Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
Why are you so content to pile the blame squarely on Ole's shoulders but completely disregard Woodward and his failings?

Woodward oversees the day-to-day running of the club, all executive and critical decisions pass through him and him alone. Every transfer made since he took charge, incoming or outgoing, was negotiated and finalised by his hand, same for managerial and general backroom staff appointments. His gross mismanagement of the club (on the football side) has led us to this point.

He's appointed four managers and every single one of them has failed to do their job to an even remotely acceptable standard, spent in the region of £800 million on players - a large percentage of which have been unsuccessful - and we've gone from league champions outside contenders for CL qualification. All of this took place while Woodward has been chairman.

If Ole fails and he gets the sack, Woodward must follow. His work on the commercial front be damned.
Nothing of sorts mate. As I said multiple times before Woodward has to go for failing to set up a structure for 6-7 years and counting now. He's accountable for all the things mentioned in the last posts and more, but he isn't solely responsible in hiring and firing managers as he's not a footballing guy.

The point is he won't be accountable in front of the Glazers for the appointment of Ole, because it's the board that decide that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well, what I saw was an inability to beat their defenders 1v1, except for the few good players on the team eg. Mata, Dan James, and Pogba. So I don't know what else to think except what I'm seeing with my eyes.

The other problem was we didn't play enough patterns to break them down regardless of skill. That is a tactical problem, but it doesn't negate the lack of skill I witnessed.
That is right. To be honest I am shocked at the low level of both individual technical skills as well as the way they do not function as a team.
We seem at a loss as to how to break down opposition defences.
The lack of creativity means that it is far too easy to stop us playing.
We don't dictate the pace of the game or play with any obvious pattern.
There is a common theme; poor coaching and a complete lack of a game plan.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I have been very critical of our coaching setup. But it is becoming more and more obvious that there is a weakness with the mentality of many of our players.
I have no knowledge of what kind of sports psychology we have but the confidence level is rock bottom.
When our players first run out onto the pitch, they seem lethargic, afraid and devoid of energy.
I have read a number of sports books and a big difference between the high performing elite and the rest is down to the 4 inches between the ears - the brain and the way top quality sports psychologists maximise performance.
Afraid confused against city? Understandable.

Afraid confused against rochdale?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What happened to the football in pre-season? It seemed as if there was some sort of plan with intense pressing and some decent football. I don't understand how that has all seemingly been abandoned within 5 games. Is it by choice or is it because of the injuries and/or player selection who who don't fit fast pace, i.e Mata, Matic.
If you really want to play for the win in a friendly where everyone's avoiding injury and have a run about you will win.

Foxbatt

When we get the ball players like Mata, Young always look to play it back. I have seen it many times this happens. No it's not because there is lack of movement. There is movement but they take an extra touch and slow the game and Rashford goes offside.
This is why I feel players like Jones and Rojo should play in midfield along with Scott and Pogba pushed on top of the diamond.
Having seen them play for a long time that's the best option now. Yes they are going to make mistakes especially at first but we will play better as a team of we play to their strengths and not the tiki taka football.

Eli Zee

Can I ask What is with this fascination of signing only English players???

Is it because they won’t want to leave for other leagues since they’re home is here?
Because they’ll gel together better?

I think we would be better off going for strong talents regardless of nationality. We are limiting ourselves by going more for English players than quality players...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Is it because they won’t want to leave for other leagues since they’re home is here?

I think we would be better off going for strong talents regardless of nationality. We are limiting ourselves by going more for English players than quality players...
Welsh posters in 3...2..

He'sRaldo

Afraid confused against city? Understandable.

Afraid confused against rochdale?
It's the opposite actually.

Relish an open game, fear a bus. Relish being underdogs, fear being favourites. Relish Chelsea, fear West ham. You get the idea.

I think there's definitely something there, though like you said, Rochdale is a ridiculous level to drop to.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Whoever said the club were only in the market for British talent were lying.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's the opposite actually.

Relish an open game, fear a bus. Relish being underdogs, fear being favourites. You get the idea.

I think there's definitely something there, though like you said, Rochdale is a ridiculous level to drop to.
More like not giving a feck.

Our players collectively and culturally since saf seems to undermine every manager and not listening to their instructions.

No way ole could be this clueless, i dont buy a collection of xi international players cant do better than this if they try.

