Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

I'm talking about current owners, they got plenty of criticism too and their money ball approach was called all sort of names.

We have other problems, no doubt about it.
I just want an idea behind hiring a manager. If Ed will sack Ole which I doubt he will soon unfortunately which manager we go for and why. Why was Ole hired in the 1st place. We must now hope Ed will get a manager which will work but he'll probably just go for the next available big name without thinking too much why that and that manager precisely.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I just want an idea behind hiring a manager. If Ed will sack Ole which I doubt he will soon unfortunately which manager we go for and why. Why was Ole hired in the 1st place. We must now hope Ed will get a manager which will work but he'll probably just go for the next available big name without thinking too much why that and that manager precisely.
Yeah agree with that.

DRM

This mess is on both Woodward and Ole.

Woodward for jumping the gun and hiring Ole. Why on earth did he not wait till the end of the season and make a decision then? Surely for this reason alone he has to go! Enough is enough and this man has made countless decisions that have all turned out to be detrimental to the club.

Ole for his shit transfer strategy. Yes I get it that some of the deadwood had to go, but what a monumental feck up letting Herrera, fellaini, Sanchez and Lukaku go without even replacing them. Relying on youth who don't have more than FIVE PL games experience between then was such a stupid and naive idea. Poor managerial planning.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
Yeah, keep Ole. Continually sacking managers after a bad start will damage your ability to get top managers to your club. People do not generally want to be somewhere they know they will be sacked after a bad start.

"Madrid sack managers all the time! They have standards!" - They also have to rely on managers with a strong connection to Madrid as a direct result (seriously, check the managerial appointments over the last 10 years) - and United, for some reason, does not (and never, ever has) inspire players or managers the same in the Madrid does. You simply cannot get away with that policy.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah, keep Ole. Continually sacking managers after a bad start will damage your ability to get top managers to your club. People do not generally want to be somewhere they know they will be sacked after a bad start.

"Madrid sack managers all the time! They have standards!" - They also have to rely on managers with a strong connection to Madrid as a direct result (seriously, check the managerial appointments over the last 10 years) - and United, for some reason, does not (and never, ever has) inspire players or managers the same in the Madrid does. You simply cannot get away with that policy.
You do realise that the 'bad start' actually continues from the last season's 'bad finish to the season', which seems to stem from a 'bad appointment', right?

It's not just 8 bad games in the league, it's last season's shit form ever since that PSG game (which was in March), shit transfer decisions, noticeable regress in our form, merely making it past Rochdale and Astana, struggling to score against Alkmaar, not being able to win an away game in God knows how long now, all that and you'll still hear that Ole's happy with that Alkmaar result. It makes me miss Jose and his throwing those cnuts under the bus because at least he didn't sound like he was struggling with a case of massive delusion.

Revaulx

Is this a situation worse than the post Busby-Pre Fergie era ? People say the late 70's and early 80's were bad...but was it as bad as this ?
Much worse than late 70s/early 80s! Sure there were disappointments (two cup final defeats) but the only really poor season was Sexton’s last: 80/81.

Apart from the early 70s when there was a total failure by the Board to back the manager by replacing past-it players, United in the post Busby-pre Fergie era were rarely terrible, and the football was generally of a decent quality. The overwhelming characteristic of the era was one of underachievement; that we just needed to be that tiny bit better in order to be really good. That’s hardly been the case over the last six months :annoyed:

Lentwood

Do fans not realise that Ole has taken a bullet for this club?

Do you all really think Ole wanted to let Herrera, Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellaini etc...leave the club knowing full well we most likely wouldn’t be able to replace them?

Ole knew full well what was going to happen. The man spent his playing career with the likes of Keane, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes, Giggs etc...etc....do you honestly believe he looked at Greenwood, Pereira, Chong, Fred, Mata and thought “yeah....these lads are champions!”

We all asked for a clear-out. We are getting one. Unfortunately, being a for-profit club owned by shareholders we were never ever going to spend £400m+ in one window. If you thought eight would leave and eight would come in, you’re seriously not learning anything from the previous 15yrs of our current ownership

So don’t you all see the point I am making? Do we think a senior manager like Pochettino, Allegri or Conte would have stood for the club selling Lukaku on deadline day? Do you think they would have let eight senior players go with just one senior player and two kids signed in the Summer? Of course not! And what would have been the result? Another season spent battling for top six with no hope for real change.

You’ve got to appreciate what the club are doing currently. 15yrs of bad decisions cannot be undone in one window. So what if we finish 10th this year? Is that any worse than 6th or even 4th for Manchester United?

