Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

He is completely correct. How can you be 3 years into a tenure and still not have any idea what formation or style we should play. We have just bought a bunch of attackers and hope we can put out a good side. The team should be well drilled in Ole's approach now but its just constantly changing, throwing things at the wall to see what sticks

Spot on. Klopp replaced players who are not good enough slowly, one step at a time. Utd has one of the best attack in the league. We just need midfielders who are willing to run all, hold possession and win the ball. McTominay and Fred are a liability, they don't have the ability to hold the ball when our opponents press. Bruno on the other hand takes too much risk.

He is completely correct. How can you be 3 years into a tenure and still not have any idea what formation or style we should play. We have just bought a bunch of attackers and hope we can put out a good side. The team should be well drilled in Ole's approach now but its just constantly changing, throwing things at the wall to see what sticks
Exactly this.

But that’s been the case throughout his tenure & as a fanbase we’ve bought into the empty platitudes in spite of the product on the pitch looking directionless.

For years we’ve excused his failings & now he’s got Ronaldo [some] are shocked he’s not competing for top honours despite showing he’s incapable of competing for any.

What is Ed even afraid of? I can understand his trying to avoid failing again by getting the wrong manager so why not just get an interim? At this point keeping Ole makes him look as dumb as hiring the wrong manager for the 5th time

Amazing that a failed championship manager will survive this. Where is the gofund link for the airplane?

Because Ole hasn't got a clue, we're coached by chancers. Selecting three centre halves was the clearest sign of desperation not to lose, his insistence on picking players in dreadful form breeds complacency in those he picks, and ruins the confidence of those he doesn't pick. Owen is absolutely spot on in his assessment here.

Owen made a lot of sense yesterday.

Also, you can afford to play multiple formations if you have big enough multi-talented squad like Chelsea, and of course a coaching team who are mastered the tactics and can drill the team into (lampard tried and failed miserably). But regardless, for any team mastering multiple formations is a humongous task. Especially Ole and his staff who all are learning on the job. All of them possibly googling the tactics, taking printouts to the training.

I remember before season Phelan said 'we want to try multiple formations'. How ridiculous that is!

So he "promised" to board that he will play more attacking football? First of all; how that works? He will just go with 4-1-5 formation and that is it? Like it is just that simple.
And does he have any dignity? What is next? Tell me what lineup you want, just don't sack me?
fecking hell, when i remember all those posts about how Ole is ruthless, how he will leave when things go bad, how he is not a "yes man"....

Really strange how quiet things are on the media front compared with the Liverpool defeat.

So he "promised" to board that he will play more attacking football? First of all; how that works? He will just go with 4-1-5 formation and that is it? Like it is just that simple.
And does he have any dignity? What is next? Tell me what lineup you want, just don't sack me?
fecking hell, when i remember all those posts about how Ole is ruthless, how he will leave when things go bad, how he is not a "yes man"....

it is obvious that against Watford he can play one of the McFreds.

Just curious where you go that info from. I had not looked at every single posts in this thread yet though.

Villa just sacked their manager. Ole continues to defy the bookmakers odds as favourite to get sacked next. The chance of Klopp, Tuchel and Pep getting sacked this season are probably way higher than his.

Solskjaer reminds me of myself when playing FM. I am terrible at creating tactics and will randomly change things with the hope I magically stumble upon a solution that works. Very much how I have felt when watching Ole's United. Him and his backroom team make it up as they go along. Unfortunately for them in real life there's no plug 'n play tactics to get you through.

Owen was right though. Even in FM it doesnt matter what sort of formation you play. Use it consistently for 1 season and find better player and you'll steamroll everybody by 2nd season.

I never changed my formation for 10 season. 352, 433, 451, anything. As long as your team master it and have the good player designed for it.

We can all have our different thoughts and opinions but one thing thats for certain and the one thing we can all agree on is that we have the most inept ownership/board in the game. They are too busy putting up shares on the god damn stock market rather than taking swift action when things are going horrendously bad.

I do honestly think Sir Alex is the only person on earth who could win so many titles under this shambles of an ownership. Everyone knows it. The minute SAF retired this board got completely exposed for what they are, a bunch of clueless amateurs.

To be fair moyes and ole ws saf suggestions.

I remember when Ole started, our defence was our attack. Every game we just fecking went for them. Attacked like crazy. Now every season we become more and more defensive. And we defend so much without even attacking now. Waiting for the oppo to make a mistake. That’s not tactics, just relying on luck most of the time. Or Ronaldo and De Gea to save us every game.

