Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I wouldn't say he got schooled per se. A lot of things caught up with us. I accept the injuries the lack of fitness etc. What I want to know is why the mood changed toward him? I'm guessing it has to be something he said or did that caused some discomfort. Yes the players should get on with it, but I just wonder because it was such a dramatic turnaround.

I do think him saying in public things like, 'some of these players are playing their last match etc etc' was not a wise thing. He lost control there. He should know from SAF that you never lose control, or at least, don't do it publicly.

You just can't say things like that in public, He let his emotions get the better of him. Really needs to work this out before we start the new season.
His public demeanour changed after the bad performances towards the end of the season. He went from being really happy with the squad when winning to saying as you stated "some of these players are playing their last match" when losing. He threw the players under the bus to make himself look better.

I wasn't impressed with him at all, at the time. I thought he was out of his depth (still do). I agree with your point that he can't say stuff like that in public. It showed his lack of experience at this level. The journalists wanted him to say certain things and he fell into their trap.

I don't think the players were too pleased about it all too. Judging by their reactions. After all, like I said, he was twiddling his thumbs on the bench during the multiple defeats. He wasn't blameless in it all.

When did we see him turn anything around during the game? Even change shape? I don't remember one time. Subs were left late if we were lucky. I try not to think back to last season too much but during that disastrous run at the end, it was truly terrible stuff.

Where is his stamp on the team? Where is the progress on the pitch? Since he's been here, the football has progressively been getting worse with time. It should be the opposite shouldn't it? That sends alarm bells ringing to me. I hope for the best obviously but I truly think he's way out of his depth.

Last edited:

The Nani

I wouldn't say he got schooled per se. A lot of things caught up with us. I accept the injuries the lack of fitness etc. What I want to know is why the mood changed toward him? I'm guessing it has to be something he said or did that caused some discomfort. Yes the players should get on with it, but I just wonder because it was such a dramatic turnaround.

I do think him saying in public things like, 'some of these players are playing their last match etc etc' was not a wise thing. He lost control there. He should know from SAF that you never lose control, or at least, don't do it publicly.

You just can't say things like that in public, He let his emotions get the better of him. Really needs to work this out before we start the new season.
You can say things like that in public, and I was bloody glad he did. In fact, I would like to see more of that from him. Much of our squad are far too comfortable. And furthermore, it signaled to me that he definitely is not just a yes man for the chairman.

Fergie would've torn the conference room apart a few times over this season if he had to deal with this lot. Nice guy Ole is not the answer. He will have to be as ruthless as he's said he'll have to be to succeed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't know where to put this.
Looks like they have used different criteria for different teams, like including youth players for ManUtd and ignoring for other teams.

Players who played in 2015-16 and still with the clubs.
ManCity

Kompany - Released
Sterling
Aguero
KdB
Delph
Mangala
Silva
Fernandinho
Roberts
Otamendi
Tosin Adarabioyo
Brandon Barker
Aleix García
García
Cameron Humphreys

Liverpool
Clyne
Lovren
Milner
Firmino
Joe Gomez
Henderson
Sturridge - Apparently released
Moreno - Apparently Released
Lallana
Mignolet
Origi
Ádám Bogdán
Ryan Kent
Sheyi Ojo
Connor Randall
Pedro Chirivella

Chelsea
Zouma
Hazard
Baba Rahman
Pedro
Kenedy
Willian
Cahill - Released
Azpi
Moses
Loftus Cheek
Matt Miazga
Ola Aina
Jake Clarke-Salter
Kasey Palmer
Tammy Abraham
Fikayo Tomori
Jamal Blackman

Arsenal
Koscielny - Released
Ozil
Ramsey - Released
Ospina
Monreal
Iwobi
Chambers
Welbeck - Released
Bellerin
Cech - Retired
Chambers
Elneny
Krystian Bielik

ManUtd
De Gea
Jones
Rojo
Mata
Martial
Smalling
Young
James Wilson - Apparently Released
Romero
Herrera - Released
Shaw
Valencia - Released
Lingard
Darmian
Tuanzebe
Rashford
Poole - apparently released
CBJ
Pereira
Fosu Mensah

Tottenham
Lloris
Walker
Toby
Vertonghen
Son
Kane
Lamela
Vorm
Dier
Trippier
Alli
Eriksen
Ben Davies
Josh Onomah
Winks

Looks like Arsenal have the least remaining from 2015-16 and arguably they are in worse situation. Also not sure why they took from 2015-16 season and this was from one of those LUHG guys on twitter who are just pathetic accounts.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

Of course the manager is going to slag off players in the press release announcing their new contracts. Yeah and the United media machine would definitely allow that. Right.

