Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I dont care about the last season set of results. I'm just baffled he let sold or froze 4 central midfielders without replacing a single one. And then froze or sold 2 star attackers without replacing a single one.

It's quite hilarious really. He probably has some misguided romantic belief in the United youth players to do another '99 and play level with the likes of Augameyang, KDB, Son, Mane, Pedro etc.
:lol:
When did Sanchez star?

Fer

If we sign a manager next season. Being realistic, who can we get?

Toad

Utter embarrassment, but it’s deeper than just Ole. He hasn’t had the backing from anyone and we have seen it over the last few years that any manager will fail at this club at the moment.

el3mel

I dont care about the last season set of results. I'm just baffled he let sold or froze 4 central midfielders without replacing a single one. And then froze or sold 2 star attackers without replacing a single one.

It's quite hilarious really. He probably has some misguided romantic belief in the United youth players to do another '99 and play level with the likes of Augameyang, KDB, Son, Mane, Pedro etc.
He doesn't even play the youth though. Gomes is always out of the squad and Greenwood gets to play about 10 minutes or so and some times less. He sold them and that's about it. At least LVG was testing the youngsters when he sold many senior players. With Ole you can't even grasp a single clue about what he's planning for the team.

beingshe7don

I have no issue with him getting all the blame if we can be fairly certain he has been given some support by the club...

I dont mean sign unrealistic players... but its just weird to have a manager, not back him and let him take the blame when things arent going well.

If it was his call to not sign a midfielder or it was his call to not replace Lukaku , give him time to see if he can integrate the youth.. more than just 4 games.. and then judge him

If he wasnt backed.. and the club is shaping the squad.. clearing out.. stating again.. and just want him to be at the helm during the transition.. I dont know whom to blame.

Its all shit.

Our world class goalkeeper, someone who wants 375k/week, cant play the ball out from the back.. every time he kicks out, he gives it straight to the opposition.

Our world class midfielder.. the most expensive player we have ever signed, keeps dwelling on the ball and loses it in dangerous areas.

that has nothing to do with the manager..

He has been dealt a shit hand..
back him.. and if he fails after that.. sack him..

but blaming the manager all the time and asking for changes just keeps shifting the focus away from Woody..
So we have a situation of where we let the likes of Lukaku leave and gave Rashford his wages of 250k. That makes no freakin since. Was that because he was English or was it because he came through the academy?

Lukaku offered nothing in attack because he was slow, his poor first touch and now Rashford on our books cannot play with his back to goal, runs in a straight line, cannot actually dribble and has no hold up play to bring others into the game.

How are we solving some issues and the creating others is way beyond me. Rashford will be considered deadwood once he reaches 24/25 and we'll be looking to get him off our books as we won't deliver 20 goals in the league consistently for us. This will be Rashy's 5th season with us and I don't think he's improved much since his breakout season. His freekicks are shit as before. He hasn't improved his hold up play.

So we bought Maguire from Leicester and Leicester are currently in 3rd spot after 4 games
So we bought Wan Bassaka from Crystal Palace and they are currently in 4th spot after 4 games
while we are in 7th spot.

We got the best players of these clubs and doing worst off. Let that sink in.

Inigo Montoya

So is that bad management? Bad coaching?
Bad coaching. It's as if he wants to be a nice guy.

I remember after we totally outplayed Chelsea in the Cup,Pogba said," he trusts us and we trust him." So I don't think there's a lot wrong with the man management. I question how much attention to detail there is in coaching day to day.

I'm pleased with the fitness and can see improvements in what he's trying to achieve but.....

Triple.Threat

I would have no problems with that if he actually used them.

Enigma_87

You know who
The problem is that sacking him won't change a thing now. So that's that.
Which was the problem in the first place. Giving him a chance on the back of some absurd form since March has put us in that position.

I guess many believed that sacking him then won’t change a thing?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Bad coaching. It's as if he wants to be a nice guy.

I remember after we totally outplayed Chelsea in the Cup,Pogba said," he trusts us and we trust him." So I don't think there's a lot wrong with the man management. I question how much attention to detail there is in coaching day to day.

I'm pleased with the fitness and can see improvements in what he's trying to achieve but.....
People are bringing up City and Liverpool and they are right, everything down to the finest detail. Think we just come up with a formation, go out and enjoy yourself and that's it.

Inigo Montoya

He doesn't even play the youth though. Gomes is always out of the squad and Greenwood gets to play about 10 minutes or so and some times less. He sold them and that's about it. At least LVG was testing the youngsters when he sold many senior players. With Ole you can't even grasp a single clue about what he's planning for the team.
You'd have a 17 year old starting ahead of Martial,Rashford and James?

