Ole Gunnar Solskjær press conference: Everton (H)

Dante

Average bang

Solskjaer slams fixture schedule
"No explanation. It is TV.
"No common sense at all, we had same scenario last year when we played in Turkey and then Everton.
"We have to make it happen. It is not like we did it last year so it is going to happen again.
"Us and Chelsea played Wednesday and Liverpool vs Chelsea should have been the Saturday one. Common sense isn't so common."
Dean Henderson playing time
"Both Dean and Tom are ready to play when called upon.
"Dean has had problems but he is past that now and played really well vs West Ham in Carabao Cup.
"David has done very well, he has handled it very well."
Cristiano Ronaldo impact
"He has had a great impact on and off the pitch.
"Five goals in five games at his age says everything. You've got to manage him, he's a very good example for everyone.
"Long may it continue."
Early team news
"No, Luke feels better but he has still got the shoulder injury.
"Marcus trained for first time fully today.
"Harry, Amad still out. We didn't lose anyone on Wednesday."
On Donny van de Beek frustration
"You know, I manage a squad full of international footballers, competitive footballers who want to make a difference, who want to play. They all want to be on the pitch, of course they do.
"Donny was ready to come on, as all players should be. I've been a sub more than anyone in this club probably - I must have a record appearance as a sub - and you have to be ready all the time. I've been not very happy a few times but that is the decision the manager makes.
"Alex was coming off as a left-back and Fred did that job well. So I understand the frustration, of course, every player is keen to play, that's got to be built into energy and determination for when you get on and show me.
"It's not just Donny, it's players, I've got a squad of internationals and if we're going to be successful we need positive energy, no sulkers.
"Donny has never affected his teammates negatively. As soon as I see players affecting the team negatively then that's a different scenario and I'll probably be firmer."
Solskjaer denies report Cristiano Ronaldo wants United to play faster
"That is another one. Wow, what can you answer to that? What we speak about us that is between us, but we haven't had that disucssuion, put it that way."
Vulnerable on the counter-attack
"That is the challenge that we are facing more and more. We have got to be better at.
"We want to be in the position that teams pay us such respect. There are so many things that you've got to do right.
"The ball moves so rapidly up the pitch and it sometimes looks like a handball game! The Aston Villa game had 45 minutes effective playing time which is lowest I've seen of us."
Building on dramatic winner
"We've done that so many times at this club.
"We played against a very good team, dominated possession but were open on the counter-attack.
"The boost, the energy has to be built on. It is a very quick turnaround. The players are not going to get caught out."

tomaldinho1

Pretty standard responses. Bit of a warning there for VdB maybe?
Not sure I agree Villarreal only countered us though, first half in particular they simply bossed the game and played through us.
Onto Everton, fingers crossed it's a nice simple win!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Is 56% dominated possession? Weird of him to mention that Villa playing time again. The rest is just standard pr talk, only thing that matters is the game tomorrow.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Is 56% dominated possession? Weird of him to mention that Villa playing time again. The rest is just standard pr talk, only thing that matters is the game tomorrow.
I think he's making a play for more stoppage time to be added to our games. I guess the next step will be to point at his watch in front of the fourth official. :lol:

RUCK4444

On the Villa game I think he's particularly frustrated by our rushed play/performance in that game and the limited playing time, with the hope to get more stoppage time perhaps. We didn't play well though and didn't handle the Villa press well enough.

Good to see him frustrated though, shows he knows it wasn't good enough and let's see how we get on tomorrow.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pretty standard responses. Bit of a warning there for VdB maybe?
Not sure I agree Villarreal only countered us though, first half in particular they simply bossed the game and played through us.
Onto Everton, fingers crossed it's a nice simple win!
Not sure I agree, they got pretty much all their joy through counter attacks down Dalot’s side. They bossed us in the sense they were never under threat and they were allowing us possession to create those counter attacking opportunities.

Hoof the ball

Weird of Ole to bring up himself being on the bench as if they have similar experiences.

In his first season Ole got nearly 3000 minutes and 2000 in his second.

VdB got just under 1500 minutes last season by comparison and about 141 minutes this season so far.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Can’t compare their situations. Look at the quality of players that kept Ole on the bench, compared to the ones keeping VDB out.

I really don’t like how he says he should come on and show his ability, he needs a run of games and confidence from the manager.