The football is poor but we’re having to take our medicine now to build the foundations of a much more positive future

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Are the United Twitter account trolling us with that headline and that image?

Ban

Do you all really think Ole wanted to let Herrera, Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellaini etc...leave the club knowing full well we most likely wouldn’t be able to replace them?

Ole knew full well what was going to happen. The man spent his playing career with the likes of Keane, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes, Giggs etc...etc....do you honestly believe he looked at Greenwood, Pereira, Chong, Fred, Mata and thought “yeah....these lads are champions!”

We all asked for a clear-out. We are getting one. Unfortunately, being a for-profit club owned by shareholders we were never ever going to spend £400m+ in one window. If you thought eight would leave and eight would come in, you’re seriously not learning anything from the previous 15yrs of our current ownership

So don’t you all see the point I am making? Do we think a senior manager like Pochettino, Allegri or Conte would have stood for the club selling Lukaku on deadline day? Do you think they would have let eight senior players go with just one senior player and two kids signed in the Summer? Of course not! And what would have been the result? Another season spent battling for top six with no hope for real change.

You’ve got to appreciate what the club are doing currently. 15yrs of bad decisions cannot be undone in one window. So what if we finish 10th this year? Is that any worse than 6th or even 4th for Manchester United?

The football is poor but we’re having to take our medicine now to build the foundations of a much more positive future
I admire your optimism but you're being very naive.

In Rainbows

A much more positive future based on what? There is nothing on the pitch that indicates that. I'm ignoring results btw. I'm looking at what we're doing on the pitch.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
You do realise that the 'bad start' actually continues from the last season's 'bad finish to the season', which seems to stem from a 'bad appointment', right?
I'm not going to pretend that the run of form is anywhere near good enough. But the general point still stands, and trying to save a season under a new manager is a mug's game. Suck it up for the year, and hope when Pogba and (more importantly) Martial comes back you get a very long string of wins together. Not sure I see it, but again, continually starting again under a different manager is a mug's game. See: Watford. It can get worse and eventually just all fall apart.

Also, if you get a new manager in, I guarantee every player you want gone will stay for longer. The new manager will, as EVERY manager does, give every player a chance to see whether they can play well and adapt in that new manager's system and style. More Mata. More Matic. More tears for United fans.

Enigma_87

You know who

Erm, yes. 10th is always worse than 6th and 4th. He's also not guaranteed 10th. We're 12th, can't win for shit away from home and we host Liverpool next.

People need to realize that if he continues with that form relegation is a probability.

He won one more game in 17 compared to when he relegated Cardiff.

And no, he has not taken the bullet for the club. He will still leave with a fat paycheck.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I'm not going to pretend that the run of form is anywhere near good enough. But the general point still stands, and trying to save a season under a new manager is a mug's game. Suck it up for the year, and hope when Pogba and (more importantly) Martial comes back you get a very long string of wins together. Not sure I see it, but again, continually starting again under a different manager is a mug's game. See: Watford. It can get worse and eventually just all fall apart.

Also, if you get a new manager in, I guarantee every player you want gone will stay for longer. The new manager will, as EVERY manager does, give every player a chance to see whether they can play well and adapt in that new manager's system and style. More Mata. More Matic. More tears for United fans.
I mean they will irrespective of that because under Ole we've already extended shite like Jones, Rojo and, with all my love for him, Mata, we've given a massive payrise for nothing to Rashford and we're probably about to extend another fecking idiot in Lingard. So I mean, yeah.

edgar allan

This mess is on both Woodward and Ole.

Woodward for jumping the gun and hiring Ole. Why on earth did he not wait till the end of the season and make a decision then? Surely for this reason alone he has to go! Enough is enough and this man has made countless decisions that have all turned out to be detrimental to the club.

Ole for his shit transfer strategy. Yes I get it that some of the deadwood had to go, but what a monumental feck up letting Herrera, fellaini, Sanchez and Lukaku go without even replacing them. Relying on youth who don't have more than FIVE PL games experience between then was such a stupid and naive idea. Poor managerial planning.
We sold our club to owners that care only about the money that they can make out of us.
The cash cow still pays their mortgage on buying the club, once it is paid off they will look for a new cow to milk.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

I din't think so. Some managers say from the start who is staying and who is not. Look at Conte and Sarri in Inter and Juve. After 2 weeks they told to some players; "you can go, i will not play you"

Alabaster Codify7

So if we can't fix all the problems we should fix none of them?
It's crazy. Strangest mindset I've ever seen regarding a football fanbase.

