Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
Because I think it is ridiculous question. Mourinho and vanGaal were far better managers then lot of guys managing teams in Premier League but still couldn't do what we hoped for. Are they worse then those four he mentioned because they failed despite buying half of the world?

I am saying Ole is our next legendery manager? Not at all, but all this wichhunt on a guy that is doing well with the squad he has is to much.
Define doing well? It has been relegation candidates form since March. If you consider our squad on par as Newcastle then yes - he's doing well.

Rafaeldagold

Because I think it is ridiculous question. Mourinho and vanGaal were far better managers then lot of guys managing teams in Premier League but still couldn't do what we hoped for. Are they worse then those four he mentioned because they failed despite buying half of the world?

I am saying Ole is our next legendery manager? Not at all, but all this wichhunt on a guy that is doing well with the squad he has is to much.
He’s doing well haha. Utter madness. Until the majority of the fan base see the truth we are screwed

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That said, I have real sympathy towards Ole considering his injuries so far. It was always a thin squad, and pretty much every player he would have banked on being his key men have been struck down already this season. I know ‘injuries are a part of the game’, but so are teams suffering when they have a string of bad ones. Similar happened last season and halted his run of wins.

haram

He did indeed.

Left them 17th in the Championship, 7 games into the season...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26328068
Former Bluebirds captain Jason Perry told BBC Radio Wales the board and Tan had to take some responsibility.

"It was the wrong appointment for Cardiff and the wrong club for Solskjaer," said Perry ahead of the Norwegian's departure.

"If you're manager or a coach you have a central strategy and you work on that. But he's still trying to find his first 11 and you can't do it, it doesn't work.

"The table tells you that, the results tell you that and unfortunately Cardiff thought he was the right man for the job and I want to know why."
Yikes.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Define doing well? It has been relegation candidates form since March. If you consider our squad on par as Newcastle then yes - he's doing well.
Newcastle have played Arsenal, Tottenham away, Liverpool away & Leicester away already. We have 3 more points than them so far.

We play them away next week. Let's see where we are after that. We could easily be 15/16th in the next few weeks.

If he has us at the bottom of the table and Liverpool beat us at Old Trafford, that should be it.

haram

That said, I have real sympathy towards Ole considering his injuries so far. It was always a thin squad, and pretty much every player he would have banked on being his key men have been struck down already this season. I know ‘injuries are a part of the game’, but so are teams suffering when they have a string of bad ones. Similar happened last season and halted his run of wins.
The injuries happened because of the way we are training, the way we are running and our pre season. So he can take blame for that as well.

90 + 5min

Injuries and very thin squad. He has despite that made our defence look ten times better then last year. We do have problem in the offense. We are creating little but our biggest problem is scoring. We could easly have had more points if we only knew how to put the ball in the net from the chances we got.

We all knew that it would be tough season even before injuries with club taking the other way (from vanGaal/Mourinho) and "star"-less team. What are people expecting from Ole? If people want to critisize someone it should be board.

Good one. :lol:

Hello Liverpool fan. Has to be a wum.
Naive WUMming.

Must try harder.
Not going into any argument that is not about football. But I like your argument technique that if you don't have anything to say just go at person without any knowledge who that person is.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He’s doing well haha. Utter madness. Until the majority of the fan base see the truth we are screwed
You're taking the post out of context.

He meant Ole is doing well considering the circumstances. That being a lack of quality in the midfield and attacking areas - compared to the top 6 sides at least - and an ever-increasing injury list, the majority of which are key players.

haram

Injuries and very thin squad. He has despite that made our defence look ten times better then last year.
Maybe because we have signed a 50 million pound RB and a 80 million pound CB. Nothing to do with his coaching.

FerociousCorgis

Newcastle have played Arsenal, Tottenham away, Liverpool away & Leicester away already. We have 3 more points than them so far.

We play them away next week. Let's see where we are after that. We could easily be 15/16th in the next few weeks.