Do you also think Mourinho genuinely wanted Young at fullback and wasn't really after Alex Sandro? :rolleyes:
My problem with this excuse is that Ole could have gone for Dalot at RB if he truly didn't want Young. Even if Dalot doesn't give you the performances you want (which is a completely warranted concern), at least there is long term benefit as a young player can use that experience to improve. Young gives you no such benefit. Especially when Young doesn't even give you a short term reward as he is crap. There is no positive to Young.

If he felt Dalot wasn't doing enough, I want my manager to resort to a youth player. You don't know how they'll react. Rashford wasn't some can't miss talent for the youth teams. He was a great player, and a lot of us were surprised at how well he took to the first team. Who knows whether Lee O'Connor couldn't have done the same. We'll never know though as it was never tried. And for the record, I'm not suggesting that Lee would have succeeded. I'm just saying that trying him out wouldn't have hurt and that there is a chance (however low it is) it could have worked.

Alabaster Codify7

It makes sense, these players have been throwing managers under the bus for years to save themselves. Basically:
  • New boss comes in.
  • Gives everyone a chance to show him what they've got.
  • Eventually the boss decides on who needs to go and who should stay.
  • Players down tools and the coach is gone before they get the chance to sell either them or their buddies
  • His replacement comes in, gives everyone the benefit of the doubt/fresh start and the cycle continues.
We've held on to so much shite for far too long, but the squad is toxic and they know when it's time to hide behind their coaches and team mates.
This is exactly what is happening and it really pleases our owners/Woodward. It's far cheaper to extend someone than sell them for their true worth (IE - Feck all) and upgrade on them.

As long as there's a narrative to spin to the gullible fans,that's another season at least to milk the season tickets while sending the same dross out to perform to their true level....midtable mediocre players.

Ole is being sold down the river. There will be minimal spending this summer and when he flops and gets fired,the narrative will be "he wasn't experienced or talented enough but the fans can rest assured were getting a DOF and the next sppoappoint will be better thought out".

That will then get the season tickets renewed,then the likes of Lingard will get extensions and the cycle repeats.

Eventually this woll stop and the Glazers will sell. But it will continue for a few more years. They're just seeing how far they can push it.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
You can say things like that in public, and I was bloody glad he did. In fact, I would like to see more of that from him. Much of our squad are far too comfortable. And furthermore, it signaled to me that he definitely is not just a yes man for the chairman.

Fergie would've torn the conference room apart a few times over this season if he had to deal with this lot. Nice guy Ole is not the answer. He will have to be as ruthless as he's said he'll have to be to succeed.
Sorry i disagree. I don't think it was clever to say that in public, and especially at the time he made that comment. He still needed that team to get top four. Why would they care if he's publicly threatening to get rid of half of them. He's not Fergie, who'd earned immense respect and fear - he could do whatever he wanted.

Ole should have controlled his feelings in front of the press and the players in order to keep things from getting toxic in the dressing room. Remember, the important thing was getting top four, and you do all you can to get the players to perform. Throwing them under the bus ain't gonna help. He needed to criticise in a reasonable manner and not try too soon to appear stern or whatever.
It seems a bit underhanded, but sometimes you have to bite your lip and do what's best for the collective.

Also, being ruthless doesn't mean you shout at players or make certain public comments. If you're being truly ruthless, no one would know what's coming until it hit them.

Anyway, I hope Ole has taken this break to reflect and come back with a better plan.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This is exactly what is happening and it really pleases our owners/Woodward. It's far cheaper to extend someone than sell them for their true worth (IE - Feck all) and upgrade on them.

As long as there's a narrative to spin to the gullible fans,that's another season at least to milk the season tickets while sending the same dross out to perform to their true level....midtable mediocre players.