Ixion

I'd get the sub argument if Donny was used that way but he isn't. He's come off the bench once this season, for 5 minutes against Newcastle. You can't tell him to make an impact off the bench if he doesn't get used. He put in a decent shift against West Ham in the Cup and hasn't seen a minute since.

Infra-red

Arguably a bit harder for a midfield player to make the same kind of impact off the bench as a striker.

Our midfield isn't performing well, so you are tempted to say, "how can Donny be any worse".

I suppose he might be awful in training - there's really no way for us to know.

FatTails

Arguably a bit harder for a midfield player to make the same kind of impact off the bench as a striker.

Our midfield isn't performing well, so you are tempted to say, "how can Donny be any worse".

I suppose he might be awful in training - there's really no way for us to know.
The things he’s best at are not the things Ole wants to prioritize in our midfield.

It’s fair enough, Ole is the manager and he will be judged on the results so he’ll play whoever he thinks will give him the best chance of winning in his setup and tactics.

It does make you wonder why we signed the lad to begin with but that’s a whole different question.

lilcurt

I'm really starting to dislike Ole the manager.

What was the crap about we dominated the game in midweek and the caught us on the counter. Completely inaccurate statement.

His comments on Donny are a joke. If the midfield was functioning well nobody would have a problem with Donny on the bench. But the fact is we are terrible in midfield and this guy should be given a run of games so prove what he can or can't do. I'd rather see him given a chance in the starting 11 than any of Fred, Mctominay or Pogba at this point as all three of those have had ample opportunity and can't get anything going consistantly.

Honestly, Ole is so far out of his depth it's a joke.

lilcurt

Can’t compare their situations. Look at the quality of players that kept Ole on the bench, compared to the ones keeping VDB out.

I really don’t like how he says he should come on and show his ability, he needs a run of games and confidence from the manager.
He also actually needs to come on to show his ability. He has only the single appearance of the bench this season and that was for 5 mins against Newcastle.

Ole doesn't tell the truth at all in press conferences and takes the fan base for mugs. I'm done with him.

Infra-red

The things he’s best at are not the things Ole wants to prioritize in our midfield.

It’s fair enough, Ole is the manager and he will be judged on the results so he’ll play whoever he thinks will give him the best chance of winning in his setup and tactics.

It does make you wonder why we signed the lad to begin with but that’s a whole different question.
I've no idea, but my guess is that we thought Pogba was imminently leaving and Donny was meant to be the replacement. As things stand, I'd expect both of them to depart next summer, with two new midfielders (plus a right back) coming in.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I think he's making a play for more stoppage time to be added to our games. I guess the next step will be to point at his watch in front of the fourth official. :lol:
On the Villa game I think he's particularly frustrated by our rushed play/performance in that game and the limited playing time, with the hope to get more stoppage time perhaps. We didn't play well though and didn't handle the Villa press well enough.

Good to see him frustrated though, shows he knows it wasn't good enough and let's see how we get on tomorrow.
Agreed that's his goal but one does wonder how much charisma and intimidation play a role in influencing refs. Ole just seems a bit harmless like Wenger while Klopp ( who influences refs well imo) is more in the Fergie, Mourinho , Conte mold. I think a ref would probably have a much easier time receiving an earful from the former.

Shark

@NotShark
While Ole has made good signings elsewhere on the pitch I genuinely think he's struggling when it comes to his midfield. VDB, Pogba, Mctomminay, Fred and Matic should be a good midfield on paper but he's not getting the best out of it. There's also no guarantee he'll replace VDB with the right player either.

HailtotheKing

I think the point is, he has come on and shown his ability. What more can he do except excel in the games he's given.

rotherham_red

Weird of Ole to bring up himself being on the bench as if they have similar experiences.

VdB got just under 1500 minutes last season by comparison and about 141 minutes this season so far.
Ole was a starter in his first season (unexpectedly so might I add) and the first change option in his second.

It would be more apt to show what his minutes when he had Cole, Sheringham and Yorke to contend with, as that's a more relevant comparison (though not a perfect one)

RUCK4444

While Ole has made good signings elsewhere on the pitch I genuinely think he's struggling when it comes to his midfield. VDB, Pogba, Mctomminay, Fred and Matic should be a good midfield on paper but he's not getting the best out of it. There's also no guarantee he'll replace VDB with the right player either.
Is it really all that good though? Pogba is a world class talent but it’s a proper challenge to get him into this team with the rest of the personnel we have.

