Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Disaster season? Are you forgetting that Tuchel took over in January with Chelsea 20 points behind City. Pretty sure on points won since he took over Chelsea are near top.

I was very skeptical when he took over but performances and results have been undeniably superb. It’s bizarre to say he was a couple of games away from total disaster.

And does he not get credit for beating both Madrid sides and City in the CL run? No it was all down to Pep tinkering I suppose. Ffs
Matchweek 19 (when Lampard was sacked) you lot were 11 points behind us at 1st and just 5 points away from top 4 so i have no idea where you get that number from. I simply said no CL football would have been a disaster season for Chelsea, which i stand by. No doubt a job well done by Tuchel, but Lampard having you lot at 9th was severely under performing with that squad

And Pep did feck up in the CL final. Playing Foden as a CM and moving De Bruyne up as some sort of false nine backfired badly. No doubt a good setup by Tuchel as well, but Pep's tinkering cost him as City were pretty heavy favorites going into the game

Lemansky

I am actually very, very surprised reading through this thread. The opposite views, the harsh tone etc. Ole ain’t perfect that’s for sure, but the negativity from some of here towards him is very strange.

We are now at the most exciting point in years, brilliant signings, youth coming through and a real togetherness in the squad and club. Everyone are pulling in the same direction and working towards making us competitive again.

After Ole took over the reigns we have clearly improved both on and off the pitch. The signing of Ronaldo just adds to the pressure improving more and finally winning a trophy.

There is some viable criticism of Ole. I don’t always agree with his in game tactics and sometimes also doubt how he sets the team up. That being said his positives far outweigh the negatives. For the first time in ages I am really excited before games and can’t wait for the next game.

Ole has done a top job so far. His transfers this season has added pressure winning something and we really should challenge. That being said a poor performance against Wolves away is no reason loosing it. I remember plenty of these performances under SAF, we did grind a lot of results under his leadership also and people seem to have forgotten. The main criticism against Ferguson back in the days was identical to what Ole gets now. Not good enough tactically etc. I predict this team only getting better through this season, it’s gonna be a great ride.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Never understood what going to a game has to do with football knowledge
They're the life blood of the club and the people with the closest connection to the team. Especially the lads who go week in week out away from home. They embody the passion and the love of the club that we should all emulate.

Eriku

Well he won them the CL which is more than any post SAF manager has done for us. Arteta won the FA Cup which is the FA Cup and not very meaningful these days. The CL is the biggest prize in club football.

And then there's the fact that Chelsea have improved so much to anyone with a working pair of eyes who watches them when they're on the TV. Reminds me of Klopp at Liverpool when they were the ones making all the progress but many couldn't see it. Whether Tuchel is good enough to actually win a league against Klopp and Pep remains to be seen. However based on his time there, his impact has been transformational with them winning the CL and looking like contenders this year (let's see if they actually do, don't rate them as highly as others). We have had Ole for three years and I still can't th imprint of a top coach (already visible at Chelsea).
Just saying that pointing to an ECL like that would also mean that a lot of top managers fall short of Di Matteo’s haul.

Not making a comparison between him and Tuchel, just saying that people that barge in claiming these hard facts tell the whole tale are simplistic in their reasoning.

meamth

"You guys"? Weird, I fully back him and am happy with 7 points from 9, given the first games of the season before the international break are historically tricky. I certainly wouldn't be sacking him and he deserves the season.

If you think other people's posts are a "total joke", then you might need to have a look at your own posting style. You come across needlessly confrontational and aggressive when anyone dares to question Ole.

We were piss poor yesterday, and pretty poor against Southampton - so people are entitled to that opinion. I'm delighted we have 7 points personally, as we easily could have lost yesterday. The fact of the matter is, performances need to drastically improve after the international break. I have no doubt they will when we have a larger pool of players to choose from, and players are fitter. Nevertheless, improvements are needed.

You have a habit of posting in absolutes and hyperbole about Ole, trying to make out that he's some demi-God, and no one else could do the job he has done. I mean, if you post hyperbolic bollox, expect responses to be in the same vein. I support Ole for now, but it's pretty easy to see why so many have reservations about him. If you take a step back from your overly aggressive, one-sided stance, you would see things more rationally.
Let's be real here. Those wishing to replace Ole now is a total joke and doesn't make sense.

mancan92

They're the life blood of the club and the people with the closest connection to the team. Especially the lads who go week in week out away from home. They embody the passion and the love of the club that we should all emulate.
What has that got to do with football knowledge?

Most of the lads I know who are at matches are wasted the whole time so are barely even focusing on the tactical aspects of the game

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It generally has nothing to do with it.

I've met plenty of match going fans who clearly don't know much about football beyond shouting cliches and "singing" (usually whilst influenced by alcohol to varying degrees).

But then again, the most intolerable, arrogant and fundamentally idiotic "fans" I've ever discussed United with have all been people who never set foot within Old Trafford.