Gomes was pants last night but scored a great goal so needs careful handling.

As for LVG, he started youngsters as he sold our whole strike force and bought a dud in Memphis. He fielded Rashford only after an injury. He was a highly experienced coach who reduced the team to a bore fest.

Toad

We just have a shit squad, it’s simple as that.

De Gea (couldn’t care what anyone says), AWB, Maguire, Pogba (even though I’d rather he left), James/Greenwood (for the future), McTominay (useful squad option) are good enough.

7 players out of the whole squad. Haven’t seen enough of Chong or Tuanzebe to have an opinion. It’s a state.

Lindelof is shit, Rashford has been mediocre for fecking ages and Pereira is being used when he is barely scraping Prem level.

Inigo Montoya

People are bringing up City and Liverpool and they are right, everything down to the finest detail. Think we just come up with a formation, go out and enjoy yourself and that's it.
You can see City and Liverpool enjoying themselves though.

It comes from having the confidence to know what you are going to do is instinctive, and that is honed in training

Enigma_87

You know who
Just because he picked up two defenders early doesn’t mean he was building around them. In his own words
You don’t have to bring players only to build around them. People just fail to grasp how a squad should be build.

You need squad players and they are quite important.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His entire front 3 in a fully fit squad is sort of youth if we give Martial a pass. Martial-Rashford-James. None of those players are actually established and yet all 3 find a place week in week out for Manchester United.

beingshe7don

If we sign a manager next season. Being realistic, who can we get?
Out of the top managers, Mourinho and Allegri are the two that are available at the moment. Obviously can't get Mourinho and Allegri is too defensive minded for my liking. I can see Zidane getting sacked with Real struggles. So he may become available but Zidane does have experience winning and is tactically better but does not have experience building a team which we need to do. If PSG fail to win the Champions League, Tuchel could be available. However, he could go back to Germany if Kovac from Bayern gets sacked. I like Tuchel's style of play and he could do well here. Erik ten Hag from Ajax may come available as well. Pochettino may leave Spurs if he doesn't win any trophy this season and may turn to Real if Zidane gets the sack.

el3mel

You'd have a 17 year old starting ahead of Martial,Rashford and James?

Gomes was pants last night but scored a great goal so needs careful handling.

As for LVG, he started youngsters as he sold our whole strike force and bought a dud in Memphis. He fielded Rashford only after an injury. He was a highly experienced coach who reduced the team to a bore fest.
Not a starter but it's only logical if you're selling that much main players and evacuating the midfield and attack then you're sacrificing results this season to give youth more chances off the bench and develop them. Ole is neither getting results nor does he try to give youth more chance. LVG was trash but he had no problem throwing in youth when he fecked up the squad. Ole doesn't seem to have a single clue what he wants to do with the team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole's plan is rather clear, even from last season : develop a young squad, get them to play a pressing football, attack, attack, attack. But it can't be done overnight and our personnel simply aren't enough for it. Both in quality and quantity.

Woody decided He wanted Ole. If He wanted Ole because of the vision&plan and not because of the strings of good results, He will stick with Ole. But If He only saw those results as an indicator to gave Ole the contract and is more than happy to change the manager again in 1-2 years, He's out of his mind, an idiot, needs to leave the club asap and We'll go back to square one again.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You can see City and Liverpool enjoying themselves though.

It comes from having the confidence to know what you are going to do is instinctive, and that is honed in training
Yep. We can't even take corners or freekicks or even penalties for that matter. You should be able to make a pass with barely a look, know instinctively where a teammate is.

el3mel

His entire front 3 in a fully fit squad is sort of youth if we give Martial a pass. Martial-Rashford-James. None of those players are actually established and yet all 3 find a place week in week out for Manchester United.
Martial and Rashford have been first team players and playing regularly as starters or first option sub week in week out for about 3 years now. I'm talking about the upcoming young players.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole's plan is rather clear, even from last season : develop a young squad, get them to play a pressing football, attack, attack, attack. But it can't be done overnight and our personnel simply aren't enough for it. Both in quality and quantity.

Woody decided He wanted Ole. If He wanted Ole because of the vision&plan and not because of the strings of good results, He will stick with Ole. But If He only saw those results as an indicator to gave Ole the contract and is more than happy to change the manager again in 1-2 years, He's out of his mind, an idiot, needs to leave the club asap and We'll go back to square one again.
Attack attack attack? There's more to it. You need a pattern of play, a style of passing, a way to actually attack.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
OK. Sticking with the thread.
Where is the evidence that Ole is turning it around.
Yes he has been part of a management team that has sold or loaned some of our older or fringe players.
And yes he has signed three tidy players.
But. We are desperately weak in midfield and attack.
But. This is a results business.
And based on results things are getting worse and not better.
Yeah, including a player that Jose wanted and was denied.

