Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

There's a difference between having
belief and hence patience in Mason Greenwood and the same in Kieron Richardson.
Sometimes i wonder, do people even watch the games, put results and league position on a side, what the hell they see.

fps

Yep, but we've got to win first, which is the big issue. We could have flown up the table many times in the last few weeks and stumbled.

Think Villa will be well up for it, hopefully we score first and can settle into our groove. But it could be yet another horrible day at the office if we start slow, don't take our chances and get caught out again.
Another draw would really deflate, momentum makes such a difference and the nature of the draw last week told us very little except Ole was trying to be too clever at the start and very end of the match.

MonkeysMagic

If a credible and better option became available, I would sack Ole in a heart beat as there is no room for sentiment and anyone who believes 'in time he will be a good manager' is very much deluded. That option is now available.

My issue is that the club is being run by incompetent morons who have shown themselves to be utterly clueless how to manage the footballing side. And whilst they preside over the incumbent and future managers, we will continue to slide further away from our competitors. How I wish fans had the power to sack the owners.

AneRu

I think if we dont get a result today ed will pull the trigger. 3 points today is a must then a good run or ole is just walking that plank for a few more weeks.

I could see woodward having poch in the seat in time for spurs. Seems like his style.

I'm probably 100% wrong of course.
Its typical Woodward but it would be a wrong move because Poch needs time out of the game to regain perspective. He surely had his part in the implosion at Spurs so, like Mourinho, he needs a break to reflect otherwise it would end in disaster.

Alabaster Codify7

That last sentence is spot on. The ole cult want to keep lowering the bar til it's low enough for him to reach it, we could finish 10th and they will spin it as if that's the best result any manager on the planet could deliver. It's always everyone's fault but Ole's. Standards have gone and too many are letting their heart rule their heads.

The board really lucked out with the perfect storm. They have a fanbase that is deluded in its loyalty towards the manager, so why not stick a beloved former player in that position and get 200% more deluded loyalty towards the manager. In 2021, when we're a year into a new manager's reign (and feck knows whether we'll be any better off really, depends who and how well he's backed) we will ALL look back at this as a bizarre period that eclipses that of the Moyes era.

fps

Its typical Woodward but it would be a wrong move because Poch needs time out of the game to regain perspective. He surely had his part in the implosion at Spurs so, like Mourinho, he needs a break to reflect otherwise it would end in disaster.
Seems united are in a good position, Ole to end of season may turn it around in which case he stays, or Pochettino comes in.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
So if we had another manager we’ve be going for PL title right now with the players we got? Oh yes. We had even better managers and players and still didn’t manage to get near title.
Everyone knew that results would be up and down. It is about having patience.
Of course we wouldn't be going for the PL title with other managers and no one expects Ole to be lifting it either.

There's so many little things that make winners. Tactics on how to set up properly, pressing in the right areas at the right time, triangulations, corner/free kicks, making the right substitutions at the right time, knowing when to tweak the system if things aren't going right and so much more.
Name me just one of these things that Ole does well, just one. It's nothing to do with having patience. It's seeing that after a year of him being in charge there's nothing on the pitch that makes (most) people think he's the man to take us forward. Of course injuries don't help but you don't even need to be a great manager, even a good one would know how to use the best resources that he has got and show he has some idea of basic tactics.

Yesterday Lampard called out his players for lack of character after losing to West Ham whereas Ole was all smiles after drawing to Sheffield and saying fantastic, last year we would of lost 4 or 5. There's a difference between constructive criticism and throwing your players under the bus but the mentality Ole has shown has been at best naive. For me personally he doesn't have that winning mentality needed to take us back to the top, not to mention being tactically naive. It just doesn't add up why people think he should be given time and money when he hasn't shown any of the traits needed to be the United manager.

Eric's Seagull

Seems united are in a good position, Ole to end of season may turn it around in which case he stays, or Pochettino comes in.
I hope they back Ole in January properly. Although I can't see us doing much, I think they should get a midfielder and striker in and see where we are at the end of the season than evaluate the situation from there.

