Votes: 449 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Like most of the fans I absolutely adore Ole the player, the legend and also appreciate his part in steadying the ship after Mourinho. But right now he is just being stubborn and our owners are assholes who will not care about the on-pitch disasters unless things get ugly. Of course there is a line which should not be crossed and I hope fans don't get personal with insults, but social media reaction is one thing Glazers keep eye on and message should be loud and clear there that fans almost unanimously want him gone.

I don't know how big the protest on Saturday will be, if at all there is one and if it will be covered by media but we can't let things go on like they are and assume that decision makers at club will act rational like other clubs and sack him. All sorts of pressure on them from all avenues possible is what is needed if top 4 is to be salvaged this season. Ole or coaching staff getting insulted a bit here and there as part of it is frankly not something which matters when club's immediate future is at stake.
I agree whole heartedly about the owners, it’s quite clear they don’t give a fig about the on pitch issues - but I’d take issue with the bit about Ole being stubborn. Maybe he genuinely believes he can turn this around? Maybe he thinks he is acting in the best interests of the club in keeping stability and continuity. We don’t know because he is a private guy and keeps the media at arms length with cliches and platitudes. He certainly isn’t a quitter, and he isn’t going to give up. If he is to move on then it I’ll have to come from the club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Am i wrong? Scroll through older posts. How many here said that he will leave by himself? How many said that he is great man manager?
And i don't mean that "exposed" in a bad way. Just that lots of opinions about him were and are completely wrong.
How does it expose him as a person? If anything it expose his inability to manage the team.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Neville is taking a moral high-ground position.

I suspect that privately he would admit that a change is probably needed. He just won't do so publically. At the end of the day, what does it matter? He isn't the one making the decisions at the club. if you honestly think those in charge would suddenly say "ooh Nev want's him gone? Hes's toast then - cancel my 10am"
It matters because whether we like it or not in sport decision makers are influenced by optics and how their clients react to events be it sponsors or fans. Sky Sports are arguably the largest platform in the game, they shape part of the narrative and how people feel about certain things, Neville plays an important role in how narratives are shaped on Sky which has an influence on consumers actions and reactions. And before someone try to make that point, no Neville isn't the only one and no Neville isn't the one taking the ultimate decision, he is just a dishonest cog in the media's machinery.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Have the other coaches gone away or just Solskjaer on his Oleday?
If they have any sense, they’re currently parked up in the analysis room or somewhere similarly visible at Carrington and not associating themselves with this preposterous ‘holiday’ charade.

I am still genuinely shellshocked Solskjaer has made this decision of his own volition. And if somebody else suggested it to him, that person should be fired by cannon straight into the Irwell and Solskjaer immediately afterwards for listening to them.

Astonishing stuff.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’d have to agree, as much as it pains me when it’s this guy. Thinking the manager is not the right person is one thing, Wanting the manager gone is another but to get personal, to name call and to show a total lack of respect is just classless. It’s the fans making this situation toxic, Ole is just doing his job until it isn’t his job anymore.,
I agree. Someone asked the other day if United are making people depressed?
for me it’s the totally toxic stuff that fans post on social media that makes me depressed

El Zoido

Which is just absolute nonsense considering he hires and sacks managers for Salford. Bizarre.
Well there’s a dissonance between the two. A public statement, and the way he operates his own businesses.

He’s clearly got something in his head about not wanting to publicly say a manager should lose his job. Perhaps something to do with his failure at Valencia? It is what it is, not sure why so many people need to hear him call for Ole’s head. I couldn’t care less what he thinks.

HarryP

Logic still dictates that he goes.

I don't think there's any serious football person that can sincerely argue for him remaining in post. Even Rio, one of his biggest supporters and former teammate, thinks he should go.

As much as the Glazers and Woodward are (deservedly) derided on here, they're not completely thick. They know Ole isn't going to succeed and that we need a new manager. The *only* thing that could possibly be holding this situation up is their complete cluelessness of who to replace him with. They probably don't want to just appoint anyone with a decent CV, they will want to think hard about it and want a new manager to be compatible with Fletcher/Murtough and the existing squad of players etc. I'm not necessarily wholeheartedly endorsing their approach, just setting out what I think is happening behind the scenes.

