• No - Give him more time

Votes: 449 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
24 hours later my stance has softened. My thinking is that if we win against City, Liverpool and Atalanta, things are quickly forgotten. But we really, really need to sort ourselves out and fast. A lot of people said on this forum that October and November were huge months for Ole. That still stands, if we've lost all three of those (very possible) then maybe there won't be any other choice.
Agreed, IF we somehow went on a mental winning run from here until Christmas he might win some hearts back and we might see this as a blip or just the squad having some teething issues, but i honestly dont see that happening.

We've had these patches of bad form before, but this one feels different. From the players body language and to Oles nonsensical interview and demenour on the bench he looks like a doomed man imo. It very reminiscent of Joses last season (minus the meltdowns) and i honestly dont see a way out of this

To me it looks like hes lost the dressing room, in which case the club needs to sort it out NOW, because if they dont we will end up with yet another Jose situation where the next manager have to take over a squabbling squad with no morale

Acquire Me

Awful form but far from a lost cause so I'm still backing the manager

Ole has some big decisions to make and he has to make them now

He gets until December to turn it around
Nothing would be better than him turning things around. At this point I just can’t see it. I hope I will be proven wrong.

GazTheLegend

Mate, we can't beat Southampton. You're talking as if we have a manager of the experience and pedigree of Klopp or Pep at helm instead of a manager that even if he was to win all three of those games he'll still ultimately come up way short as a United manager. I genuinely can't believe there's fans still not accepting this reality.
If we beat Atalanta City and Liverpool it's all forgiven. Our league position isn't untenable and we'd be in a strong position in the CL. I am well aware this is an EXTREMELY big if - we've been shit. But there's no hiding at Man Utd, I'm sure Solskjaer and all his players are well aware of that.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don’t think he is tactically out of his depth. He’s managed to get terrific results against footballs tactical darlings.

At the time Ole was the correct decision to have as permanent manager and he’s been a great culture builder and squad builder. We are currently left with our CM options being the last bit of Mourinho football left and surprise surprise that’s where we’re at our weakest.

I think this is where a director of football has to come into play. Ole will not in my view have made decisions about who to bring in just for his own skin. Unlike Mourinho. I guess I trust Ole enough to make the right decisions for the club before himself.

I completely disagree with your last statement and I think you’re again going hyperbolic. If your stance was I don’t think he’s going to win us the league and so he’s not good enough and eventually needs replacing I’d find agreement with you.
He got results against teams that came to play against us and attempt to control the game. He got them by sitting back and hitting them on counter. Hardly a masterclass and the difference between the minions that attempt the same tactics is that at United you have the players to make a difference.

Every other PL manager during the same time had very good runs not having a the third of the budget United has. Take Nuno Espírito Santo who had spells and results pretty comparable to Ole managing Wolves.

there is a reason why Ole sucked at later stages of cups and finals - when he faces a team that is remotely on level that can punish his tactical deficiencies-usually they did.

DoF is a terrible idea and always has been. He didn’t get the job on merit and wouldn’t get that one on merit too. Our transfer activity is exactly the same as under previous managers - all over the shop, missing glaring holes in our team to invest somewhere else, overpaying for many players and our wage structure is over the roof.

so no - apart from giving positive vibes and being Glazers PR face not really much has changed ever since he took over.

the squad is undoubtedly better, but that is correlated with a lot bigger investment then any other previous manager.

Shark

@NotShark
If we beat Atalanta City and Liverpool it's all forgiven. Our league position isn't untenable and we'd be in a strong position in the CL. I am well aware this is an EXTREMELY big if - we've been shit. But there's no hiding at Man Utd, I'm sure Solskjaer and all his players are well aware of that.
It still wouldn't convince me that in the long haul he's anywhere close to being good enough. He's pulled off results against elite clubs before. We've some excellent players that could pull that off despite the manager.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ten Hag? I am know next to feck all about him. I'm off to watch Tifo football - the Athletic.
No. Zidane, mate.

