Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It is pointless saying anything sensible here as the whole mantra seems to be that he got rid of the deadwood and he has a plan. In reality his deadwood is being missed now and he has no plan at all apart from playing Lingard as the attacking midfield player.
I think there is room to be had for debate. I am Ole out, but I enjoy reading some of the more well thought out Ole in posts. I can even see myself agreeing with certain things and changing my perspective a little as I read. At the end of the day, I just want what’s best for my team.

We are all on the same side, which is why it’s so disappointing to see Ole being called an “idiot” by ole outters, or condescending posts from the ole inners, stating that we “just don’t get it”

I want Ole to leave tomorrow, but I still watched until the end last night hoping we got a shot on target. I still had my midweek ruined by the Arsenal game which actually hurt to watch!

I think it would help a lot of us to remember when we are replying that the person we are replying to wants the same thing as us, a successful Manchester United.

We are just debating the best way of getting there.

Foxbatt

It's actually ridiculous how hypocritical the likes of Rio and Scholes are. I hope to god we never appoint a former player as manager again - especially a legend and fan favourite. It feels sour to criticise him but holy crap our former players seemed to love scrutinising LvG and Mourinho now they're mostly silent in what is our worst season since SAF retired.

Have we forgotten this:

I don't think so. Rio was indirectly scathing after the Arsenal game. He is not going to come out and say openly anything against Ole but he was very straightforward.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It's amazing to me that Oles big controversy is that he isn't angry enough in public.

Have people forgotten he's the Baby Face Assassin

Or the red card professional foul
He was called the baby face Assassin because he knew how to pull the trigger on scoring goals not because he was creeping up on defenders and choking them to death with piano wire.

SuperiorXI

You see managers flapping about all the time on the touchline. Pep is one of the worst at this.

Think I read once a manager say he's not trying to convey any message as the players don't understand it, just trying to rile them up.

Foxbatt

I think there is room to be had for debate. I am Ole out, but I enjoy reading some of the more well thought out Ole in posts. I can even see myself agreeing with certain things and changing my perspective a little as I read. At the end of the day, I just want what’s best for my team.

We are all on the same side, which is why it’s so disappointing to see Ole being called an “idiot” by ole outters, or condescending posts from the ole inners, stating that we “just don’t get it”

I want Ole to leave tomorrow, but I still watched until the end last night hoping we got a shot on target. I still had my midweek ruined by the Arsenal game which actually hurt to watch!

I think it would help a lot of us to remember when we are replying that the person we are replying to wants the same thing as us, a successful Manchester United.

We are just debating the best way of getting there.

I was happy that he got a chance after the toxic time of Jose later on. Things lightened up and here we had Ole with a smile on his face and we playing attractive football. Then we beat PSG against all odds and I thought we have turned a corner. Jose how toxic he was took the team to the 2nd place and won us 2 trophies. I knew we would not win anything last year and may not even make the CL spots. It was alright. But once he got made permanent things started going bad.
He became a populist manager. Just sound bites and no substance. He got rid of Fellaini and Lukaku. Honestly I had no problems of him getting rid either of them but I have problems of him not getting any replacements that are better than them. It is extremely bad management to get rid of assets and not replace them especially if you have to use them.
Then he talked about youth and all that. Anyone with a sense would know that he is speaking out of his backside. Our youth side has not been that great anyway. Only a few players are still good enough to be even on the bench.
What made me more upset was that he could not even get a corner kick right. I mean after almost an year we still have not been able to take more than one corner correctly in a match. I do not think we have ever taken a near post flick corner. Arsenal scored from theirs against us. Ours is always trying to find Maguire at the far post and most of the time the angle he comes in makes it difficult to get his header on target. We do not block their keeper and neither do we block their defenders who are trying to block our headers.
As Rio said lately it seems that we have no plays. Just give the ball to Martial and Rashford and hope they can do something. That is not football. That is lottery.

People should read G. Neville's book about how they beat Barca in the semi final in the CL. He said Carlos Quiroz made them practice their positional play without the ball for hours till they got it right. Without the ball. Do you think we practice anything like this now? We do not seem to know where the nearest United player is on the pitch.
Now we seem to be trying to get Longstaff or Rice or Grealish. Why? If they are world beaters or world class players they will not be playing for Newcastle, WestHam or Villa.

