Ole is unhappy that we haven't bought a CM

izec

Just silly excuses to buy more time. He doesnt know how to improve anyway, except for buying buying and buying. Improvement comes only with transfers.

Guy is an idiot and imposter.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Most managers can only dream of getting Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo in one transfer window. And that ex academy Goal Keeper whatshisname.

CM

We should've got one but it isn't an excuse for the disjointed displays we're seeing this season. There's no semblance of balance whatsoever.

It probably doesn't help how top heavy the squad is, but that was part of the parcel with signing Ronaldo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
And yet both VDB and Solskjaer have said he can perform as a central midfielder in our team.

Solskjaer: "He [Van de Beek] can play as a 6 with two [double pivot], he can play an 8 as an attacking midfielder, he can play as a 10."

VDB: “It’s really difficult to say because it depends on how you play as a team. I think the way we play for me the best position is as a number 6 or 8.”
So? Bruno can play in midfield and started there. Do you want him playing their rather than up the pitch where he is best at?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
In this case why buy him in the first place when you have Pogba and Bruno who also find it hard to play together and on top of that you extend Mata contract on 160k per week..
Our scouts identified him as a Pogba replacement, Real Madrid went in for him so we moved on him. Hindsight, we probably shouldn't have got him, but lets see what he can do when Pogba leaves in the Summer (let's be honest, no chance he's staying, right?). That opens the door up for DvB in the squad and means we can focus our attention elswhere, i.e. buying a fecking midfield.

If we look at that whole window it was a bit shite. It was a medium/long term investments all because we didnt land Sancho when we wanted too. If we had signed Sancho that Summer then the money we paid for Sancho this Summer would have gone into a midfielder. Still, Diallo, DvB and Pellestri all might end up being decent purchases in another year or so.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It seems that Varane, Sancho, Ronaldo and Heaton weren't enough for him and he needed to get more players in. We're really setting the guy to fail.
This is load of bullshit. He should have prioritized DMF over Sancho in this window. Plus why did he buy DvB in last window if DvB wasn't the midfielder he needed?

And most importantly, if he cannot buy, you try to promote somebody from academy. That is what Liverpool did number of times when they couldn't buy who they needed.

How come we don't have at least couple of DMFs in the academy that can be better than Fred and McT who are clearly pathetic at it?

Besides, our only problem is not a lack of DMF. Even world class DMF won't fix our defense. We need one but our problems are much deeper. We are horribly coached team that doesn't know how to defend as a team and how to behave out of posession. We are not compact in defense, our positional awareness sucks

Levenstein

Starting to make excuses. He had a lot of time to buy a midfielder.
Instead he keeps playing players out of position: Fred, Sancho, Pogba

I dont think that we start playing much better even with a good DM. Solskjaer is just tactically very poor.

I wish he finds his balls soon and at least plays like when he started coaching Manchester United. Or resigns. I don’t want to see that shit anymore.

0le

Starting to make excuses. He had a lot of time to buy a midfielder.
Instead he keeps playing players out of position: Fred, Sancho, Pogba

I wish he finds his balls soon and plays like when he started coaching Manchester United. Or resigns. I don’t want to see that shit anymore.
Ole has never played Fred or Sancho out of position.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Seems like an intentional leak from his camp, I guess he knows he's under the cosh and his is his potential way out. It's a glaring hole in our squad so a good scapegoat to use. Problem is he's spent over £300m including on a central midfielder so it's hard to sympathise.

soapythecat

He’s thrown money at all areas of this squad, over numerous windows, and he’s still dripping about not having the right players!

Imagine if he had to operate on a budget and utilise the squad he has….like a decent manager does.

woefully inadequate management from a poor, poor manager

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
So? Bruno can play in midfield and started there. Do you want him playing their rather than up the pitch where he is best at?
Wherever he is most effective. Bruno is more of a playmaker so sometimes depending on the opposition having him a little deeper would be beneficial.

Wheato

We can't really put this down to one position. Teams are easily playing through us because there is no pressure on the ball. No closing down or forcing mistakes. 3 passes and they are clean through on our goal. It is too easy.

Bruno is playing as a second striker, this is leaving huge gaps in midfield, and even with the best CDM in the world, he isn't going to mark 3 players at the same time. Pogba isn't disciplined enough to play in a holding role, he always want to go forward, like Bruno. Their is no discipline in the front five at all. Greenwood only wants to shot and not create opportunities for Ronaldo. Ronaldo will not track back or close down. Sancho is in the wrong position, but isn't supporting Shaw, so Shaw isn't driving forward because he is feeling exposed in defence.

Every single one of our attacking and midfielder players needs to be sat down and explained what their roles are, what the expectations are, what passages of play that they need to work on, what they are currently doing wrong. This clearly isn't happening because they are still making the same mistakes every week.

Yes, our defence has also been off it this season, but they are being asked to do so much more than they should, due to many of our forward players being selfish and not doing the basics.

Levenstein

Ole has never played Fred or Sancho out of position.
Sancho is better on right wing. Fred is not a defensive midfielder.

