Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Based on what? Who didn't the board give him or didn't deliver? Dybala didn't want to come for various reasons.Did we have any other targets which the board failed to deliver?

We haven't looked worse at any time in the last 7 years compared to what we've seen since March.
I can't believe I have to repeat this, but he was on record as saying that any outgoings needed to be replaced - Dybala, Mandzukic were both strongly in the frame at one point or another. There were also well documented links with Longstaff.

I'm not going to respond to your last point, because it's subjective, but respectfully, I disagree.
They also tried to bring Erikssen and I believe they made an offer to Rabiot.

Greck

I can't believe I have to repeat this, but he was on record as saying that any outgoings needed to be replaced - Dybala, Mandzukic were both strongly in the frame at one point or another. There were also well documented links with Longstaff.

I'm not going to respond to your last point, because it's subjective, but respectfully, I disagree.
He's also on record as saying he's happy with the squad and other sources report it was his call. You don't just get to pick and choose for others which of his words carry more weight. For Dybala I actually believe he didn't want a primadonna and I actually back that decision.

LJJT

I’m Ole in, but I’m as concerned as everyone else right now and can sense a huge change in his demeanour and looks terribly aged. BUT, we need to stick this out for a fair bit longer yet, ideally giving him chance to strengthen in January if we can hold out that long. We are one good performance away from totally changing this round we are so low on confidence right now. Just hope we can pull a great performance and a win out the bag on Monday night,

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This thread is beginning to resemble the 'Jose Out' thread from last year and the LVG one a few years before that.

Enigma_87

You know who

I get that replacements point, mate. My question is we really haven't been linked to a lot of players in the Summer. Mandzukic was available the whole summer even at deadline day, if he was an option/priority it's not like we couldn't get him.

Same with Longstaff - if he was a priority and rated high by the coaching stuff(fits the profile and would most likely have high resale value), why didn't we buy him? I'm not sure it's because the club would veto it otherwise we would hear something about it and it would leak.
We really haven't been linked with a lot of players this Summer which either means we were ok with what we've got or only had couple of targets - two of which didn't wanted to come (Sancho, Dybala).

Take Moyes Summer for example. We were linked with ton of players - unrealistic ones - Thiago, Fabregas, Bale, but still we have shown intent of buying someone. This Summer the strongest links we had(apart from Dybala) were players that we brought in.

Also Dybala was only a possibility after we entered negotiations with Juve, not our primary target for the summer from the off.

If you chose not to blame Ole, then the recruitment guys or scouting network should be next in line. We literally had no research coming into the Summer and our policy was based on already well known targets (Maguire), AWB and a guy that Giggs recommended.

You can't blame the board for not delivering Eriksen with 2 days to go, especially when the board has shown they can't do fast business since 5-6 years. You need better planning and Woodward is not the one to name and target players, at least I certainly hope he isn't.

It's unreal not to have other options in the transfer window.

rotherham_red

I'm hopeful that Ed can see at this stage how bad things are in that position and that the club is actively scouting for that position.

I'm actually fairly optimistic in the long term. Some of the kids coming through are of much higher level than we've had in a long long time and the quality of Ole's signings this summer bodes very well. We could potentially have an very good squad in a couple of seasons if people can just have some patience.

But in the short term we are monumentally fecked if they don't sort out the midfield asap. I wanted us to overpay for Longstaff this summer if necessary for that exact reason. It was as plain as day what we were potentially in for. January is absolutely pivotal.
Yeah, my friends all think I'm a weirdo for keeping the positivity and looking forward to going to OT and away games still, but honestly, this feels different to Jose and LvG. I don't think we'll fully see Ole's vision for the team this season until Greenwood and Gomes are part of the first team. Ideally they'd have been phased in, but with the mess we're in, at some point soon it will have to happen. Thankfully, it seems the defence is sorted for the long-term, and I think Axel will be the regular partner for Maguire by the season's end.

And definitely, the midfield was a gaping chasm as soon as Fellaini left, let alone Herrera and to not sign anyone there was a massive dereliction of duty. I refuse to believe that Ole was ok with that, unless he thought Pereira would step up (speaking of Andreas, such a massive talent that's been wasted by LvG and Jose. It saddens me when I think back to how good he was back in 2013/14 - he needed to be given a shot back then, not left to fester in the reserves). We can see now, that it just isn't going to happen for him and it would be best if he became a squad player or sold on to somewhere in Italy or Spain - think he could do a job for a team like Sevilla, for example. We need to buy at least one midfielder in January, and a further midfielder in the summer, maybe two if Pogba leaves.