I want United to win and win soon but I cannot see anyway we are going to win with Ole Gunnar as the manager. All this talk of 6 transfer windows is pure moonshine.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It is pointless saying anything sensible here as the whole mantra seems to be that he got rid of the deadwood and he has a plan. In reality his deadwood is being missed now and he has no plan at all apart from playing Lingard as the attacking midfield player.
Exactly.

ShinjiNinja26

Are we all living in some sort of alternate reality or something because it seems like it’s only fans on here or online that want him out. There’s absolutely no suggestion by the media or match goers that he’s under any sort of pressure despite serving up crap consistently. Teflon Ole!

Paul_Scholes18

It's actually ridiculous how hypocritical the likes of Rio and Scholes are. I hope to god we never appoint a former player as manager again - especially a legend and fan favourite. It feels sour to criticise him but holy crap our former players seemed to love scrutinising LvG and Mourinho now they're mostly silent in what is our worst season since SAF retired.

Have we forgotten this:

That didn't sound that harsh at all. Only thing he did was maybe defend Rooney who didn't help things being totally past it and too slow up front.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
He was called the baby face Assassin because he knew how to pull the trigger on scoring goals not because he was creeping up on defenders and choking them to death with piano wire.
Are you sure about that? I thought he was a hitman back in Norway?

Swearing Budgie

Ole reckons we looked "jaded" versus Wolves last night.

Erm... Yeah mate. That's our style. You are the only person able to change that.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Why do the people that want to keep Ole never talk about his tactics though. It's literally the biggest reason people want him out. Its why he's termed clueless.

Is it that you agree with his tactics and style of play? Is this how you want us to be playing every week? Is this the attacking football you envisioned Ole was talking about when he came in? Is this what you thought we would play like a year after Ole came in?

Mainoldo

@Mainoldo You've been beating the same drum hysterically for the last 15 years. Don't you get tired?

This was in July 2006. We went on to win the league this season and Scholes spent the next 7 years proving he wasn't officially past it. I think Rooney did fairly well is a striker, so that was indeed just you. We lost out on Ballack and sadly that wasn't actually the end for you because here you are 15 years later still wittering on like a cursed child.

This was also in July 2006, we went on to score 83 goals that season, almost 20 more than anyone else because the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo finally kicked on. Maybe it's time to learn from experience and show the same patience and faith in Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and James?

Another post from 2006, this time November. Again, we went on to win the league this season and signed Tevez in the summer.

Now I'm not saying we are anywhere near winning the league, that would be ridiculous. What I am saying is that all of these posts came from 2006, a moment in time when we had a squad with players people like you thought were dross, finished or had a bit of potential but would never reach the heights a club like United should be aspiring to.

In my opinion, we're not far off that position now but for the absence of the likes of Giggs and Scholes (who you declared finished) which is a massive factor that cannot be ignored. Regardless, I still think that our squad has a strong core and has been well pruned over the last year to ensure that we can now start fleshing it out with quality and building something formidable. Whether Solskjaer will be the manager who profits from that is another debate for me because while I am sure he would love to and is trying his damned hardest to, I think his role is actually more pragmatic and more sensible. He's been asked to do a job no top manager would accept. To take on the responsibility of seeing that the likes of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, McTominay, James, Williams, Garner, Chong and any young player with enough talent to make it here long term gets the opportunity to develop and prove themselves on the pitch.

The fact we promoted McKenna from the U23 setup and brought Phelan back in suggests to me that that is what the mission is. It's a genuine 3 year plan rather than yet another quick fix with buckets of cash. Rashford and Martial are both kicking on already this season along with McTominay, Greenwood has been a sensation, James had an amazing start and now needs to push on through this inevitable lull, Williams looks nailed on for the left back spot and even if the likes of Chong, Garner and Gomes don't make it here long term, the example we have set to the youth players that they will get to play for the first team if they are good enough and work hard enough will ripple down through the age groups and have them all twice as focused and working twice as hard.

I realise it's hard to see any positives when the team is so inconsistent but we're 3 signings away from having a side that should comfortably get top 4 next season and with another 2 or 3 signings the following year we should be looking to challenge for the title as Liverpool finish their cycle and City begin theirs.

