Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Well said.

I've tried not to be overly critical myself but last night was awful and genuinely had me thinking it's time for him to go, but as your post illustrates, he has done a lot of good although I have a feeling he won't be around to see the end results.
I don't think he will be. Maybe he will be remembered as the one start started it and got the club to look at itself a bit better.

I like some of the stuff that I've seen or heard of off of the pitch and I can see some positives on it. But he won't be the one still here in 3 years to see the real benefits of a 25 year old Rashford, older Williams, tuanzebe, greenwood etc.

As I've said before, sacking him doesn't really fix much if its the only thing that happens.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
For most managers a public show of support is basically the kiss of death.

With us I’m not so sure.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This really is my biggest fear. As far as Klopp turning us down, I don't think he knew our state of affairs. Wasn't he offered the Bayern job at one point but turned that down too. I think it is more of a personal preference tbh.
Think Klopp wanted to bring Liverpool back to the top, a project. Ed built us up as some footballing megapower, when actually we were on the wane. If he sold us in the right way he might have come here, but Ed can't help bragging.

ElDiabloRojo

Both Ole and Woodward should be out the door today.

Other clubs fans would be protesting outside the ground or outside the training facilities.

For the transfers and salaries paid at this club its absolutely disgusting how they are playing, injuries are not an excuse.

But them Glazers are still getting their money, still paying the debt to their bankers buddies so it doesn't need to change any time soon.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I realise that this is a futile day for me or anybody else to have an Ole argument, so I won't even bother trying.

I must be fecking nuts, because I still want him in charge of the club. What we are seeing now is the result of years of mismanagement at boardroom level, and that is where any frustration should be directed towards. We were right to let all those players go in the summer. We are correct in changing our transfer strategy. You can't undo that long period of mismanagement in 12 months. Its just not possible.
There's undoing it and there's actively making us worse. We are a much worse side now than we were at any point under Mourinho or LvG. Hell, even Moyes wasn't this bad.

It's like saying you want to rebuild your house but the only tool you have at your disposal is a wrecking ball.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
People wanting Ole sacked aren't wrong in their views that he's not up to the job. But you do know that as soon as he goes and is replaced Woodward is off the hook yet again? Is that waht you want? Maybe we need to keep Ole against our better judgement for a bit longer so the pressure mounts on the club instead. Ole isn't good enough but with these owners and Woodward the rot will continue whoever is in charge in my opinion. Look what it did to LVG n Jose. And even Moyes to an extent.

Would likes of Poch n Allegri want to come here right now given the state of things? It would be incredibly tough job for a 55 yr old Fergie right now. The club is rotten.
Bingo. Ole is probably out of his depth, but the anger should not be directed toward him. If he is sacked and Woodward and the board worms their way out of yet another calamitous reign without having their jobs under threat we wont go anywhere. Did you see Ole during the press conference yesterday, just like Moyes, LvG and Jose he looks like he has aged about 10 years

If it actually turns out that LvG, Jose and Ole were all clueless and say Poch comes in and turns us into league contenders i would be more than happy to eat my own words, but i dont think thats likely.

future2future

Is Ole the man for the role? No, he has much to learn before he can run the show at a top club. But it isn't his fault this season's failing (yet again) Sure, his subbing is strange, and he doesn't seem to have a plan, but this has been going on for the last seven years. No manager has shown long term vision and has managed to get the club out of the shit it is in.

The hard reality is that Man United isn't a top club anymore, at least for now. We can't get the players we want, the organization is shit. You can't expect results on the field if the organization isn't run as a proper football club ie with vision.

How can you expect to get results if you rely on a player who just came from the championship (James)? The defense has shown some signs of improvement this season but is far from finished. Do you think this is the choice of Ole? Of course not, he wants Sancho, Fernandes, Grealish, Koulibaly but the boardroom doesn't give it to him (if they want to come at all). He just isn't gonna say it out loud, job security and squad management wise this wouldn't be wise.

The only way to get top quality players here is to get results, surely Woodward should realize that. So get a couple players (not gonna happen) and then get a new manager, a modern one, no dinosaurs, who has vision. Start negotiating with him during the season so you can announce it when the season ends.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's tragic mate. Luke Shaw subbed on when chasing a game, and a guy without a goal or an assist in the league for a year. Fan-fecking-tastic.
We need to be able to bring on some bloody fire power from the bench. The bench last night was insipid for a team aspiring for CL football.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
There's undoing it and there's actively making us worse. We are a much worse side now than we were at any point under Mourinho or LvG. Hell, even Moyes wasn't this bad.

It's like saying you want to rebuild your house but the only tool you have at your disposal is a wrecking ball.
Going with the wrecking ball analogy, i honestly think thats the right way to go about it. We have the second highest wage bill in the league and a shite, thin squad to show for it. If the club was the house then there is not only mold in every room, there is mold in the load bearing construction as well.

The problem is that we have been given a wrecking ball and no new materials to replace the damaged ones, so the house is damn near ready to collapse over our heads.