If you're an executive making these decisions, you are weighing up a number of factors. They probably want to identify a replacement and line him up for the job before sacking Ole. Because I reckon otherwise they fear being in a period of limbo where they are scrambling around for a new manager (like Tottenham last season/Summer). That type of limbo brings *a lot * of heat on executives and they really want to avoid that at all costs.

Tldr; They won't sack Ole until they have identified an attainable replacement.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
so 'sticking with your beliefs' automatically disqualifies you from being a wanker? Need you to tell me what exactly the beliefs are as well.

If you think that someone saying to the most influential voice on United outside the club about the 'throwing in the towel' on something that has become this big and this humiliating is really that unpleasant and deserves to be met with a patronising response then we are really going to have to mind our p's and q's to get any kind of change aren't we.

Neville from what I've seen hasn't even acknowledged that the calls from fans for a change of manager are objectively fair and legitimate without even getting into any personal ties he has.
Not bowing to someones insistence you say something that will gratify a number of people who in turn will get a great amound of schedenfreude out of hearing you say said thing is more than a little understandable.

In the end, Gary Neville is not a journalist, he's a pundit who can have any opinion he wants. Graeme Souness is allowed to go on TV and shit all over Pogba for even existing. Its opinions.

Maybe its time for people to consider the way they speak in open forum if they want to have a cordial conversation.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They deserve zero support. Why waste the time? They’re not trying so why should we?
Exactly. I love this club, have done all my life and that's why this hurts to see. But if they're clearly just back slapping and giving jobs for the boys, what exactly is there to support anymore? We're going nowhere, the club doesn't care and is apparently refusing to even bother looking at what can be done. It's just the lowest point in my life supporting United. I'm ready to tap out for a bit for the good of my health.

I'd say he is a manager who has been operating in a job above his ceiling for a number of years and has done far better than the people who hired him or our fans had the right to expect.
Obviously, time for him to be moved on when the right replacement is identified. Really though the level of hatred that is getting aimed at him is pretty surprising.
Because he’s talked a whole load of nonsense for 3 years. Pretty much used buzzwords to pull the heartstring of United fans but in reality has put none of his words into action.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Am i wrong? Scroll through older posts. How many here said that he will leave by himself? How many said that he is great man manager?
And i don't mean that "exposed" in a bad way. Just that lots of opinions about him were and are completely wrong.
He is definitely a good man manager. If he is not and has no tactics then he would have not finished 3rd and 2nd in the league or reached so many semi finals. And if it‘s just because our squad was too good, then why is it not good this season anymore regardless of the manager?
What is happening currently is what happens with every manager including top managers apart from very few like SAF whose methods worked year after year.
Poch had a really bad last season at Spurs. Tuchel got bad results in his last few months at PSG. Things which were working previously for them didn‘t work anymore. That doesn’t mean that all of a sudden they turned into rubbish tacticians or coaches, but that their time was up.

Same way Ole has not turned into a rubbish manager. Just that things which worked for him aren‘t working anymore because he can‘t take this squad any further. Now a point has been reached where it hardly matters who we play, most of the time it‘s just not going to work until this cycle is over and a change has been made.

Also ole gets credit for removing the toxicity caused by Mourinho. Has it not occurred to people that as soon as Mourinho left the toxicity would have gone, players would have been relieved and eager for the change. It’s not as if they’d keep whatever hatred they had for Mourinho to the next manager.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I'm changing my vote to 'No - Give him more time' in the hope that it might work as a jinx and they sack him.

Shark

@NotShark
They deserve zero support. Why waste the time? They’re not trying so why should we?
A massive boycott is required if the fans really want change. We heard Rio even come out the other day and call a spade a spade. The fans need to act now and fast.

LARulz

I'm actually done with all this shit for now. I can't believe how fecking stupid the club are when it comes to football - they may be good at making/keeping their money but not on the point of the club

I can't believe Ole is still here and has almost no pressure on his job

Eplel

In the end, Gary Neville is not a journalist, he's a pundit who can have any opinion he wants.
No one says he should not have an opinion. But as a pundit, it is expected of him to have an informed opinion (that's what makes pundit a good pundit), not a biased one.
Further to this, having an opinion means nothing if you're not prepared to change your views when presented with concrete evidence that your opinion is on the wrong side (Instead if you just dig in, that shows stubbornness, an element that will not allow you to argue in good faith).