Ole is being sold down the river. There will be minimal spending this summer and when he flops and gets fired,the narrative will be "he wasn't experienced or talented enough but the fans can rest assured were getting a DOF and the next sppoappoint will be better thought out".

That will then get the season tickets renewed,then the likes of Lingard will get extensions and the cycle repeats.

Eventually this woll stop and the Glazers will sell. But it will continue for a few more years. They're just seeing how far they can push it.
Agree with all of this.

UncleBob

:lol: We've spent fecking £670mill on transfer fees since Fergie retired

Jeeesus

Rafaeldagold

His public demeanour changed after the bad performances towards the end of the season. He went from being really happy with the squad when winning to saying as you stated "some of these players are playing their last match" when losing. He threw the players under the bus to make himself look better.

I wasn't impressed with him at all, at the time. I thought he was out of his depth (still do). I agree with your point that he can't say stuff like that in public. It showed his lack of experience at this level. The journalists wanted him to say certain things and he fell into their trap.

I don't think the players were too pleased about it all too. Judging by their reactions. After all, like I said, he was twiddling his thumbs on the bench during the multiple defeats. He wasn't blameless in it all.

When did we see him turn anything around during the game? Even change shape? I don't remember one time. Subs were left late if we were lucky. I try not to think back to last season too much but during that disastrous run at the end, it was truly terrible stuff.

Where is his stamp on the team? Where is the progress on the pitch? Since he's been here, the football has progressively been getting worse with time. It should be the opposite shouldn't it? That sends alarm bells ringing to me. I hope for the best obviously but I truly think he's way out of his depth.
Exactly the football should have been improving- not getting worse.

We have no style of play & we’ve settled for a manager who isn’t good enough for us. The footballing world are now looking at us like ‘oh ok Man United have settled, lowering their expectations ‘ This needs to stop quickly as we are falling further & further behind in world football

romufc

I will back Solkjaer as United manager for the moment. Saying that, I read somewhere that Rojo has been given assurances about next season, along with new contracts to Jones and Smalling, I fear we wont sign any new CB.

If this is the case, I am sure most fans will start to turn on Ole.. you cannot come out and say you are ruthless and then give the players who conceded 50 goals another season surely?

I feel if we do not get minimum 1 world class Cb and Rb Ole is not cut out for this job.

AJ10

I will back Solkjaer as United manager for the moment. Saying that, I read somewhere that Rojo has been given assurances about next season, along with new contracts to Jones and Smalling, I fear we wont sign any new CB.

If this is the case, I am sure most fans will start to turn on Ole.. you cannot come out and say you are ruthless and then give the players who conceded 50 goals another season surely?

I feel if we do not get minimum 1 world class Cb and Rb Ole is not cut out for this job.
Not sure a Caretaker can give contracts to players, Rojo thing was from Reddit or mirror, both not reliable. If they're regular starters next season we're screwed and he'll be gone at Christmas.

One of the reasons Jose got fired IMO, A WC manager was happy playing young and valencia at FB and bought potential at CB rather than a player who was really good now which was what we needed.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

So Ole should be sacked for something that is pretty much out of his control? Good one. I’m glad you don’t attend games.

romufc

So Ole should be sacked for something that is pretty much out of his control? Good one. I’m glad you don’t attend games.
Are you trying to say Ole has no control over who plays? You do realise a manager chooses the team right? And to be a Manutd manager means you have to be quite strong and not pushed over by the board.

Look at Pep, Klopp when they realised the defence wasn't good enough, went to the board and said I need new signings in these positions because the current bunch are not good enough.

If a manager cannot do that he shouldn't be the manager of Manchester United.

In case you think I am am anti Ole, check out my posts where I have been backing him, and I think he can do a job rebuilding but a CB and RB is the key, without those we are not going to finish top 5.

I agree it might not be in his control as to who we sign, but a manager has a say in who gets a new contract.

soaphroniscuss

Most people can control what they say, so it's fair to assume that Ole can too.

Ole could also leave if he is not being backed.

That'sHernandez

Are you trying to say Ole has no control over who plays? You do realise a manager chooses the team right? And to be a Manutd manager means you have to be quite strong and not pushed over by the board.

Look at Pep, Klopp when they realised the defence wasn't good enough, went to the board and said I need new signings in these positions because the current bunch are not good enough.