How did we get to this mess

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Yes. Our bad apples lingard smailing jones was once british young and passionate

He'sRaldo

More like not giving a feck.

Our players collectively and culturally since saf seems to undermine every manager and not listening to their instructions.

No way ole could be this clueless, i dont buy a collection of xi international players cant do better than this if they try.

How did we get to this mess
There's definitely an element of that as well, and I think they might even be connected.

Hawks2008

Homegrown players are right proper lads who have hungah, pashun, desiah, and werkrate! They get the club and the United way! They literally bleed red!!!
Foreign players only wish to kick back in farmer leagues and are not 'ard as the British Lions. Leave the tippy tappy shite in sunny Spain, they will wilt in the Prem.

Amerifan

I’ve said before Rome wasn’t built in a day....people need to cut some slack as expectations are just not realistic

Let’s look at the positives....

• All 3 summer signings have been very good AND are all cemented in our 1st X1
  • All 3 signings have joined for the right reason - rather than the mercenaries we’ve been signing in the past few years
  • We have addressed the shocking defensive frailties of last season - it’s not perfect yet but it’s ALREADY way better than before
  • If you think Ole just goes for team and tactics on his own then you are foolish - he has a good team around him in Phelen and Carrick and he listens to them - rather than the egotistical opinionated managers of recent times
  • He’s managed to get some negativity away from the club - there is more to go but removing Sanchez and Lukaku are key to team/squad harmony
  • We seem to be trying to play a better style so far this season - we have more effort although creativity is still lacking
For those old enough - when Fergie came in he identified and got rid of the troublesome players - Paul McGrath, Norman Whiteside etc - players that would undermine his plan/vision - nobody in those early Fergie years thought he would be successful - he was given time to change the ethos and get the right players in and develop the style he wanted - it took 5 years to get anywhere!

I’m not saying Ole is a Pep or a Klopp - but we’ve got to support him - if we can now look to address midfield and attacking frailties then we are not so far away from a decent team.

Let’s look at the positives of what’s been achieved so far - the weight of expectation is immense in this job and calling for his head every 5 minutes or saying this person or that person is better doesn’t change anything.

He is here for the foreseeable so we need to accept that and support it - he’s had 1 transfer window so far and he did better in that than we’ve done since fergie left so there is a lot more hope going forward!
Sorry. We lost a couple games. He obviously has to go.

Matst1

Assesment from Tim Long of the Rochdale game on Twitter.

Cant embed so copy/pasted:

Firstly, #MUFC’s outfield 10 last night only consisted of 3-4 who’d get in my strongest XI (Mason, Pogba, AWB, with Axel close); 3 who I don’t think will last long-term under Ole; 2 who will only be squad players long-term, & Chong who still has a way to go in his development...

More so, two of those 3-4 strongest players weren’t 100%. Pogba has been injured & looked rusty. Greenwood had been ill. So people must consider it was a mish-mash side, & these are the games where non-regulars/non-longtermers must get some mins to build/maintain fitness just in case

Tactically, #MUFC suffered for not having a creative No10. Angel Gomes would have made a huge difference. I do not know the circumstances for his absence. Mata was rested. And overall, this is an area Utd are a key player short. Which I’m sure will be addressed in Jan/summer...

I would have liked to have seen B.Williams start at LB. He offers a much bigger threat going FW, & is great at over-lapping & stretching the width of the pitch (despite being right-footed). Rojo gave his all but is simply not a LB, & wastes attacking positions with wild shots.

My final tactical point is that it was unorthodox to maintain a 4231 with a CM axis of two offensive-minded players who both have a tendency for being caught in possession (Pogba/Fred). It was inevitable that Rochdale would get a couple of good breakaway chances, with no DM...

Despite those tactical/selection assessments, Ole is perfectly entitled to pick the #MUFC team he did for a Lg.Cup game vs Rochdale at OT. As mentioned, these are games to build players & give rest to others, so some square pegs in round holes is inevitable & generally accepted.

Other #MUFC & big PL managers have often done the same & paid the consequences. But despite all of these issues, Utd had 31 shots; created 6 ‘big chances’ (only Chelsea & Ajax created more around Europe the last 2 days); & limited Rochdale to just 5 shots (2 on target)..