Cantona in disguise

Yeah I agree with you on that mate. He needs a break to have a look at himself and what went wrong

fps

I hope they back Ole in January properly. Although I can't see us doing much, I think they should get a midfielder and striker in and see where we are at the end of the season than evaluate the situation from there.
I’d love to see him succeed, love it, it would reaffirm what makes Man Utd special. If the choices were a really good centre mid or actually signing Sancho, which would be the better choice for the club?

Not that there are many good players available in January, a hypothetical for fun.

Completely agree a whole season would then be 18 months and a serious chance to review.

Eric's Seagull

I’d love to see him succeed, love it, it would reaffirm what makes Man Utd special. If the choices were a really good centre mid or actually signing Sancho, which would be the better choice for the club?

Not that there are many good players available in January, a hypothetical for fun.

Completely agree a whole season would then be 18 months and a serious chance to review.
Although I would like to sign Sancho and sort the midfield out. I really like Sancho but if I had a choice I would take sorting the midfield out as we have been really thin in that area and Daniel has done well on the right on the right but I fear if he has an injury we could be stuck with Lingard or Mata out there so it is a bit of a hard one.

90 + 5min

Certainly not based on results or performances or morale.
I would say that moral comparing to last couple of years is great. When it comes to results, they are slightly worse but there is a big difference between what kind of players we have. When it comes to style, people wanted more attacking football and they got it.

If his 2nd is awful and lost the place by millions what do you call ole's season?

I dont mind if people think 2nd is nothing, but the double standard for ole is sickening.

For jose it's title or sacked. For ole is 3 years as long as we're not relegated.
That is just wrong. Jose got sacked because of his partnership with players and the club fell apart. He didn't got sacked because he didn't won title. I like Jose and he is top coach but he was wrong attacking the club and pretty much everyone when things didn't go his way. You could see from our preseson trip that last season would be dissaster.

He's had poor judgement about a lot of things unfortunately. It's why we are where we are.
Tell us about this poor judgement?

Well we’ve picked 4 pragmatic managers so I disagree again. The styles bar LVG have been consistent. Maybe we should attempt a forward thinking manager, might bring us success.
We picked 4 managers that had there own style. Every manager had to break down system put in place from previous managers. And because of them getting sacked pretty much instantly the only thing this changes did were breaking down the squad, morale and any kind of football system. When Ole came we were a broken team and a mess. He has now slowly began to bulid a system that I hope we can stick with it. Changing it again by sacking Ole is going back to the mess. The difference between us and Barcelona is that there is a system that every manager has to work by and if they don't then they will not last. They don't look at big managers, they look at who suits the system.

I think if we dont get a result today ed will pull the trigger. 3 points today is a must then a good run or ole is just walking that plank for a few more weeks.

I could see woodward having poch in the seat in time for spurs. Seems like his style.

I'm probably 100% wrong of course.
Lets go for a man that has never won anything and got sacked 2 of his 3 clubs he has managed. Lets go for a man that didn't won a trophy despite coming to Spurs full of internationalls and some stars.

fps

Although I would like to sign Sancho and sort the midfield out. I really like Sancho but if I had a choice I would take sorting the midfield out as we have been really thin in that area and Daniel has done well on the right on the right but I fear if he has an injury we could be stuck with Lingard or Mata out there so it is a bit of a hard one.
I feel the same, a leader in the middle would make a lot of difference.

90 + 5min

Of course we wouldn't be going for the PL title with other managers and no one expects Ole to be lifting it either.

There's so many little things that make winners. Tactics on how to set up properly, pressing in the right areas at the right time, triangulations, corner/free kicks, making the right substitutions at the right time, knowing when to tweak the system if things aren't going right and so much more.
Name me just one of these things that Ole does well, just one. It's nothing to do with having patience. It's seeing that after a year of him being in charge there's nothing on the pitch that makes (most) people think he's the man to take us forward. Of course injuries don't help but you don't even need to be a great manager, even a good one would know how to use the best resources that he has got and show he has some idea of basic tactics.