In case you think I am am anti Ole, check out my posts where I have been backing him, and I think he can do a job rebuilding but a CB and RB is the key, without those we are not going to finish top 5.

I agree it might not be in his control as to who we sign, but a manager has a say in who gets a new contract.
You said he should be sacked if he doesn't sign a world class CB and RB. As far as I'm concerned, there are probably only about five would class CBs in the football at the moment and I'd be very surprised if any of those are available, and even if they are it's still out of Ole's control because believe it or not (unless your agent is Mendes or Raiola) most players choose where they want to play and if they don't want to come to United for whatever reason, that is entirely out of Ole's control. Let's sack him for that though, yeah.

With regard to who gets new contracts, I mean everything that has come from our previous managers (LVG and Mourinho) implies that actually a lot of contract renewals are decided by Woodward and Judge so Ole can give them his thoughts but ultimately until we get a technical director or DOF, it seems as though Woodward decides that currently as well. Let's ignore the facts and sack Ole though, cause that'll solve our problems.

romufc

You said he should be sacked if he doesn't sign a world class CB and RB. As far as I'm concerned, there are probably only about five would class CBs in the football at the moment and I'd be very surprised if any of those are available, and even if they are it's still out of Ole's control because believe it or not (unless your agent is Mendes or Raiola) most players choose where they want to play and if they don't want to come to United for whatever reason, that is entirely out of Ole's control. Let's sack him for that though, yeah.

With regard to who gets new contracts, I mean everything that has come from our previous managers (LVG and Mourinho) implies that actually a lot of contract renewals are decided by Woodward and Judge so Ole can give them his thoughts but ultimately until we get a technical director or DOF, it seems as though Woodward decides that currently as well. Let's ignore the facts and sack Ole though, cause that'll solve our problems.

So if we do not sign a CB and RB and we are 7th in December, we shouldn't sack Ole? because it isn't his fault that we didn't buy a CB?

Jose came out and was critical against Ed because he didnt sign a CB but I agreed with Woodward on that occasion because Jose signed Dalot, Lindelof and Bailly but they didnt work out. This situation is different where it is clear for everyone to see our defence is a shambles.

Also on your point in respects to CB's not coming to United, I dont know if you realise, a manager has a impact on players choice. Players would go to City to play for Pep, we signed Zlatan because of Jose etc.. Hazard and Pogba want Madrid because of Zidane.

That'sHernandez

So if we do not sign a CB and RB and we are 7th in December, we shouldn't sack Ole? because it isn't his fault that we didn't buy a CB?

Jose came out and was critical against Ed because he didnt sign a CB but I agreed with Woodward on that occasion because Jose signed Dalot, Lindelof and Bailly but they didnt work out. This situation is different where it is clear for everyone to see our defence is a shambles.

Also on your point in respects to CB's not coming to United, I dont know if you realise, a manager has a impact on players choice. Players would go to City to play for Pep, we signed Zlatan because of Jose etc.. Hazard and Pogba want Madrid because of Zidane.
It's not December and we aren't 7th. Why don't you wait until the transfer window is closed before kicking off about signings/releases?

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

With good reason.

They have realized that he might not know what he is doing, that Ed has presented Ole with a no win scenario and they want out.
Or maybe they realised he does know what he's doing and he's demanding more but they're not up to it because they're not good enough and mentally weak!

soaphroniscuss

Or maybe they realised he does know what he's doing and he's demanding more but they're not up to it because they're not good enough and mentally weak!
And yet those mentally weak ones are the ones that other teams actually want to buy and are the ones that were successes before coming here and will go on to be successes elsewhere.

Meanwhile back in Manchester we seem somehow unable to attract comparative or better level replacements.

Rafaeldagold

:lol: State of some people making up scenario's to be pre-emptively angry about.
There’s no scenario to make up in general though.

We’ve hired a novice manager with no real success in a top league (and a relegation!) Someone where performances have been getting worse rather than better (where you’d expect the opposite with more time to influence the squad with your ideas)

Any other big club wouldn’t have hired Ole in the first place & if they had would have sacked him by now. But we’re too good to do that apparently & should give him multiple transfer windows because we should give him time- despite no signs at all of improvement or a plan.