Robbie Boy

Let's be real here. Those wishing to replace Ole now is a total joke and doesn't make sense.
Well, try reasoned responses, instead of coming across like you're constantly having a breakdown because people don't rate Ole. You really shouldn't be taking it personally, and as I said, if you post in hyperbole, expect the responses to be hyperbolic.

NorLogs

Imagine being a supporter of a football club, after 3 consecutive years of improvement, at the very start of a new season, with arguably the most positive and sharp looking squad in ages, after a summer of blistering transfers, opening with 2 wins and 1 draw, and just fecking being miserable and spewing shite. Just imagine.

At some point I would have thought that these posters would settle down with the fact that their constant whining and non stop attacks at our manager wont get him fired any sooner. But no, there is no joy in their world when it comes to football anymore.

You just know at this point these people are hoping they are right, and that this season ends up without a trophy.

Incredible.

Matriac

I agree with most of what you say, but the issue, that Bruno is playing like a striker for most of the games isn't new at all. And it doesn't seem to be connected to certain opponents. So while your explanation is plausible in itself, I don't think, that this particular plan has been expressed somehow because it is the same we play every week.
Yeah, he has been going forward a bit in some games, to me it looks like we are trying to interchange our front 4 often in-game to confuse defenders and create openings for some magic throughballs from Pogba (and Bruno) especially. But Bruno probably seemed even more like a striker in this last game, due to the gameplan I mentioned above.

We managed a 1-1 draw against that team... just saying. While creating 6 shots on target and an xg of 1.1...When Chelsea lost to them, they created more clear cut chances than that (2.4). Obviously goals are the only relevant currency but it seems a bit rich to use a match like that as a stick to beat Tuchel with.
I was being kinda sarcastic, I agree that it's not a good enough stick to beat Tuchel with (WBA were strong against most top 6 teams last season). But it's the same kind of reasoning I see used against Ole, they call Soto/Wolves bottomfeeder clubs and that Ole should be getting convincing results in all those games. I was also slightly sarcastic about Tuchel "bottling it" by losing against Villa on the final day. Those kinds of results happen throughout a season, but it's the consistency at the end which shows how much those results mattered or not.

Eriku

Who said, that he is an awful manager? This sort of hyperbole doesn't really help the situation. Yesterdays match wasn't great and it showed some things, that have been criticized last year and the year before already. Acting dumbfounded that people point that out, is weird.
Uh, plenty of cries of PE teacher, fraud, clueless, etc. in recent days. Acting like they’re not there is weird.

big rons sovereign

You can see all of that from TV. Thats is why when the players and coaching are rewatching matches they watch. From TV angles not from crowd angles.
Players and staff will watch it from all angles yeah. Plus they'll have their own footage recorded. Sky aren't showing all that are they.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I am actually very, very surprised reading through this thread. The opposite views, the harsh tone etc. Ole ain’t perfect that’s for sure, but the negativity from some of here towards him is very strange.

We are now at the most exciting point in years, brilliant signings, youth coming through and a real togetherness in the squad and club. Everyone are pulling in the same direction and working towards making us competitive again.

After Ole took over the reigns we have clearly improved both on and off the pitch. The signing of Ronaldo just adds to the pressure improving more and finally winning a trophy.

There is some viable criticism of Ole. I don’t always agree with his in game tactics and sometimes also doubt how he sets the team up. That being said his positives far outweigh the negatives. For the first time in ages I am really excited before games and can’t wait for the next game.

Ole has done a top job so far. His transfers this season has added pressure winning something and we really should challenge. That being said a poor performance against Wolves away is no reason loosing it. I remember plenty of these performances under SAF, we did grind a lot of results under his leadership also and people seem to have forgotten. The main criticism against Ferguson back in the days was identical to what Ole gets now. Not good enough tactically etc. I predict this team only getting better through this season, it’s gonna be a great ride.
The thread is unnecessarily harsh, which motivates me to take a softer view. I certainly agree with what you’ve said. Perhaps we need a new assistant coach who can handle tactics while Ole does the rest. I don’t see any reason why that can’t work.

But maybe all we need is for Ole to give up on this idea of so many players being high up and leaving a single midfielder so often when a midfielder has to drop deep to get the ball from the press. Surely Bruno and Paul can do quick interchanges to play through midfield.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Imagine being a supporter of a football club, after 3 consecutive years of improvement, at the very start of a new season, with arguably the most positive and sharp looking squad in ages, after a summer of blistering transfers, opening with 2 wins and 1 draw, and just fecking being miserable and spewing shite. Just imagine.

At some point I would have thought that these posters would settle down with the fact that their constant whining and non stop attacks at our manager wont get him fired any sooner. But no, there is no joy in their world when it comes to football anymore.

You just know at this point these people are hoping they are right, and that this season ends up without a trophy.

Incredible.
Well said.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Uh, plenty of cries of PE teacher, fraud, clueless, etc. in recent days. Acting like they’re not there is weird.
Indeed.