"Our owners are shit so let's keep a manager dragging us into the relegation zone".

Why not just appoint a mannequin then? I mean, what do results or management even matter if that's the mindset?! Just watch the team drop a division or two without saying anything in some bizarre nose-cutting protest against the owners.

They probably didn't expect Ole to be given the permanent job and were thinking they'd get a top manager after the interim stint. Because of that, motivation was lost among many of them. That's my guess and that's just part of the whole problem.
This is my thinking. They're a bunch of flakey tossers who thought they were auditioning for some new top tier boss. When it became apparent that we weren't getting one,their efforts declined.

Ban

This forum has rules about that but he would deserve it. He is ruining this club with his incompetency. We are laughing stock because this amateur who is not man enough to accept that this job is not for him.
Same goes for Ed
Abuse him all you want then. I swear this place is sometimes no better than twitter.

Revaulx

And y'know what - Carrick, Phelan and McKenna have GOT to join him. We need a completely fresh start in coaching terms, this bunch are not coaching this team adequately. Let Mike and Kieran earn their chops in League 1 or 2. Phelan can go back to Australia and chill. Get them all out.
Indeed, but I feel really sorry for those two; even more than I do for Ole himself. The timing of their transition into the first team setup could not have been more unfortunate; Carrick has been learning his trade under a melting down Jose and a clueless Ole; McKenna gave up a role he was thriving in with the youngsters.

Maybe it’s time for McKenna to do as you suggest. Carrick needs some solid experience under a manager who actually does some coaching. There are a few on the south coast.

el3mel

Maybe you have enough patience to endure such crap 2 times a week for the next 10 months but I'm sure most definitely don't. "Sucking it up" may lead to us fighting for relegation.

el3mel

Indeed, but I feel really sorry for those two; even more than I do for Ole himself. The timing of their transition into the first team setup could not have been more unfortunate; Carrick has been learning his trade under a melting down Jose and a clueless Ole; McKenna gave up a role he was thriving in with the youngsters.

Maybe it’s time for McKenna to do as you suggest. Carrick needs some solid experience under a manager who actually does some coaching. There are a few on the south coast.
Both have been as terrible as Ole and they need to be sacked. What we see on the pitch indicates non existent coaching or any kind of work on training ground and they as responsible for this as Ole.

romufc

Maybe you have enough patience to endure such crap 2 times a week for the next 10 months but I'm sure most definitely don't. "Sucking it up" may lead to us fighting for relegation.
It is clear to see Ole has improved nothing. We are back to Moyes not even LVG or Jose. I cannot believe we have gone back 6 years with our style of play. It is also obvious we are not going to win another away game in a while.

We play Liverpool next, so that will be no win in 5 games.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ole isn't a very good manager.

That much is clear. His hear is in the right place and he loves he bones of Man United but he isn't good enough and who'd have thought it? A man who whose only success was at Molde isn't good enough to manage Manchester United.

Still I blame myself and I blame us. We all got excited because he had a massive bounce because he wasn't Jose Mourinho and we all thought he we'd somehow stumbled on the right but we haven't. There is more chance of me walking on the moon than Solskjaer taking this team back to any sort of glory and sooner we accept that the better.

It's not Ole's fault. It's not his fault that he was promoted to a job that we can't do and he deserves to walk out his head held high but sooner he walks out the better.
I agree that Ole is trying to do what is right for United and as you say his heart is in the right place. However to carry out the depth of rebuild needed at United you also need to be a top coach or be surrounded by top coaches to keep the ship on an even keel. This is not the case and we are plummeting. The board bowed to pressure instead of using their heads and are partly to blame for the mess we are in. In fact they are a lot to blame.

LARulz

I get why Glazers and Woodward are to bla

What footballing foundations is he setting? Playing young players is not a foundation if they don't know what they are meant to do. He as a manager should be providing a clear style of play which for nearly a year has not materialised

arnie_ni

Not sure how you check this, but surely this must be, or at least close to it, or worst wvrr goal scoring run in history?

Jburton

We are fighting relegation now, let's not be fooled. Ole has only one previous experience in the Prem and it is bring in charge of Cardiff when they were relegated.

Ole has no pedigree as a manager, Moyes had a better CV.

Was against this appointment from the start, 13 games does not a great manager make.

Hawks2008

I’m amazed that the transfer strategy has got away without much criticism. I keep hearing from pundits and the like that United are going in a different direction, we’re going after young British players like it’s a mind blowing new strategy that will take us back to the top.