Beaucoup

Although it's hard to disagree that most of our current players aren't good enough for a club of our size, that argument can't be used for last nights performance against Rochdale and the quality of their players against ours. I think that it highlights there are definitely issue's behind the scenes relating to the management and coaching of the team.

rotherham_red

He's also on record as saying he's happy with the squad and other sources report it was his call. You don't just get to pick and choose for others which of his words carry more weight. For Dybala I actually believe he didn't want a primadonna and I actually back that decision.
If you have any common sense, you know which statements are empty platitudes designed to minimise negativity (because being truthful and up front about the squad is what got Jose sacked) and which statements we can take at face value. The fact that you can't even discern those two forms of statements (or more likely you do, but it suits your agenda so you choose not to), leads me to believe it's not really worth continuing this discussion.

Enigma_87

You know who
They also tried to bring Erikssen and I believe they made an offer to Rabiot.
Well we had leaks that we were never in for Bruno. Rabiot was done and dusted early for Juve, again it's pretty debatable if we were into him the first place, just couple of rumors.

Eriksen was pretty much considered near Real from the off. We became interested at the very end of the window when he was not going to Real and probably entered negotiations hoping we can get him at a cut price.

Since the window kicked in the only documented and serious interest we had (mind you Ole said he wanted the business done early) was AWB, James and Maguire - all three were delivered. You can argue about Woodward messing about, but apart from Longstaff, there isn't really someone you can say was our main target before we entered the transfer season. Dybala was only a possibility as an exchange deal with Lukaku.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Again, Ferguson trusted Phelan for years. Did he just forget how to coach?
From memory SAF described Phelan's role has more about man management and taking care of the administrative side of things. The coaching and tactical side was done by Meulensteen/Queiroz based on SAF's instructions.

AneRu

I get that replacements point, mate. My question is we really haven't been linked to a lot of players in the Summer. Mandzukic was available the whole summer even at deadline day, if he was an option/priority it's not like we couldn't get him.

Same with Longstaff - if he was a priority and rated high by the coaching stuff(fits the profile and would most likely have high resale value), why didn't we buy him? I'm not sure it's because the club would veto it otherwise we would hear something about it and it would leak.
We really haven't been linked with a lot of players this Summer which either means we were ok with what we've got or only had couple of targets - two of which didn't wanted to come (Sancho, Dybala).

Take Moyes Summer for example. We were linked with ton of players - unrealistic ones - Thiago, Fabregas, Bale, but still we have shown intent of buying someone. This Summer the strongest links we had(apart from Dybala) were players that we brought in.

Also Dybala was only a possibility after we entered negotiations with Juve, not our primary target for the summer from the off.

If you chose not to blame Ole, then the recruitment guys or scouting network should be next in line. We literally had no research coming into the Summer and our policy was based on already well known targets (Maguire), AWB and a guy that Giggs recommended.

You can't blame the board for not delivering Eriksen with 2 days to go, especially when the board has shown they can't do fast business since 5-6 years. You need better planning and Woodward is not the one to name and target players, at least I certainly hope he isn't.

It's unreal not to have other options in the transfer window.
But the club said Ole and the recruitment team worked on this during the summer whilst Ole himself said he was happy with the squad he has. All this points to Ole being intimately involved with the process that led to this window and now we are just laying the blame on people we don't like to exonerate a club legend. But we successes like Maguire are mentioned Ole is given the credit, well if he is given the credit for the success of the few buys then he takes part of the blame for the failure that saw us getting into the season with a thin squad populated by the deadwood.

Greck

If you have any common sense, you know which statements are empty platitudes designed to minimise negativity (because being truthful and up front about the squad is what got Jose sacked) and which statements we can take at face value. The fact that you can't even discern those two forms of statements (or more likely you do, but it suits your agenda so you choose not to), leads me to believe it's not really worth continuing this discussion.
Yeesh this one is catty as hell. Trying to pass off conjecture as fact and getting defensive when others bring your attention to the dangers of subjectively interpreting the situation. Log off friend

Enigma_87

You know who
But the club said Ole and the recruitment team worked on this during the summer whilst Ole himself said he was happy with the squad he has. All this points to Ole being intimately involved with the process that led to this window and now we are just laying the blame on people we don't like to exonerate a club legend. But we successes like Maguire are mentioned Ole is given the credit, well if he is given the credit for the success of the few buys then he takes part of the blame for the failure that saw us getting into the season with a thin squad populated by the deadwood.
Yeah, precisely. This is what I don't get.