There is a segment on here who absolutely detest Ole - or, to be diplomatical (more so than some of these posters deserve): they detest the idea that he is (still) our manager.

This is beyond debate for me - we've seen more than enough evidence of this being the case.

MattyLT

It's about relevance of opinion as well. In order of relevance:

1) Match attending fans
2) Local fans not attending games
3) Non-local fans
4) Foreign fans

Obviously, the mood in the stadium is more important than the mood on twitter or the caf. Also, a football club is an integral part of any local community, so again, the opinions of locals carry more weight. That is how it is, and how it should be.

Strelok

He was called worse than arteta just yesterday. :lol:
That's another whole level tbh :lol:

For me the silverwares are not that important, as long as the football is entertaining enough and we keep improving it's fine for me. What a time to be an United fan after what we had to go through with Moyes, LVG and especially Mourinho.

I've no idea if Ole is the right guy to bring us back to our glorious days, actually I think no one know for sure but I do thank him a lot for the positiveness and what he has done for us so far. And all United fans should feel the same I think.

Olecurls99

Or they live close by and it's a nice way to spend a Saturday

Strelok

It's about relevance of opinion as well. In order of relevance:

1) Match attending fans
2) Local fans not attending games
3) Non-local fans
4) Foreign fans

Obviously, the mood in the stadium is more important than the mood on twitter or the caf. Also, a football club is an integral part of any local community, so again, the opinions of locals carry more weight. That is how it is, and how it should be.
As a foreign fan I strongly disagree with this. Being a local fan does not ensure your football knowledge at all. Also the opinion. What matter here is what's right not who is the guy nor where he came from. This is a very stupid and entitled view imo.

NZT-One

Ok, maybe I just over-read these kind of responses as not noteworthy due to their standpoint often pretty superficial and the nature of the posts often emotional. Same way I try to overread the most enthusiastic celebrations.
I would argue, that it is mostly the same few people who are the ones with the most harsh reactions, all your "reasoning" didn't change them so will there be a point when you just ignore them? I mean, it isn't like "they are taking over" just because you are "fighting the good fight to keep the powers of evil in check". They aren't taking over because some of their standpoints are relatively unreasonable.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He was called worse than arteta just yesterday. :lol:
Arteta spent around 145m this window and they have 0 points, scored 0 goals. If Ole is a PE teacher then Arteta is a PE teacher's bottle carrier.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Of course they do.

Some people will call this a laughable notion ("we all want what's best for United") - but it's obviously true.

That's the nature of the thing (call it modern fandom or whatever you will) - it absolutely happens.

However, I think (hope) that posters who belong in this category amount to a small minority on here. It's usually a minority that tends to be extremely vocal, though.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
This "even SAF" argument needs to die.

Times have changed, some of the campaigns SAF had wouldnt win the title now. I trust he'd be able to adapt and go head to head with City, Liverpool. But stop trying to justify Ole's poor point totals and performances by "even under SAF..", that isnt the standard now anymore. More is needed.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Arteta spent around 145m this window and they have 0 points, scored 0 goals. If Ole is a PE teacher then Arteta is a PE teacher's bottle carrier.
Well tbh, it makes little sense to only include this season's transfer window and not previous onee, account for wages.

Ole has finished much better that Arteta, Arteta has actually won trophies.

MattyLT

As a foreign fan I strongly disagree with this. Being a local fan does not ensure your football knowledge at all. Also the opinion. What matter here is what's right not who is the guy nor where he came from. This is a very stupid and entitled view imo.
I'm not talking about football knowledge, but about relevance of opinion. Obviously, the opinions of people who are part of the community and the stadium mood are more important. "Entitlement" would be having no geographical connection to Manchester, and still demand that one's opinions carry the same clout as those who live and breathe Manchester and Manchester United every day of their lives.

AshRK

That's another whole level tbh :lol:

For me the silverwares are not that important, as long as the football is entertaining enough and we keep improving it's fine for me. What a time to be an United fan after what we had to go through with Moyes, LVG and especially Mourinho.

I've no idea if Ole is the right guy to bring us back to our glorious days, actually I think no one know for sure but I do thank him a lot for the positiveness and what he has done for us so far. And all United fans should feel the same I think.
Silverware is important but I wouldn't be happy if our club finishes 8th and wins a FA cup or league cup or even both. People may say Arteta won the FA cup but any arsenal fan would prefer to be in our position than theirs.

AshRK

That's just beyond harsh. At least PE teachers serve a purpose ffs!
May be wrong but I find some Ole outs here to be far more miserable than the extreme Ole ins. Like I have not seen Ole defenders call him better than Klopp.

AshRK

Well tbh, it makes little sense to only include this season's transfer window and not previous onee, account for wages.

Ole has finished much better that Arteta, Arteta has actually won trophies.
So would you have preferred us to win the FA cup and finish 8th. Does winning a trophy like that even have any worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.