Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Permanent manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Nov 7, 2019 at 17:31

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Not sure how you got that from my post.
  2. Nov 7, 2019 at 18:45

Andycoleno9 Full Member

You said that Liverpool fans still love and respect Kenny because he is a legend. I presumed that you think that about Ole. And i disagree with that. Legend status you get by doing good things for your club. Ole deserved that in his playing career. But when you start doing bad things for your club and you keep doing it, you lose "legend" status protection.

Yes, i know, i am cold bastard( not true fan as some say) and i have no respect to our legends. Sorry, but Ole is doing serious damage to this club and i am really pissed because of that.
  3. Nov 7, 2019 at 18:49

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Even if Ole loses next 5 games he will still be a legend, he will be a shit manager but legend at ManUtd.

And yeah, I love Ole and respect him forever, doesn't mean I want him to continue as manager. It's not hard to differentiate between all these.
  4. Nov 7, 2019 at 21:56

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Impossible to enjoy this victory knowing AZ have scored 13 in 4.
  5. Nov 7, 2019 at 21:58

ayushreddevil9 Full Member

the misery is real these days when one can't even enjoy a game where their team scores 3 goals and kept a clean sheet...
  6. Nov 7, 2019 at 21:59

Kush Full Member

Enjoyed that performance, but it still changes nothing with regards to Ole.
  7. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:00

Flexdegea New Member

Honestly football ain't for you if you can't enjoy that game.

Imagine your only thought being AZ have scored 13 goals
  8. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:01

el3mel Full Member

It's Norwich mk2. Great win against crap opposition but we shouldn't look any further than that. At least it's a comfortable night today.
  9. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:01

dove Full Member

This was a game we could have won 3-0 without a manager, Partizan were shite.
  10. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:01

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Shame and bizarre you couldn’t enjoy the game, it was a good game.
  11. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:10

Majima Full Member

Good win, happy to see confidence lifted a bit.

But i'm under no illusions, there was still stagnant movement ahead of the ball carrier in midfield throughout tonight. Too much sideways passing and touches on the ball. Our build-up play was again atrocious.

Partizan were just that bad, that we could damage them that easily. I wonder whether they even are pro level.

Let's see what our build-up is like vs a deep defence this weekend vs Brighton.

If we play the same failing 4231 with a No.10, i'm not going to be impressed.
  12. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:13

ash_86 Full Member

Good win for us today and good that Ole tried an interesting front 3. Add Pogba to the mix and we have a very good front 6 :

Rashford ------- Martial -----------Greenwood

---------------Pogba--------------------

-----------Fred ---------- Scott------------
  13. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:14

Flexdegea New Member

Did you watch the same game as everyone else :houllier:
  14. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:17

Majima Full Member

And you are?

It was Partizan, not Barcelona. I'm more interested in what we're like vs Brighton at the weekend.

Considering we've struggled to break down deep defences since eternity and i saw plenty of warning signs tonight to not get carried away by tonight's result.
  15. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:24

sweetmgd New Member

For Greenwood, of course now in order to give him game time and develop his body, we can play him at RW, but if you see in the match, Greenwood was very quiet most of the time. I think his long term best position is striker, since his skill set and speed remind me of VPS.
  16. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:26

Fredo Full Member

3 very good goals by our front 3, hope to build on that, the formation was also something worth looking at (Fred, McSauce, Rojo, Harry) as back 4 and Young and AWB always forward. We were sometimes lucky Partizan where shit on the counter but still was a good entertaining game. Happy to see Garner come on as well, he has really good weight in his passing was really impressed by him. Fred had a good game as well. Overall very good tactics from Ole it kept us on the front foot, Partizan or not, we lost to Bournemouth on the weekend without even looking like scoring, cheer up a bit.
  17. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:30

432JuanMata Full Member

This. I’m not bashing Ole but Partizan are crap my problem is we win a game in the Europa League or League cup then revert back to shit in the PL when teams sit deep and are decent. Bournemouth match was our last one before tonight and we were terrible we need to put in a good performance against Brighton on the weekend
  18. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:32

matt10000 New Member

Then why are you a football fan? You may as well just support whoever is winning if you disregard all history and have no respect or connection to those who you have watched over the years
  19. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:35

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

It's weird (actually not) how we occasionally hit upon the most patently obvious things like "playing Juan Mata in a 10 behind 3 quick forwards against lesser teams is a better way of structuring the side than putting him on the right wing and just not having a midfield at all" and then after lazily repeating it in the following game, against much less tactically suitable opposition, reliably ignoring it for another good few months, until we've cycled through all the other options and accidentally arrived back at trying it again...

