Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiser00

What you mean finally point the finger at Ed. We’ve been doing that for years. The guy is a fool and needs out.

Dr. StrangeHate

And why did we lose today? Because Solskjaer was on the bench? Or was it because we missed a pen, De Gea is finished and our wingers didn't want to run at the fullbacks? We've played better so far this season than we played all last season.
Same excuses every year. We shouldn't be needing referee decisions against Crystal Palace. They are barely championship level.
Because signing players that didn't want to be here has been amazing business for us...
A semi interested Dybala and Eriksen is much better than the players we have. So it would be decent business yes.

Ricardo de la Vega

Hes clearly not a master tactician, and doesnt know how to get a team to use space, and draw the opposition out when they sit back deep. He also seems unable to react.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Not gonna put this one on him really. When VAR ignores a blatant red for them and a blatant pen, and then the one you do get gets missed by the player, when players slip on one v one's with the keeper, when your team is undone by a goalkick and your CB not winning a routine header, and then your goalkeeper drops a clanger in the 93rd minute right after you equalized finally... How can anyone put that on the manager? "One of those days" where nothing at all goes right, even though the performance itself wasn't awful. Just big feck ups at the wrong moments.
3 shots on target in a home game against a shit Palace team who's best player from last season plays for us? Who do we put it on? Moyes? van Gaal? Mourinho?

MrSingh2002

Ok what would you have done?
Maybe signed players we needed while he could have. Maybe stop waiting until the end of the game before making substitutions. Maybe involve more of the squad over 3 games than picking the same 11 in the same formation and being predictable.

Maybe allocate a penalty taker and we may have scored one of the last 2 taken to actually win some points. Maybe involve players like Fred and Dalot who were signed to be starters instead of Lingard and Young.

There's alot he could do better than he has. His task isn't the easiest but he's doing a tough job poorly.

acnumber9

It doesn’t matter who the manager is if they won’t be backed. Everybody knew that squad wasn’t good enough and we were weakened in two areas of it in the summer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Jose looks better and better, even if he didn't help himself on many occasions saying things publicly that he should have kept private. But the criticism of the club and of where we are and where our ambitions need to be if we want to do anything of note was spot on. I backed him till the end as well, but that was because he is a top class manager with a proven track record and knows how to win. I'll support Ole, but I already believe he's not up to the job.
To speak candidly, whoever our long term manager is, I'd prefer him to openly challenge the board and highlight the lack of support and structure, because that's the only way any real focus will be spent on the club.

Obviously Ole isn't that type of manager and won't do tha going forward, but you just have to hope he gets it right I guess. His excuses will run paper thin though. Can't blame on no preseason, can't blame players, can't blame injuries.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Jose wasn't underachieving with this squad, he massively overachieved in 17/18 and made people actually believe we had the quality to be right behind City.

Meller

Different when you're at United, though. Whole different level of pressure.
Sure but as some others are saying we have no identity, no clear plan as to what we're trying to do. It's 3 wins in 16, that's sackworthy for a relegation candidate.
We played decent football. The football we're playing this season is miles better than any shit we've had for the last 3 seasons.
We played slow, didn't create much and that against a genuinely awful side. We must have watched different games if you enjoyed that.

Ranchero

Anyone who thinks VAR is to blame...is not seeing things in the round. We lack creativity. And the scary thing is we had nothing from the bench to change things. We need to keep Sanchez otherwise that is another player that wont be replaced.

Roboc7

He’ll get time purely because what’s the alternative, If he was to get sacked what or who next?. There isn’t competence at the club to have any kind of plan or strategy.

Foxbatt

When you have the team playing like this the manager is to blame. It is not even the team selection but the way we play. It seems that they never practice how to play. It is all dependent on the players how to play. You can't simply do that. It has to be done in practice so that the players know exactly what to do and where to move etc.
His way seems to get the ball to the forward line who has pace and then hope to create chances and score. That is relying on luck. We should not be relying on a penalty and VAR to beat Palace at home. We should not be playing Pogba in a holding role.
Even if Erickson did prefer to go to Real we should have got him. He would have created a lot more than Lingard but again Ole may have no clue how to use him. He simply needs to go now. Or else United needs to get a quality assistant manager like Carlos Queiroz. Honestly we should accept reality that the Manager is out of his depth and the players are simply not good enough. We could not even manage a draw after equalising in the last minute.