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No one denies he should not have an opinion. But as a pundit, it is expected of him to have an informed opinion (that's what makes pundit a good pundit), not a biased one.
Further to this, having an opinion means nothing if you're not prepared to change your views when presented with concrete evidence that your opinion is on the wrong side (Instead if you just dig in, that shows stubbornness, an element that will not allow you to argue in good faith).
I'm just guessing since I don't know Gary, but its not wholly unreasonable to say that maybe he is taking this stance because he's seen people also not argue in good faith.

greendevil

He's going nowhere looking at the fixture list! Could say all winnable games bar Chelsea away and the Board wont do it. November Watford A Villareal A Chelsea A, December Arsenal H Crystal Palace H Young Boys H Norwich A Brentford A Brighton H Newcastle A Burnley H, January Wolves H then two week break...

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I agree whole heartedly about the owners, it’s quite clear they don’t give a fig about the on pitch issues - but I’d take issue with the bit about Ole being stubborn. Maybe he genuinely believes he can turn this around? Maybe he thinks he is acting in the best interests of the club in keeping stability and continuity. We don’t know because he is a private guy and keeps the media at arms length with cliches and platitudes. He certainly isn’t a quitter, and he isn’t going to give up. If he is to move on then it I’ll have to come from the club.
Yes I believe he genuinely thinks he can turn it around but that also points to delusion. In these 3 years, his coaching hasn't demonstrated a clear style of play and continuous improvement. Results were achieved through good runs here and there which weren't always down to good performances. If he sees his team from a 3rd person point of view, he will see that there is clear lack of coaching ability in him & his staff and it has in fact gone downhill. But he is refusing to do so. Players look lost on pitch. In such case, he should recognise things aren't working and should walk with mutual consent.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He's going nowhere looking at the fixture list! Could say all winnable games bar Chelsea away and the Board wont do it. November Watford A Villareal A Chelsea A, December Arsenal H Crystal Palace H Young Boys H Norwich A Brentford A Brighton H Newcastle A Burnley H, January Wolves H then two week break...
The perfect time to bring a new coach in who can implement ideas and build a bit of confidence...

Shark

@NotShark
Guarantee we won't beat Watford or Villareal.

He'll still be here for Chelsea.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
Not an easy fixture list at all. We'll be in a mess.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The club followed Rio last time when he told them to get the contract out and put it on the table. Let’s hope they listen to him again.

lilcurt

Guarantee we won't beat Watford or Villareal.

He'll still be here for Chelsea.
The next three games I see being the same as the last three, beat Watford, draw Villarreal, loss Chelsea. Apparantly this is acceptable now.

McUnited

For those wanting Solskjaer sacked, how many defeats would you be willing to stomach in order to do so? Would you be happy to cheer the opposing team for the next 5 matches, for example, for the ‘greater good‘ of removing the manager? Or would 10 consecutive defeats, perhaps, be the price you’re willing to pay if it means that would bring a new manager in?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We'll win 6 or 7 even with Ole and we'll hear Ole's at the wheel belting out again at Old Trafford.

If Ole survives this break, he'll still be here next season. The distraction techniques are easy come summer for the club, it'll all be about how we're signing this player or that player and all the sheep will lap it up as though it will make a difference. We'll be back in this situation come next season.

lilcurt

For those wanting Solskjaer sacked, how many defeats would you be willing to stomach in order to do so? Would you be happy to cheer the opposing team for the next 5 matches, for example, for the ‘greater good‘ of removing the manager? Or would 10 consecutive defeats, perhaps, be the price you’re willing to pay if it means that would bring a new manager in?
The problem is, we have no notion that any amount of losses will force the boards hand. It's inconceivable he is in a job now!

United Hobbit

He's clearly not going anywhere is he? (Apart from on holiday)

The club is absolutely pathetic from top to bottom, and is clearly OK with being the laughing stock of English football currently. Seriously, what does he actually have to do to get the sack?

We could face the good players we've managed to assemble leaving, causing us to descend even further into mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.