Edit: If you put forward Ten Haags name, then I’d need to join you in watching some YouTube tactical analysis— I don’t know much about him.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
It still wouldn't convince me that in the long haul he's anywhere close to being good enough. He's pulled off results against elite clubs before. We've some excellent players that could pull that off despite the manager.
Agree. Atalanta are crap anyway. Anything other than a win comparing our squads would be embarrassing. Counter attacking Liverpool and City to get wins wouldn’t mean anything either. He isn’t anywhere near good enough, its so obvious, more excuses and keep on giving him a bit more time should stop.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Enrique ain't leaving Spain
Mancini has the ex City connections so is a no go
Rodgers has the ex Liverpool connection so is a no go
Potter? What has he done that suggests he could manager one of the biggest clubs in the world? Just because he has a regular regelation threatened side playing good football by no means equals with better players he could challenge

I dont know enough about the others to comment (hasn't Rose just taken a job?)
Rose just took over at Dortmund iirc.

red4ever 79

24 hours later my stance has softened. My thinking is that if we win against City, Liverpool and Atalanta, things are quickly forgotten. But we really, really need to sort ourselves out and fast. A lot of people said on this forum that October and November were huge months for Ole. That still stands, if we've lost all three of those (very possible) then maybe there won't be any other choice.
Some optimisim there

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
If a manager just doesn't feel right after 3 years, he's probably not the right managers. We look at the managers of our biggest rivals and then look at ours.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think we beat Liverpool and City. When the chips are down, Ole has a habit of coming back from the dead.
That was before it looks he lost the players. I can’t see him generating a reaction from this lot. Players are seeing how Ronaldo is reacting to this defeats and I think he knows Ole isn’t the man to guide him or the team to a trophy.

Enigma_87

You know who
Enrique ain't leaving Spain
Mancini has the ex City connections so is a no go
Rodgers has the ex Liverpool connection so is a no go
Potter? What has he done that suggests he could manager one of the biggest clubs in the world? Just because he has a regular regelation threatened side playing good football by no means equals with better players he could challenge

I dont know enough about the others to comment (hasn't Rose just taken a job?)
You say Potter has done nothing to suggest he can manage United? What has Ole done prior to getting the job to deserve it?

GazTheLegend

It's not as easy as you think. But football fans are fickle, and remember your last 3 results and that's pretty much it. See:Arsenal fans right now.

croadyman

I have to respect you having the guts to post when most of his biggest supporters on here have finally seen the light

Robbie Boy

I posted this on 03 September, and some of it reads like a prophecy regarding the DM excuses.

Some good points here. I suppose though, it is worth adding that we've had some horrible runs under him, and he's obviously made mistakes. Putting the OTT hyperbole aside - that he's either done a shit job or a great one - I would say he's done a good job, no more, no less. He has done brilliantly in some areas and less so in others. What I do like about him, is that, he seems to be constantly learning and adapting to managing such a mammoth of a club. Considering who he managed before us, that's totally understandable.

I couldn't agree more with your second paragraph. I hold my hands up to being someone who took time to appreciate the job he had on his hands, with the squad that he inherited. It really was a mismatch from three different managerial eras. I'm mostly very pleased with his transfers, and I'm loving that he seems really invested with our youth signings too. This summer was just amazing, it really was. Signing Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo was different level stuff. Obviously plenty have concerns with the DM area, but if Ole neglected it for other areas, that's his decision. The truth is, he's been backed now and there will be big pressure to deliver this season. Any excuses - even the ones dressed up as fair concerns - won't fly anymore. The thing is, Ole is extremely diligent and he will know the stakes have obviously risen after our summer business.

I'm not overly fussed by Martial. I think Ole was more than willing to let him go this summer, and he'll likely only feature when needs must. It's a credit to Ole that he gives nothing away to the media regarding our players futures. Away from watchful eyes, I'm pretty sure he has let the likes of Martial and Lingard know that they are surplus to requirements. It's odd that people criticise him for saying positive things about perceived 'deadwood players' in the media. I mean, it's obviously a facade and infinitely better than Jose's toxic nonsense.