I remember when Ole started, our defence was our attack. Every game we just fecking went for them. Attacked like crazy. Now every season we become more and more defensive. And we defend so much without even attacking now. Waiting for the oppo to make a mistake. That’s not tactics, just relying on luck most of the time. Or Ronaldo and De Gea to save us every game.

When Ole started, he was playing with house money.

One question I have for people now, as a guy that has been a fervent Ole in person - I've always seen Ole put the club above himself in the past. From selling Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling, Blind, Darmian etc to replace all that with Mason Greenwood and trust his squad. and youth. I'm not seeing that anymore. Ole has clearly lost faith in his system and the players HE signed. Diallo, Pellestri, Donny, Sancho, etc. Even Cavani had to fight really hard to get a game.

Is Ole putting himself first now?

Now, he's reverted to going ultra defensive and trying to grind games out. He's picking 7 defenders. And with respect to Pogba (an understandable situation) Solskjaer has been extremely weak: Pogba shouldn't be playing a single game for us until he's committed. I don't care what people think we owe him - it's a waste of time playing players that don't want to be here.

You don't just abandon your philosophy because you get a fright. Good example here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38545988

Guardiola got dumpstered 4 nothing by Everton. And Leicester a few weeks before that. People were questioning him at the time. He understood that you have to take a few shit results before a team properly gells with what you're trying to do. This clusterfeck of picking 7 defenders, going 3atb, going 4atb, week by week is just confusing. And all while the 70million right winger sits on the bench. You don't just abandon a philosophy because it went wrong one week. And the Old Trafford crowd are extremely forgiving of everything other than cowardice, so he will be gone soon if he keeps playing the same way, board or no board, Woodward or no Woodward. What the hell happened to "youth courage success". It's now "old, afraid, failing"

Villa just sacked their manager. Ole continues to defy the bookmakers odds as favourite to get sacked next. The chance of Klopp, Tuchel and Pep getting sacked this season are probably way higher than his.

Klopp and Pep will obviously never be sacked but chances are Tuchel will go before Ole.

No word on any meetings, no links or rumours, nothing to suggest there's anything even happening its all a bit weird.

No football now for 2 weeks the shithouses are going to ride this out and hope the unrest settles down.

Back then he didn't have to worry about his job because he had no job. He was just here until the end of the season until an actual manager took over. He had no responsibilities or set targets, just finish out the season. It's a lot easier to perform well when you're under zero pressure. The moment he got the job full time, he started worrying more about losing than winning, this ironically has caused us to lose more than anything. This is what caused Moyes to fail here too (among his other blunders) - these managers do not have that winner mentality that is needed at a club of this stature. They're safety first. And with United it is not about surviving in the league or getting a respectable finish, it's about winning the damn thing and challenging for trophies. That usually means that there isn't a match you should go and expect anything less than a win.

No word on any meetings, no links or rumours, nothing to suggest there's anything even happening its all a bit weird.

No football now for 2 weeks the shithouses are going to ride this out and hope the unrest settles down.
Maybe because it's Sunday? I doubt Ole will be sacked but if he will then it's surely gonna happen tomorrow at best but most likely even later.

West Ham and Moyes beating Liverpool goes to show how useless he is and how poor a decision it was to appoint him full time. I'm convinced he has had very little impact in the way we've played during his tenure - you simply don't regress the way we have after adding Sancho, Ronaldo and Varane. Luck ran out, Bruno hasn't had the same impact and we're, to some extent, free falling down the table.

Notice how he always quickly moves on from discussions on system/style or player roles (e.g. number 6/number 8) and feels more comfortable just parroting platitudes like "we should be more aggressive, on the front foot, it is not how Man Utd should play" etc etc.

It really seems that he thought he found a magic bullet in 3-5-2 after beating Spurs and started with it against Atalanta and City only to change midgame. I mean I am no tactics genius but even for me 3-5-2 against City with no strikers did not make sense. And even I could see parts of Guardiola gameplan and instructions like target Maguire when he has the ball, rapidly close down via center/foul Bruno to nullify our counter attacking threat etc. On our side it was just "play the same formation as via Spurs and hope it works".

Even under Ole we were somewhat decent when we mostly played the same formation, which had its flaws - and we were not drilled well- but at least players were used to it. I am pretty sure Ole thought that just having better players would propel us to title challenge. When he realized that it is not the case he started frantically chopping and changing the formation hoping that it suddenly clicks. But with players not familiar/trained for it the result over multiple games was always predictable.