If he has us at the bottom of the table and Liverpool beat us at Old Trafford, that should be it.
exactly. Scary to think where we are currently considering who we have played. These next 3 games could be the end of him. Lose all 3 and i just fail to see how you keep him with us having a very real possibility of being in the relegation zone. I can't even imagine the embarrassment of being officially in the relegation slot this far into the season.

Enigma_87

You know who
Injuries and very thin squad. He has despite that made our defence look ten times better then last year. We do have problem in the offense. We are creating little but our biggest problem is scoring. We could easly have had more points if we only knew how to put the ball in the net from the chances we got.

We all knew that it would be tough season even before injuries with club taking the other way (from vanGaal/Mourinho) and "star"-less team. What are people expecting from Ole? If people want to critisize someone it should be board.
It's normal to make our defence better considering we splashed 130m pounds on it.

Still we have about 1 game from 20 or something that we ended up with a clean sheet so 10 times better is stretching it.

Who didn't the board give him this summer that he wanted? It's easy to always say it's the players fault and it's the board's fault but 2 points off relegation after 6-7 games isn't looking good for any manager, let alone United's one.

EDIT: Also injuries aren't really a good excuse. Look at Chelsea's lineup when they played against us and how many injuries they had so far. Despite losing to us they still have 11 points. Every team has dealt with injuries - City have 1 fit CB, etc..

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I like your argument technique that if you don't have anything to say just go at person without any knowledge who that person is.
Right... Compared to your argument technique of diverting the original question and inserting your own pro-Ole questions into the debate?

All people asked was that you answer the question before asking your own. Ridiculous notion i know.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
This is facts, Ole right down there with Bruce as the worst managers in the league.
Bruce. Been saying he’s a rubbish manager since he spent an, at the time, huge £40m and still got relegated and then years later couldn’t get Villa promoted despite spending EPL money on transfers and wages.

Managers like Bruce are the reason young British managers don’t get top jobs, not foreign managers. Managing Newcastle is a huge job and so many young British managers have earned the right to be given that chance, but it went to Bruce.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Ole's bad no doubt.

But surely he's been screwed with a squad desperately short on quality in defence, midfield & attack to achieve anything decent.

I really wonder if even an experienced tactician as say Ancelotti or Allegri could work miracles with these guys. Or if one of the flavour of the month attacking coaches like ten Haag or Rose can get a tune out of this sorry bunch.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The injuries happened because of the way we are training, the way we are running and our pre season. So he can take blame for that as well.
That’s quite a reach, and no doubt a baseless one too.

haram

That’s quite a reach, and no doubt a baseless one too.
How is it baseless? Do you think our players dropping like flies with muscle injuries after Ole came in is a coincidence? Do you think there are no repercussions to higher intensity sprints and running?

Perseus

Its dangerous to get sucked into comparison, but I want to point out one thing about chelsea yesterday. Brighton packed their defensive third and played lone striker up front for counter. Yet chelsea midfield could create so many opportunities and the team had 24 freaking shots on goal. Some were like 5 yard misses. That's the value of good creative midfield.

It was a huge mistake to solely rely on pogba and not additing more creativity on priority last summer. To probably save millions the club will lose millions when we finish outside 6.
The snag was Chelsea had been chasing so much to get the ball back they lacked the composure to shoot straight. And shot when they shouldn't, eventually getting a deflection. Furthermore, BHA had only had three defenders instead of their normal six, (midfield was packed first half) so it was easy for an accurate pass to breach the defence if Chelsea were very quick.

In the end it was BHA careless complacency that cost them the game. Jorginho sprayed the ball around the ball like Pogba and had a field day.

Question: if you want to watch high pressing style like City and Liverpool the strikers have got to be good.

He'sRaldo

How is it baseless? Do you think our players dropping like flies with muscle injuries after Ole came in is a coincidence? Do you think there are no repercussions to higher intensity sprints and running?
It's more like normal intensity, since under Jose we were not doing those things at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s baseless because muscular injuries are a big part of the sport and have been since forever. Every player we have out with muscle injuries have been out with muscular injuries on occasion long before Ole came in.