It seems like the general consensus is that the board didn't deliver the targets and promises since Ole was hired - they said he will be backed and they will deliver. Now we had a plan(probably) and we knew who are most likely to leave - Lukaku, Sanchez, Herrera. Whose job is to plan the recruits and to target players? I certainly hope it's not Ed's - the guy hasn't got a clue.

Who is to blame if not the coaching/manager team and who is picking our targets and planning the team for the season ahead? Is it scouts? The lad that is DoF impersonator or Ed?

I'm pretty sure if we were priced out on a certain target at least one journo would have heard, considering the age we are at.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I’m Ole in, but I’m as concerned as everyone else right now and can sense a huge change in his demeanour and looks terribly aged. BUT, we need to stick this out for a fair bit longer yet, ideally giving him chance to strengthen in January if we can hold out that long. We are one good performance away from totally changing this round we are so low on confidence right now. Just hope we can pull a great performance and a win out the bag on Monday night,
As has been said in this thread multiple times already, Ole won't get sacked unless performances deteriorate to the point that we're actively fighting for PL survival. The board have openly shown their support for the current manager and his vision for club's future. Sacking Ole now, before he has had sufficient time and transfer market backing to properly implement his plan, would reflect horribly on he board. Woodward in particular, as that would make four failed managerial appointments in as many years under his leadership as chairman of the club. He can't sack Ole without putting his own job in jeapardy.

Rafaeldagold

ffs give the guy some time...
let him build his team..
let him implement his tactics..
let him do things his way..

i hardly ever comment here any more.. as all i read from the majority of posters is childish, self entitled, non patient whinging ..
Delusional.

No point giving someone time if they’re the wrong man for the job. There’s better options out there & he needs to go as soon as possible. Every extra day he’s here is a wasted day

rotherham_red

Yeesh this one is catty as hell. Trying to pass off conjecture as fact and getting defensive when others bring your attention to the dangers of subjectively interpreting the situation. Log off friend
... Ok, Freud. I'm not sure how Ole literally saying on record that he'd like a replacement is conjecture, but ok. Seems my initial observation was correct.

Honestly, you don't need to be a genius to work it out. Take your time and read the statements. If you take everything that's said by face value, I've got a great timeshare opportunity in Chernobyl that I'd like to discuss with you, at a great price! :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
As has been said in this thread multiple times already, Ole won't get sacked unless performances deteriorate to the point that we're actively fighting for PL survival. The board have openly shown their support for the current manager and his vision for club's future. Sacking Ole now, before he has had sufficient time and transfer market backing to properly implement his plan, would reflect horribly on he board. Woodward in particular, as that would make four failed managerial appointments in as many years under his leadership as chairman of the club. He can't sack Ole without putting his own job in jeapordy.
I don't buy that. He's a financial guy mate. We post great profits, he would get a raise rather than getting sacked.

Considering the latest financial reports his job is safe until the Glazers are here.

Our football results have zero imprint on his job. (Which was also publicly stated already).

Judas

Open to offers
ffs give the guy some time...
let him build his team..
let him implement his tactics..
let him do things his way..

i hardly ever comment here any more.. as all i read from the majority of posters is childish, self entitled, non patient whinging ..
Why hasn't he done that already? Lampard has, numerous managers come in and you can see a tactical impact. Not so much with Ole, we're still waiting.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't buy that. He's a financial guy mate. We post great profits, he would get a raise rather than getting sacked.

Considering the latest financial reports his job is safe until the Glazers are here.

Our football results have zero imprint on his job. (Which was also publicly stated already).
And hiring the manager is a board decision, not Woodward's.

Dve

Ole needs to go back to 4-3-3. I do realise that playing McTominay as the only holding midfielder, makes you vulnerable on counters, like we saw late last season. But there are so many players that suits the 4-3-3 formation better - Fred, Pereira, Pogba - and even McTominay. The only rescue I can see for 4-2-3-1, is Pogba moved up as nr. 10, but then someone must fill the role as a holding midfielder next to McTominay. Fred or Matic. Hm. United just don´t have the players.

AneRu

Yeah, precisely. This is what I don't get.

It seems like the general consensus is that the board didn't deliver the targets and promises since Ole was hired - they said he will be backed and they will deliver. Now we had a plan(probably) and we knew who are most likely to leave - Lukaku, Sanchez, Herrera. Whose job is to plan the recruits and to target players? I certainly hope it's not Ed's - the guy hasn't got a clue.