All said and done, that was a genuinely enjoyable watch. Which would be much more enjoyable if it didn't seem like a happy accident that we'll probably fail to learn anything from a month from now.

I don't want to be negative though... So with that in mind - Mason has a really great looking running style. Possibly the most aesthetically pleasing since Beckham. However the position of his eyebrows makes him seem perpetually startled by everything.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 22:44
  20. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:36

SteveW Full Member

They played some lovely football until the third goal went in. No idea what you were watching.

Coming into the Solskjaer thread so say that shows your agenda as clear as day.
  21. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:38

SteveW Full Member

I thought they ran out of gas a bit against Bournmouth to be honest. 4 away games in 11 days with a small squad isn't easy.
  22. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:40

Sweet Square Full Member

Stop watching United.

Or just stop moaning on here. Cheers.
  23. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:46

mu4c_20le Full Member

The thing is, if Ole changes a 'winning formula' in the next game and it doesnt work out, he'll be crucified for not knowing what he's doing. Mata was played at the 10 a couple of times, most notably against West Ham, where the game completely passed him by. It's not like we have many options. I bet you if he starts Pereira on Sunday, this place would be up in arms.
  24. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:57

Majima Full Member

They did but your comment assumes that Brighton will play the same way as Partizan?

It's not like we haven't played the same 4231 vs deep defences and failed every time this season...

Just because i'm not getting carried away by tonight's performance against extremely weak opposition, i have an agenda?
  25. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:59

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate Scout

Could we show some respect to Partizan players and not call them farmers?
  26. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:06

SER19 Full Member

Latest Ole position:

We've 4 wins from 5,admittedly decent fixtures, yet the Bournemouth performance suggested we haven't improved at all really.

Pros at the moment

Rashford and Martial in good form.

Team spirit still looks positive (as opposed to previous tenures where sack looked imminent)

There have been (all too few) glimpses of good football leading to goals. Goals v arsenal, Liverpool, Norwich, partizan and some early in season were all the result of the type of football I like to see.

Cons

No indication whatsoever that we will deliver against any solid pl team that performs well and invites us to break them down.

I still don't think Maguires partner has been found and though he hasn't been bad, lindelof has been very disappointing. I thought he'd really kick on this year. Left back is a shambles but not on solskjaer at the moment as Shaw had a good season.

Incredibly inconsistent. It would take a huge run of form to actually build confidence again.

Summary

I think solskjaer is safe until March or April no matter what. I love the man, desperately want him to succeed and am more optimistic than others that he actually has some sort of plan. All this said, our season depends on 10 points at least, from our next 12. Anything less and it really is just an endless cycle of false dawns.
  27. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:08

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Oh I agree... And that kinda proves my point, does it not? The obvious answer being "well Mata in a 10 against West Ham away isn't as good a tactic as Mata in a 10 at home to so and so" because ...well, obviously! Discerning those things are what managers are supposed to be for.

If you canvassed fan opinion (by which I mean a reasonably culled, overly invested fan opinion, disenfranching anyone belonging to a facebook group of any kind) most would've told you 4 years ago that Mata in the 10 was a good idea... and also a much better idea at home than away...Especially traditionally physical aways like West Ham, where his lack of strength and time on the ball is likely to prove ineffective....

Again, this is fecking basic seeming stuff... but stuff it seems to take every new United manager a whole season to learn. Which is frankly insane.

