Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It was utterly stupid of him to get rid of Fellaini in January. Then he told Lukaku that he is not in his plans. That's stupid management in that you don't get rid of your assets unless you can replace them.
He is playing or played to the gallery.
He is a fake as such as he has no clue how to coach a football team of a big club.
He says what people like to hear and is a nice guy.
He should be sacked or rather leave Manchester United by mutual consent.
Both were terrible and self harming incidents of man management, and it seems your 'gallery' point is very true.

To think fans forced out Mourinho and demanded this guy replace him. Oh, and that stupid bus song.

redIndianDevil

This idea that "ole is not the problem" is basically a Gary Neville special level of thick logic.

There isn't one problem, there are many, of which Ole is one.
I wish people wouldn't ignore this idiot, he can never talk about any managers, he would get ridiculed if he criticized any decent manager as his disastrous managerial experience would get thrown in his face, that's why he is always harping on about the current generation of players, he was a good player so he wouldn't get insulted if he took his criticism of players a bit far.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I wish people wouldn't ignore this idiot, he can never talk about any managers, he would get ridiculed if he criticized any decent manager as his disastrous managerial experience would get thrown in his face, that's why he is always harping on about the current generation of players, he was a good player so he wouldn't get insulted if he took his criticism of players a bit far.
And why didn't he criticize Moyes then? He knew before itself that he will fail at Valencia?

Some of the ridiculous theories *facepalm*. It's just that he played under single manager and he believes in giving time to managers, as ridiculous as it sounds. He is completely wrong in my opinion but this tin foil stuff is hilarious though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And why didn't he criticize Moyes then? He knew before itself that he will fail at Valencia?

Some of the ridiculous theories *facepalm*. It's just that he played under single manager and he believes in giving time to managers, as ridiculous as it sounds. He is completely wrong in my opinion but this tin foil stuff is hilarious though.
Yeah. I reckon Gary just has his own moral compass that he abides by, where he never wants to publically call for a managerial sacking. Rightly or wrongly he's been consistent enough in that. He's fine slagging off players and owners though

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah. I reckon Gary just has his own moral compass that he abides by, where he never wants to publically call for a managerial sacking. Rightly or wrongly he's been consistent enough in that. He's fine slagging off players and owners though
Yeah and he should change it. There is no wrong in changing opinions, after all everything changes very quickly in football.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
You have many, many problems:

Your owners (relatively minor - apart from letting Old Trafford go to pot, that's unforgivable - and the fact Woodward has seemingly not had to answer to them yet). People are upset because they seem to be business minded as opposed to focused on winning - that's the vast majority of people that own football clubs. Not something to justifiably moan about.

Woodward (pretty major - although I'd argue he has been unlucky in some respects). People criticise Woodward for being unwilling to sack managers until being in the top 4 is mathematically impossible - I think it's noble and fair.

However, too many bad decisions, too many poor transfers in and out effectively sanctioned. Letting Herrera go on a free. It will not do.

Ole (major) - he has left the squad threadbare, even if he has clearly got rid players who are either not good enough or never wanted to be there. However, the football played is painful irrespective of results. That's simply not good enough. Good transfers though. People say they were obvious, but most of your 'obvious' transfers pre-Ole were a disaster. Therefore, Ole gets the kudos for it. And to a lesser extent, Ed. But the football, good grief. I do not think he can sort it, but I also think trying to save a season is an absolute mug's game. Managers and teams can be streaky. A good streak may well be coming when players return from injury. The football will still be poor though unless Ole changes some things drastically.

Fans (pretty major): You essentially pushed Mourinho out, and Ole in. Nice going. You also refuse to adjust expectations on the basis that "We are Manchester United". Any fan who has used that phrase as a 'reason' you should be doing better fully deserves what you are getting right now.

But I digress...without a doubt the club should not be swayed by fans, especially regarding hirings - that's pathetic. But if you hired someone else, and they underachieved, it's guaranteed that a very large amount of fans would be on Woodward's case for not giving Ole the job.