We’ve settled basically & some fans are content with this

That'sHernandez

We’ve hired a novice manager with no real success in a top league (and a relegation!) Someone where performances have been getting worse rather than better (where you’d expect the opposite with more time to influence the squad with your ideas)

Any other big club wouldn’t have hired Ole in the first place & if they had would have sacked him by now. But we’re too good to do that apparently & should give him multiple transfer windows because we should give him time- despite no signs at all of improvement or a plan.

There were almost immediate signs of improvement when he came in. How can you say there is no sign of a plan, either? He's barely had chance to decide on a plan; he was hired on a permanent basis only two months ago. At what point should he have had a plan for next season? Before he knew he had the job permanently?

feck me sideways, we are still third in the league in form after his initial appointment in December. Give your head a wobble and grow up a bit. I swear half this forum don't really support United.

crossy1686

career ending

We've already been through this, you're just a doom merchant who is painting the worse possible case scenario for United at ever turn.

We've hired a manager who is in line with the clubs traditions and culture, just like major corporations do everywhere around the world. Just like Barcelona did with Pep, just like Madrid did with Zidane, just like Dortmund did with Klopp, just like Southampton did with Pochettino, just like Swansea did with Potter. This fecking nonsense that you need to have proven winning on your CV proves nothing other than you had a good team where you were at previously. You'd have thought Mourinho and LVG would have shown enough people that it's not appoint appointing a name, there's more to managing than that. You keep talking in definite's like it's set in stone and unchangeable, yes, those things have happened but if Solskjær wins a major trophy, what happens then? Is he still a shit manager who got Cardiff relegated? Stop being so reactionary to everything that happens.

No one would have fecking hired Pep, Klopp, Pochettino or any manager in the world for that matter unless they'd seen something in them that makes people who matter think they've got what it takes to manage at the top level. So I honestly couldn't give a flying feck what anyone else would have done. We wouldn't have hired Pep fresh out of the Barcelona academy, does that make us mugs?

You'd have a completely different tune if the run Solskjær has been on would have been reversed, which shows the immaturity in your knee jerk reaction to losing a few games at the end of a season full of turmoil where we sacked a manager who was being a general cnut at every turn.

Have a word with yourself. Say we hired Pochettino today and we signed no one in the summer, would you want him sacked at Christmas because he went on a similar run to the one Solskjær has? Him and Klopp are about to go into their 5th season with their respective clubs and they took over under performing shit shows, but you'd have them both sacked in 6 months time because you can't handle your own emotions.

Your last statement is absolute bollocks and that's your opinion. No one around here has settled for anything, you're just trying to bring everyone down to your level of nonsense with rants about where we're going to be by the end of next season. Give it a fecking rest, no one cares, you can't predict the future and you're going to look like an even bigger bellend when you've got to climb down from this stance in a couple of months anyway.

crossy1686

career ending
There were almost immediate signs of improvement when he came in. How can you say there is no sign of a plan, either? He's barely had chance to decide on a plan; he was hired on a permanent basis only two months ago. At what point should he have had a plan for next season? Before he knew he had the job permanently?

feck me sideways, we are still third in the league in form after his initial appointment in December. Give your head a wobble and grow up a bit. I swear half this forum don't really support United.
Did you not know? He sits in all the meetings, gets briefings from Ed, he 100% knows Solskjær doesn't have a plan...

soaphroniscuss

OP didn't mean "plan for next season".

The thing that strikes me in life is how obtuse people can be about certain things, even though they see analogues to those very same things multiple times a days in everyday life.

I mean, you had a "plan" that governed how you laid out your post right? (I on the other hand did not).

Rafaeldagold

Did you not know? He sits in all the meetings, gets briefings from Ed, he 100% knows Solskjær doesn't have a plan...
Haha yes because that’s the only way you can tell he has a plan & style of play he wants to introduce.

Or maybe you can look at the performances on the pitch, see we’re getting worse & not better & see from that? Did I have to be in meetings with Ed to see Moyes was absolute garbage with no improvement or plan in place?

That'sHernandez

OP didn't mean "plan for next season".

The thing that strikes me in life is how obtuse people can be about certain things, even though they see analogues to those very same things multiple times a days in everyday life.