De Gea(32)
Wan Bissaka(25) - Taunzebe(25) - Maguire(29) - Williams(22)
McTominay(26) - NewSigning
NewSigning
Greenwood(20) - Martial(27) - Rashford(25)

Squad: James(25), Lindelof(28), Garner(21), Chong(23)

If you can't look at that core of 14 players and their ages in 3 years time and find any hope or excitement then you should find another club or sport. If we can add 6-8 more top quality signings over the next 3 summers then we should be looking at a top quality side and one with plenty of years of growth together too. In 3 years, Salah will be 30, Firmino 31, Van Dijk 31, Mane 30 and I'd wage good money that there will be a level of physical and/or mental burn out by then under Klopp and Guardiola will be a distant memory.

That's why although I might moan about Solskjaer occasionally and moan about individual performances quite often, I'm optimistic on the whole. I don't think Solskjaer is a long term bet, I do think he's doing a very specific job right now that very few top bracket managers would be interested in doing. I expect said top bracket managers to be very interested in taking over from him in a season or two when the squad is ready to take off.
:lol: Some good stuff!! Thanks for that. Bare in mind I was like 16 years old... take of that what you will..

I was also the guy that said the majority was crazy to think Ronaldo needed selling after the debacle with Rooney. But not even I knew we would seek Ruud and Ronaldo would turn into a goal scoring machine. But hands up I got that wrong.

As for Ole I can guarantee you I will not be proven wrong. But let me know if I was wrong in another 16 years if the world is kind to me.

Also which players don’t I rate exactly? :lol:

Last edited:

Handsome Devil

You see managers flapping about all the time on the touchline. Pep is one of the worst at this.

Think I read once a manager say he's not trying to convey any message as the players don't understand it, just trying to rile them up.
It would be a bit difficult for Ole to convey a touchline message to one of his players anyhow. He would have to get a message to that players "people" who would then have to mull over it before getting back to the player. Match would be over.

Daft Lad

What would have happened if the Dybala or Eriksen deals had gone through? "Sorry guys, you'll have to wait until summer 2020". It's clear that Ole expected more players last summer.

7 players have left under Ole. Lukaku and Sanchez because they're not the right characters, Fellaini and Smalling don't fit the style, Valencia and Darmian weren't good enough and Herrera was not through choice.

On top of that, Matic, Mata, Young, Jones, Bailly and Rojo are still at the club to make up the numbers and are all on the way out. That is 13 players, half a playing squad.

The plan is to replace those players with "United players", players with the right character. You can't sign 13 players in one summer, especially when your recruitment department is as poor as United's.
I just think people are over complicating this.

My question is even simpler. Taking budgets, players promised nor not promised, clear outs etc Is Ole getting the best out of the squad?

1. No he is underperforming they are better than the league position
2. Yes he is, the league position, performance and results are just about right
3. Yes and more. He's over-achieving and squeezing every bit of performance out of the squad and then some.

I believe it's firmly one.

Chairman Steve

Are we all living in some sort of alternate reality or something because it seems like it’s only fans on here or online that want him out. There’s absolutely no suggestion by the media or match goers that he’s under any sort of pressure despite serving up crap consistently. Teflon Ole!
If it’s anything like most football punditry, they don’t give a feck unless it’s a big game. Last two major games Utd had against City and Spurs were wins so in their eyes he’s doing his job fine at worst. It’s only when the results get really bad when the media decide to take notice. They go off of results and usually don’t see that we play boring, tepid football unless it’s a big game where fortunately the better team play exactly how OGS wants them to play so we do better than usual... and since pundits like fence sitting and not wanting to offend potential mates, they’ll just default to “Yeah he’s going through a blip but they just need to give him time”