Also, because Molde's season was about to start, Woodward had to make a call on Ole there and then - he could not wait until the end of the English season.
Of course, he made the wrong call, which is typical of him.
You can't help yourself from slagging off our fans in every post you make on here. :lol: I question why you're even here as you clearly dislike United and the fanbase.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
You can't help yourself from slagging off our fans in every post you make on here. :lol: I question why you're even here as you clearly dislike United and the fanbase.
I didn't realise I did it so often, I should probably stop! But....I don't dislike the local fanbase. In fact I've got a ton of respect for matchgoing fans and fans in and around the local community, and I always have done. I obviously have a grudge against your wider fanbase (as well as for other Premiership clubs, but mainly United's), but I understand how it doesn't help me at all to continually bring it up :lol:

Why am I on here? Because once upon a time, when I liked Premiership football before it became the bloated disgraceful mess it is now (in other words, before the 2000s), I really liked watching you guys. More than any other Premiership club. I also have seen several youth team games in person and enjoyed both trips to Old Trafford to watch League cup games, admittedly a very long time ago.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Consistently wrong.

Eric7C

I didn't realise I did it so often, I should probably stop! But....I don't dislike the local fanbase. In fact I've got a ton of respect for matchgoing fans and fans in and around the local community, and I always have done. I obviously have a grudge against your wider fanbase (as well as for other Premiership clubs, but mainly United's), but I understand how it doesn't help me at all to continually bring it up :lol:

Why am I on here? Because once upon a time, when I liked Premiership football before it became the bloated disgraceful mess it is now (in other words, before the 2000s), I really liked watching you guys. More than any other Premiership club. I also have seen several youth team games in person and enjoyed both trips to Old Trafford to watch League cup games, admittedly a very long time ago.
Yeah, I am sure Hartlepool fans are all angels, right down to every toddler.

SteveW

So according to xg we are the best defensively and 5th best going forward. Despite having an injury crisis and an absolutely shocking group of midfielders/number 10s. That to me suggests the coaching may not be anywhere as bad as some are suggesting.

We've managed to throw a heap of points away by missing penalties/sitters and giving away daft goals despite giving up the fewest chances in the league.

I don't see that as a result of bad management. It's just a difficult period early in the rebuild process. Best defence and 5th best offence probably gets you top 4 more often than not. They need more time.

FerociousCorgis

So according to xg we are the best defensively and 5th best going forward. Despite having an injury crisis and an absolutely shocking group of midfielders/number 10s. That to me suggests the coaching may not be anywhere as bad as some are suggesting.

We've managed to throw a heap of points away by missing penalties/sitters and giving away daft goals despite giving up the fewest chances in the league.

I don't see that as a result of bad management. It's just a difficult period early in the rebuild process. Best defence and 5th best offence probably gets you top 4 more often than not. They need more time.
only thing we somewhat create is via set pieces. From open play we are like 4th worst attack in league. That is more a long term indication than counting on set pieces IMO.

TRUERED89

Best defence ? We've kept 2 clean sheets in the opening 8 games :houllier:. Who creates these xG nonsense stats.

SteveW

only thing we somewhat create is via set pieces. From open play we are like 4th worst attack in league. That is more a long term indication than counting on set pieces IMO.
Set pieces aren't going to be outlawed.

I get what your saying though. I think it's difficult with the group he's working with right now. Matic, Fred, Mata, Pereira and Lingard are very uncreative players and have been since long before Ole arrived.

Losing Martial and Pogba killed the creative spark of the team.

SteveW

Best defence ? We've kept 2 clean sheets in the opening 8 games :houllier:. Who creates these xG nonsense stats.
Most of the goals have been daft individual errors. The overall level of defending has been good as shown by the low amounts of chances created against us.

Xg isn't something someone makes up. It's an accurate metric that gives a useful perspective.

romufc

Most of the goals have been daft individual errors. The overall level of defending has been good as shown by the low amounts of chances created against us.