Yesterday Lampard called out his players for lack of character after losing to West Ham whereas Ole was all smiles after drawing to Sheffield and saying fantastic, last year we would of lost 4 or 5. There's a difference between constructive criticism and throwing your players under the bus but the mentality Ole has shown has been at best naive. For me personally he doesn't have that winning mentality needed to take us back to the top, not to mention being tactically naive. It just doesn't add up why people think he should be given time and money when he hasn't shown any of the traits needed to be the United manager.
So why is there a witchhunt on Ole if there is common understanding that we will not be going for title this year? Why don't people back him because he is doing many little things right. Like getting back to basics, giving youngsters a chance, playing attacking football (comparing to last few years), getting rid of players RedCafe wanted out and much more. I know that results are important but nothing can be fixed overnight. Patience is needed.

You are getting angry at his smiling? He is right. Last year we would have lost that kind of match. Nothing wrong saying that. What should he say. I want 25 new player that are like Ronaldo and Messi and throw the team under bus just because we drew a decent PL side away from home that have made life difficult for lots of top sides? And do you realy think that Ole in media is the same person as Ole in dressing room? You would be suprised.

We should be looking at if we are making progress from last year. Not just results but as a club and squad. I say yes and because of that he should be given more time. Things takes time. We need to have patience.

The Bloody-Nine

They don’t change the style and mentality. They pick a manager that suits their team and not like us who were damaging and destroying structure with so many different styles.

I mentioned them because just that someone doesn’t know or believe in those people it is not always a bad choice.

Ole broke dominance by Rosenborg and made Molde best team for years to come setting standards

So if Allegri comes we win the League instantly and with same team as Ole has now. You can promise that?

Do you see what you write? Why don’t you mention injuries? Or the team? Why don’t you mention going through to next round in Europa League and still in League Cup? Why don’t you mention beating Chelsea, Leicester and being only team so far that have taken points from Liverpool?

Looking at results yes. Looking at bigger picture as a club we are on the right way.

So if we had another manager we’ve be going for PL title right now with the players we got? Oh yes. We had even better managers and players and still didn’t manage to get near title.
Everyone knew that results would be up and down. It is about having patience.
Obviously I can't promise that. I can, however, promise you that he is a vastly superior manager to Ole.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Constructive criticism
So why is there a witchhunt on Ole if there is common understanding that we will not be going for title this year? Why don't people back him because he is doing many little things right. Like getting back to basics, giving youngsters a chance, playing attacking football (comparing to last few years), getting rid of players RedCafe wanted out and much more. I know that results are important but nothing can be fixed overnight. Patience is needed.

You are getting angry at his smiling? He is right. Last year we would have lost that kind of match. Nothing wrong saying that. What should he say. I want 25 new player that are like Ronaldo and Messi and throw the team under bus just because we drew a decent PL side away from home that have made life difficult for lots of top sides? And do you realy think that Ole in media is the same person as Ole in dressing room? You would be suprised.

We should be looking at if we are making progress from last year. Not just results but as a club and squad. I say yes and because of that he should be given more time. Things takes time. We need to have patience.
Ole was in charge from December last season. Since Mars everything has gone downhill, to put it mildly. Our squad is probably the worst I have seen in at least 25 years, probably more. It’s hard to see progress when it’s mostly one step forward then two step back.

So... When is the right time to criticize a manager?

Going into a season praising the squad with such a thin midfield is naive and tells us something about our managers mindset and knowledge. Either we believe he’s honest in his own words or we have to assume we can’t always trust his words. Wish is it?

There are so many time he contradict himself, that’s not a good sign. His expressions is often not in sync with his team’s performances, that’s also worrying.

To say he needs time and patience doesn’t solve above problems. Time don’t heal incompetence. Patience doesn’t change reality.

Results is the best indicator if we’re going in the right or the wrong direction. What else?

The Bloody-Nine

People acting like we're expecting Ole to win the league are simply being dishonest. No one is expecting that. Expecting better than our worst start in 30 years and sitting in 11th place? Yeah, I don't think that's unfair. It's amazing how people are willing to accept this fall in standards. Ed has played a blinder in that regard. If Ole wasn't a club legend I can guarantee you the people making excuses for him wouldn't be.