Who is to blame if not the coaching/manager team and who is picking our targets and planning the team for the season ahead? Is it scouts? The lad that is DoF impersonator or Ed?

I'm pretty sure if we were priced out on a certain target at least one journo would have heard, considering the age we are at.
True plus if we were priced out of targets or Ole had been told he'd have only 130m quid before sales well splashing it all on Maguire and AWB was criminally stupid, both whilst good signings aren't phenomenal must have players that you decide to spend your budget on and then ignore other areas. If scouts can't suggest a good RB within the 30m-40m range or a CB of acceptable quality under 60m then they should be sacked. The strategic focus on PL proven English players is just too costly for the quality you'd get and that could have hurt us because the Glazers were never going to go beyond 200m especially after the way Jose wasted money.

LJJT

As has been said in this thread multiple times already, Ole won't get sacked unless performances deteriorate to the point that we're actively fighting for PL survival. The board have openly shown their support for the current manager and his vision for club's future. Sacking Ole now, before he has had sufficient time and transfer market backing to properly implement his plan, would reflect horribly on he board. Woodward in particular, as that would make four failed managerial appointments in as many years under his leadership as chairman of the club. He can't sack Ole without putting his own job in jeapardy.
I think Ed has shown (or the board) just how ruthless they can be in recent years. I don’t think they would be shy of giving ole the bullet if we are still in a real mire with no light at the end of the tunnel heading in to December.

AneRu

The board is ED when it comes to relating to the public or in particular this backing that Ole got, which is what the previous three got only to be shocked when the axe was swung. If Ole doesn't arrest the slide, fan opinion will turn on him and when it does it becomes easy for Woodward to act as they would be no one speaking for Ole by that time. Can't see him reaching Christmas in this form.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Used to be a thing while Fergie was here about doing things the hard way.

What's sad about Ole is he's such a second hand throwback still. Feels like his whole time managing is running off the memory banks of another man.

The only thing he's got down well is his three signings but I'm left feeling sorry for them playing wise and it's still early days to say for sure.
So much this ^

LJJT

Why hasn't he done that already? Lampard has, numerous managers come in and you can see a tactical impact. Not so much with Ole, we're still waiting.
People mentioning Lampard a lot at the minute puzzle me. We spanked them 4-0, he’s had some shocking results, won his first home game last night and is one bad result away from being under pressure again. Management is on such a knife edge, a couple of bad results and the pressures on.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Four failed managerial appointments in as many years will leave a mark on your reputation. If he sacks Ole befoe next summer's transfer window has come and gone, then he absolutely must follow him out the door.

People mentioning Lampard a lot at the minute puzzle me. We spanked them 4-0, he’s had some shocking results, won his first home game last night and is one bad result away from being under pressure again. Management is on such a knife edge, a couple of bad results and the pressures on.
Look at the way he has them playing. When their injured players return they will look better.

tomaldinho1

I'm all for this normally and feel like I'm probably a bit slow to recognise when a manager's time is done but I struggle to see it with Ole. Personally I don't understand how he merits more time because I don't understand what he trying to do with the team and what we're meant to buy into as fans. Sometimes this forum smacks of fans who think they know best and think real life is like FM but, hand on heart, I don't think this is one of those instances.

Can anyone point to his previous experience and say 'that's what we're building towards'? This is why I struggle because aside from being a former player we're fond of, he's got no comparable body of work. I'd be happy to give time to a manager where he'd at least had some experience in a major European league and had earned the right to try it at a bigger club but Ole hasn't got this job on merit, he's got it due to nostalgia and until we sever this drawn out and frankly harmful attachment to 'the United way' and harking back to past glories we're just prolonging our misery.

Greck

... Ok, Freud. I'm not sure how Ole literally saying on record that he'd like a replacement is conjecture, but ok. Seems my initial observation was correct.