I would play Rasford on the left and Sancho on the right. I think Sancho is much more natural wide player than Greenwood is. We havent had RW for a long time, lets use it. He dribbles, he gets past players and hopefully is a service for Ronaldo.

I would rotate Greenwood up top with Ronaldo or with Sancho.

When we play with two forwards I would use Greenwood with either Ronaldo or Cavani.

Last edited:

Stacks

He knew how stingy the Glazers are in the transfer market when he agreed to become manager. Can’t turned round and be shocked he hasn’t been backed financially now.
Very very stingy. In his time here, he outspent every other manager in transfer fees, net transfer fees and the club has the highest wage bill in the sports.
That's falsehood.
No manager in the league has been backed as much as Ole since he took over the reigns.
I think it was satire.
I said earlier on another thread - without a system and well thoughout plan, we are caught into a vicious cycle of always finding at least one position short to compete at highest level.
yeah :( that happens when you are solely reliant on the individual talents of your players to play a game of football.
Pretty much everyone on here says our midfield is shit. So strange that people criticise Ole for feeling midfield needed to be strengthened.
Its more that he has had multiple windows and lots of money to address this including signing a 40mill midfielder who he doesn't play, spending 30m on Amad + Pellestri who aren't even training with us and signed Sancho for 70+ mill, in an area where we are stacked, when he doesn't even know how to use him. I don't ACTUALLY believe Ole even said this.

Counterfactual

We can't really put this down to one position. Teams are easily playing through us because there is no pressure on the ball. No closing down or forcing mistakes. 3 passes and they are clean through on our goal. It is too easy.

Bruno is playing as a second striker, this is leaving huge gaps in midfield, and even with the best CDM in the world, he isn't going to mark 3 players at the same time. Pogba isn't disciplined enough to play in a holding role, he always want to go forward, like Bruno. Their is no discipline in the front five at all. Greenwood only wants to shot and not create opportunities for Ronaldo. Ronaldo will not track back or close down. Sancho is in the wrong position, but isn't supporting Shaw, so Shaw isn't driving forward because he is feeling exposed in defence.

Every single one of our attacking and midfielder players needs to be sat down and explained what their roles are, what the expectations are, what passages of play that they need to work on, what they are currently doing wrong. This clearly isn't happening because they are still making the same mistakes every week.

Yes, our defence has also been off it this season, but they are being asked to do so much more than they should, due to many of our forward players being selfish and not doing the basics.
Good post. Having a "front five" mentality is killing us.

Bebestation

Wherever he is most effective. Bruno is more of a playmaker so sometimes depending on the opposition having him a little deeper would be beneficial.
That's only since Ronaldo came. We were relying heavily on his goals to the point he was our main goal scorer last year.

Do you remember that?

This is actually why I think Ole bought Donny, as a Cover for Bruno because both Lingard and Pogba were going/gone.

tomaldinho1

This is not an excuse for Ole because I cba with that anymore but VDB is not a bloody midfielder :lol: he is a raumdeuter (however you spell that).

He is an attacking midfielder who is a goalscorer like Thomas Muller. Just because he can play as a CM doesn't mean he is good at it or it is his best position. Muller has also played in midfield but he plays better further up the pitch.

Ole has bought two attacking midfielders. All the deeper midfielders are Mourinho players.
This is the issue with FM becoming mainstream, VdB is nothing like Mueller. Someone just sees a player who can exploit space, understands how to sit between lines, isn't fast and wants to label them. No doubt someone will be claiming he's a Segundo Volante or an Engache next.

Get some of the resident Ajax guys to pipe in here but my understanding was he's played CM in a pivot, usually, with a more defensively minded player (Martinez, De Jong or even Blind sometimes) so he's a 6, 8 or a 10 where he also spent time and was excellent. He literally plays the role United want a CM in.

Berbaclass

That's only since Ronaldo came. We were relying heavily on his goals to the point he was our main goal scorer last year.

Do you remember that?

This is actually why I think Ole bought Donny, as a Cover for Bruno because both Lingard and Pogba were going/gone.
Different players

MattofManchester

Is this the excuse now? Leicester were missing 3 notably key players in that match and smashed us 4-2.

Always an excuse.needs another billion or 2 maybe to continue being top 4.

Bebestation

Different players
Ofcourse but he does go for different players. Sancho vs Greenwood. Wan Bissaka vs Trippier. Telles vs Shaw to help Shaw improve. De Gea vs Henderson.

Both play the same position. Bruno has played as a support striker CAM for us. VDB can play that role for us as a raumdeuter.

hobbers

Pretty much everyone on here says our midfield is shit. So strange that people criticise Ole for feeling midfield needed to be strengthened.
Because he didn't feel it needed to be strengthened enough to actually do it. He's grasping at fecking straws leaking this sort of tripe, it's pathetic.