Then there’s the implied ‘blame’ of the manager getting his players to do more running, which is bizarre in itself.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

I thought his pre-season was supposed to protect the squad from injuries in adapting to his style? He said they would be fit and raring to go at the start of the season. How come then even before the injuries, the team was deep, reactive and stagnant?

The defence is better because in AWB & Maguire, we have 2 of the best defenders in the league added to it. It's normal for the level to increase. Also, the defence is protected because we are very deep and don't collectively press high if at all. We sit off the opposition a lot.

About missing chances that's lame. Everyone can make those excuses. It's not like we're creating many clear cut chances per match anyway.

I criticise Ole because he's been here 9 months now and what has improved since he came in? We still are a Jose side by structure. Nothing new has been added at all. It's just deteriorating as time goes on.

The existing players are going backwards, coaching is non-existant, in-game management is abysmal. Everything that requires competence on the training ground or in matches he is completely out of his depth at.

Add in his results in the league since he became permanent manager; Played 14; Won 4, Drawn 4, Lost 6 with -5 GD. Two wins in last 11 Premier League matches. Club record 7 Premier League matches without an away win. No clean sheet away from home in any competition since his permanent appointment. Just 17 goals scored in last 20 matches. Scored more than 1 goal just once in last 14 matches.

That is why.

Go on, i would love to see you try and defend Ole against those facts.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

You're taking the post out of context.

He meant Ole is doing well considering the circumstances. That being a lack of quality in the midfield and attacking areas - compared to the top 6 sides at least - and an ever-increasing injury list, the majority of which are key players.
It's always easier to take things out of context to start a argument and that is good for own agenda. Good to see that there are those who can understand what I mean.

I thought his pre-season was supposed to protect the squad from injuries in adapting to his style? He said they would be fit and raring to go at the start of the season. How come then even before the injuries, the team was deep, reactive and stagnant?

The defence is better because in AWB & Maguire, we have 2 of the best defenders in the league added to it. It's normal for the level to increase. Also, the defence is protected because we are very deep and don't collectively press high if at all. We sit off the opposition a lot.

About missing chances that's lame. Everyone can make those excuses. It's not like we're creating many clear cut chances per match anyway.

I criticise Ole because he's been here 9 months now and what has improved since he came in? We still are a Jose side by structure. Nothing new has been added at all. It's just deteriorating as time goes on.

The existing players are going backwards, coaching is non-existant, in-game management is abysmal. Everything that requires competence on the training ground or in matches he is completely out of his depth at.

Add in his results in the league since he became permanent manager; Played 14; Won 4, Drawn 4, Lost 6 with -5 GD. Two wins in 11 Premier League matches. Club record 7 Premier League matches without an away win. No clean sheet away from home in any competition since. Just 17 goals scored in last 20 matches. Scored more than 1 goal just once in last 14 matches.

That is why.

Go on, i would love to see you try and defend Ole against those facts.
The only facts are those in bold. And those are taken out of bigger picture. The other is just your opinion. If you think that 9 months is enough for a manager to turn around "sinking" ship you are not going to like next 2-3 years. (With or without Ole). Just as example, Klopp. Not that I am saying that Ole is Klopp. Just that even a toppclass manager needed 4-5 years to get out full potential of the team. And we are talking about a team that was still better then our current is.

It's normal to make our defence better considering we splashed 130m pounds on it.

Still we have about 1 game from 20 or something that we ended up with a clean sheet so 10 times better is stretching it.

Who didn't the board give him this summer that he wanted? It's easy to always say it's the players fault and it's the board's fault but 2 points off relegation after 6-7 games isn't looking good for any manager, let alone United's one.
Well, with 54 goals last year it is big improvement. Maybe not 10 times but improvement. Sure, it helped buying two good defenders. But that don't take the fact that we are better defensivly.

Of course it is not optimal. But people must look at everything around. With Rashford, Marital and Pogba healthy we would be higher up. Don't you think that? Take out (Salah/Mane/Firminho), (Stelring/Aguero/Silva), (Kane, Son, Eriksen) and I believe they would also struggle. I'm not saying that without injuries we would be leading Premier League but we would definitly have more points.