Finishing was the main issue - it might have been v.different had Pogba scored his free header, or had Greenwood been as ruthless as he often is. For these two players, I’m not worried. And with Martial to return, #MUFC’s finishing should improve..

There was no problem whatsoever with the effort of the players picked, but it was a combination of unfamiliar/unfit/undeveloped players who as the game developed perhaps also developed a fear-factor. Given the pressure & nervousness over the wider situation...

Ole picked such a team well-aware of the risks but was entitled to do so given the competition & the opposition. Unlike Spurs, West Ham, & many past big sides, #MUFC are through. And many of the players will learn, develop, & benefit from the tough situations they faced...

To finish, I always have an idea of positives, negatives, & the overall circumstances, whether I tweet it all or not. I’m an optimist by nature, but also capable of seeing the wider picture & longterm benefits if Ole is allowed time, leniencies, & resources to do this sizeable job.

Makes some good points I think. Apologies if already posted.

Rafaeldagold

Sorry. We lost a couple games. He obviously has to go.
Very droll.
Would you give LVG or Jose the same kind of slack? No course you wouldn’t. This is why I don’t like legends managing clubs, hard to get them out when it’s clearly not working.

It’s not just that he’s lost ‘a couple of games’ it’s that after this time we should be seeing an identity of what he’s trying to do & it’s not there. It’s as bad as Moyes.

When his results are also so so dire & the football is so boring he has to go. As soon as possible before we fall too far & the season is a write off

Phil Osophy

I can't but dissent again with the general feeling on here, after scoring 1 goal yesterday with 31 shots against the mighty Rochdale and conceding a goal with 5 attempts.

Against Astana we won 1-0 with 20 shots against 3 and missing chances left, right and center again. After playing Wolves (D), Palace (L) and Soton (D) I checked the stats and we had 52 shots in those games while conceded 21, but we scored just 3 goals while conceded 4, with less than half of our attempts.

From that point, I don't know how anyone can say that our biggest problem is "lack of coaching" when these guys can't finish an ice cream. I'm not saying the rest is excellent, but just compare this with West Ham and Watford battering us at OT around March last season and having more shots than us (Watford x3). It's a different story now. Then we can discuss if it's lack of quality, a simple bad patch or some players melting under pressure, but it's obvious that we should be scoring and winning more based on our attacking volume.

The truth is I don't like the way we manage the ball at times as it's slow and predictable, but that's been a constant for years and we need both coaching and better materials to see solid improvements. Most of us were waiting for the transfer window to see those additions, just to end up getting weakened in midfield and attack, relying on kids and some experienced turds. We can blame Solskjaer for the lack of transfers and the climate change too, but he said that every player sold should be replaced and we're all still waiting for them.

In the end it's difficult to dominate midfield with the current bunch and play quick, incisive combinations when they can barely do the basics right, let alone killing off games when we need 30 shots to score a goal.

It's a poisoned job at the moment, and even if we wanted to hire a new coach we can't present the club and the squad in this state to anyone with some credit and expect him to sign. If that guy is intelligent and has some reputation there's no way he comes here to lose his credit. So if we replace Ole at some point this season after reaching some catastrophic situation, I'm sure it will be another transitional figure until the club is ready to present an ambitious plan and willing to invest hard again.

Until then I think Ole will be given time and it's the right thing to do, because wasting time and money on sacking a manager, commiting with a new one just to find himself in the same difficult situation would be a silly use of resources. If they are going to spend money, do it once on whatever Ole says we need, because there's no better diagnose of this team than one coming from that man right now, not just from a technical point of view but also from a dressing room perspective.

By the moment the energies have been refreshed this summer, the attitude has improved after everything got rotten in the last months of last season, and the team is not broken in two sides like it happened many times. I think the team defends well around the field as a unit, there's commitment from the players, and hopefully they improve the mechanics off the ball in attack too.

Their 3 signings seem to be accurate and surely they have the next ones in mind, so probably the quickest route for improvement is to let the current staff to find solutions, polish the team as much as they can and try to develop a good basis. To me it sounds better than restarting everything again because we don't like what we see, while the rest of problems above and under the manager remain exactly the same and would limit the next one too.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

What is worse is that we aren't killing it at home either.