Honestly, you don't need to be a genius to work it out. Take your time and read the statements. If you take everything that's said by face value, I've got a great timeshare opportunity in Chernobyl that I'd like to discuss with you, at a great price! :lol:
Timeshare you say? PM me the deets. But seriously a lot of your point comes from assumption. The Dybala one for example

LJJT

Look at the way he has them playing. When their injured players return they will look better.
Time will tell and you may well be right. Some times I think managers stumble in to good line ups/ ways of playing due to injuries or transfer bans in this case. They may well take a turn for the worse when the experienced pro’s return. For all how he’s got them playing they are no better off than us

Enigma_87

You know who
Four failed managerial appointments in as many years will leave a mark on your reputation. If he sacks Ole befoe next summer's transfer window has come and gone, then he absolutely must follow him out the door.
It doesn't matter. He's the CEO. You can blame him for not delivering targets, vetoing transfers, messing around release clauses, the three impersonators, going after Bale type of signings, handing out mega contracts (or condoning it), but it's not his job to shortlist managers and players. That's what the board/scouting network does.

LJJT

I'm all for this normally and feel like I'm probably a bit slow to recognise when a manager's time is done but I struggle to see it with Ole. Personally I don't understand how he merits more time because I don't understand what he trying to do with the team and what we're meant to buy into as fans. Sometimes this forum smacks of fans who think they know best and think real life is like FM but, hand on heart, I don't think this is one of those instances.

Can anyone point to his previous experience and say 'that's what we're building towards'? This is why I struggle because aside from being a former player we're fond of, he's got no comparable body of work. I'd be happy to give time to a manager where he'd at least had some experience in a major European league and had earned the right to try it at a bigger club but Ole hasn't got this job on merit, he's got it due to nostalgia and until we sever this drawn out and frankly harmful attachment to 'the United way' and harking back to past glories we're just prolonging our misery.
He got appointed caretaker due to his connections with the club and experience in inferior league. He then got appointed off initial 3 month honeymoon period which I was all for and don’t think any one can be blamed for getting a bit ahead of them selves at that time. One great win on Monday night changes the while complexion of this current situation no matter how unlikely that seems today! Think we need to keep the faith a bit longer yet.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Last year Ole was managing the 171 World ranked Molde FK. He's now in a fortunate position of managing one of the top 5 clubs in world football purely down to a honeymoon period,being a former player and a few nostalgic soundbites.
Oh my gawd.

GBBQ

I think Ole should be moved to DOF. He has an eye for talent and has had a ruthless approach to getting rid of the excess fat. We've not replaced the players he has gotten rid of but the issue really is that he's unable to motivate the team to see off Rochdale in normal time. He's lost to an average Crystal palace team, he couldn't find a winner against 10 man Southampton, he only managed a draw against a Wolves side who are still without a win all season.

The Glazers and Woodward have their own problems but Ole has not shown that he is capable of taking us forward on the pitch. His dead cat bounce results post Mourinho were the best fun post Fergie but the return to normal since then has been horrific and I can't see it getting better any time soon.

Enigma_87

You know who
I think Ole should be moved to DOF. He has an eye for talent and has had a ruthless approach to getting rid of the excess fat. We've not replaced the players he has gotten rid of but the issue really is that he's unable to motivate the team to see off Rochdale in normal time. He's lost to an average Crystal palace team, he couldn't find a winner against 10 man Southampton, he only managed a draw against a Wolves side who are still without a win all season.

The Glazers and Woodward have their own problems but Ole has not shown that he is capable of taking us forward on the pitch. His dead cat bounce results post Mourinho were the best fun post Fergie but the return to normal since then has been horrific and I can't see it getting better any time soon.
Is it? He signed Maguire who was vetoed last Summer. James who was recommended by Giggs and AWB was the highest rated RB in the league last season, brought in for 50m+.

Compare it to Dortmund, RB, Ajax, Sevilla, etc who really have an eye for a talent.

MV12

Delusional.

No point giving someone time if they’re the wrong man for the job. There’s better options out there & he needs to go as soon as possible. Every extra day he’s here is a wasted day
agenda driven.

how can you judge when clearly he hasn't had either the time, players or the backing from the board (yet)

because he hasn't had the the conditions. give him time, back the man. your post in my opinion is one of a person with very little patience, or perspective................................
Lampard? :lol: we're what 5 games into a new season? and you're already jumping on the bandwagon. like i said have some patience and support your team.. you never know it may just make a positive impact;)

Alabaster Codify7

So much this ^
It's starting to feel to me like Ole is using these sentimental nods to 'better times' as a distraction technique. And a way to subconsciously guilt trip people who are questioning what they are seeing. Out of desperation,not malice.......I think he honestly knows how bad a hand he's been dealt and how much he's struggling and is trying to buy time. I think he believes that if he can scrape his way to the summer, the board will fully back him and then improvement will follow. He is terribly mistaken if he does think that.

Status
Not open for further replies.