MrSingh2002

If we had a penalty taker without any drama we could be sitting here with 7 points atleast.

Bullshit decision not to sort it. Sunday league teams nominate a player pre game ffs.

Judas

Open to offers
So bring back LvG? I'm sure he's quite a student of the game.
With LVG's tactics, he'd get more out of this squad than Ole. Probably. At least he had tactics, yeah they were painfully dull often, but at least you could see what the bloke was trying to achieve, I don't see a vision from Ole at all.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It doesn’t matter who the manager is if they won’t be backed. Everybody knew that squad wasn’t good enough and we were weakened in two areas of it in the summer.
We can’t really blame Ole too much, I still blame Ed and the owners.

We need patience if we’re going to see this side do anything of note.

Water Melon

It really is unbelievable what we are witnessing thus far. What are the odds for Ole getting the sack before Xmas?

MisterLupus

It was a mediocre performance but we were unlucky and certainly did not deserve this loss. That was a red card in the first half - professional foul last man preventing a clear run at the goal no question asked he should have been off - and that was also an even more clear penalty when Martial was pulled and pushed into the ground. Plus the penalty we did get - how the feck did that not go in? And suddenly DeGea - one of the best shot stoppers in the world - has turned into some ghostly apparition the ball just passes straight through? We made mistakes yeah but they made more we were just punished to the maximum for ours. We can't catch a break at the moment and it has nothing to do with Ole or even the players I think. Despite not playing to their potential making more mistakes than usual - and also as usual lacking both flow and creativity up front - we still dominated this game.

We're cursed but like all curses it will end we just have to keep progressing and push through.

Last edited:

Jonno

Not gonna put this one on him really. When VAR ignores a blatant red for them and a blatant pen, and then the one you do get gets missed by the player, when players slip on one v one's with the keeper, when your team is undone by a goalkick and your CB not winning a routine header, and then your goalkeeper drops a clanger in the 93rd minute right after you equalized finally... How can anyone put that on the manager? "One of those days" where nothing at all goes right, even though the performance itself wasn't awful. Just big feck ups at the wrong moments.
You make your own luck though. A quality team creates too much for luck to go against you. A quality team creates a series of quality chances and takes them so that failure to give penalties or hitting the post on a penalty doesn’t matter, because we’re already 3 up.

We’re not a quality team. We’re in the 5th-8th bracket currently. That’s why we will draw and lose games we shouldn’t. It’s hard for some United fans to imagine having spent their whole lives watching United compete and win.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
3 shots on target in a home game against a shit Palace team who's best player from last season plays for us? Who do we put it on? Moyes? van Gaal? Mourinho?
The players who kept fecking missing the target from decent chances? Missed pens? Keeper letting one in right through him? Lindelof for not being able to win headers against fecking Schlupp?

dove

Who does have the quality then? We have tried LVG and Jose. Both i would say have the experiance and quality in different regards yet they failed.

It doesnt matter who the captain of the ship is if the ships fecked
Both Jose and especially LVG are past it. We should just hire someone who has more on his CV than "Ex United player".

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
With LVG's tactics, he'd get more out of this squad than Ole. Probably. At least he had tactics, yeah they were painfully dull often, but at least you could see what the bloke was trying to achieve, I don't see a vision from Ole at all.
I was joking but I liked LvG

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Not sure Mata would solve anything but we hardly lined up like an away team though
well it’s a team built to counter. I mean, you don’t have to be a genius to deduce Palace’s tactics for this match. They’re the one’s who were going to sit deep and counter. Having Mata in there would have offered way more creativity than Lingard for a start.

haram

Oh dear...

Jaapster

So you lot want to sack a manager after 2 mistakes 1 by Lindelof and 1 by de gea oh well done yeah keep sacking managers you feckin idiots

Foxbatt

The players who kept fecking missing the target from decent chances? Missed pens? Keeper letting one in right through him? Lindelof for not being able to win headers against fecking Schlupp?
Against a top team I would accept that but not against Palace at home. We had no idea how to play football.