Castia

The club is done under Ole and Ed. Nothing else to add it’s just simply that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This will always be the line until we sack him. They're not going to say 'yeah he's a dead man walking, we'll get rid when we find a replacement' are they?
True. But this means that he will not be sacked today. And it is disgrace. After 4 defeats in 20 days. 4!!

TRUERED89

Fekin Saudis. There are other potential owners other than that mob.
Not many rich enough to give those American leeches upto £5Bn. We're actually fecked! Worst MU squad I've seen in the PL era. PS bring back Smalldini! Never seen us so pathetic from set pieces in my life

DBT85

Lets assume for a moment say he's sacked today.

Poch as the most touted candidate is brought in.

With it likely that we could be selling Matic, Pogba, Jones, Lingard, maybe even someone like Shaw, the board are going to have to go and buy 3 or 4 palyers just to bring the squad up to numbers, let alone actually improving the squad. And I can't see Woodward and Judge managing to sign that many contracts in one window.

Whomever is the manager next season is still going to have a thin as feck squad to deal with.

Massive Spanner

Going with the wrecking ball analogy, i honestly think thats the right way to go about it. We have the second highest wage bill in the league and a shite, thin squad to show for it. If the club was the house then there is not only mold in every room, there is mold in the load bearing construction as well.

The problem is that we have been given a wrecking ball and no new materials to replace the damaged ones, so the house is damn near ready to collapse over our heads.
Yeah but in my analogy, Ole is the wrecking ball.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Its hard not to feel upset and emotional after that performance - I get it. Its a bad time to be a Manchester United fan. As I've said before time and again though, one result doesn't change my belief that they are doing what needs to be done to bring this club back to its level. I'm frustrated at the board for the years of poor decision making that have caused us to reach the stage where we need to do such a drastic squad overhaul, but it is what it is. Suck it up and move on. Its only football. You are all desperate for change, and I understand that, but you are all directing your anger at the wrong person.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I hope if Ole is sacked, that cretin Woodward is sacked as well.

4th failed managerial appointment, with a shit squad, high wage bill and hundreds of millions spent and wasted in the transfer market. Cant believe the Glazers are incapable of seeing how much Woodward has actually cost them on the footballing operations side of the business.

Skills

Snitch

With it likely that we could be selling Matic, Pogba, Jones, Lingard, maybe even someone like Shaw, the board are going to have to go and buy 3 or 4 palyers just to bring the squad up to numbers, let alone actually improving the squad. And I can't see Woodward and Judge managing to sign that many contracts in one window.

Whomever is the manager next season is still going to have a thin as feck squad to deal with.
It's why we need a DOF at the same time. An expert at squad management. It might just be that we need to sign a few cheaper players on short term deals to bulk out the squad for a bit (your Matips, Milners, Shaqiri's) while the club uses the bulk of the budget to target high priority positions.

DBT85

It's why we need a DOF at the same time. An expert at squad management. It might just be that we need to sign a few cheaper players on short term deals to bulk out the squad for a bit (your Matips, Milners, Shaqiri's) while the club uses the bulk of the budget to target high priority positions.
Surely we've accepted at this point that that just isn;t going to happen under these owners though? Fromw hat we've heard even when we were looking for one, it was more as a figurehead rather than a proper DOF.

Martialfc

The board need to realise results on the pitch pave the way to future financial success. There needs to be a plan in place, a structure for how united will progress going forward. By the looks of things we don’t have that. We buy players willy nilly for quick fixes instead of planning three or four years down the line.

Look at Liverpool, they have Mbappe bigging them up talking about how they are a machine. God for bid but I personally think he will go there in the future. All because the way they are performing now. They are going to win the league and attract the best players going forward. Whereas we are probably not going to get top four without some miracle and no one will want to come here. Would you come here if you were an in and coming talent ? Pogba wants out. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if we offer sporting the money they want and Bruno turns us down. We are a shambles from top to bottom.

Massive Spanner

Its hard not to feel upset and emotional after that performance - I get it. Its a bad time to be a Manchester United fan. As I've said before time and again though, one result doesn't change my belief that they are doing what needs to be done to bring this club back to its level. I'm frustrated at the board for the years of poor decision making that have caused us to reach the stage where we need to do such a drastic squad overhaul, but it is what it is. Suck it up and move on. Its only football. You are all desperate for change, and I understand that, but you are all directing your anger at the wrong person.
Well first off I've been saying for most of the season that he should be sacked and I said when we hired him permanently that it was a mistake to not wait til the end of this season - so this isn't based off one bad result or emotion. My position on this has been consistent throughout.

Regarding the bolded part, I don't see why this has to be one or the other in some people's eyes. You can think the board and Woodward are inept as well as thinking Ole's the wrong man to manage the club. It's not right to excuse a poor manager simply because those above him aren't doing their job either. Getting a really good manager in would still go a very long way to fixing our issues.

Imagine working alongside a colleague who was useless at their job but because the management were inept too, nothing was being done about him, even though he was actively causing the company turmoil. In what way would that ever be acceptable?