In the absence of a top level DM playing Pogba in the pivot is proving difficult, something the club should have been aware of before buying him.

Matic legs have gone so that leaves us with zero actual DM’s in the squad. The rest are a mix of average number 8’s if we are honest.

We have to buy a top DM, we are absolutely crying out for one. Many of us called it ages ago, I’ve been banging on about a DM for what must be two years now.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I've no idea, but my guess is that we thought Pogba was imminently leaving and Donny was meant to be the replacement. As things stand, I'd expect both of them to depart next summer, with two new midfielders (plus a right back) coming in.
Is VDB even a midfielder? I thought he was an attacking/link player and now we seen to have made a less than half arsed effort to turn him into a midfielder because we signed him and Sancho instead of one.

We're never going to find out if he can do the job there anyway as he'll never get more than the odd 70 minutes here and there, usually paired with Matic who all of our midfielders struggle alongside.

devips

Ole is the manager, it is his prerogative to select players

At the end of the day, he will be judged by the performance of the team he has selected.

Donny whiners, do you guarantee not whining in such eventualities?

HailtotheKing

Is VDB even a midfielder? I thought he was an attacking/link player and now we seen to have made a less than half arsed effort to turn him into a midfielder because we signed him and Sancho instead of one.

We're never going to find out if he can do the job there anyway as he'll never get more than the odd 70 minutes here and there, usually paired with Matic who all of our midfielders struggle alongside.
Um, a fit Matic is the one player, no one struggles playing with. He's our only DM. The problem is his legs. But Pogba has done great with Matic as has Donny. Matic is class but we can only play him so often. That's our main problem. I think Donny can be converted into a 6 if needed. He's great against the press, and is quick at passing. Can easily take the ball off defence and progress it forwards. He just needs to have his natural forward instincts curbed a bit. He's also bulked up a bit and has been pretty good in the tackle. WIth both Fred and McTominay playing shit, he deserves his chance. Which he's never getting. He could easily have come on to replace Pogba the other night when Matic was brought on. But instead Ole moves McTominay who was playing shite. Ole is not being fair to the lad, let's call a spade a spade. And he's presently throwing his career down the toilet.

tomaldinho1

Not sure I agree, they got pretty much all their joy through counter attacks down Dalot’s side. They bossed us in the sense they were never under threat and they were allowing us possession to create those counter attacking opportunities.
1st chance, Pogba dispossessed, counter down left.
2nd chance, played through the pitch centrally, not a counter.
3rd chance is a long ball wide, not a counter but direct and terrible from Dalot
4th chance, ball lost high, long ball centrally and Varane feck up, counter.
5th chance, played though the pitch and worked into shooting position on their RW, not a counter
Goal - not a counter, Varane rushes out and they exploit. I can't remember if they won the ball back just before the highlights start but I don't think they did.
6th chance, not a counter, worked down left again and goal mouth bundle

I agree they exploited the shit out of Dalot but it wasn't just them lumping it long and sitting in. FYI the above isn't including additional times they broke through when it wasn't as clear cut like that toe poke finish from their LW. Basically thank the old gods and the new for DDG in that game. Even if you take out all the counters they created more than us - we had Cavani's header, Lingard's shot from Ronnie's shot and the goal as 'good' chances. That's really it.

What matters is we learn from that and we don't see the same again tomorrow.

acnumber9

The big difference being that when he played he did much better than VDB. Earn your minutes.

HailtotheKing

1st chance, Pogba dispossessed, counter down left.
2nd chance, played through the pitch centrally, not a counter.
3rd chance is a long ball wide, not a counter but direct and terrible from Dalot
4th chance, ball lost high, long ball centrally and Varane feck up, counter.
5th chance, played though the pitch and worked into shooting position on their RW, not a counter
Goal - not a counter, Varane rushes out and they exploit. I can't remember if they won the ball back just before the highlights start but I don't think they did.
6th chance, not a counter, worked down left again and goal mouth bundle

I agree they exploited the shit out of Dalot but it wasn't just them lumping it long and sitting in. FYI the above isn't including additional times they broke through when it wasn't as clear cut like that toe poke finish from their LW. Basically thank the old gods and the new for DDG in that game. Even if you take out all the counters they created more than us - we had Cavani's header, Lingard's shot from Ronnie's shot and the goal as 'good' chances. That's really it.