If you look at preseason I believe that you could see that he wanted at least one midfielder and forward. If I remember well he talked that any leaving player would be replaced when he was asked about Sanchez/Lukaku. If he wanted and told our board and they denied/didn't managed to to that, then it is not Oles fault.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
exactly. Scary to think where we are currently considering who we have played. These next 3 games could be the end of him. Lose all 3 and i just fail to see how you keep him with us having a very real possibility of being in the relegation zone. I can't even imagine the embarrassment of being officially in the relegation slot this far into the season.
I think it's more than likely personally. With how competitive the Premier League is now, its absurd to think we can get by on nostalgia and sentimentality without coaching properly. I truly think we have some of the worst (if not the worst) coaches and manager setup in the league.

Looking at it, Ole is Norwegian level, Phelan was a ''Consultant Sporting Director'' in Australia and McKenna, Carrick are inexperienced at best. What qualifications do they have for us to expect them to be capable of challenging at the top of the league?

Steve Bruce is managing Newcastle at the bottom of the league. He's a former legend. Why isn't he here instead? He's 10x the coach of Ole. He has had many seasons of premier league experience (392 games as a Premier League manager means only 5 managers have managed more pl games than him) and promoted teams 4 times to the premier league (Joint record for most promotions). Bruce also has had two top-10 Premier League finishes, with Birmingham in 2003-04 and Sunderland in 2010-11.

In comparison, Ole relegated Cardiff then was sacked 17th in the Championship...

If we're near the relegation zone, you would think, even the most ardent of pro-Ole supporters would have to wake up and come to their senses eventually.

Last edited:

haram

It’s baseless because muscular injuries are a big part of the sport and have been since forever. Every player we have out with muscle injuries have been out with muscular injuries on occasion long before Ole came in.

Then there’s the implied ‘blame’ of the manager getting his players to do more running, which is bizarre in itself.
My God with everything we have seen and people still cannot see how flawed Ole's approach is. The injuries last season were NOT a coincidence. Shaw and Martial picking up muscle injuries in the same game and then Rashford doing his groin after consecutive games happened for a reason.

There was this fantasy amongst the fan base that we could just run and run but you have to manage it properly. We haven't, and even with a thin squad we continued to push this in pre season. It's not baseless at all. It's not sustainable and Ole is naive.

It's more like normal intensity, since under Jose we were not doing those things at all.
I don't care what it is. The approach was reckless and you have to manage it properly. When players started dropping in and around the Liverpool and PSG games do you really think it was just a coincidence? In order to keep up high intensity sprints you have to keep the ball better when you do recover possession. We simply cannot do it.

MisterLupus

My God with everything we have seen and people still cannot see how flawed Ole's approach is. The injuries last season were NOT a coincidence. Shaw and Martial picking up muscle injuries in the same game and then Rashford doing his groin after consecutive games happened for a reason.

There was this fantasy amongst the fan base that we could just run and run but you have to manage it properly. We haven't, and even with a thin squad we continued to push this in pre season. It's not baseless at all. It's not sustainable and Ole is naive.

I don't care what it is. The approach was reckless and you have to manage it properly. When players started dropping in and around the Liverpool and PSG games do you really think it was just a coincidence? In order to keep up high intensity sprints you have to keep the ball better when you do recover possession. We simply cannot do it.
You're obviously a bit lost when it comes to what makes a top side a top side - because work rate is an important - hugely so even - part of that. As a manager you have to get the best from your players - make them push themselves to their limits and sometimes beyond. That's why you have depth of squad - because injuries and fatigue is to be expected when your squad plays at maximum capacity. Our problem isn't related to injuries nor fatigue - it's not the fact that our manager demands our players to put a proper shift in which harms us - our problem is lack of depth and the manager not having any real quality to fall back on once attrition sets in. And that's not down to Ole - the fact that we managed to strengthen our defense but neglected to do so with our midfield and attack. He identified this problem and said out straight what he needed - problem is he only got half of what he asked for.