City won’t be doing it. Liverpool won’t be doing it, Barce, Real? Nope. That’s our fecking grand plan to sign British talent? £200m down the road we’ll realise they’re overpriced and overhyped and change strategy again.
Yeah it's nuts, we should always be targeting the best homegrown talent but not every British player is the right signing. With rumoured links to the likes of Rice, Madisson, Chilwell, Longstaff etc. I refuse to believe that we cannot find players of equal or better quality for better value if our scouts looked beyond MOTD.

Wonder how much of the brexit transfer policy is Phelan's doing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Bizarre train of thought. He’s an ex player, landing a gig of a life time whilst becoming one of the highest paid managers in the world. Yeah he’s taking a real live round to the chest here.

HowYouDoin

I guess we made a mistake hiring him too early. If we waited until the summer as we should have he likely never would have been hired but oh well. I don't actually blame the board too much for this, we as fans pushed hard for Ole, too. This one is on us just as much.

Anywhoo, I do think Ole wanted to give the chance to youngsters, create the new generation 92, he wanted to do it like Sir Alex, hence his insistence on young British players, the problem is he isn't Sir Alex and times are different. When you have City, Liverpool and other teams spending trillions each year, well times are a bit different wouldn't you say. He is not Sir Alex, in fact he likely isn't Premier League caliber and the sooner we cut our losses the better.

The only question now is do we wait for Poch to get fired first or do we steady the ship anyway we know how and then either wait for Poch with another caretaker manager or just sign someone like Allegri outright. How much can we afford to wait? We are facing relegation as it is. How much worse can it get?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

You really think Ole has no input on who we're selling, who we're loaning etc?

What do you think he is? Mascott?

Giggsyking

So if he doesn't he'll get a dog's abuse from you and the like?
He is being payed generously to take that pressure, dont feel sorry for him, feel sorry for the fans who travel hundreds of miles to watch that shit, feel sorry for the fans who spare money all the year to travel to OT to at the end watch that shit show. I did not say abuse, I said If he wants to keep the love of the fans he should respect the fans and resign, But if he is holding on his dream job and taking it down to relegation because it is his dream job, he is the only one to blame.

HowYouDoin

BTW, I don't believe for a second that he's taking a bullet. Poor recruitment in the summer is all on Ole. It was his insistence and fantasy of getting young British players that is backfiring. Simply a stupid approach for a top team to take in todays day and age. Very few premier league teams can afford such a narrow minded approach.

If we signed Brozovic, Mandzukic and Bruno Fernandes for example imagine how different we'd look. It's simply irresponsible to sell Fellaini and Herrera, not get midfield reinforcement cuz youre holding out for freaking Sean Longstaff. Dito for Lukaku.

It's all Ole. It was his philosophy. It's a failed philosophy.

Giggsyking

This forum has rules about that but he would deserve it. He is ruining this club with his incompetency. We are laughing stock because this amateur who is not man enough to accept that this job is not for him.
Same goes for Ed
This

vanderpants

facts are facts.... just look at his record/stats, they are shocking for a club like ours (or any top 6 club) I never wanted Ole as manager but who on earth would want the job at this current time..........what a mess

Ban

He is being payed generously to take that pressure, dont feel sorry for him, feel sorry for the fans who travel hundreds of miles to watch that shit, feel sorry for the fans who spare money all the year to travel to OT to at the end watch that shit show. I did not say abuse, I said If he wants to keep the love of the fans he should respect the fans and resign, But if he is holding on his dream job and taking it down to relegation because it is his dream job, he is the only one to blame.
You say you didn't mention abuse and in the next post you say this to a post which mentions he'd deserve abuse. Sounds legit.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Abuse him all you want then. I swear this place is sometimes no better than twitter.
Ok, ok, i take it back. No player or coach doesn't deserve abuse. See how easy is to admit that you are wrong. But Ole deserves harsh treatment for not doing right thing and the right thing is to resign. We went to far lately in both ways. People like you are too kind to him, like he is doing us a favour with staying here. On the other hand, some of us attacking him from all guns because we are angry with what we see. And the way how he acts now like all is ok, he will fix it etc..is really annoying.
Be a man and resign, ffs.

Ban

Ok, ok, i take it back. No player or coach doesn't deserve abuse. See how easy is to admit that you are wrong. But Ole deserves harsh treatment for not doing right thing and the right thing is to resign. We went to far lately in both ways. People like you are too kind to him, like he is doing us a favour with staying here. On the other hand, some of us attacking him from all guns because we are angry with what we see. And the way how he acts now like all is ok, he will fix it etc..is really annoying.
Be a man and resign, ffs.
I don't think he's doing us a favor by staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.