To address the thread; the idea that this cafe and Ole knew better than Mourinho is laughable. Ole's peevish demeanor and nervous laughs during press conferences tell me that he's not management material. He looks like a scared boy.

The fact of the matter is, a world class manager won Europa and finished 2nd, then requested more signings to improve the squad. Instead he was denied and criticized for not getting "the best out of the wonderful players that he has." Overweight viewers who never kicked a ball in their life shouldn't talk about football. Internet has given a voice to every booger-eater with a keyboard.

fps

I have said this elsewhere, we should set Ole a target and that target should be top 4. That is the absolute minimum. If this is truly a rebuild then we have to be moving incrementally forward and not back. Top four is the barest minimum that I would expect. Any attempt to move against Ole before the end of the 2019/20 campaign would be unwise in my view. We backed an inexperienced and unproven young manager and we knew the risks. We therefore need to roll will the punches. until the end of this campaign.

That said we must hold Ole accountable for the team's performances. All of this nonsense whereby people suggest that it is not Ole's fault because the team is crap just doesn't hold water. Last season Ole performed wonders (for 12 games) with a side that is not as good as the one that he has now. It was because of that that he was offered the job. Therefore, we cannot have it both ways: blaming lack of investment for the team's under-performance, when it suits us but ignoring the fact that there was no new investment between December and April when Ole had his best spell.
I can't imagine him staying if he doesn't get Top 4. Even with the start United have had the Top 4 is still very much on, therefore if the team improves over the season, as it should with the youth involved, Top 4 should be a clearly achievable aspiration.

Current issue apart from Rashford unfortunately not doing his stuff at CF today is the leaking of goals.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’s completely and utterly out of his depths. Probably the worst in game manager that I’ve ever seen.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
100% back him
This is a deep cut rebuild and no other manager could do it any better.

Sir Scott McToMinay

100% back him
This is a deep cut rebuild and no other manager could do it any better.
:lol:
So you’re saying he is the best manager in the world.

Of course other managers could do better, just because we’re in need of a rebuild doesn’t mean it is acceptable to throw the season away.

He’s done absolutely nothing as a manager to warrant that kind of trust.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Attack attack attack? There's more to it. You need a pattern of play, a style of passing, a way to actually attack.
Yes. Go ask Woody why did He hire the man in the first place. Now We either stick with Ole (which is an unproven manager - the good streak of results of last season shouldn't change that) or change manager again and go back to square one then We can begin another rebuilding process, maybe it'll be finished in 2052.

Devil81

I'm not going to turn on him as he's got to be given time to mould his own team.

He's having to clear the decks before the full rebuild can happen.

Alabaster Codify7

He has no plan. His plan is to work with what he has, smile for the cameras and act like he knows something others don't. Simple as that. You have to bear in mind, the United job is literally Ole's Holy Grail. If he finished 8th every season but wasn't fired, he'd be loving life because this is a club he genuinely loves and loves working with. He has been saying the right things in the eyes of the board, but in football terms he's proving to be as limited as David Moyes.

The only thing that saves this football club is hiring a young, progressively minded coach and backing him with a load of money to upgrade on Lindelöf, Shaw, McTominay, Lingard and (sorry about this) Rashford. That's 5 first team players that are not quite good enough in some instances (Rashy and Shaw) and definitely not good enough in others (Lindelöf, Scott, Lingard). We need an overhaul every single summer and we don't get it. Last summer we bought a £50m midfielder in Fred who cannot evn get into the matchday squad. We lost Herrera on a free, who, while not being world-class, was way better at his role than McTominay. Our inability to sign a midfielder means that Matic has been rightfully benched, but means Pogba is being played further back as a result limiting his impact on us actually scoring goals and creating anything.

He's a much more likeable David Moyes. If he never played for United, he would never have even got the caretaker job. Simple as that. The fact he's now the main man, having won 3 out of 17 games in his last 20+, is mental. Reap what you sow.

Robbie Boy

The board has bought. The manager has bought. They've also sold but sadly the wrong players. They're promoting 'youth' but sadly the wrong players (Lingard, Periera incredible development of talent). Now, Woodward is making an absolute mess of the football club. But part of that mess, yet again, is hiring seemingly the wrong manager.