Xg isn't something someone makes up. It's an accurate metric that gives a useful perspective.
We shall see how well we defend V Liverpool then.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Daft individula error and best defence ?

Remember we're up against the mighty Newcastle strike force, astana and az alkmar

Rusholme Ruffian

So you decide to join a forum of a group of fans that you admit you have a grudge against? Weird. While I'm here though, I get that we are the biggest group of fans, but other than sheer numbers what is it about United fans that you dislike more than others?

SteveW

We shall see how well we defend V Liverpool then.
That game terrifies me. I think we'll get slaughtered unless we can get some of our better players back fit again in time. The squad that went to Newcastle isn't beating anyone.

I still think we need to try and get the full picture though. We didn't get the results we deserved in the early games. Confidence has suffered and injuries have piled up.

I don't see it as all down to Ole at all. I think it's short sighted to see it that way.

TRUERED89

xG and stats never gives you true context of the games. We're looking horrendous defensively too, Smalling and Jones could be back in their and it'd look no different (apart from Smalling not losing daft headers against Palace and Southampton unlike Lindelöf).

romufc

That game terrifies me. I think we'll get slaughtered unless we can get some of our better players back fit again in time. The squad that went to Newcastle isn't beating anyone.

I still think we need to try and get the full picture though. We didn't get the results we deserved in the early games. Confidence has suffered and injuries have piled up.

I don't see it as all down to Ole at all. I think it's short sighted to see it that way.
Very terrifying, especially if Liverpool come out with full on press early on or get an early goal.

I agree, it is not all down to Ole because the players should be showing more fight. Any team with 6 first team players out would struggle but the fact that we are struggling so badly and he isn't backing his words of trusting the youth concerns me slightly.

Rusholme Ruffian

what about all the games at the end of last season?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Very terrifying, especially if Liverpool come out with full on press early on or get an early goal.

I agree, it is not all down to Ole because the players should be showing more fight. Any team with 6 first team players out would struggle but the fact that we are struggling so badly and he isn't backing his words of trusting the youth concerns me slightly.
He chose to flog off certain players and keep these ones. If the ones he's kept aren't showing any fight maybe he's not doing his job as manager in 1) evaluating his squad and 2) motivating his players.

Eric7C

The last grope of the statisticians has begun. They no longer want to believe their eyes.

SteveW

Daft individula error and best defence ?

Remember we're up against the mighty Newcastle strike force, astana and az alkmar
Yes. We've given up the fewest chances but De Gea, Lindelof×2, and Tuanzebe have all made bad individual mistakes that cost us points.

Alkmar and Astana didn't score. (These games don't count towards PL xg stats)

romufc

He chose to flog off certain players and keep these ones. If the ones he's kept aren't showing any fight maybe he's not doing his job as manager in 1) evaluating his squad and 2) motivating his players.
I think you and I both know it is almost impossible under this structure to do what he wanted to do.

It is clear that Matic, Young etc are not his cup of tea and would have wanted more players in the window but was not backed fully.

When you have your main CF, LB, CM, RB injured most teams will struggle considering that without Paul pogba we look like a Sunday league team anyway.

Ole has not done him any favours because he has talked the talk but has failed to walk an inch.

SteveW

You are counting Southampton goal as a mistake?
I do. I don't expect him to win the header against that giant but he should have been jumping into him to put him off. He made it very easy easy for him. Its definitely the least blatant of the errors though. The other 3 mentioned were shockers in comparison.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Need a source on that, because it has no basis in reality.

We are 18th in xG table for goals from open play, 10 for goals from set pieces, and 8th overall for xG which in large part is boosted by 4 penalties which we have gotten this season. Also, we've been continuously sliding down this table every passing week.

We simply don't generate enough chances which is pretty evident if you watch us, the data will only tell us what he already know i.e. we are devoid of creativity. Start looking at legit sources.

The last grope of the statisticians has begun. They no longer want to believe their eyes.
Not even that, the stats don't even match up to what the poster was saying. As always, eye test will trump any set of data/stat which one can have at the disposal.