He is clueless.
And he sadly doesn't seem to realise just how clueless he is. He wouldn't hire the supporting staff he has if he did. Ole was never a gifted footballer, grit and hard work got him through. I reckon he thinks the same will do in this situation but it won't.

I honestly fear the Board are winging it and hoping they can get to December without very noticeable fan unrest. We then start the following run up until the end of the year:

Arsenal H
Palace H
Young Boys H
Norwich A
Brentford A
Brighton H
Newcastle A
Burnley H

Now, given the form we're in, we could well struggle in some of those. But I'm fearing the Board are hoping he can do just enough before that set of fixtures, and then go on a run. They seem absolutely desperate to keep him, so that's my theory.

[/QUO
I honestly fear the Board are winging it and hoping they can get to December without very noticeable fan unrest. We then start the following run up until the end of the year:

Arsenal H
Palace H
Young Boys H
Norwich A
Brentford A
Brighton H
Newcastle A
Burnley H

Now, given the form we're in, we could well struggle in some of those. But I'm fearing the Board are hoping he can do just enough before that set of fixtures, and then go on a run. They seem absolutely desperate to keep him, so that's my theory.

I can see us comfortably losing to Arsenal and Palace that's how bad we're at the moment. His favourite players are the same ones letting him down and for some reason he's oblivious to it.[/QUOTE]

How funny was it yesterday in Ole’s post match interview when he said ‘that’s the magic wand’ in reaction to the interviewer asking why his side kept conceding goals :lol:

I think he meant ‘that’s the magic question’ or something… still a bizarre answer, but at least approaching coherency.

‘That’s the magic wand’… ffs :lol:

Does anyone have the clip?

Arsenal H
Palace H
Young Boys H
Norwich A
Brentford A
Brighton H
Newcastle A
Burnley H

When is the last time he's gone on any kind of run? Don't think he's even managed two wins on the bounce in what seems like a long time.

Arsenal H
Palace H
Young Boys H
Norwich A
Brentford A
Brighton H
Newcastle A
Burnley H

Right now, all I can see is banana skins. Our confidence is shot.

Arsenal have steadied themselves. Palace looking good under Viera. Brentford took points off Liverpool and had Chelsea hanging on. Brighton are tidy under Potter. Both Newcastle and Norwich will have new managers. And Burnley love OT.

I’d like after the international break for someone to ask him what he’s done differently in training and in match preparation to address the issues that have manifest themselves so far this season.

“We have to find the magic wand and be like a raped lion”…. Or something

When is the last time he's gone on any kind of run? Don't think he's even managed two wins on the bounce in what seems like a long time.

I don't think he has a run in him, no. However, it's the only thing that makes any sense to me right now, given he's not going to be sacked during the international break, by the looks of it. I'm just speculating that the Board must be hoping he nails those fixtures in December. Of course, it could all get so much messier before then with Watford, Villarreal and Chelsea away, in the space of a week. How he's still here is absolutely beyond me, so I'm trying to find something that the Board are clinging to.

Right now, all I can see is banana skins. Our confidence is shot.

Arsenal have steadied themselves. Palace looking good under Viera. Brentford took points off Liverpool and had Chelsea hanging on. Brighton are tidy under Potter. Both Newcastle and Norwich will have new managers. And Burnley love OT.

I reckon the Board are blindly hoping that's when he can put a run together and see the year out. Chances are, he most definitely won't, and he'll be sacked sometime around mid to late December. If we were to lose two of the three games agsinst Watford, Villareal and Chelsea before that, then SURELY he would be gone! Honestly, I don't fancy him to beat anyone right now.

I’d like after the international break for someone to ask him what he’s done differently in training and in match preparation to address the issues that have manifest themselves so far this season.

“We have to find the magic wand and be like a raped lion”…. Or something
After a game, someone needs to ask 'What were your tactics today'? Then when he starts with his cliches say 'Yes. We know that, but what were your tactics today'? Then keep at him.

I reckon the Board are blindly hoping that's when he can put a run together and see the year out. Chances are, he most definitely won't, and he'll be sacked sometime around mid to late December. If we were to lose two of the three games agsinst Watford, Villareal and Chelsea before that, then SURELY he would be gone! Honestly, I don't fancy him to beat anyone right now.

We are a streaky team, so it's not entirely beyond us - but it would require a sea-change in performances first. And right now, there's zero evidence to suggest that something will suddenly click.

He actually isn't getting sacked.

What an absolute disgrace that is.

Have the twats in charge never heard of a caretaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.