haram

You're obviously a bit lost when it comes to what makes a top side a top side - because work rate is an important - hugely so even - part of that. As a manager you have to get the best from your players - make them push themselves to their limits and sometimes beyond. That's why you have depth of squad - because injuries and fatigue is to be expected when your squad plays at maximum capacity. Our problem isn't related to injuries nor fatigue - it's not the fact that our manager demands our players to put a proper shift in which harms us - our problem is lack of depth and the manager not having any real quality to fall back on once these injuries occur. And that's not down to Ole - the fact that we managed to strengthen our defense but neglected to do so with our midfield and attack. He identified this problem and said out straight what he needed - problem is he only got half of it.
I know teams need work rate. I also know when I see naive tactics and approach. This fan base lives off fantasy so I am not surprised they don’t see anything wrong with how Ole tried to implement higher intensity.

MisterLupus

You'd rather he'd tell the team to half-arse it because avoiding injuries is more important than actually performing - thinking this would improve our results? They half-arsed it for half a season before he stepped in - and we haven't looked worse since the 1980s. Or do you think we had the quality to "play it smart" when he came in - that our passing and movement - our incredible assembly of individual artists - was good enough for us to achieve results without our players upping their efforts?

If so - then someone's living a fantasy alright - and that's you. Because we're not Barcelona we can't rely on magic to get us by these days - we still need sweat and blood I'm afraid.

haram

You'd rather he'd tell the team to half-arse it because avoiding injuries is more important than actually performing - thinking this would improve our results? They half-arsed it for an entire season before he stepped in - and we haven't looked worse since the 1980s. Or do you think we had the quality to "play it smart" when he came in - that our passing and movement - our incredible assembly of individual artists - was good enough for us to achieve results without our players upping their efforts?

If so - then someone's living a fantasy here alright - and that's you. Because we're not Barcelona we can't rely on magic to get us by these days - we still need sweat and blood I'm afraid.
When did I say they should half arse it? Explain to me what we are doing right now because I don't think the players even know themselves.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Or we could just be unfortunate with injuries. It’s not a new part of football. Solskjær has played the game himself, I’m sure he knows a few things about conditioning.

Shaw has gotten muscle injuries long before Ole came here. As has Martial.

haram

Or we could just be unfortunate with injuries. It’s not a new part of football. Solskjær has played the game himself, I’m sure he knows a few things about conditioning.

If that's what you really think, ok.

Mainoldo

I'm sure he doesn't. These comments are so stupid... Roy Keane once said David Healy would guarantee goals in the Premiership for Sunderland because if you're a goal scorer you will score goals in any league. :houllier:

MisterLupus

When did I say they should half arse it? Explain to me what we are doing right now because I don't think the players even know themselves.
You were criticizing him for pushing our players too hard weren't you? Blaming inuries on our shortcomings? Well the alternative to playing at high-intensity is to play smart rather than hard - holding back / half-arsing it physically then relying on skills and wits to compensate for effort. Something the best teams can do and something that's preferable I agree - but I stand by my sentiment that if you think we have the quality needed to be successful with that approach - then you're the one living a fantasy. And even if we did we'd still have to put in that extra effort when facing teams of equal quality - so even then the capacity for sustaining a high work rate is important.

Also I'll be lazy and just quote myself here - here's my impression of where we're at per now and why all of you guys so eager to slag off this rebuild should ease down and gain some perspective:

The negativity, revisionism and lack of objectivity on this forum is ridiculous. If you can't see any development since Solskjaer took charge then quite frankly either your eyes or your brains - probably both even - are betraying you.

The players who left are players everyone agreed last year needed to go - so Ole's done that right at least. The players brought in have all proved great improvements so far - so that part too is covered he obviously knows what kind of players we need. Mentality and morale has definitely improved within the squad - the players we have now at least try their best (even if their best may be inadequate for a top-side) and looks emotionally invested in what they're doing something I've not seen for years (with a few honorable exceptions of course). Passing and movement have definitely improved and we're attempting to create chances playing attractive football rather than relying on the opposition making a mess of themselves so that too is a positive. We're focusing on youth again and building for the long term - for the first time in ages - which is delightful to observe and also our defense is looking solid again - another step in the right direction.