As with Jose, Ole has no excuses for being unable to turn us into a well managed and well drilled priper football team, regardless of shiny toys he may or may not have. I mean, he may not be good enough to do it of course so I suppose that's a decent excuse to have. But the manager can do plenty and doesn't seem to be able to.

Just goes to show that 'lets play with passion', ''set the boys free', 'we want to be happy' etc doesn't work. You actually have to have quality managerial ability.

I see Lampard and Emery doing better than Ole this season, sadly. And should he finish outside top 4 he should go.
All true except that Chelsea and Arsenal look equally as wank as we do, especially Chelsea.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
3 wins in last 16 games. Which team accept this?
Teams that don’t aspire to be the best.

It’s sad but it’s true. I can’t think of one big European club that would put up with it apart from United and it’s “we must back the manager no matter what” fan base.

EwanI Ted

You don’t have to bring players only to build around them. People just fail to grasp how a squad should be build.

You need squad players and they are quite important.
Not sure how this relates to the point I was making. Perhaps you could clarify?

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
So we have a situation of where we let the likes of Lukaku leave and gave Rashford his wages of 250k. That makes no freakin since. Was that because he was English or was it because he came through the academy?

Lukaku offered nothing in attack because he was slow, his poor first touch and now Rashford on our books cannot play with his back to goal, runs in a straight line, cannot actually dribble and has no hold up play to bring others into the game.

How are we solving some issues and the creating others is way beyond me. Rashford will be considered deadwood once he reaches 24/25 and we'll be looking to get him off our books as we won't deliver 20 goals in the league consistently for us. This will be Rashy's 5th season with us and I don't think he's improved much since his breakout season. His freekicks are shit as before. He hasn't improved his hold up play.

So we bought Maguire from Leicester and Leicester are currently in 3rd spot after 4 games
So we bought Wan Bassaka from Crystal Palace and they are currently in 4th spot after 4 games
while we are in 7th spot.

We got the best players of these clubs and doing worst off. Let that sink in.
We, along with Palace and Leicester, have played 4 games. FOUR. If you think the table means anything at the moment you need your head checking. I’d stake my house and life on us finishing above both so your point is absolutely pointless

beingshe7don

Happy with...
  • What he is trying to do with the squad I.e. recruiting players that want to play for us and not just the money
I don't agree we've recruited players that want to play for us and not just the money. All of our current players that supposedly want to play for us are on high wages. And more importantly these players, are they even good enough?

Rashford (extended contract ~ 250k) - Are his wages justified?
De Gea (looking for a contract of 375k) - As good as he's been, he's had an error or two up his sleeve and can't play out from the back. Are his demands justified?
Martial (extended contract ~ 200k) - Are his wages justified?
Mata (extended contract ~ 120k) - Is he good enough and are his wages justified?

For reference, Kane who consistently delivers 20 goals in the league for the past 5 seasons is on 200k

• Giving youth a chance and getting us back to what we are all about in that respect
Apart from Greenwood, we haven't really had any youth feature. I wouldn't consider Rashford and Mctominay as youth as they are full fledged internationals.

And as far as disappointments go, one of the biggest flaw is that our manager is a one trick pony and does not offer much tactically when we are chasing a game and need a goal or two. For instance, it's criminal to start Mata and Pereira together since both only play well as a 10 and the one that doesn't plays like shit.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah, including a player that Jose wanted and was denied.

To address the thread; the idea that this cafe and Ole knew better than Mourinho is laughable. Ole's peevish demeanor and nervous laughs during press conferences tell me that he's not management material. He looks like a scared boy.
Perfectly correct.
I am trying to forget that we actually finished 2nd the season before last.
And I am trying to forget that Jose got almost no credit for making that happen.
And I am trying to forget about all the criticism he got for not playing the 'United way'.
And I am trying to forget how the players shat on him when things got difficult.
As I have mentioned many times. It was a lost opportunity.
However, it is what it is and in the end he had to go.

fps

I do worry that there isn't enough specific coaching to attack different teams/ break down different kinds of teams. Who's the attack coach?

Bo_7iDaR

The fact of the matter is, a world class manager won Europa and finished 2nd, then requested more signings to improve the squad. Instead he was denied and criticized for not getting "the best out of the wonderful players that he has." Overweight viewers who never kicked a ball in their life shouldn't talk about football. Internet has given a voice to every booger-eater with a keyboard.
Yeah but have you ever considered Philosophy™, Style of play™. Patterns™, Positivity™, Rashy™ and Pogz™? Didn't think so, acolyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.