It's fecking frightening. If fans cannot see the major regression going on before their eyes right now, they deserve what's coming to them. This is an absolute avalanche, it is running out of control and destroying everything in its path and it appears to be unstoppable. This, after adding the 3 x players he wanted and getting rid of apparent 'deadwood'.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

We seem to have a team with talented young players in it who are supported by poor senior players.

The senior players should be giving them the platform to express themselves but they're the ones who are not performing or not up to performing. They're not giving confidence to the young ones.

Last night it was Pogba, Lingard, Jones and Mata. Weekend it was Matic, Young, Mata, Lindelof and even Maguire to an extent - he had an opportunity to step up and lead at the weekend but didn't.

Ole also needs to pick a team and stick with it for a run of games, too many changes game to game imo.

Despite the fact we were sh*t last night I reckon we'll beat arsenal on Monday and that will be the pattern of the season.

OleGunnar20

How do we turn it around, that's the question?
Honestly, with the state our squad is in I see very few options.

Settling back into a 4-3-3 along the lines of:

DDG
AWB - Tuanzebe - Maguire - Shaw
----Fred - McTom - Pogba
Greenwood - Martial - James

Would be my preference. Stick with it for as long as injuries allow, then try as hard as we can to sign a Fred replacement & backup striker in January. Hopefully we'll still be in with a shot at European football by then.

fergiesarmy1

Technically he’s born in England if I’m right? So he’s English :lol:
Who we talking about James? He was born in sunny hull but his old man is welsh “apparently”

A hull red I know says that’s bollocks as he knows his old man.....

tomaldinho1

From that point, I don't know how anyone can say that our biggest problem is "lack of coaching" when these guys can't finish an ice cream. I'm not saying the rest is excellent, but just compare this with West Ham and Watford battering us at OT around March last season and having more shots than us (Watford x3). It's a different story now. Then we can discuss if it's lack of quality, a simple bad patch or some players melting under pressure, but it's obvious that we should be scoring and winning more based on our attacking volume.

The truth is I don't like the way we manage the ball at times as it's slow and predictable, but that's been a constant for years and we need both coaching and better materials to see solid improvements. Most of us were waiting for the transfer window to see those additions, just to end up getting weakened in midfield and attack, relying on kids and some experienced turds. We can blame Solskjaer for the lack of transfers and the climate change too, but he said that every player sold should be replaced and we're all still waiting for them.
Kind of answered you own question there. Just because it was bad before, doesn't mean it should be bad now and that's why clubs fire and hire managers - you can take a number of PL coaches outside of the huge clubs and see quickly the effect of good coaching (Leicester, wolves, Southampton off the top of my head) that's not to say these teams will be amazing or that we should aspire to copy their styles but I can look at those clubs and very quickly see their identity. I can't with ours and that's purely on the heads of the coaching staff.

Patience

Who we talking about James? He was born in sunny hull but his old man is welsh “apparently”

His father - who WAS born in Wales - passed away in June.

Mainoldo

Firstly, #MUFC’s outfield 10 last night only consisted of 3-4 who’d get in my strongest XI (Mason, Pogba, AWB, with Axel close); 3 who I don’t think will last long-term under Ole; 2 who will only be squad players long-term, & Chong who still has a way to go in his development...

More so, two of those 3-4 strongest players weren’t 100%. Pogba has been injured & looked rusty. Greenwood had been ill. So people must consider it was a mish-mash side, & these are the games where non-regulars/non-longtermers must get some mins to build/maintain fitness just in case

Tactically, #MUFC suffered for not having a creative No10. Angel Gomes would have made a huge difference. I do not know the circumstances for his absence. Mata was rested. And overall, this is an area Utd are a key player short. Which I’m sure will be addressed in Jan/summer...

I would have liked to have seen B.Williams start at LB. He offers a much bigger threat going FW, & is great at over-lapping & stretching the width of the pitch (despite being right-footed). Rojo gave his all but is simply not a LB, & wastes attacking positions with wild shots.

My final tactical point is that it was unorthodox to maintain a 4231 with a CM axis of two offensive-minded players who both have a tendency for being caught in possession (Pogba/Fred). It was inevitable that Rochdale would get a couple of good breakaway chances, with no DM...

Despite those tactical/selection assessments, Ole is perfectly entitled to pick the #MUFC team he did for a Lg.Cup game vs Rochdale at OT. As mentioned, these are games to build players & give rest to others, so some square pegs in round holes is inevitable & generally accepted.