Plus Sky’s main football pundit is a good friend of the manager and he is also a failed manager himself, so he’s not going to go in hard because of the friendly connection as well as he got lit up as a manager himself in Spain, plus part of an England team setup that were comfortably eliminated by Iceland of all teams in Euro 2016.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I was happy that he got a chance after the toxic time of Jose later on. Things lightened up and here we had Ole with a smile on his face and we playing attractive football. Then we beat PSG against all odds and I thought we have turned a corner. Jose how toxic he was took the team to the 2nd place and won us 2 trophies. I knew we would not win anything last year and may not even make the CL spots. It was alright. But once he got made permanent things started going bad.
He became a populist manager. Just sound bites and no substance. He got rid of Fellaini and Lukaku. Honestly I had no problems of him getting rid either of them but I have problems of him not getting any replacements that are better than them. It is extremely bad management to get rid of assets and not replace them especially if you have to use them.
Then he talked about youth and all that. Anyone with a sense would know that he is speaking out of his backside. Our youth side has not been that great anyway. Only a few players are still good enough to be even on the bench.
What made me more upset was that he could not even get a corner kick right. I mean after almost an year we still have not been able to take more than one corner correctly in a match. I do not think we have ever taken a near post flick corner. Arsenal scored from theirs against us. Ours is always trying to find Maguire at the far post and most of the time the angle he comes in makes it difficult to get his header on target. We do not block their keeper and neither do we block their defenders who are trying to block our headers.
As Rio said lately it seems that we have no plays. Just give the ball to Martial and Rashford and hope they can do something. That is not football. That is lottery.

People should read G. Neville's book about how they beat Barca in the semi final in the CL. He said Carlos Quiroz made them practice their positional play without the ball for hours till they got it right. Without the ball. Do you think we practice anything like this now? We do not seem to know where the nearest United player is on the pitch.
Now we seem to be trying to get Longstaff or Rice or Grealish. Why? If they are world beaters or world class players they will not be playing for Newcastle, WestHam or Villa.

I want United to win and win soon but I cannot see anyway we are going to win with Ole Gunnar as the manager. All this talk of 6 transfer windows is pure moonshine.
I agree with every word.

I have the same feelings with Ole as I had with David Moyes, never ever in a million years this will work.

Acole9

Outstanding
Jesus I had no idea he took the squad to the Cliff, I can't say I'm surprised though. I bet all he does is bleat on about how it was back in his day.

This is exactly part of the problem and what we desperately need to move away from, I hear the same from the class of 92 as well. We need to move into the modern age, like all the other clubs seem to be doing.

Shark

@NotShark
I agree with every word.

I have the same feelings with Ole as I had with David Moyes, never ever in a million years this will work.
It’s utterly scary that there’s actually posters in here that are still saying he’s going a great job. Our club is absolutely broken from every aspect at this point. What chance we do we even have with getting Woodward out when our fan base accepts being served shit on a plate week in, week out. Hopeless.

Eriku

It is baffling to me that there are fans on here (quite a few it seems) that think Ole is happy with the squad. Just listen to his press conferences. He regularly says they are short of numbers and need more players.

Just look at his team selections and how reluctant he is to use players like Jones, Rojo, Matic, Mata, etc. Managers generally operate off a 23-25 man squad. Based on his team selections this season, I think Ole has 17-18 senior players that he sees as good enough.

If United signed 5 in the January transfer window, they would just be getting back to a normal sized squad for a team in 4 competitions.
Agreed. I wonder if it’s just shitty reading comprehension or straight-up disingenuity... I keep seeing points like these, where they attribute stuff to Ole that, at best, we’ve no idea about, or at worst, copious of info contradicting their bullshit.

It really gets my goat. It’s not as if it’s too hard to mount a case for Ole-out using readily available facts.

el3mel

You're right. There's nothing unique about what he's doing.

Moyes had one serious result - the 3-0 vs Olympiakos, a game we only won because we had Robin Van Persie. Moyes also inherited a title winning squad - he had a striker in his prime, he had Kagawa and ruined him, he had a blank cheque to sign Fabregas, Kroos, Thiago and whoever else and he chose.......Fellaini. He actually overpaid by £5m for him. Then he panicked and bought Mata. He gave Rooney a massive new deal when Fergie had prepared the groundwork to sell him. Then there was the madness of Fulham.
Ole has had at least five or six first rate performances. We have had two great games against Spurs, against City, PSG. Okay he' not very good - I think we can all see that but who else would have come in and did what Ole did? I'm not saying Ole has done a good job but if he leaves the club tomorrow he leaves with some dignity and leaving some of our better players (Martial, Rashford, Fred) in a better state than he found them.