So you decide to join a forum of a group of fans that you admit you have a grudge against? Weird. While I'm here though, I get that we are the biggest group of fans, but other than sheer numbers what is it about United fans that you dislike more than others?
There are way too many scousers masquerading as lower division supporters on this board.

Last edited:

SteveW

Weirdly. In the first few games we were obviously better than the opposition to the eyes but the statisticians kept pointing to the points dropped. Can't have in both ways mate.

Admittedly the last few games have been horrible as the injuries piled up and were left fielding absolute crap.

SteveW

Need a source on that, because it has no basis in reality.

We are 18th in xG table for goals from open play, 10 for goals from set pieces, and 8th overall for xG which in large part is boosted by 4 penalties which we have gotten this season. Also, we've been continuously sliding down this table every passing week.

We simply don't generate enough chances which is pretty evident if you watch us, the data will only tell us what he already know i.e. we are devoid of creativity. Start looking at legit sources.
That guy who wrote zonal marking did an article on it today.

I'm not suggesting we are creative right now for what it's worth. No team with Matic, Fred, Mata, Pereira and Lingard ever could be.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think you and I both know it is almost impossible under this structure to do what he wanted to do.

It is clear that Matic, Young etc are not his cup of tea and would have wanted more players in the window but was not backed fully.

When you have your main CF, LB, CM, RB injured most teams will struggle considering that without Paul pogba we look like a Sunday league team anyway.

Ole has not done him any favours because he has talked the talk but has failed to walk an inch.
But this is it. If you know you can't bring in the players you want, why sell Fellaini and Lukaku and Sanchez etc.? You sell if you know you can replace.

He shoulders a lot of the blame there.

Eric7C

Weirdly. In the first few games we were obviously better than the opposition to the eyes but the statisticians kept pointing to the points dropped. Can't have in both ways mate.

Admittedly the last few games have been horrible as the injuries piled up and were left fielding absolute crap.
We were not 'obviously' better than Chelsea. We were worse than Wolves in the second half. We couldn't beat 10 man Southampton. The less said about West Ham and Newcastle the better.

The only game we were objectively better than the opponent was CP, a game we managed to lose.

Any opinion that the football has been upto the standard of what United expect is absolutely deluded.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
That guy who wrote zonal marking did an article on it today.

I'm not suggesting we are creative right now for what it's worth. No team with Matic, Fred, Mata, Pereira and Lingard ever could be.
Link the article here. I want to see how the author came to conclusion that we are 5th best team in the division going forward.

Also, it's not only the players. With Pogba, Shaw, Martial fit for first 3-4 matches we weren't pulling up any trees when it came to generating chances. We were still in bottom half for both chances created, and xG from open play. It was pretty obvious that once we stopped getting penalties on a weekly basis, data would reflect our lack of creativity which was overlooked early on in the season.

Foxbatt

Yep, which is the mindset Neville has and falls into that category, and is influencing certain fans to think the same.
But this is it. If you know you can't bring in the players you want, why sell Fellaini and Lukaku and Sanchez etc.? You sell if you know you can replace.

You have Fellaini, Lukaku and Sanchez and we win most probably all the games we lost and win all what we drew.
He is to blame for this disaster.

romufc

Ofcourse he shoulders alot of blame letting Sanchez go after the deadline knowing you cant get anyone in.. almost even letting Rojo go when Bailly is injured and everyone knows Jones can't stay fit for longer than 70 mins whilst shipping Smalling out.

I don't know what he is thinking there..

I agree with the sale of Fellainin and Lukaku because it was time we start making changes, it would have preffered it if he actually trusted some of the youth players like Gomes, Greenwood and Garner.

romufc

You have Fellaini, Lukaku and Sanchez and we win most probably all the games we lost and win all what we drew.
He is to blame for this disaster.
Lukaku, Fellaini and Sanchez were around last year too, we were not playing glorious winning football then either.

Status
Not open for further replies.