The Red Thinker

I can see why people don't tolerate our current mediocrity. I understand why they feel this way. But let me make a case as to why this phase we are in is crucial and will act as the bedrock to our future success.

1. We've had Moyes, LVG and Mourinho since Sir Alex left. Each manager bringing their thoughts and philosophies into the club. Moyes couldn't convince our stalwarts of his ability and that ended quickly. LVG had a clear ideology of bringing through youngsters while converting the club's playing style to the Dutch archetype. He was backed in the transfer market and we saw a flood of players come in and go. Half of them didn't pass mustard. Rojo remains from that era, but the likes of Blind and Herrara are no more. You can make a case saying he should have been given time, but his brand of football was dated and in the PL it bored us all half to death. We asked ourselves - "Why is this not working? We have some quality players... but why is this so poor?" We were top 4, won the FA Cup, but our ambitions didn't allow for just that. So, we moved on.

2. Mourinho deserves a point of his own. He came in and brought forth a ruthless winning mentality into the squad. Only problem was, the transfer policy was very erratic and Mourinho bought players who were quality but maybe didn't have the right attitude. Mourinho was backed in the market - anyone who doesn't see this is lying to themselves - We need new defenders? We bought Bailly and Lindelof. They were supposed to solve our problems but didn't for differing problems. We got in Lukaku, Pogba and an extremely overpaid Sanchez. Now regardless of whether there was pressure from the board to sign these big names for the brand that is Manchester United - Mourinho should have been strong enough to resist a Sanchez. Now, no one could have predicted just how terrible he would become, but buying an ageing Star when you have young talents like Martial and Rashford in the ranks was a bad move... and that salary? How on earth would that not upset the dressing room? It was egregious and he as Manager should have stopped it. In the end, the team stopped playing for him. Legacy players from the Moyes and LVG eras still remained in the system and the new buys just couldn't elevate the team. In the end, there were too many cliques in the team and Mourinho was doomed.

3. Ole comes in and revives the team. We have incredible streak of form, but it all goes sideways in the end of last season. We had some great moments - Tactically outclassing Tottenham at Wembley, PSG turnaround was an incredible moment. Fast forward to today and we sit 11th on the points table with a record low number of points after 13 games. But let me tell you what is different about this season to seasons prior where the team capitulated.

a. The squad is light. Why? Ole made it clear as day to everyone at the club that anyone who doesn't want to be at the club can leave. The culture at the club had to change and that changes when you remove legacy players and those who just don't want to play for the shirt or just weren't good enough. Lukaku, Fellaini, Herrera, Blind, Sanchez - gone! Matic is next to go. There is no more room for moaning and whinging. No more room for social media savvy-ness. Ask yourself when was the last time Jesse Lingard put up a shitty dancing video from the locker rooms? Ole has come in and made it clear that only the worthy will survive the cull. He was not backed well enough by Matt Judge and Woodward in replacing these departures and so we are where we are. But there is at least a clear direction. Recruitment has shown that - 3 solid buys. All 3 in the first team.

b. Youngsters are shining. Rashford has bloomed, Martial is looking better, Mctominay has evolved (Jose deserves some credit for that), Williams has emerged. If you're good enough, you will start. There is a focus on British players and why not - England have started producing some of the world's most technical players - all that's left is attitude and Ole is ensuring that only those with the right ones will thrive at Old Trafford. Take Tahith Chong. He was our Jimmy Murphy YOung POTY for 2018. Since then, he has been given chances in the first team and hasn't quite shown his promise. A few games away from starts with Greenwood preferred, we hear stories of him wanting to leave. He has only played against Astana since and in that game - he showed why he doesn't play in the big leagues, missing the chance of the match that led to our capitulation. Ole has kept the door open for him to fight for his place, but if the attitude ain't right - Ole has shown the door too.

c. We are finally clearing deadwood and are recruiting smartly. We are blooding in youngsters. There is a vision in place. Ed Woodward himself has come out saying that he and Ole are in perfect alignment on transfer targets.

For now, this is a gamble worth taking. This season feels like real transition and it has a distinct feel of how are club should be. The results aren't going our way, but our ideal Starting 7 is finally taking shape.