One of the things Ole is being currently celebrated for, is the deadweight shifting sales of Lukaku, Sanchez and Fellaini....Ironic lack of foresight notwithstanding, all of which were sales most fans were calling for way ahead of time... We're literally celebrating one of the highest paid managers of one of the richest clubs in the world, belated reaching the same conclusion as a bunch of forum gimps!.... Which is why I'm reserving real enthusiasm for when our performances seem genuinely planned, rather than randomly chanced.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 23:17
  28. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:10

SteveW Full Member

Nobody asked you to get carried away. Maybe don't come in to the manager thread ranting and criticising straight after a good performance that most normal people enjoyed though. That's what someone without an agenda would do.
  29. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:11

Shark @NotShark

This is sadly true. Enjoyable win but that’s where it ends, I still have very little optimism in Ole when he goes up against solid opposition.
  30. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:14

alexthelion New Member

Well according to a lot of you on here, we did that tonight.

Why can't "fans" actually enjoy a win for what it is and stop moaning for one second?
  31. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:16

mu4c_20le Full Member

I don't think Ole is just realizing it now, i think that his options are incredibly limited. With injuries to all our strikers and Pogba, the only other choices were Pereira and Lingard, who is a shadow of his former self these days. I remember being linked with Coutinho in the summer, how we could have done with him now at the 10 position. But for one reason or another, it did not materialize.. besides the player being uninterested, my speculation is that perhaps we could not afford his wages. Not without offloading the likes of Sanchez and Lukaku first, anyways.
  32. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:23

SteveW Full Member

Is everything ok? That an incredibly miserable outlook.
  33. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:34

Majima Full Member

How is observations i witnessed multiple times throughout tonight's match ranting and criticising?

I acknowledged the win tonight but what we perform like vs Brighton is much more important to me. Is it not to you?

What i saw tonight was that we played the same way as we normally do. Lots of static movement, sideways passing and too many touches on the ball slowing play down. The goals we scored were from magic individual play. It wasn't an emphatic performance tonight by my standards. The only difference was the level of opponent we faced.

There is no agenda. I just can't celebrate tonight's win, because i'm fully aware of how much we still need to improve.
  34. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:39

SteveW Full Member

There was heaps of nice link up play for the first hour. Between Rashford and Martial in particular. We could have scored 7.
  35. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:46

nokillingmoths Full Member

I really hope he isn't safe no matter what, could be a complete disaster. We played some great football tonight but they were absolutely awful, both technically and tactically.

Jury is still very much out on ole and if our points per game doesn't start to improve in the league he needs to go.
  36. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:50

Rafaeldagold Full Member

It was much better tonight & where I give him a lot of flack it’s deserved & tonight in fairness was obviously a lot better, but the opposition was terrible in all honesty it’s hard to really gauge too much from where we are right now on that game.

Unfortunately Oles previous performances and results against better opposition in the league suggest he isn’t the best man for the job & I feel we can do much better as a club. First half tonight was enjoyable at least for first time in a while
  37. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:53

Andycoleno9 Full Member

I really don't know how you made this conclusion after reading my post.
  38. Nov 7, 2019 at 23:54

Majima Full Member

Maybe you misunderstand. I agree. The link-up play between Martial & Rashford in the final third were the only positives of the match for me. But you can say they were only able to get so much space between themselves due to the level of opponent we were against. They afforded us a lot of space to do our thing.

Against tougher opponents, there won't be as much space for them both. We just saw that very thing vs Bournemouth where they were both starved of service. I saw the same thing at times tonight, when Partizan were very deep and we were starting our build-up with Maguire or Fred/McT, the amount of sideways/backwards passing due to no options ahead of the ball was there to see.

That is what i'm talking about, when i say i want to see what we're like vs Brighton at the weekend. As i know this type of match has been our main weakness for as long as i can remember now.
  39. Nov 8, 2019 at 00:00

ash_86 Full Member

I agree. We don't know how players will develop. For long time we were thinking Rashford is sure shot #9 but turns out not. I'm just happy he' getting minutes in the front 3 at this point.
  40. Nov 8, 2019 at 00:07

SteveW Full Member

Our only creative midfielder is injured. The others are more of the water carrying variety. We can come in here and throw that at Ole but in reality it's what he inherited. Had Dybala or Eriksson agreed to come things may have been different.

We knew going into the season creativity would be an issue when depending on the likes of Fred, Matic, Pereira, Mata, Lingard etc. There's no magic wand or training drills that will get these guys unlocking defenses. Incremental improvement is about as much as can realistically be expected without signings.

Bournemouth was our 4th away game in 11 days. We've still won 4 out of the last 5 so that has to suggest something is working a bit better at least.