Keeping VdB and Martial and Lingard and Mata around to prop up the subs bench was more important to Ole than scouring Europe for a good midfielder to sign. And there's no shortage of promising midfielders out there.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's 100% correct in identifying the need for a midfielder, but he's years too late and he's had opportunities over 5 transfer windows to address it. He's gone on record to say we're a fantastically well run club and that he's been backed. Now this is filtering through when he's lost most of the support and the board won't like it one bit.

Either he's not spotted this years ago or he's been toeing the line. The next manager needs to be his own man.

Berbaclass

Ofcourse but he does go for different players. Sancho vs Greenwood. Wan Bissaka vs Trippier. Telles vs Shaw to help Shaw improve. De Gea vs Henderson.

Both play the same position. Bruno has played as a support striker CAM for us. VDB can play that role for us as a raumdeuter.
Bruno is more of a playmaker though like I said. You talk about his goalscoring but probably half of them have been penalties/freekinck or from long range?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Understand it 100%. CM is a key area and we are paper thin there. None of our current options are top quality there and none of them are good at defending. Question is why it wasn´t a priority in the summer?
Yep. A CM should have been ahead of Sancho and a CB. Someone dropped the ball and thought if we just get big names like Sancho, Varane and later Ronaldo all will be good. Ole should have been screaming all summer so he needs to take some blame.

RonaldoVII

Sancho is better on right wing. Fred is not a defensive midfielder.

I would play Rasford on the left and Sancho on the right. I think Sancho is much more natural wide player than Greenwood is. We havent had RW for a long time, lets use it. He dribbles, he gets past players and hopefully is a service for Ronaldo.

I would rotate Greenwood up top with Ronaldo or with Sancho.

When we play with two forwards I would use Greenwood with either Ronaldo or Cavani.
Neither of those statements are true. Sancho can play on the right but you can't say he's better there. He was arguably better on the left for Dortmund and Fred can't play the 8 position as his passing isn't good enough. We see how poor he is there when partnered with Matic.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think we're all in agreement that a new manager will be required to take the club forward but four pages and counting on a nothing story... :lol:

Bebestation

This is the issue with FM becoming mainstream, VdB is nothing like Mueller. Someone just sees a player who can exploit space, understands how to sit between lines, isn't fast and wants to label them. No doubt someone will be claiming he's a Segundo Volante or an Engache next.

Get some of the resident Ajax guys to pipe in here but my understanding was he's played CM in a pivot, usually, with a more defensively minded player (Martinez, De Jong or even Blind sometimes) so he's a 6, 8 or a 10 where he also spent time and was excellent. He literally plays the role United want a CM in.
Right. You do know the hyped up version of VDB was once he started moving up the pitch? He wasn't that good when he was playing that deep for ajax. Literally his goals in the CL shows what a raumdeuter is and your sitting their talking about football manager.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We might have left it late but Ronaldo was Ole's signing. Even if we didn't sign Ronaldo we had enough players on the flanks with or without Sancho. We should have prioritized on a DM instead. Its also silly that we needed to spend 120m on 2 CB just because after spending 80m on Maguire we suddenly fount out that our CBs are far too slow.
We clearly needed better CB's and quality CB's are not cheap. Maguire was over priced, everyone knew that but he was an upgrade on what we had and has done well with the exception of a few small dodgy spells. How much would you want to spend on two CB's? 40m? 60m? 80m? 100m? Who would they be? Our defensive recruitment has been brilliant, the lack of clean sheets is due to the midfield protection and coaching. Personally we struggle with the very basics at times, so to me the issue is clearly coaching and bringing in new coaches will make our defense much better.

We didn't have enough players on the flank at all. You literally named 3 kids an 1 player the entire forum complained about for years. Our wide senior options are: Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Pogba, Lingard

Martials been shite for almost 14months now, Lingard was deemed shit and struggled here, the other three are decent options but you can't have three for the entire season. Sancho is a great option to bring in. Why are we even debating this? It's clear we needed more goals/creativity from wide and we've sorted that with Sancho.

Recruitment under Ole has been excellent, James who was deemed a bad signing was even sold for a profit. DvB is the only other signing I would question right now. I will say that we should have brought in a proper DM last Summer and if that meant missing out on Pellestri/DvB/Diallo then we really should have just done that. It's not an excuse for Ole though, we have the players in the squad to be doing much better and our defensive organisation in particular this season has been abysmal.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
He knew how stingy the Glazers are in the transfer market when he agreed to become manager. Can’t turned round and be shocked he hasn’t been backed financially now.
They haven't been that stingy. The club prioritized very poorly and Ole should take some of the blame.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean obviously we are weak in midfield. But he's obviously deflecting blame as well. Nobody has a perfect squad and a perfect transfer window every summer. We signed multiple world class players in positions of need, yet we have gone backwards as Ole can't adjust to heightened expectations.

Bebestation

Bruno is more of a playmaker though like I said. You talk about his goalscoring but probably half of them have been penalties/freekinck or from long range?
I don't know about that but what VDB is does that he finds free space and scores.

We saw this vs Crystal Palace on his debut when he played exactly like that. Ever since that he has playing deeper and deeper and not scoring a single goal.