I just hope they back him in December and see how the season ends. If there is an uptick, a direction - then this is a punt worth taking. When the likes of legendary managers have failed - this approach, the old fashioned way, may not be a bad idea.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
People acting like we're expecting Ole to win the league are simply being dishonest. No one is expecting that. Expecting better than our worst start in 30 years and sitting in 11th place? Yeah, I don't think that's unfair. It's amazing how people are willing to accept this fall in standards. Ed has played a blinder in that regard. If Ole wasn't a club legend I can guarantee you the people making excuses for him wouldn't be.
Where did you expect us to finish this season?

Our average position since SAF retired is 5th and most would agree this is the worst squad we've had in that time.

The Bloody-Nine

Where did you expect us to finish this season?

Our average position since SAF retired is 5th and most would agree this is the worst squad we've had in that time.
I expect us to qualify for Europe. Now I've read a report that Ole doesn't even have to do that and his job is safe. And this isn't the worst squad we've had in 30 years.

Leftback99

I expect us to qualify for Europe. Now I've read a report that Ole doesn't even have to do that and his job is safe. And this isn't the worst squad we've had in 30 years.
Since SAF retired it comfortably is.

I expected 6th. 'IF' we win today we're between 5th-7th so i wouldn't have much to complain about. If we don't win then maybe i do.

How we've got to the point where i only expect 6th pre season is another debate, very little to do with Solskjaer.

The Bloody-Nine

Since SAF retired it comfortably is.

I expected 6th. 'IF' we win today we're between 5th-7th so i wouldn't have much to complain about. If we don't win then maybe i do.

How we've got to the point where i only expect 6th pre season is another debate, very little to do with Solskjaer.
Mourinho got the majority of this bunch (minus the world's most expensive defender) to 2nd. That's what good managers do. Get more from the sum of their parts. Ole is getting less. And people are fine with it. I mean, can I expect to beat Villa at home? Because I don't. That's where we are.

Paul_Scholes18

Mourinho got the majority of this bunch (minus the world's most expensive defender) to 2nd. That's what good managers do. Get more from the sum of their parts. Ole is getting less. And people are fine with it. I mean, can I expect to beat Villa at home? Because I don't. That's where we are.
Mourinho had Smalling, Lukaku, Fellaini and Herrera though so he had a stronger squad.

Leftback99

Mourinho called it one his best ever achievement getting that squad to 2nd. It was also helped by a ridiculous season from De Gea. If De Gea produced anything like that form we'd be top 4 comfortably.

He isn't getting less than the sum of their parts he's getting what i expected, particularly with the best parts consistently missing.

The Bloody-Nine

Mourinho had Smalling, Lukaku, Fellaini and Herrera though so he had a stronger squad.
You just named three players the majority of our fans were adamant weren't good enough and couldn't wait to get rid of. Ole brought in Maguire, James and Wan. There's not a huge difference. Except in the quality of our manager.

The Bloody-Nine

Mourinho called it one his best ever achievement getting that squad to 2nd. It was also helped by a ridiculous season from De Gea. If De Gea produced anything like that form we'd be top 4 comfortably.

He isn't getting less than the sum of their parts he's getting what i expected, particularly with the best parts consistently missing.
We really wouldn't. De Gea can't score goals for us sadly.

Leftback99

We really wouldn't. De Gea can't score goals for us sadly.
We conceded 28 goals 17/18 compared to expected goals of 43. This season we're 15 compared to an expected 13. We were either very lucky or De Gea was brilliant, probably both. We found out at the start of 18/19.

The Bloody-Nine

We conceded 28 goals 17/18 compared to expected goals of 43. This season we're 15 compared to an expected 13. We were either very lucky or De Gea was brilliant, probably both. We found out at the start of 18/19.
If you want a discussion about 'expected' anything I'm not your man. I find the entire thing utterly moronic. Just being honest with you. Others are fine to do as they please but I can't take it seriously.

Paul_Scholes18

We defended well too. Gave little time and space to the attackers. Now it is easier to open us up and get more time.