Other #MUFC & big PL managers have often done the same & paid the consequences. But despite all of these issues, Utd had 31 shots; created 6 ‘big chances’ (only Chelsea & Ajax created more around Europe the last 2 days); & limited Rochdale to just 5 shots (2 on target)..

Finishing was the main issue - it might have been v.different had Pogba scored his free header, or had Greenwood been as ruthless as he often is. For these two players, I’m not worried. And with Martial to return, #MUFC’s finishing should improve..

There was no problem whatsoever with the effort of the players picked, but it was a combination of unfamiliar/unfit/undeveloped players who as the game developed perhaps also developed a fear-factor. Given the pressure & nervousness over the wider situation...

Ole picked such a team well-aware of the risks but was entitled to do so given the competition & the opposition. Unlike Spurs, West Ham, & many past big sides, #MUFC are through. And many of the players will learn, develop, & benefit from the tough situations they faced...

To finish, I always have an idea of positives, negatives, & the overall circumstances, whether I tweet it all or not. I’m an optimist by nature, but also capable of seeing the wider picture & longterm benefits if Ole is allowed time, leniencies, & resources to do this sizeable job.

Can he do that assessment for Arsenal’s 5-0 drubbing of Championship Forrest. With there unfit and unused/underdeveloped players?

Mainoldo

Yeah from what I read he was born in Hull. You saying his Dad was English too or James wasn’t born in England? I misunderstood.

rotherham_red

I can't but dissent again with the general feeling on here, after scoring 1 goal yesterday with 31 shots against the mighty Rochdale and conceding a goal with 5 attempts.

Against Astana we won 1-0 with 20 shots against 3 and missing chances left, right and center again. After playing Wolves (D), Palace (L) and Soton (D) I checked the stats and we had 52 shots in those games while conceded 21, but we scored just 3 goals while conceded 4, with less than half of our attempts.

In the end it's difficult to dominate midfield with the current bunch and play quick, incisive combinations when they can barely do the basics right, let alone killing off games when we need 30 shots to score a goal.

It's a poisoned job at the moment, and even if we wanted to hire a new coach we can't present the club and the squad in this state to anyone with some credit and expect him to sign. If that guy is intelligent and has some reputation there's no way he comes here to lose his credit. So if we replace Ole at some point this season after reaching some catastrophic situation, I'm sure it will be another transitional figure until the club is ready to present an ambitious plan and willing to invest hard again.

Until then I think Ole will be given time and it's the right thing to do, because wasting time and money on sacking a manager, commiting with a new one just to find himself in the same difficult situation would be a silly use of resources. If they are going to spend money, do it once on whatever Ole says we need, because there's no better diagnose of this team than one coming from that man right now, not just from a technical point of view but also from a dressing room perspective.

By the moment the energies have been refreshed this summer, the attitude has improved after everything got rotten in the last months of last season, and the team is not broken in two sides like it happened many times. I think the team defends well around the field as a unit, there's commitment from the players, and hopefully they improve the mechanics off the ball in attack too.

Their 3 signings seem to be accurate and surely they have the next ones in mind, so probably the quickest route for improvement is to let the current staff to find solutions, polish the team as much as they can and try to develop a good basis. To me it sounds better than restarting everything again because we don't like what we see, while the rest of problems above and under the manager remain exactly the same and would limit the next one too.
All absolutely fair, watch you get pounced on for being deluded though...

Cypherage

Because exactly a year ago we're having this conversation about why ole would become our next saf

We all know how that turns out.

People are giving too much credit on awb Maguire james purchase. James is a good buy, but buying maguire and awb and having the works is no genious. Any manager with a 150m at hand could do that. Dont we all laugh at jose for only wanting ready made player?
Personally I think Jose was the wrong man for the club because by the time he got here he looked as if he had already fallen out of love with the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
It isn't if Phelan is rubbish, as you say Fergie was not fool where his coaches were concerned. It is more if his coaching is relevant in today's football. The other two are inexperienced regarding training first team professional footballers.
But again, that goes on the assumption that Phelan is "outdated" and has not managed to keep up to date at all. All i am saying is maybe, just maybe, our dire fotball is not Phelan/Carrick/McKenna/Ole's fault alone, but also the players under performing or simply not being good enough to warrant playing for us

ash_86

Sums it up nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.