Ash_G

I think you can say there were some questionable decisions e.g. sticking with lingard, not bringing on Mata earlier but in reality today was the players mixed with the ref. You can't plan for missing a pen, being denied a pen, potentially being denied a red, gk error, general erratic passing etc. Some of it was a lack of experience/maturity by the players which OGS needs to factor in as he's backed youth but in general the players weren't up to it today. There was definitely enough talent to beat them today.

There is a worrying piece around how creative we are though, we struggle in open play and we don't seem to be working on set pieces. Again you can do all the drills you want but if on the day the players don't perform than that's one thing but I do think that it's hard to see what they've been seeing in training to make them think an established CAM/attacker wasn't needed or CM to push pogba forward.

Mainoldo

Same rubbish. Players aren’t been coached.. I mean what the hell is going on.

Fracture90

I don't think he's got enough authority nor he's got tactical knowledge to bring us back to the top or to pull a successful revamp. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

We don't look like a team, his favourites have the thicker plot armor than Jon fkin Snow and we have no clue how to play against the sides that like to drop deep and defend.

Judas

Open to offers
We'll look better against the supposed better sides purely because we're likely to get more space and they'll want to play their own game, but against the rest, yuck, it's going to be tumescent.

Hughie77

Oles gets till xmas, that's a given unless results start going like they did today, (palace). Players need to finish off the plays they do, not just filtering out to nothing.

Our squad is very young and experience doesn't just happen, time is needed. Theses boys have to learn on the job, and I don't think it's fair on them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You make your own luck though. A quality team creates too much for luck to go against you. A quality team creates a series of quality chances and takes them so that failure to give penalties or hitting the post on a penalty doesn’t matter, because we’re already 3 up.

We’re not a quality team. We’re in the 5th-8th bracket currently. That’s why we will draw and lose games we shouldn’t. It’s hard for some United fans to imagine having spent their whole lives watching United compete and win.
There are always games that you feck up and have "those games where nothing goes quite right". Even with Fergie when we were the best team around. It happens. And I completely disagree, we are not 5th to 8th bracket, very clearly there is not much between the top 4 challengers outside of Liverpool and City but we'll see how the season turns out. I'm pretty confident we'll finish 4th. I mean, we did also just 2 weeks ago beat a fellow top 4 challenger 4-0. Though I guess people on here forget instantly.

And yes, we aren't a world class team. We have a very young team that is growing, developing and progressing, but we'll be inconsistent... Ultimately I think we'll be good enough to make it. Just have to wait and see though. Important to not overreact though and see things as they really are. Like if Pogba and Rashford put away their penalties, we're on 4 points more already. Individual mistakes that just need to stop happening, but sometimes you get a run like that and all we can do is push through.

Nori-

Why didn't he add more depth to the team in the summer?! We sold Lukaku, the money was there.

Anyone with half a brain cell could have told the club, the lack of quality options in the squad is going to hurt us this year. If feels like we have a platoon of defenders and no decent squad players further up the field. Matic? Fred? Lingard? Mata? Ole could morph into Fergie tomorrow and he wouldn't win anything with those players

So so frustrating

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Back him and let him fix the squad. We'll see where we are next summer. There is absolutely no quick fox for this.
We saw this transfer window he was out of his depth. No replacement for the two cm’s that left. Chased Dybala and Eriksen at the last minute

Mcking

Has no clue how to manage a game. The moment the opponents take the initiative, it's game over.

Ace of Spades

Palace did not outplay us, the problem is in our squad. We lack players who are creative, and that was obvious before the season started. The few chances we got should have been taken by the players, how do you miss two penalties in two weeks. The players should start taking some responsibility for their own performances.

The fact that the squad was allowed to become so bad, should be more worrying.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
well it’s a team built to counter. I mean, you don’t have to be a genius to deduce Palace’s tactics for this match. They’re the one’s who were going to sit deep and counter. Having Mata in there would have offered way more creativity than Lingard for a start.
I agree on Lingard as almost everyone else but I'm not sure Mata is the answer either. We will probably see Mata next time against a defensive team.

Status
Not open for further replies.