We need to cut our losses with Ole but who is next? The next boss should buy into some kind of vision or if we don't have one then he should have one. No use going for a scattergun approach. Going forward do we want to be like Chelsea? A club that values instant success? Or do we want a long term plan and style like Barca - in which case there has to be a serious search for a particular kind of manager. And who would that be? It can't/won't be the likes of Allegri/Conte..maybe Enrique? Poch? I have no faith in Woodward as I suspect he knows nothing about football.

Ole has a lot of goodwill. Great playing career, decent guy, treats people well, doesn't moan or throw his players under the bus. And in case anyone has forgotten we are still 5th in the table (somehow) and the awfulness of the other teams around us also tends to deflect attention.
Eh ? That's not true. I don't sound like I'm defending Moyes but we spent the entire summer chasing Fabregas and ended up panic signing Fellaini because of Ed Woodward having a mare of a market. It was also reported that LVG was ultimately the one who stopped the Kroos deal once he was hired. RVP spent most of that season injured and Kagawa, well did he do anything useful once LVG sold him immediately next summer ?

That doesn't mean Moyes was a good manager or deserved more time, I repeat, but it was as a massive rebuilding job as it's now. Winning the title the previous season was good and all but it was the last push of a squad filled of over the hill players and needed to replaced them, pushed up by a genius manager and the best striker in the world back then.

However Moyes didn't get a chance and rightly so because he was totally out of his fecking depth, and so seems to be Ole currently, so I don't find all these talking about "3 years plan" and "long term" logic to keep an out of depth manager because he's playing few youth. The plan can continue without him in charge. He's not by any means essential for it, and he's not doing anything that no other manager can do to persist with this mediocrity. We can do such rebuilding under a better manager, more experienced in it.

JK-27

The most bizarre thing I find at the minute is fans saying Ole needs 3-4 transfer windows to build the squad he wants. And only then he can be judged.

Why? Moyes, LVG, and Jose we're all judged before having that amount of time. And LVG and Jose were far more successful managers prior to joining Utd and more successful than Ole while at Utd.

I despair at some of our fans these days I really do. They seem happy with mediocrity as long as we play academy players managed by past Utd 'legends'. That is not who Utd are or ever were. It is not 'going back to our roots'. It's accepting shite.

Ole out.

ShinjiNinja26

The most bizarre thing I find at the minute is fans saying Ole needs 3-4 transfer windows to build the squad he wants. And only then he can be judged.

Why? Moyes, LVG, and Jose we're all judged before having that amount of time. And LVG and Jose were far more successful managers prior to joining Utd and more successful than Ole while at Utd.

I despair at some of our fans these days I really do. They seem happy with mediocrity as long as we play academy players managed by past Utd 'legends'. That is not who Utd are or ever were. It is not 'going back to our roots'. It's accepting shite.

Ole out.
People can’t take the blinkers off that he’s a club legend, therefore can’t criticise him no matter how bad he is as a manager.

MUFromLTU

Ole out.
Why? Because none of those coaches had a longterm plan, they were appointed to be quick-fixes and failed at that. LVG possible the only exception that actually looked to care about longterm plan, but he had retirement planned already.

Ole did not make any superstar name signings, got rid of deadwood, is playing youngest XI week after week in EPL and you can't see difference between that and other managers? If you really think that our current team is better than standings show, I think you need a reality check. I'm not talking about potentials, but on current level, with 23years of average age, with only few players anywhere near/at their prime and absolutely no squad depth.

You also seem to forget that we've been extremely unlucky in several games this season, have been underperforming our xPts and xG (if you have 0 understanding how those work, it might not look as important factor), had our star player out for more than half games with absolutely no squad depth, yet we're still in contention for TOP4 and were 2nd best team in league in December.

Of course knowing how many minutes our main players are playing, if we keep getting injuries and don't get any signings this month, fatigue will catch us just like at the end of last season and we will drop further away, we've already seen how our players looked at last game and it'll only get worse. However that is not Ole's fault, it's fault of previous managers and Ed, that only cared about instant results and didn't invest in long-term, stacking injury-prone deadwood in the squad and leaving Ole/coaches with incredibly hard job.