DBT85

I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if we offer sporting the money they want and Bruno turns us down. We are a shambles from top to bottom.
If you think we'd even be asking if we hadn't been told he's interested I don't know what to tell you.

sect2k

feck this shit, I'm out, can't be bothered with this shit anymore, seems the board shares their 1 brain cell with the Ole in crowd. How can this be acceptable at a club like this is beyond comprehension for any thinking person.

future2future

The window's only open for another week, I can't see anyone coming in. So why would someone like Poch come in and have a terrible season because of the squad, he and other managers only will come to the club in the summer and with the guarantee that there will be serious spending. beter yet, that deals have already been made so he can work with the squad from day one.

Seven Seas Sardines

We need to be able to bring on some bloody fire power from the bench. The bench last night was insipid for a team aspiring for CL football.
We still had Gomes and Dalot sitting there who can do a lot more offensively than Lingard and Shaw! :lol:

Furthermore, there was no change in tactics or positions when nothing was working. Martial kept jogging around in the middle while Greenwood was shunted out wide.

Betson

If we are ‘entitled’, the only thing we claim entitlement to is decent management and coaching. Phil Neville is as dim as the day is long anyway, he’s always been a cliche merchant.

We ARE entitled to well planned recruitment and investment in the team, and for the board to make good on their promises, like a director of football or equivalent to oversee the longer term vision and project. It’s what all organisations need and should expect from those making the big bucks out of the venture. Not a lot to ask, really....
The fans have been incredible patient up to now , Mourinho has even commented on that aspect while he was boss. Hard to think of any other club the stature or near the stature of Utd that would not have fans doing mass protests etc after years of failure and massive under achievement on the scale we have seen at Old Trafford. But I think the tipping point is coming very soon.

Alabaster Codify7

All three of this bloke's signings have regressed visibly under his guidance.

How shite was Maguire last night? He looked like a lesser version of Jones. £80m that guy cost us. Apparently, Ole's recruitment was fantastic this summer - well, if that is true, his coaching is disgusting because these fantastic new recruits now all look like mid-table also-rans.

We cannot allow this bloke to oversee this apparent 'rebuild' because this is not a rebuild - under Ole's guidance this is a visible, tragic slide into obscurity.

This guy's idea of reinforcing our midfield in the summer was Sean Longstaff. The same Sean Longstaff that has been ousted by his own younger brother and now cannot buy gametime at NEWCASTLE.

The man is mediocrity personified and his team is a perfect reflection of his attitude and coaching methods.

Ole looked defeated last night. His comments were confused, almost delirious - he was talking without even being present, it seemed. Like autopilot comments, no brain engagement before opening his mouth.

Forget the latest PR briefings. This guy is rightfully a dead man walking - if he makes it to the summer, he's gone anyway. I expect him gone by March - we are on course to be 10th or lower by then.

Get him out.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Interesting points. But keeping the manager in hope that his shit performances will get Ed Woodward sacked seems a bold statement
Not that bold. The fans love Ole. This is one manager where most fans will criticise whats above him. And what's ole done wrong? Would you have turned it down in his position? No chance. It should never have come to him getting the job in the first place. That's where the real issue is. We had to turn to Ole in desperation through years of stupid decisions.

The Bloody-Nine

Not that bold. The fans love Ole. This is one manager where most fans will criticise whats above him. And what's ole done wrong? Would you have turned it down in his position? No chance. It should never have come to him getting the job in the first place. That's where the real issue is. We had to turn to Ole in desperation through years of stupid decisions.
We didn't 'have' to turn to Ole. None of us would have had him in our top 20 choices to succeed Mourinho. Take a bow, Ed.

Judas

Open to offers
He was given the caretaker joke, fine, no one had an issue with that. But we didn't have to make the foolish decision of giving him the job full-time. Everyone outside (and many inside) the Utd bubble laughed at the choice, said it was a disaster waiting to happen.

el3mel

Am I only who took this as a positive? Usually these supporting claims appear before the manager ends up getting the sack. Arsenal board posted an announcement supporting Emery and saying he was the right man before sacking him few weeks later. It's the beginning of the end. Cheers guys! He will be gone in summer I'm sure about that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He was given the caretaker joke, fine, no one had an issue with that. But we didn't have to make the foolish decision of giving him the job full-time. Everyone outside (and many inside) the Utd bubble laughed at the choice, said it was a disaster waiting to happen.
Who gave him that job? Himself?

Deery

Dreary
I keep seeing this comparison to Barcelona but it doesn't make sense. We are in a completely different situation at the moment.
We are only in a different situation because the owners have gotten us here, we are one of the biggest clubs in the world and should be run like it. If the owners change their perspective on things there is absolutely no need that we shouldn’t be run like a Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We didn't 'have' to turn to Ole. None of us would have had him in our top 20 choices to succeed Mourinho. Take a bow, Ed.
Basically answered my point for me. We didn't need to but we did because morale was so low and expectations. The man who has messed up the last 6 years and messed this up too is Ed Woodward.

Status
Not open for further replies.