I'm also absolutely buzzing for the season ahead, and the signing of Ronaldo has added extra excitement! I honestly think we have the squad to challenge this season. However, he's here 3.5 years at the end of the season and anything less than a good title challenge (within 7 to 8 points of the leaders), and a QF CL run, with an honourable exit, isn't good enough imo. Of course there are plenty of variables to both scenarios which have to be anslysed on an ongoing basis. If we finish a distant 4th,for example, and get humiliated in the CL, then he has to go.

Giving him another summer to sign a DM, who would close a huge gap, isn't reality. I have no issue if we finish 8 points off the top, and people claim that signing a top DM would get us closer to the title, as that's logical. However, if we're 15 odd points off, a DM isn't going to suddenly have us in contention. That's when we have to really question the coaching. All in all though, I feel super positive that we'll meet most people's targets. The targets most rational posters have set, are are on par with the length of his tenure and money spent. Obviously the agenda posters will set the bar too high, or too low, depending on their stance. A domestic cup isn't an outright requirement obviously, but it would be nice to get that first trophy. I really wish we had of won the EL, just purely as a platform to build upon.

Bobcat

I posted this on 03 September, and some of it reads like a prophecy regarding the DM excuses.
Tbf, i dont see anyone excusing him, more pointing out that DM is a gaping hole that should have been filled and Ole is responsible for missing that.

McFred when in form are decent, the problem is that both of them have been in absymal form so far this season

Robbie Boy

Tbf, i dont see anyone excusing him, more pointing out that DM is a gaping hole that should have been filled and Ole is responsible for missing that.

McFred when in form are decent, the problem is that both of them have been in absymal form so far this season
Nah, there is one particular poster in here who that's aimed at. Our problems run far deeper than a DM.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Nah, there is one particular poster in here who that's aimed at. Our problems run far deeper than a DM.
Our problems aren't the makeup of the squad, its the utilization of the squad and that points to the manager not knowing how to get the best of a very very good squad of players.

Robbie Boy

Our problems aren't the makeup of the squad, its the utilization of the squad and that points to the manager not knowing how to get the best of a very very good squad of players.
Spot on. Of course DM is a weakness - no one ls denying that - but it's abundantly clear our problems run far deeper. The DM situation is a convenient excuse, which leaves out a whole load of context.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Right, so Ole has made significant progress every year in terms of both quality of squad and performance. I was expecting not to have this current dip in form with the current squad, so this has probably been the most disappointing spell for him so far. That being said I think it’s mental that 90% of people on here want him sacked already. We’re in horrible form, but it’s not permanent. Way too early to give him the sack, he can still turn it around. He’s earned a bit of time to do that.

Sacking him means starting from scratch again. Even though we’ve got the best squad quality since Fergie we need to prepare for a new manager to take time to make the squad his own. I’m fed up with the constand chopping and changing of managers in the past 8 years. We’re not getting anywhere with this.

wise_old_man

Our season will be a lost cause if we leave the rot as late as December. It's still October right now. We can still secure top 4 if we act soon enough.

hobbers

The obvious time to sack Ole would be during the next international break before the Watford game.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The priority should be Atalanta, nothing but a win is acceptable and we can't be in danger of failing to qualify for the knockouts. As we could very easily still do a Chelsea and win the CL with a different Manager in charge. Can he turn it around? Sure, we're playing all of our rivals in the coming weeks but it's going to require a swift turnaround in fortunes to be able to do it. He's done it before, but this is an even bigger challenge I feel.

I think my perspective is as follows.

I've backed Ole to the hilt for the last two seasons and feel like the job he's done to this point has been very good. However, he's at the final stage of the rebuild and it's time to step up and deliver. We are far from delivering anything right now, heck, a clean sheet would be a fecking start. I think the issue is much bigger than just "sack Ole, problem solved". I'd argue that the consistent problem through two Managers now has been Carrick/McKenna and at no point have we looked like a team that has been coached well with a clear understanding of what the players are meant to be doing. The PR coming out of United has them painted up as Europes finest, yet they consistently fail to show that when it matters. You could argue that their vision hasn't matched up with Ole and Joses', but surely the fundemental basics should be coached into the players and yet we fail at that on a consistent basis.