Foxbatt

Why? Because none of those coaches had a longterm plan, they were appointed to be quick-fixes and failed at that. LVG possible the only exception that actually looked to care about longterm plan, but he had retirement planned already.

Ole did not make any superstar name signings, got rid of deadwood, is playing youngest XI week after week in EPL and you can't see difference between that and other managers? If you really think that our current team is better than standings show, I think you need a reality check. I'm not talking about potentials, but on current level, with 23years of average age, with only few players anywhere near/at their prime and absolutely no squad depth.

You also seem to forget that we've been extremely unlucky in several games this season, have been underperforming our xPts and xG (if you have 0 understanding how those work, it might not look as important factor), had our star player out for more than half games with absolutely no squad depth, yet we're still in contention for TOP4 and were 2nd best team in league in December.

Of course knowing how many minutes our main players are playing, if we keep getting injuries and don't get any signings this month, fatigue will catch us just like at the end of last season and we will drop further away, we've already seen how our players looked at last game and it'll only get worse. However that is not Ole's fault, it's fault of previous managers and Ed, that only cared about instant results and didn't invest in long-term, stacking injury-prone deadwood in the squad and leaving Ole/coaches with incredibly hard job.

What a load of nonsense You give this squad to any decent manager and we would perform much better. Now it is the players who are to blame because they do not how to play football in a way we can pass to each other? These are all International players apart from Pereira. They know how to pass to each other. It is the fact that their coach does not know how to get them to play football. It is all get the ball to Martial or Rashford and hope they do something. It is a lottery.
What 3 years or 6 transfer windows he needs? He is trying to get young British players. He is saying this because no world class or potential world class players are going to come to United to play in a mid table team and to be coached by an incompetent manager. Even his ex player Haarland refused to come.

dove

The Liverpool game against Everton should be a big slap in the face with a fish for Ole's supporters. They play their C team and are better against the first Everton team. Just proves what a good manager can do meanwhile we are stuck with this pseudo manager who apparently only needs 5 more transfer windows to win 2 games in a row. Joke.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The Liverpool game against Everton should be a big slap in the face with a fish for Ole's supporters. They play their C team and are better against the first Everton team. Just proves what a good manager can do meanwhile we are stuck with this pseudo manager who apparently only needs 5 more transfer windows to win 2 games in a row. Joke.
He will come out with that's how he want us to play, even though he cannot seem to actually make it happen.

El Zoido

A lot of the Ole haters cited Ancelotti as being able to get Everton playing great football with a “style” after two weeks. Look at them now, their “style” is shite, this performance has been embarrassing. Let’s sack Ole and bring in Ancelotti, because it’s more fun playing shit football under an “experienced” manager instead of an inexperienced manager. If anything, this game vindicates then Ole supporters. You can’t polish a turd.

AC1689

If anybody needs any evidence as to why Ole is not good enough, they only need to look at Liverpool’s performance today. A team of unknowns, and they’re clearly coached well and know exactly what they need to do against Everton. It’s not down to pure luck. The tactics and coaching are there to be seen. Winning against Everton’s strongest 11.

Yet our strongest 11, under Ole, can’t beat the likes of Newcastle, Watford and, wait for it, Everton’s strongest 11 who are currently being schooled by Liverpool’s B team.

I’m sick to the back teeth of the pathetic excuses the Ole In brigade keep regurgitating.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Message to Ole.

Watch Klopp. On his feet the entire time, even with kids out on the field. Not sitting on his arse

Mainoldo

:lol: :lol:

Think we all know what the problem is. Well those who know anything about football.

That name calling won’t go down well though. Might want to edit.

el3mel

A lot of the Ole haters cited Ancelotti as being able to get Everton playing great football with a “style” after two weeks. Look at them now, their “style” is shite, this performance has been embarrassing. Let’s sack Ole and bring in Ancelotti, because it’s more fun playing shit football under an “experienced” manager instead of an inexperienced manager. If anything, this game vindicates then Ole supporters. You can’t polish a turd.
First I don't really remember anyone who wanted Carlo to manage us.

Second and more importantly, Ole is an experienced manager. He has been managing for +10 years. This point doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.