him to a pulp with a DVB shaped stick for all I care.

I’m just saying bad signings happen. Of course it’s on Ole that it didn’t work out as planned, but I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal. Again. It happens. And it will happen on a relatively regular basis no matter who’s in charge.

el3mel

Not at all what I’m saying, but sure. Question him as much as you like. Revoke his immunity. Beat him to a pulp with a DVB shaped stick for all I care.

I’m just saying bad signings happen. Of course it’s on Ole that it didn’t work out as planned, but I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal. Again. It happens. And it will happen on a relatively regular basis no matter who’s in charge.
Maybe when you sign a player, plays a lot, and proves he's shit, this can happen. Meanwhile the fact that the season ended with him barely even playing and no one knowing what even his position on the pitch is, it's something that's fair for people to question and ask why we even signed him.

Skåre Willoch

Maybe when you sign a player, plays a lot, and proves he's shit, this can happen. Meanwhile the fact that the season ended with him barely even playing and no one knowing what even his position on the pitch is, it's something that's fair for people to question and ask why we even signed him.
Yes. It’s fair to question him about that signing. I don’t understand the signing either. At all. But I still don’t think it’s that big of a deal.

We’ve done a lot worse without the demand for a thorough investigation and questioning. But you seem quite upset about the whole DVB “debacle”, and I hope you find the answers you seek.

Status
Not open for further replies.