What matters is we learn from that and we don't see the same again tomorrow.
Yeah, learning in this case probably means McFred tomorrow. Which is not the lesson I'd like to hope he'd learned.
Ole appears so simple in his press conferences like he really has no clue. He talks abouthow he could talk for hours about tactics. I'd like to hear him speak a minute.
He says he's not the coach but clearly he must see that the coaching isn't good enough. As Ive said many times, his stubbornness will be the death of him. We can not keep getting lucky. Sooner or later our performances will catch up to us. Ronaldo's lack of pressing and Rashford's return is really going to cause issues. I can't wait to see how he copes with the midfield.

Shark

@NotShark
In the absence of a top level DM playing Pogba in the pivot is proving difficult, something the club should have been aware of before buying him.
We have to buy a top DM, we are absolutely crying out for one. Many of us called it ages ago, I’ve been banging on about a DM for what must be two years now.
Mourinho had bought a near prime Matic when buying Pogba, no? He's played well alongside him on many occasions. Meanwhile Ole's only central midfield signing has been VDB and it's surely on him that we've failed to identify replacing Matic as a key priority in getting Pogba back into central midfield. The problem with Fred and Mctomminay isn't that they're totally shite either they're just not DM's and both would probably thrive as more box to box midfielders in an ideal system.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What other way can you compare? Go on.
Ole was played as a striker and he was judged based on it. Even if he wasn't getting involved , he will be purely judged on goals scored.

Donny had his best season at Ajax as an advanced midfielder. He can play box to box as well. Now tell me how many opportunities did we give him as these two roles ? He had a decent outing against Westham but then what ? So let's stop this nonsense of earning part. Ole as clueless as he is in tactics, is clueless in judging players as well. A waste of 40m, which we could have invested in an actual DM.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I think Cavani should start and use Ronaldo at 70' if needed. Ole said it himself, he has to manager Ronaldo's minutes and this is a good time to start because Cavani is ready.

acnumber9

Ole was played as a striker and he was judged based on it. Even if he wasn't getting involved , he will be purely judged on goals scored.

Donny had his best season at Ajax as an advanced midfielder. He can play box to box as well. Now tell me how many opportunities did we give him as these two roles ? He had a decent outing against Westham but then what ? So let's stop this nonsense of earning part. Ole as clueless as he is in tactics, is clueless in judging players as well. A waste of 40m, which we could have invested in an actual DM.
Player was judged based on doing their job. I’m at a loss as to how the situations differ.

Solskjaer earned minutes by doing his job well. When we had better players than Solskjaer who did their jobs better he played less. That’s how football works. Decent outings against West Ham reserves probably aren’t enough to convince him that he’s capable of doing the job against teams who are better than West Ham reserves. He obviously isn’t doing what the manager wants him to do.

He isn’t going to play as an advanced midfielder because he’s at best our third best player in that position. Lingard can also play that position and has done more to earn an opportunity in that position than Van De Beek has.

tomaldinho1

Yeah, learning in this case probably means McFred tomorrow. Which is not the lesson I'd like to hope he'd learned.
Ole appears so simple in his press conferences like he really has no clue. He talks abouthow he could talk for hours about tactics. I'd like to hear him speak a minute.
He says he's not the coach but clearly he must see that the coaching isn't good enough. As Ive said many times, his stubbornness will be the death of him. We can not keep getting lucky. Sooner or later our performances will catch up to us. Ronaldo's lack of pressing and Rashford's return is really going to cause issues. I can't wait to see how he copes with the midfield.
I don't think you can read too much into pressers to be honest, Ole seems quite a reserved guy and it's mostly just stock answers.

Got a feeling Matic might play, Ole started as looking like he'd trust youth and this job has basically soured him into Mou and I think he's all about big names and experience now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Bruno and Pogba.
DVB should be apoplectic with rage that they get in ahead of him

Shark

@NotShark
Solskjaer earned minutes by doing his job well. When we had better players than Solskjaer who did their jobs better he played less. That’s how football works. He obviously isn’t doing what the manager wants him to do.
What would that be? From what I've watched of VDB he releases the ball to our forwards much more quickly than either of McFred. Something Ronaldo is currently literally crying out for. Ole recently said he loves Mctomminay and Fred because they break up play which is downright depressing to hear from him because he's obviously not concerned with actually improving our football.