Also Ole is drawing the right conclusions whenever we do mess up - so apparently he's not in the dark as to which areas needs strengthening.

Our lack of results is down to things that cannot be instantly fixed - and hence must be endured. At least two of the games we lost points from this season were games where our dominance warranted three points - so yeah bad luck but luck usually evens out over time so even though it's bitter I'm not particularly worried about it. Our squad is probably the thinnest and least experienced in the league and we really should have had two more seasoned midfielders and a top-class attacker to replace those who left - in the final third we're something of a mess (though still improved from last year where we were absolutely abysmal in that area) and our attackers are far from being clinical enough - but is that down to Ole? I doubt it - he said he wanted five signings during the summer and even identified the weak areas of our team correctly - yet he only got three (of which one was an unproven youngster even) - so something tells me this was more down to either lack of available talent or the board not acknowledging how urgent it was replacing those who left (Lukaku and Herrera in particular).

And like I said we're a young and inexperienced side - Solskjaer himself included - so to judge this as a finished product is beyond moronic. We won't win the league this year - get over it nobody in their right minds would expect this not from any manager. We might make top-four if this team manages to grow as the season progresses and we're lucky to avoid an injury crisis (like the one we're suffering from at present) - but like a lot of people said at the end of last season a top-six then hoping to win the EL is a more realistic way back into the CL. However if we keep progressing and building on what they've done so far during our January and summer windows - I think we'll be able to solidify a top-four next season and then step back up as potential challengers by 2022.

Personally I don't know yet if this project is what will get us back into the top flight but neither can anyone in here and truth is we won't know until Christmas 2020 because that's how rebuilding a shattered team works - it takes time. I'm encourages so far though because every step taken up until this point has been in the right direction - and my only grief is that we should have made one more step (reinforcing our midfield and attack as mentioned above). But like I said - I don't think this is down to our current manager as he himself too identified these issues already during our last campaign so he's obviously aware of them.

Either way - this is where we are at present. Let's not pretend it's Ole's fault because it's not - he's doing his best with what he's inherited and from an objective view you couldn't expect more from him or anyone else than what we're currently seeing. I bet most of the people who are slagging him off would be way more nuanced in their views if his name was Klopp or Pochettino - then suddenly as if by some stroke of magic you'd all be able see what the rest of us are seeing. This is Manchester United Football Club as of 2019 - get behind it or feck off to be honest. Supporters turning on their own team are harmful to that team - and that's the last this club needs right now.

Mainoldo

You were criticizing him for pushing our players too hard weren't you? Blaming inuries on our shortcomings? Well the alternative to playing at high-intensity is to play smart rather than hard - holding back / half-arsing it physically then relying on skills and wits to compensate for effort. Something the best teams can do and something that's preferable I agree - but I stand by my sentiment that if you think we have the quality needed to be successful with that approach - then you're the one living a fantasy. And even if we did we'd still have to put in that extra effort when facing teams of equal quality - so even then the capacity for sustaining a high work rate is important.

Also I'll be lazy and just quote myself here - here's my impression of where we're at per now and why all of you guys so eager to slag off this rebuild should ease down and gain some perspective:

In what games did our dominance warrant 3 points? But i can understand why you think that.. seen as you assume the only thing wrong with our squad was that our 'professional players' were some how less fit than anyone else in the league.

I mean Lingard looks like he could run a marathon.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm sure he doesn't. These comments are so stupid... Roy Keane once said David Healy would guarantee goals in the Premiership for Sunderland because if you're a goal scorer you will score goals in any league. :houllier:
It is not a fecking stupid comment to suggest that someone who played for 20 years and retired recently knows what type of exertion would increase chance of injury. He was a professional athlete, who suffered injuries and trained daily. Couldn’t care less what Keane said about David Healy, it’s in no way comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.