I mean, you had a "plan" that governed how you laid out your post right? (I on the other hand did not).
So Ole does have a plan? What exactly is the point you are making here?

Rafaeldagold

We've already been through this, you're just a doom merchant who is painting the worse possible case scenario for United at ever turn.

We've hired a manager who is in line with the clubs traditions and culture, just like major corporations do everywhere around the world. Just like Barcelona did with Pep, just like Madrid did with Zidane, just like Dortmund did with Klopp, just like Southampton did with Pochettino, just like Swansea did with Potter. This fecking nonsense that you need to have proven winning on your CV proves nothing other than you had a good team where you were at previously. You'd have thought Mourinho and LVG would have shown enough people that it's not appoint appointing a name, there's more to managing than that. You keep talking in definite's like it's set in stone and unchangeable, yes, those things have happened but if Solskjær wins a major trophy, what happens then? Is he still a shit manager who got Cardiff relegated? Stop being so reactionary to everything that happens.

No one would have fecking hired Pep, Klopp, Pochettino or any manager in the world for that matter unless they'd seen something in them that makes people who matter think they've got what it takes to manage at the top level. So I honestly couldn't give a flying feck what anyone else would have done. We wouldn't have hired Pep fresh out of the Barcelona academy, does that make us mugs?

You'd have a completely different tune if the run Solskjær has been on would have been reversed, which shows the immaturity in your knee jerk reaction to losing a few games at the end of a season full of turmoil where we sacked a manager who was being a general cnut at every turn.

Have a word with yourself. Say we hired Pochettino today and we signed no one in the summer, would you want him sacked at Christmas because he went on a similar run to the one Solskjær has? Him and Klopp are about to go into their 5th season with their respective clubs and they took over under performing shit shows, but you'd have them both sacked in 6 months time because you can't handle your own emotions.

Your last statement is absolute bollocks and that's your opinion. No one around here has settled for anything, you're just trying to bring everyone down to your level of nonsense with rants about where we're going to be by the end of next season. Give it a fecking rest, no one cares, you can't predict the future and you're going to look like an even bigger bellend when you've got to climb down from this stance in a couple of months anyway.
Nope not a doom merchant- just looking at the reality & seeing we could do much better

Yes I would have a different tune if results were the other around as it would mean players were on board with his ideas & his style of play was working. It didn’t & it doesn’t so bit of a silly thing to say.

Well last bit was very mature- well done. Who’s lost in their emotions again..?

Eriku

That is scathing. And I just hope you are not correct because its a very compelling analysis.
Doesn’t take into account that Ole took over mid-season, and a team that was accustomed to being out-run by the opposition. He changed that, and we looked gassed 2/3s into matches, and in the end we got a ton of injuries and it became clear we’d be playing the U12s come the end of the season if we keep it up.

We really need to let him have a pre-season before we make strong assertions about Ole.

soaphroniscuss

Doesn’t take into account that Ole took over mid-season, and a team that was accustomed to being out-run by the opposition. He changed that, and we looked gassed 2/3s into matches, and in the end we got a ton of injuries and it became clear we’d be playing the U12s come the end of the season if we keep it up.

We really need to let him have a pre-season before we make strong assertions about Ole.
Apart from the strongest assertion possible, that he should have gotten the job in the first place, of course :wenger:

pascell

If you think it was Ole giving Jones, Smalling and Young new contracts, read the LvG interview and you'll see it wont have been Ole but Woodward and Judge.

Hal9000

Makes sense of give these players contracts, even if they are surplus. Lost Valencia, Anders maybe Mata so losing Young, Smalling, Rojo and Jones all in one go would of been lunacy. Hopefully we bring in players to replace them and offload them next summer.

lysglimt

Scout

Chris Smalling signed a United contract december 15th - Phil Jones on february 8th and Ashley Young on february 11th.

Smalling was before Solskjaer became manager - and if we assume that the negotiations for the other 2 probably took 4-5-6 weeks at best - these contracts were started more or less at the same time Solskjaer became interim manager. If an interim manager in his first couple of weeks on the job goes to the board and says - "please stop contract-talks with these players" - then he REALLY shouldn't be the manager of Manchester United.

Status
Not open for further replies.