In the Arsenal game De Gea totally dominated though and saved us I remember. Although in most of our wins we defended well.

Leftback99

If you want a discussion about 'expected' anything I'm not your man. I find the entire thing utterly moronic. Just being honest with you. Others are fine to do as they please but I can't take it seriously.
I 'expected' as much.

De Gea was a major reason we finished 2nd and hasn't been at the same level since. If you disagree that's fine. Leicester won the league but no one thought they'd even get top 4 the season after. What's the difference?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

I wouldn't say there's a witch hunt on Ole. It's more a case of people not thinking he's good enough to manage us and are voicing their opinions and are not backing him because he's doing so many little things WRONG which I explained in my previous post. I don't think he's doing the basics right, it's true he's giving youth a chance but he doesn't have much choice with the squad being left so bare. Attacking football? I just don't see it. Maybe against Norwich and Brighton but that doesn't set the bar very high.

Results may well be important but they're not everything. If we were on the same points as we are now but playing aggressive, high pressing, attacking football or even a definitive style then I definitely would change my mind about Ole and saying we don't have the players to play this system isn't true. We have a lot of high energy players in the squad. Instead when I watch us I see timid performances from people who don't really know what their role is supposed to be especially when we're attacking or pressing. There isn't a lot of structure to it which makes me belive tactically Ole is out of his depth. It's not something I'm making up to suit an agenda but more what's in front of everyones eyes.

Ole has a difficult job in getting the club brought back on track. There's no denying that. It's true the players seem more motivated and his signings seem to be fitting in but games are won and lost on the pitch. You can be the best motivator in the world but if a manager can't grasp tactics then for me it's fighting a losing battle. Give me something on the pitch were Ole looks like he's holding his own then maybe I will change my mind about him but unfortunately at the minute my mind is made up.

The Bloody-Nine

I 'expected' as much.

De Gea was a major reason we finished 2nd and hasn't been at the same level since. If you disagree that's fine. Leicester won the league but no one thought they'd even get top 4 the season after. What's the difference?
Leicester lost some of their best players to rivals? Not sure what point you're making. You think if De Gea was playing out of his skin we'd be comfortably top 4. I disagree wholeheartedly due to our attacking play.

SteveW

Certainly not based on results or performances or morale.
Your morale has nothing to do with it. The team seems determined and in decent spirits
If his 2nd is awful and lost the place by millions what do you call ole's season?

I dont mind if people think 2nd is nothing, but the double standard for ole is sickening.

For jose it's title or sacked. For ole is 3 years as long as we're not relegated.
If Ole signs shit players for 3 years this will make sense.

Foxbatt

I have given up on Ole. I know he is not the man and he will probably be kept until things go terribly wrong and most of the pundits and here would blame the Board and for sure they are to blame too but not only the party to be blamed for this mess.

Leftback99

Leicester lost some of their best players to rivals? Not sure what point you're making. You think if De Gea was playing out of his skin we'd be comfortably top 4. I disagree wholeheartedly due to our attacking play.
They lost Kante and signed replacements. Besides players are basically irrelevant i'm told on here, we haven't had Pogba and missed Martial for large parts of the season but that's not allowed to be an 'excuse' for poor results.

The Bloody-Nine

They lost Kante and signed replacements. Besides players are basically irrelevant i'm told on here, we haven't had Pogba and missed Martial for large parts of the season but that's not allowed to be an 'excuse' for poor results.
Every manager has to deal with injuries. Goes with the territory.

I'll ask you what I ask the other Ole in lads. Was Ole in your top 10 managers to replace Jose? And do you believe Ed Woodward is knowledgeable about football and makes shrewd decisions?

I already know the answer to both.

Leftback99

Every manager has to deal with injuries. Goes with the territory.

I'll ask you what I ask the other Ole in lads. Was Ole in your top 10 managers to replace Jose? And do you believe Ed Woodward is knowledgeable about football and makes shrewd decisions?

I already know the answer to both.
So every manager deals with losing good players then. Leicester should have stayed top like we should always finish at least 2nd, because we did it once right?

When he was hired permanently? Yes, he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.