Whatever does happen in the near future, I feel like once the dust settles and people have calmed down we will appreciate the work Ole has done rebuilding the team into something that can truly challenge for the top honours. He couldn't take us that final step but he's left the Club in a significantly better position than all of his predecessors. I think the club will stick with Ole through this difficult run of fixtures and then make a decision come December. That gives the new Manager a much easier run of fixtures to get started with, despite it being part of the crazy winter period.

largelyworried

Right, so Ole has made significant progress every year in terms of both quality of squad and performance. I was expecting not to have this current dip in form with the current squad, so this has probably been the most disappointing spell for him so far. That being said I think it’s mental that 90% of people on here want him sacked already. We’re in horrible form, but it’s not permanent. Way too early to give him the sack, he can still turn it around. He’s earned a bit of time to do that.

Sacking him means starting from scratch again. Even though we’ve got the best squad quality since Fergie we need to prepare for a new manager to take time to make the squad his own. I’m fed up with the constand chopping and changing of managers in the past 8 years. We’re not getting anywhere with this.
Replacing him may mean one step backwards but if we then take two step forwards, we’re better off. The worry about Ole is that this is his ceiling, which means no matter how long we give him, this is it.

BorisManUtd

The obvious time to sack Ole would be during the next international break before the Watford game.
Well we could be far from top of the table by then and behind both Villarreal and Atalanta in UCL. Worrying times :nervous:

Macern

Pee pee pants
Replacing him may mean one step backwards but if we then take two step forwards, we’re better off. The worry about Ole is that this is his ceiling, which means no matter how long we give him, this is it.
I don’t really understand why this would be his ceiling. It makes little sense all the talk about him being tactically inept. As a player he was known for his ability to analyze the game. Maybe he needs to look at his coaching staff and bring in someone, but I’m not really concerned about this being his ceiling.

Anyway, unless the players want him out then this is not the time to sack him. He’s been good in the games against the top sides so we might go and surprise everyone by getting a few wins in the next games.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lets not forget he was under pressure last year too, got close to a sack but went on a good run and it was all ok. Here we are again, in trouble and given yet another chance to turn it around even though he has shown nothing that tells us he's a top manager.

If he somehow turns this around, we will be back here again, either this year or next year. It's clear to everyone he's not good enough, but the board doesn't see it.

M Bison

Supports
York City
The journalists have turned on Ole, but Neville will be throwing a few players under the bus on MNF. He already hinted at it yesterday.
and a few players do need calling out so he’d be right to do so, but Neville has already said Ole needs to deliver a trophy this year following the investment.

The narrative has changed across the piece, including Nev.

Bobcat

I've been backing him for a long time and i read somewhere that his league form so far (143 games, 1,82 PPG) is exactly the same record as Klopp had. The difference, besides the obvious disrepancy in their CV's is that by Klopps 3rd season they looked like a well oiled machine, where as we look as bad as we have ever done under Ole

I've been in the "give him time" camp all the time, because as you said hes shown gradual imrpovement and i geuninely think hes assembled a very good squad. The problem is that hes not translating that to results or even good football. We have a wealth of attacking talent and hes been able to spend 200 million on defenders, yet we struggle to create and leak like a sieve

The big issue for me is that it seems like the players have downed tools. Its not bad luck or the fact that we have been outplayed by better teams, we have stopped trying and thats curtains for any manager

Hopefully he resigns before this gets nasty

croadyman

The two biggest fears I have right now is it will happen when every decent option is off the table and also that this talented looking squad is going to completely get wasted under this management and coaching staff

Flytan

I don’t really understand why this would be his ceiling. It makes little sense all the talk about him being tactically inept. As a player he was known for his ability to analyze the game. Maybe he needs to look at his coaching staff and bring in someone, but I’m not really concerned about this being his ceiling.

Anyway, unless the players want him out then this is not the time to sack him. He’s been good in the games against the top sides so we might go and surprise everyone by getting a few wins in the next games.
Why do people keep parroting this fake lie that we are good against top teams? The top 6 mini table had us in 5th last year or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.